Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NotOdayaka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:30 am 

Just FYI to Azmodes I would reply to your DM but I don’t have the privilege considering how few posts I have. Sent you an email with what you have listed on your profile, thanks!

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:32 pm 

Due to personal circumstances arising I'm also forced to sell my ticket. Asking for the price I paid for it (+ fees if paying with Paypal G&S). Please PM me if you're interested.

Sold!

Last edited by Nightsward on Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:12 pm 

Quit bailing on me, y'all!

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:13 pm 

Last edited by Nightsward on Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:43 am 

Nightsward wrote:
Nightsward wrote:
Due to personal circumstances arising I'm also forced to sell my ticket. Asking for the price I paid for it (+ fees if paying with Paypal G&S). Please PM me if you're interested.

Still available!

Does it come with a free plane ticket to the US?

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:54 am 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Nightsward wrote:
Nightsward wrote:

Still available!

Does it come with a free plane ticket to the US?

I'd provide one if I could :(

clovenhooved
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:17 am 

Is that ticket still available for sale, Nightsward? I already booked my flight and hotel, just need a ticket for the festival (I already have one for the pre-party). Trying to avoid paying a king's ransom for one if possible (and begging for one like a bum from Nadsokor outside of the actual festival).

Nightsward
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:07 am 

clovenhooved wrote:
Is that ticket still available for sale, Nightsward? I already booked my flight and hotel, just need a ticket for the festival (I already have one for the pre-party). Trying to avoid paying a king's ransom for one if possible (and begging for one like a bum from Nadsokor outside of the actual festival).

Sent you a PM.

clovenhooved
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:01 pm 

Got a ticket now, thank Crom (and Nightsward)! :)

Juansoto
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:00 am 

Where I review the lineup for this year?
thanks!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:07 am 

Satan and Enforcer just cancelled. I was most excited for them, so that sucks. But given the state of the world I imagine there will be more cancellations. Replacement for those two is a "surprise guest" and a cover band :roll:

https://www.facebook.com/hellsheroesfest/

Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:00 am 

I cannot make this trip. I am available to sell my ticket if anyone is interested: Normal price. Please send a PM if you're interested, and we can discuss further.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:20 pm 

:( :( :(

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:38 pm 

Set times were just posted:
Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

Smoulder is not listed but there's been no announcement about them dropping...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:44 am 

if anyone was planning on staying at the holiday inn express right next to the venue i would suggest quickly finding an alternative

Azmodes wrote:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:17 am 

I'm in an airbnb down the street but I'm curious what happened

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:10 am 

I'll be there. Can't wait for Slough Feg, Riot, Cirith Ungol and some others. Interested in some of the earlier bands I never heard. I am getting back into fucking Medieval Steel for the first time since high school over this. Candlemass and Dark Angel oughta be something too.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:46 pm 

Oh shit Sumerlands are playing?

Does that mean they're a band again?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:13 pm 

I got my ticket and I'll be there (thanks again Derigin). Definitely bummed that Satan had to drop, as they were the band I was most excited about. I heard visa issues were to blame, which seem to be a problem for a lot of international bands coming here. I'm still pumped to see Bewitcher, Eternal Champion, and Candlemass though! My first thought for the "surprise guest": Mercyful Fate. I know that's wishful thinking and probably not going to happen, but I know they got screwed out of their reunion that was supposed to happen in 2020, so it would be awesome if they just randomly appeared on a trad metal fest like this.

As someone who lives in Texas, I will say don't expect any sort of COVID precautions. Masks were barely enforced in most places outside of metropolitan areas, and the Governor signed an executive order last year saying that any state institutions are no longer allowed to enforce COVID-related restrictions, and that businesses can decide if they want to or not. I've only seen a handful of businesses that still enforce mask-wearing outside of hospitals, and it's basically left up to the individual, and most people don't do it anymore. The good news is that we have been experiencing a dip in cases recently, and hopefully that trend continues in the weeks to come as the festival approaches.

As for meeting up, it would be really cool to meet some of y'all who are coming in for the fest. Would anyone like to start a discord server for people who are planning to go? Or perhaps we could use the MA discord server? I'm not on there much so I haven't checked out our server yet, but I'm open to any suggestions as to how we could get in contact to meet up once we're there.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:04 pm 

My guess for the guest is Helstar - they're from Texas if I remember correctly and are the kinda band that gets a shitload of praise in these circles.

I am going to be doing comedy in Houston for two days before the fest. Just message me here if you want to meet up.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:04 am 

Helstar is already playing the pre-fest on Thursday.

