Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 pm 

Looking for advice here. There's a Ross the boss show tonight around my area. Tickets are $20 at the door. Still scratching my head on it. Is it worth it? I'm not familiar with his work outside manowar.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:09 pm 

He only played 1 new song during his most recent tour. I saw em play an unreal show with the previous singer and KIT but the new one seems fine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnkimiwaji4

Last edited by tomcat_ha on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:22 pm 

I might be a bit prejudiced when it comes to Manowar and/or Ross the Boss. Manowar themselves seem to financially pull every teeth they can find (organizers, support bands, fans, merch sellers, etc.) but that's mainly Joey speaking. I will never pay what my buds paid in Germany... that was some € 120,- for a show that lasted about 20 minutes ('the volume in here can't be as high as Manowar sets as standard' and Joey walked off, never to return, fans and organizer baffled)
Ross has an OK band with him. They simply do his songs correctly (and if possible, loud enough) ; whenever Manowar songs or under his own name; he's not the biggest show dude or whatever and the old songs don't really need it too. Many fans just want to hear the songs. I'm OK with that, I've seen Ross' band on RockHard once and that was pretty good.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:54 pm 

Saw the Vancouver show on Tuesday which sounds like it was the same one you were thinking of going to? I loved it. They only played one non-Manowar song. Lots from Hail to England, including Bridge of Death! They have the bassist of Symphony X on this run and he's incredible to watch. Ross is playing like a fucking madman and was hanging out at the bar before the show. Only complaint: No songs from Into Glory Ride. The singer is very skilled and kept his stamina up the entire show. Ross playing keyboards in a few specific areas is a nice touch. Great gig!
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

lloyd93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:26 pm 

YES!
Ross the Boss is the BOSS!
The set list for his recent tour is fucking awesome, lots of Manowar stuff, especially from the older albums.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:47 pm 

Yes - saw him at Bloodstock in the UK - Manowar stuff, which was great fun (including the standards like Hail and Kill, Fighting the World). His current singer is spot on, and he can still play like it matters.

Go see him - just don't think too hard about the lyrics when you're singing along :lol:

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:10 pm 

Woops... almost forgot about this thread. Well, I ended up going and it was definitely worth it. They are the type of band that should be playing in bigger open air festivals instead of small, half empty venues. It's 100% Manowar setlist except from one song from their most recent record. Even though it had a poor attendance, the show was great. Ross (which is pretty much a living legend of heavy metal) and the rest of the band are not only awesome musicians but also very humble people who enjoy connecting with the crowd. LePond on bass is a beast!! Plus you don't have to expect dealing with demaio's bullshit, so I take that as a perk.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:16 pm 

Element_man wrote:
Saw the Vancouver show on Tuesday which sounds like it was the same one you were thinking of going to?

I was at the Seattle one, pretty close! I think Vancouver was the next day

kkingccrimson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:27 am 

I'll be at the show this Friday in Kansas City.

kkingccrimson
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:57 am 

Great show.
He handed me a guitar pick at the end of the show,and later took the time to sign items.

Reply to topic