Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:36 pm 

Mikael Åkerfeldt wrote:
Well, we’re about to start up the ole machine again after our longest (involuntary) break ever. We’ve kept rather silent during all this time. We haven’t done much press or public appearances. No streaming shows and of course, no ‘real’ shows. We’ve kept to ourselves, biding our time. Coming back to North America will be a treat, even if there are conflicting emotions.

We’ve become used to being out of sight. But playing live is such an integral part of being in this band. We need to get back out there to see if we still have it in us. Stepping out on a stage after all this time will surely be a nerve-wrecking experience, but we count on you to help us out. We’ll be traveling with familiar faces however. Together with our friends in Mastodon. But also with new acquaintances, Zeal & Ardor.

Going on tour during these times means serious restrictions of course. It will be strange in so many ways. But once we’re up there we trust the power of music will take over and make us feel secure. We collectively look forward to this (with a slight touch of pure fear).

To wrap this up: Won’t see you in the pub (unfortunately), but we sincerely hope to see you through the limelight. For us, this coming tour is already memorable. Odd!

11/16 Asheville, NC – ExploreAsheville.com Arena
11/18 Boston, MA – The Wang Theatre
11/19 Albany, NY – Palace Theatre
11/20 New York City – Hammerstein Ballroom
11/21 Washington, DC – The Anthem
11/23 Nashville, TN – Ryman Auditorium
11/24 Atlanta, GA – The Eastern
11/26 Austin, TX – ACL Live at the Moody Theater
11/27 Dallas, TX – South Side Ballroom
11/28 Sugar Land, TX – Smart Financial Centre at Sugar Land
11/30 Mesa, AZ – Mesa Amphitheatre
12/01 Los Angeles, CA – Hollywood Palladium
12/02 Oakland, CA – Fox Theater
12/04 Salt Lake City, UT – The Union
12/05 Denver, CO – The Mission Ballroom

Mikael does not sound very confident that this is even going to happen, and I have to say, I'm really surprised that this was announced given the current state of the pandemic in this country. I'm not getting my hopes up, but my partner and I went ahead and got tickets for the Austin date. There's absolutely no telling what the state of the world will be at that time, and there's a chance this tour won't even happen. But whenever Opeth comes to the US, it's always a real treat, and I'll try my best to catch them no matter what. I haven't listened to Mastodon in years, so I have no idea what they're doing now. Zeal & Ardor is a name that I've heard popping up quite a bit, but I haven't checked them out either. If this tour happens, it could be cool to get there early and check them out.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:49 pm 

These tours happening continue to surprise me. But given that Judas Priest and Sabaton were able to enter the US before the UK and EU travel restrictions were lifted (a few days ago) I guess European bands touring here is just a thing again?

It just seems like such a huge gamble. It's almost inevitable that someone involved will catch covid and derail the tour or at least a couple shows. So far that's happened to BTBAM, Mudvayne, Korn, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Kiss, Vio-lence, Slipknot, The Skull (resulted in Eric Wagner's death), Intronaut, Limp Bizkit... the list goes on and on and on. The Black Dahlia tour is the only big one I can think that hasn't been affected.

Zeal & Ardor are super unique and interesting. Though I caught one of their first shows and it was pretty bad, they don't have much live experience and were nervous/sloppy.

Reply to topic