I'm down to meet up! Yeah, y'all can DM me here and I'll shoot you my number or something.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:30 pm 

i almost never check the forums anymore, whoops. fest was cool, special guest was a bit of a joke though lol

Azmodes wrote:

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:13 am 

I ended up meeting Empyreal and narsilianshard and chatting with them on a few occasions throughout the fest. It was super cool to meet y'all and I hope to meet more people from the forum at shows! @Erosion of Humanity - this is a fest that gets better each year and I'm sure I'll continue attending. If you come back next year let me know!

Having Midnight as the secret guest was not super surprising because they headlined the first Hell's Heroes and have connections to a lot of the bands that played. But they absolutely ripped and were one of the highlights of the first night for me. Candlemass also destroyed the fucking place.

On the second day, Haunt really surprised me and I became an instant fan. I really enjoy the energetic melodic heavy metal style they have, and the emotional vocal delivery works for their sound. Eternal Champion really kicked ass too, it was good to see them again. It was cool when the vocalist for Visigoth got up there to do guest vocals with them. Hadn't really listened to Slough Feg or Riot before, but both of their performances really stood out to me and they brought the energy.

The upstairs room sucked and I hope they do a different venue next year. They were packing everyone in there like sardines, and I only braved it for Bewitcher. The sound downstairs was amazing, but it was night and day between the two stages. I felt bad for the bands that had to play upstairs, and it would be better if they got a place that had two stages that were both good.

Overall a really amazing fest and I would highly recommended it for any fans of traditional heavy metal, although there are bands from other styles as well. It was so cool to see so many people travel from out of state, and even out of the country for this festival. It's only the fourth one and it has already garnered a lot of attention, which is really awesome for the scene in Texas. Even the vocalist for Eternal Champion said on stage that he lived in Texas all his life and could have never imagined something this cool happening here. So thanks to everyone who came in for it and helping make it be such a badass festival!

Dallasa
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:55 am 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
The upstairs room sucked and I hope they do a different venue next year. They were packing everyone in there like sardines, and I only braved it for Bewitcher. The sound downstairs was amazing, but it was night and day between the two stages. I felt bad for the bands that had to play upstairs, and it would be better if they got a place that had two stages that were both good.

Upstairs was fucking HORRIBLE. I legit did not feel safe in there and at one point thought I was going to faint and had to go sit outside. Gave up after that and just listened to the upstairs sets from the hallway outside the room. It's kind of baffling to me because it looked like there was a nice outdoor stage they could have used instead as the secondary (or main) stage instead of that cramped room.

Great lineup, great sound, and overall great fest though.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:30 pm 

It was such a good time! So good hanging with you, Brutalizer. I said hi to Empy but not sure he heard me, lol. Wish I knew y'all other folks (did Morrigan make it?) were there too!

Definitely going back next year, though yeah, the upstairs room was way too small and the sound was awful up there. Plus I can't believe Texas doesn't allow re-entry to venues so you were stuck waiting an hour for food which was insane. Midnight, Eternal Champion, Oath of Cruelty, and High Spirits were my highlights.

My wishlist for the future is Twisted Tower Dire, Gygax, Tanith, Night Flight, and more euro PM would be killer.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:33 pm 

Yeah, I was pretty steadily more drunk that whole first night to the point where I just ended up leaving without really a clear reason to. Hadn't been able to drink for a few days due to driving and doing some other stuff so I made up for it probably too much that night. Candlemass killed. Whiplash did great too that first day - I never heard them or Midnight who were also excellent.

Night Demon and Haunt were both solid though they sounded exactly like what I expected. Eternal Champion and Traveler were both impressive even if it didn't really excite me. The singer from EC looks like a professional wrestler.

Blood Star was the clear highlight of the younger bands for me... so good. Savage Master did pretty well too.

Slough Feg and Riot just ripped the place to shreds - Slough Feg was my favorite and Scalzi's wild stage presence was such a breath of fresh air. Them doing "Baltech's Lament" and everyone just singing along to that wonky space ballad like it was Journey. Great. The songs came alive and sounded so fucking heavy.

But Riot was just so fucking exceptionally good. Biggest pit I've ever seen. The singer sounded identical to Tony Moore on the old tunes and the band played like they were on fire. Cirith Ungol came close to being that good - Tim Baker has a very librarian-esque demeanor on stage and was just magnetic to watch, and the sound was heavier and darker than any of their old albums ever got, a real cool effect.

