08/03 Balingen, GER – Messegelande

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:27 am 

I'll be at the Ottawa show.

brad265
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:54 pm 

Anyone from the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area, going to be at the May 8th show?

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:18 am 

These guys are never gonna quit. They're already playing a new "Final Show" in my city even though their last show was supposed to be the final show.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:48 pm 

Going to the show on the 25th in Mansfield, MA with a good bunch of friends. Can't wait. All of these bands are bucket list bands. I'm fucking pumped.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:13 pm 

The show was fucking awesome. The crowd was great, tons of battle vests and even a guy with a battle kilt covered in death metal logos. It was a great way to introduce my brother and a friend to the live show experience.

Cannibal Corpse opened with some songs from their latest albums but it's when "I Cum Blood" came on that I lost my shit. Corpsegrinder gave that legendary line, "this next song is about shooting blood from your cock!" Between that and "Stripped Raped and Strangled" I was on cloud nine.

Then came Amon Amarth. They opened with "The Pursuit of Vikings", played a few numbers from their latest album, did a great job with "Deceiver of the Gods" and the riff from "As Loke Falls" sounded gorgeous. The highlight of that show was when the guys from the other bands came out and hopped on the viking ship to start rowing to "Raise Your Horns", Hegg at one point said "Raise your sharks" while wearing a shark hat and it was fun time all around. "Asator" was an unexpected number in their set and the fury of it worked so well for the crowd, the pit on the other side of the lawn from where I was erupted and one of my friends pointed out to me a line of guys running across the field when the pit started to get into the shit.

Afterwards, Lamb of God played "512", brought "Ruin", got the crowd riled up with "Now You've got Something to Die For" and had a lot of people in the audience belting out "Redneck". Their show is where things went from fun to furious and it made "Laid to Rest" all the more cathartic to rage at. Of my group, most of them liked Lamb of God the best.

As night fell, Slayer set up and in a flash four giant white crosses appeared on the stage. The anticipation got to me as much as my aching feet until the crosses started to turn. The inversion of the four crucifixes brought an astounding wave of cheers and FUCKING SLAYER started up.

The show was a blur of "Postmortem", "Disciple", "Mandatory Suicide", "South of Heaven", and a dozen songs blasting and crashing down with a slight break in between where Araya, in a bit of a grandfatherly way, called out someone who seemed to have been pulling another person off the gate that they were holding onto at the front of the stage.

What really got me, knowing that this was possibly the band's last show in the area, was that they did the turn from "Raining Blood" into "Black Magic" that I'd watched numerous times in an old youtube clip.

That feeling of completeness, that I've grown so much in life to get to this show, to finally be able to experience this wicked brutality and everything throughout the years has paid off took me in those minutes while a guy next to me, very reserved, took out his phone to video some of the show and golf clapped after each song. Just as they seemed to be done, the band went into "Angel of Death" to close the show and it was a major highlight of the night for me. Hungover, having to shit, feet aching, and with a headache a mile wide from losing my shit for hours didn't matter. I still wrecked my neck to the end of that show and lost my voice to boot.

Araya didn't say much, the other frontmen, Corpsegrinder, Hegg, and Blythe said more about how this was their last show with Slayer and how much it meant to them to be touring with such a legendary outfit. After Slayer's set though, the band came back out, tossed out picks, drumsticks, and other things I could barely see into the crowd, but Araya stood there for a little while longer before saying quietly, "I'm going to miss this" before my bunch made our ways to the gate.

In all, it's a show that I can easily say was one of my favorites. It's the heaviest show I've seen in a decade since I was headbanging with some dude in his 50s to Nile and Immolation, a time when I had the hair to match my never skipping neck day. Though it'll still be second to being able to headbang as a teenager right at the stage to Suffocation, it was one hell of a way to bond with friends I've had for nearly two decades and never been to a show with. It's a special thing to be part of a crowd of nearing ten thousand people all screaming "God Hates Us All" as three flamethrowers create a massive inverted cross behind two of the biggest legends in the genre. So incredibly unique, dastardly, and fun all at once.

Thank you Tom Araya and Kerry King for all you've done for metal!

One of my friends just started on his metal journey just a couple of years ago and this was an eye-opening experience for him to see just how insane yet civil such a setting is, let alone how this stuff sounds live and what an album may attempt to create in its production. Next to me were an older guy and a kid, who I presume, was his twelve year old son. We talked between the bands about music and they both were having the times of their lives. The kid showed off his battle vest he was working on covered in patches of bands that I'd kill to see live, he had even seen Sabbath when he was eight years old. Another guy who walked by chatted with me about black metal for a little while and his friend who was with him had been to Norway to Helvete among other places and gotten a picture in the legendary basement. The crowd around our group was amazingly fun, funny, and there just to have a great time. A crowd of headbangers in their 40s was behind us and they belted out all the lyrics to Slayer's songs when the headliner came up. It was great to hear the spread while giving my own voice to the sound. One drunk guy between Slayer songs started going "play another song about Hell, I want to know what it's like". It had me laughing a bit while one of my friends was smoking up this guy in his 60s as his own kids tried to reign him in lol. Legal weed in the state made things even more fun for the bunch. I stayed sober. Going to a show is a sober event for me, I'll drink a case of beer after, but I'll be sober for the show.

We're going back to this venue to see Maiden if it's not sold out on August 1, hope some metal-archives folks are there so we can headbang together. PM me if you're going. I can't fucking wait! The bucket list is getting much shorter as this summer goes on.

Still, this lineup was impossible to ignore for me. Lamb of God is why I started getting into metalcore, Slayer was on my mind before I even got my first metal album, and Cannibal Corpse was the first death metal I'd ever heard. Each band, so perfectly placed in its tune to my own metal journey, it made this show perfect for me.

Next show I'm going to is Blue Oyster Cult only a week away. I'm taking my mom to it at the same place she took me to my first ever concert, America, in the same building I graduated in and that my friend's band, Nazawrath, played in years back. Gotta love a small town for connections like that.

Lol so this is what they were doing during "Raise Your Horns"

Reply to topic