Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:03 pm 

I thought it would be interesting to start up a thread regarding this topic , so here it goes :

I have so far attended one such concert back in August when it was still possible in my stomping grounds and while it was mostly geared towards blues/hard rock a few classic metal bands played nonetheless , so I hope I haven't inadvertently committed too great of an off topic transgression . :)

At any rate the concert itself was more like a one off/one day festival of the " drive thru " variety that's popped up recently , what with almost every attendant sitting in their cars or on their motorbikes , though pedestrians were allowed in as well as long as they kept the required distance of 1,5 meters minimum per person .

I can honestly say that the requirement of having to distance yourself didn't bother me in the least , in fact it was a welcome change to the ( obviously ) often crowded conditions one tends to experience at such events , on the other hand the fact that one wasn't allowed to mix and mingle with other attendees was a definite downer in my case .

This will ( unfortunately ) be my one and only live review contribution since I haven't/won't be attending any more events of this type for the foreseeable future , what with all big gatherings having been banned in my country , however I do hope that it was at least somewhat informative . :metal:

P.S. I would have delved way into such factors as the energy of the bands/variety of their set lists / all the good stuff one loves to read , however every single one of the aforementioned bands were local/at best only known in Hungary outfits that probably nobody else is familiar with on this forum , however if anyone is curious then feel free to mention as much and I'll gladly attempt to crack up a better live review .

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:45 pm 

To delve a bit further and ( hopefully ) make this live review of mine a bit more worth reading , one of the bands that played actually featured an ex member of the Rudán Joe Band , which ( as all those who are familiar with the old school Hungarian metal scene surely know ) was the brain child of Pokolgép's second best known frontman ...

Said band even did a few covers of Rudán Joe era Pokolgép songs ( like f.ex A harang értem szól ) , which were pretty good in their own right , albeit it must be said that ( IMHO ) the vocalist came off a bit too screechy in his delivery .

Moving on to the " social/environmental " aspect of the gig , there were a few cops stationed outside the entrance to make sure that the number of participants didn't exceed the maximum 500 attendees allowed limit which was in force at the time , and the gig itself was by invitation only FWIW .

In fact as far as I know all bigger gigs held in Hungary this past summer were of the invitation only variety , which is why I'd be curious to read if other had similar restrictions as well .

Anyways I'll be sure to type down anything else worth mentioning soon enough and hopefully others will jot down their own experiences as well . :)

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:20 pm 

My band managed to squeeze in a show in August during a small window when such events were being put on. Everyone was either at a table, at the bar or along the wall and seated. Definitely not the same energy but people still headbanged and screamed; obviously appreciative to get some kind of live music.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:21 pm 

My band played a show in September, and has another show coming up in February. It's a bit odd; there is no pit, and everyone kinda keeps their distance, which is good. People were still rocking out and having a good time. I've attended a few other local shows that my band wasn't playing at, and it's been enjoyable, even with the restrictions. I don't really mind people not slamming into me, it's a nice change. I'm definitely looking forward to this being over and done with, but the music does live on. I do feel for those who live in places where it is impossible to see a show at all!

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:46 am 

Sokaris wrote:
My band managed to squeeze in a show in August during a small window when such events were being put on. Everyone was either at a table, at the bar or along the wall and seated. Definitely not the same energy but people still headbanged and screamed; obviously appreciative to get some kind of live music.

Interesting ...

May I ask which country did the gig take place in/what sort of restrictions ( if any ) in your current neck of the woods are in place with respect to shows being held ?

It's still the same story here in the Gulyás Republic , i.e. putting on a concert is currently illegal since all events are banned as such .

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:50 am 

pyratebastard wrote:
My band played a show in September, and has another show coming up in February. It's a bit odd; there is no pit, and everyone kinda keeps their distance, which is good. People were still rocking out and having a good time. I've attended a few other local shows that my band wasn't playing at, and it's been enjoyable, even with the restrictions. I don't really mind people not slamming into me, it's a nice change. I'm definitely looking forward to this being over and done with, but the music does live on. I do feel for those who live in places where it is impossible to see a show at all!

Yup the fact that present day restrictions have effectively done away with the issue of people slamming into you at gigs is definitely a nice change ...

Are concerts currently permitted in Virginia by the way ? I'm asking because , to my limited knowledge , COVID restrictions in the US can greatly vary on a state by state basis which is why I'm curious .

electric27
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:24 pm 

Here's a question for you all: Has anyone attended/played any "off the books" shows where such restrictions are not in place? Something like the generator parties featured in the desert rock scene of the early 90's? I'm in a pretty rural area and really like the idea of throwing together something on a farm involving a generator, a couple of kegs, a cheap PA and a makeshift stage.

III

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:02 am 

I am just listening new album "To The End" by Memoriam. During listen I somehow vividly remembered how I attended 2 of their concerts here in The Netherlands before it all started, and suddenly tears started flowing from my eyes, and I realized how much I miss it, going to the shows, drinking beer with other metalheads and all that.
There were some opportunities to go to some small shows with restrictions last summer, one time I was prevented by problems on the railway from going, and another times it was just too off putting to follow all those restrictions at the venue. I am pretty sure I wouldnt enjoy it, I mean, common... being seated at the venue, not being allowed to move around, and to be there with only another 20 or so unfortunates, when normally there can be way more people, it just kills almost all the enjoyment.
I wonder it it will EVER get back to normal, as it used to be at the shows. To be honest, I wouldnt be surprised at all, if some restrictions will still be there for years to come... need to book in advance, reduced capacity in the venue, showing the negative test result... As long as it is in this pathetic state, I will be very hesitant about attending anything.
Also, I was quite amused about some organisers announcing concerts and selling tickets earlier this year, I was like: are you serious? I can better buy a ticket for a lottery than this! and obviously I was right, all those shows were either cancelled or pushed to another date, ranging from few months to an entire year later, and rescheduled even multiple times. And even though I understand their effort, I dont feel like spending money on a totally useless ticket... I would rather buy a t-shirt directly from the band or something... that makes much more sense. I think in eastern europe it can get relatively back to some reasonable state sooner than here in The Netherlands, where people are trained to death to follow set of rules and restrictions in any area of life you can think of. The most "free" thing you can do is having a walk on a marked paths in the forest.

