Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Megatokyo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:12 pm 

This thread is simple, recommend bands that you think others should see live. Preferably only recommend bands that are still active/at least somewhat regularly play live.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:21 pm 

Bit of a broad question so I'm going to break down my favorites by genre.

Death Metal
Vastum. They are absolutely ferocious live. Their lead singer is a giant dude who spends most of the set in the pit or crowdsurfing.

Doom
Spirit Adrift. They play their gorgeous music flawlessly. One of the few bands who sound exactly like they do on record.

Black Metal
Abbath. I've never laughed so fucking hard as I did when I saw Abbath. His ridiculous personality comes out with every move he makes on stage and it is impossibly fun.

Power Metal
Rhapsody. Been a long time since they've been stateside, but they are just that perfect level of cheesiness and a fun time overall.

Heavy Metal
Tie between Ghost and King Diamond. They're as close as you can get to a full theatrical Vegas stage show in metal. So much fun.

Thrash
Kreator. They just have a special energy that sets them apart from other thrash bands.

Special mentions also go to Spectral Voice, Tribulation, and Visigoth.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:30 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Death Metal
Vastum. They are absolutely ferocious live. Their lead singer is a giant dude who spends most of the set in the pit or crowdsurfing.

I don't think they're a band at the moment unfortunately as 2 of their members moved away over the last few years, but they've always been only sporadically active. Hard agree either way, if you have a chance you should catch them. I was going to say Necrot but unfortunately I think they might be in the same position right now.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:17 pm 

Vastum just announced a show in Denver in June which I have tickets for.

Curious about what you're referring to, though; did Chad and Luca leave the bay area?

Sovl_Ov_Mvn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:40 pm 

Worm Shepherd is a good band to see live. Before Ritual Hymns came out they played the song called 'Chalice Ov Rebirth' and it was one hell of an experience. It was a smaller venue so he said "Pack it in, surround me." So we all surrounded the vocalist. He literally yelled at us to surround him. The song was awesome and that breakdown was neck breaking. Me and this one goth girl were full body head banging. My cousin was holding onto me for support and I almost fell into the drum kit. Besides that, Devin was such a cool guy to talk with. We had good laughs that night. Highly recommend catching a show, especially in a smaller venue.

Side note, they were touring with Signs of the swarm.

Norfrisianblackmetal wrote:
Based on the haircut of Will Ramos a ban is justified.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:48 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Vastum just announced a show in Denver in June which I have tickets for.

Curious about what you're referring to, though; did Chad and Luca leave the bay area?

Shelby left the state and Luca left the country so I assumed that would be it for them, glad to hear otherwise.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:37 pm 

Probably going to get killed for both of these but:

If you never have - go see Metallica before it's too late. The biggest metal band (and maybe the biggest band) on the planet. Regardless about what people say about Lars and Kirk, when you're in the building, none of that shit matters. Their "in-the-round" set up is better viewed from the seats rather than the floor. (and honestly, Lars did PRETTY fucking good for a guy approaching 60, after almost 2 years off from live gigs at the MET40 shows)

Deafheaven
I haven't seen them since their last album (which was predominantly non-metal) was released, but their lead singer is fascinating live, and they are super tight.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:11 am 

Iron Maiden still deliver the goods live. Their Legacy of the Beast show is one of the best concerts I've ever been to. Hopefully being off the road for a few years won't have had an effect on them.

Also, mostly non metal, but Alice Cooper. Most consistent live act I've seen - at the very, very worst you'll get an 8/10 show. He's 74, so see him whilst he's still around.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:10 pm 

These are some of the best bands that I've seen live:

Raven - More energy than bands half their age. They fucking wore me out just watching them run around on stage, and everything is impressively on point including the godly vocals. Lots of great crowd interaction as well.

Satan - Just a joy to see these living legends. Brian Ross has that sharp whit and stage banter down, too.

Overkill - Bobby Blitz gives everything he has on stage, and their sneering snotty attitude comes through so well live.

Voivod - Another band that Just looks like they're having the time of their lives on stage. Good mix of material from all eras of the band is played and Chewy is a monster of a guitarist.

Deceased - King Fowley has such a huge personality and is super down to earth. Have had a blast chatting with him after shows. He's a diehard lifer and the band Just gets better as they age as a whole.

Pentagram - I've seen them twice and both times were spot on. Bobby Liebling is a wildcard in that his health and drug usage can easily sabotage everything about them live, but he was in top form when I saw them. His spooky stage presence is hard to beat, dude doesn't even look human.

High Spirits - Just fucking FUN and feel good. Can't stop smiling when I see them live. If sing-a-longs are your thing then this is the band to see.

LifeposhunAlfa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:13 pm 

Oranssi Pazuzu are one of the best live bands I've ever seen, across many genres, across 30 years of going to gigs.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:19 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Bit of a broad question so I'm going to break down my favorites by genre.
Black Metal
Abbath. I've never laughed so fucking hard as I did when I saw Abbath. His ridiculous personality comes out with every move he makes on stage and it is impossibly fun.

Heavy Metal
Tie between Ghost and King Diamond. They're as close as you can get to a full theatrical Vegas stage show in metal. So much fun.

Thrash
Kreator. They just have a special energy that sets them apart from other thrash bands.

Agreed! Abbath is fucking great; so entertaining live. I got to see Ghost in 2015, while they were still playing small places, and it was one of the coolest shows I'd ever seen. Kreator are just always killer, and they are still the band I have seen the most often live.

I would like to add Obituary, for just sounding so incredible live. Also, Midnight are a lot of fun to watch; they put on a very energetic, old-school show.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:56 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Death Metal

Seeing them live next week in DC, so I'm looking forward.

East coasters Genocide Pact are one of the supporting acts and they themselves are ferocious live. Real explosive especially from the drummer Connor and guitarist Demir. Plus their sound is massive, one of the few bands that sound even better live than on record.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:22 pm 

Checking back in. Vastum is indeed one of the better live newer death metal bands I've seen, especially with a sold out venue.

Here's footage of the first two or so songs taken that night (not by me).

Meanwhile, here's some choice photos I did take:

Spoiler: show

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:03 pm 

doomicus wrote:
Deceased - King Fowley has such a huge personality and is super down to earth. Have had a blast chatting with him after shows. He's a diehard lifer and the band Just gets better as they age as a whole.

Deceased are fun live, but their setlists often bother me. They lean really hard into their early material, with a lot of deep cuts from their 90s output. I've seen them a few times, and you're lucky to get one song off their newest album and two other post-2000 songs. It's unfortunate given how good their later albums are.

In terms of other bands, Municipal Waste is always ridiculous fun live. Toxic Holocaust too. Even though I'm not big on tech death, Psycroptic are a great time as well. Also, I'm not sure if Proscriptor's new iteration will be playing live or not, but Absu was absolutely insane live every time I saw them. Just relentless energy and riffs.

Reply to topic