Medieval Steel was wild to me. The singer's demeanor and attitude were like your uncle at Thanksgiving but then he sings and it's like this great majestic siren wail like he always had. His mid-song banter was crazy - he dedicates a song off the new album to Ukraine, which is a cool gesture, but I was like 'didn't this album come out like a week after that conflict started?' Just a bit funny to me. They did pretty well but you could tell it's just that one guy and a bunch of hired guns really.

I'd love to go back again especially if they could get Jag Panzer, Satan's Host, Seasons of the Wolf, maybe some newer ones like Sanhedrin, Old Mother Hell, etc. I hope plane tickets are less expensive then. This drive has been brutal. I'm still not home yet.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:08 pm 

Y'all should get over to the picture thread! I wanna know who I saw without realizing it!

I really wanted to do a meet up, but my phone inexplicably wouldn't let me post on the forums until I got home!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:39 pm 

I've heard from 10 people that attended who got covid from it. Definitely turned into a super spreader. Go get, tested, y'all! Now I don't feel so silly for being the only person in a pit with a mask.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:49 pm 

I was one of them. But I got lucky in that this was a mild case. Not even in the top 3 illnesses or weird things to happen to me since this all started. Glad to have the vax.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:54 pm 

I *cannot* believe Riot played Altar of the King. When they started playing that intro I went absolutely nuts.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:17 am 

Didn't attend, but question to those who did: Did Johan from Candlemass sing the EDM songs like his old '86 self or did he sound more like he did on The Door to Doom?

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:23 pm 

I adore Candlemass, but he barely has a singing voice at all at this point. He basically has to growl all of the low to mid notes, and he doesn't have a single high note left in his body.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:10 pm 

Johan sounded more gruff for sure, yeah. But I thought it was a good performance regardless, it fit the music really well and the whole band was just phenomenal. Loved it.

Riot was also the other highlight. I agree with Empyreal's review of it, just spectacular all around. :headbang:

And of course shout-out to all the M-A peeps I got to hang out with, you guys are the best <3

Oh and it's been almost a week and no covid here yet...! I think we're in the clear? HellBlazer and I were among the only people with a mask on (if you saw a tall dude with a short girl with both masks on amidst a sea of unmasked folks, that was probably us, lol), maybe it paid off?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:42 pm 

I believe I was like right in front of you guys during Riot for some part of it.

I did wear a mask sometimes during the second day but I guess it was too little too late for me at that point. I just hadn't had one with me the first day on accident.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:00 pm 

Had tickets to this like 3 years ago, and the real thing did not disappoint at all. Absolutely worth the effort to get out there and exist in Houston for a weekend. Helstar, Eternal Champion, Sumerlands, Solicitor, Blood Star and Slough Feg were probably the best sets out of the non-headliners. Eternal Champion probably took the cake for the whole weekend though. When Tarpey came out in that chain mail hood, I felt chills and the crowd got absolutely ignorant (just how I hoped they would). Sumerlands playing The Siege of Jerusalem was legendary as well, it's a shame that the upstairs bands werent filmed. Guess it'll just remain a kvlt "you had to be there" moment, which is ok since I was there :P

Being able to see Candlemass, Cirith Ungol, Riot, etc without traveling to Europe is a pretty big deal. Was definitely a dream come true to my thrasher teenage self to see Whiplash and Dark Angel as well. I really appreciate the opportunity to meet MA people for the first time, and drink prodigiously with plenty of random metal maniacs. Probably gonna start watching some of the footage this weekend, I'm finally ready to revisit the Candlemass and EC sets. I really hope that guy also filmed Cirith Ungol, because I was pretty zombified by the end of their set, and will need some refreshing lol.

Can't wait for next year, and would love to see lots of the canceled bands attempt to return, especially Smoulder, Satan and Gatekeeper.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 1:28 pm 

ahhh yeah, for anyone not in the know, if you saw a dude in kahki shorts, slam shirts, and a flat brimmed NASA hat you saw me. and by default probably saw the rest of the MA discord crew. admittedly, again, i hardly ever check the forums anymore and most of our communication is/was/is over our discord server. out of he 11 people in our group only one got covid so that was a big W in my book.

the fest was decent, not really my style of metal but i enjoyed myself. probably will go back cause of homies and my girlfriend. though id like to see that upstairs stage burn in hell and have them run the outside stage and the downstairs stage. Emanon and I were talking with some locals who said white oak built it without the proper permits or something so the neighbors hate it and made complaints about the noise and whatnot. unclear if/when they will be able to use it for stuff. would also like to see both reentry and more food options since waiting a fucking hour for food is ridiculous as hell. even during candlemass it still took me 45 minutes to get food....

Azmodes wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2