KayBur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:38 am 

To be honest, I have a very poor idea of how this event will take place in the fan zone. So that people don't get close to each other and don't get fan from the concert, this is already a parody of the fan zone.

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:13 am 

electric27 wrote:
Here's a question for you all: Has anyone attended/played any "off the books" shows where such restrictions are not in place? Something like the generator parties featured in the desert rock scene of the early 90's? I'm in a pretty rural area and really like the idea of throwing together something on a farm involving a generator, a couple of kegs, a cheap PA and a makeshift stage.

I personally haven't attended any such shows and it would be rather hard to do so in my neck of the woods , what with the authorities in a densely populated country being able to catch on rather quick and all ...

Khan Vozdig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:15 am 

slavonic777 wrote:
I am just listening new album "To The End" by Memoriam. During listen I somehow vividly remembered how I attended 2 of their concerts here in The Netherlands before it all started, and suddenly tears started flowing from my eyes, and I realized how much I miss it, going to the shows, drinking beer with other metalheads and all that.
There were some opportunities to go to some small shows with restrictions last summer, one time I was prevented by problems on the railway from going, and another times it was just too off putting to follow all those restrictions at the venue. I am pretty sure I wouldnt enjoy it, I mean, common... being seated at the venue, not being allowed to move around, and to be there with only another 20 or so unfortunates, when normally there can be way more people, it just kills almost all the enjoyment.
I wonder it it will EVER get back to normal, as it used to be at the shows. To be honest, I wouldnt be surprised at all, if some restrictions will still be there for years to come... need to book in advance, reduced capacity in the venue, showing the negative test result... As long as it is in this pathetic state, I will be very hesitant about attending anything.
Also, I was quite amused about some organisers announcing concerts and selling tickets earlier this year, I was like: are you serious? I can better buy a ticket for a lottery than this! and obviously I was right, all those shows were either cancelled or pushed to another date, ranging from few months to an entire year later, and rescheduled even multiple times. And even though I understand their effort, I dont feel like spending money on a totally useless ticket... I would rather buy a t-shirt directly from the band or something... that makes much more sense. I think in eastern europe it can get relatively back to some reasonable state sooner than here in The Netherlands, where people are trained to death to follow set of rules and restrictions in any area of life you can think of. The most "free" thing you can do is having a walk on a marked paths in the forest.

How strict are COVID restrictions in the Netherlands regarding shows at the moment ?

Here in the Gulyás Republic one is required to have a valid vaccine card to attend any sort of musical or dance event , thought it remains to be seen whether this restriction will remain in place .

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:41 am 

I've been to 4 sit in concerts in 2020 and they were all totally different. It seemed that nobody knew exactly what was allowed and what wasn't. First show Musicon - The Hague - some 30 people present, two persons at a table max - leaflets on the table, with products and a scheme to fill in what you want - just wave the flyer and they came to the table with drinks and means to pay. Bands playing: Graceless - Melting Eyes
Second show was Gourmetal - CD presentation of Carnation in Effenaar, Eindhoven. Imagine 100 people, most of them never ever gourmetted, beers around and 100 fluffy seats in the big hall of Effenaar (can hold 2,500). Walk between seats and bar no problem
Third show was in Dynamo Eindhoven - literally no one knew what was allowed. No walking, no drinking, but between Graceless and Mouflon there was a smoke break. We asked 'are we allowed to bring in drinks of our own?'- No one knew. So, we went to a local mall and totally emptied the Albert Heijn of cold beer.
Fourth show was in P60, Amstelveen - we needed QR codes to order drinks but weren't allowed to walk at all. Graceless played but no one got drunk, as the wifi and the QR combined did not function at all.
In between the rules for hotels weren't clear as well. People are allowed to sleep but not to eat? Or pre-order and take-away?

In Zürich, Switzerland, March 2020 there would be a show Napalm Death - Demolition Hammer. The organizer had tried several things: stop the pre-sale, find a bigger venue, limit the guest list but nothing was 'enough'. So, total cancellation... but sitting in bars was still allowed and we drank ourselves stupid, especially after hearing there would be a womens rights demonstration in the streets. Hah, 1,200 women including kids on the street? Armed to the teeth riot police present, all they did was smoke telling us ('tourists') 'let these girls protest, they'll be back behind their furnaces tonight.' Now I know how much emancipation Switzerland has!

Now it's Test for Access - negative test result, recovered from Covid or fully vaccinated. The technique does work and as it's fast enough, hardly any negativity seen. Some employers want QRs for people entering office buildings, but privacy laws have to be changed to fully incorporate that. There is still the choice - vaccinated or tested; unknown how long this will stay.

In Holland, if you want to enter a shop or bar, mouth covering is obligatory; if you remain seated you need QR like mentioned before. If an owner of a shop or bar doesn't check QR properly, heavy fines are at risk or even closure. Government has done a lot of financial support but now it's getting time to pay back that help and events still can hold only 75 per cent filled.

In the meantime Dutch government is still outgoing (nearly 8 months) so no one in the government seems to see the need to clarify anything. Bah.

Reply to topic