Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gant333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:45 pm 

Hi everyone - I'm new to this site, but I'm hoping you all can help me out here. I recently found what I think is a very rare cassette tape of Morbid Saint. It is the "Lock Up Your Children" cassette and it is the one colored green on the front from Edge Entertainment 1989. It has a cut out Kodak (polaroid?) photo of the band tucked inside. The cover has green and reddish brown coloring, and when I look at it under a light I see lines that make it look like someone colored it or scribbled over it, but I can't really tell unless it's in the right light. I found some info about this cassette on discogs, which says that there were only 200 total of this cassette made and that there were only a few (25-100) that had the polaroid and colored by the band. The tape looks about as close to Mint as you can get - possibly unplayed. I found it in Sheboygan, WI which is where the band formed in the 1980's.

Can anyone shed some light on this tape? Is it highly desirable? I'm honestly not a big fan of the genre and would prefer to sell it, but really have no clue where to start since I don't see any online record of this cassette ever being listed or sold. Has anyone else ever come across this tape? Any advice on what to do with it?

Thanks!!

gant333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:39 pm 

Just giving this a bump. Really hoping someone here knows something about this tape or has advice on what to do with it. Thanks!

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:56 pm 

I'll buy it from you if you don't want it ;)

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

gant333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:33 pm 

Hello -

Just a heads up that I have finally listed this cassette for sale on Ebay. It is a very rare copy of Morbid Saint Lock Up Your Children and it is one of the super rare ones hand colored by the band with a Kodak photo inserted.

Here is a link to the listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155454764557

I am an experienced Ebay Seller with over 2000 sales in the last year with 100% positive feedback. It also qualifies for International Shipping.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:28 pm 

Good luck at that price pal. Nearly $4k AU, and $2.5k US, absolutely ridiculous.

Having said that, metal is a genre known to attract collectors that have more money than sense, so you will probably find a buyer. Obscure NWOBHM nobodies Glory Hunter had a single from 1979 that nobody had ever heard sell for £1,100 about a decade ago. Even adjusting that for inflation, you're still another $700 US up on that.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

gant333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:52 pm 

Yeah I have no idea what it's worth and I was nervous about starting it out as an auction without knowing how much interest it would generate, so I thought I'd throw out a high number to start with. On Ebay buyers can send offers to sellers so if anyone is interested at a lower price please don't hesitate. I'm not easily offended!

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:43 am 

https://www.discogs.com/release/5971557 ... r-Children

“ Tape limited to 200 copies, distributed in early gigs by the band self only.

These are the exact same songs as found on Spectrum Of Death, but released separately before the band had a label.
The only difference is a slight change in pitch and tempo.

Some copies (I've heard anywhere between 25-100) were hand colored by the band and also included a polaroid of the band.”

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:22 pm 

kindly fuck off
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

gant333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:19 pm 

No thanks.

Just trying to get the word out to a group of people who might be interested in this item.

HighwayCorsair
Knows a guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:31 pm 

Coming to a niche community you're not a part of to try and flip something you stumbled into for top dollar is just plain rude.
Owner Nameless Grave Records.

gant333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:58 pm 

I am not realistically trying to get top dollar. I just don't know the actual value and how big or small the market for this is, since I can't find any history of one ever being for sale or sold. I've run into some helpful people both here and a few other places. I don't usually go out of the way to do this when I sell items, but this one is so rare that I just don't think people are probably even "looking" for it, if that makes sense. Not trying to be rude in any way - and I apologize if it comes off that way. I'll leave you alone now - thanks for your feedback - I will consider it in future postings.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:22 pm 

Placing such a high value on it (even if you are fielding offers) seems kind of... scummy. Would you even think of paying that amount? And I'm not sure how you can say it's "Like New" when you show a photo of damage to the paper insert's crease.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

gant333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:44 pm 

Marsdude - thanks for your post. The condition is tricky since it was never factory sealed like most cassettes - so you can't tell what damage is just from original handling by the band (plus general aging of paper) and what might have been caused since then. I wish Ebay had an option between "Like New" and "Very Good". Regardless - I just went and changed it to "Very Good". I think the pictures and description speak more than the Ebay fields, which is why I always try to be super honest in my descriptions and take a lot of photos of the good and the bad. I think if you compare my listings to others on Ebay you'll see that I consistently do this better than most, and that's why I still have 100% positive feedback.

Would I pay that much for a tape? No, but I'm not a music collector. I can only compare it to other things I do collect, and if there was something this rare I would assume the value would be quite high. However what I do not understand with this cassette is how big the market is - in other words how much demand there is. That's why I'm putting it out there at a high price - I can track clicks to see how big the market might be, even if it doesn't get purchased. I've been surprised in both directions before - for instance you wouldn't believe how many people out there hardcore collect TMNT figures from the 80's. I got burned on an item because I wildly underestimated the demand.

Pretty soon I'll lower the price and/or start the auction. I appreciate the input - positive and negative.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:14 pm 

gant333 wrote:
Marsdude - thanks for your post. The condition is tricky since it was never factory sealed like most cassettes - so you can't tell what damage is just from original handling by the band (plus general aging of paper) and what might have been caused since then. I wish Ebay had an option between "Like New" and "Very Good". Regardless - I just went and changed it to "Very Good". I think the pictures and description speak more than the Ebay fields, which is why I always try to be super honest in my descriptions and take a lot of photos of the good and the bad. I think if you compare my listings to others on Ebay you'll see that I consistently do this better than most, and that's why I still have 100% positive feedback.

Would I pay that much for a tape? No, but I'm not a music collector. I can only compare it to other things I do collect, and if there was something this rare I would assume the value would be quite high. However what I do not understand with this cassette is how big the market is - in other words how much demand there is. That's why I'm putting it out there at a high price - I can track clicks to see how big the market might be, even if it doesn't get purchased. I've been surprised in both directions before - for instance you wouldn't believe how many people out there hardcore collect TMNT figures from the 80's. I got burned on an item because I wildly underestimated the demand.

Pretty soon I'll lower the price and/or start the auction. I appreciate the input - positive and negative.

Just because you sold an item for less than its worth doesnt mean you got burned, if the item has little to no value to you then just be happy with what you got for it. Secondly, while I do enjoy this particular album, good luck selling something for 2.5k where you can easily download it for free and use it in more realistic formats such as mp3 or even cd. Morbid Saint isnt exactly the most famous or recognized band in the world, and the metal community is fairly niche to begin with, so i'd imagine its highly unlikely your going to sell this tape for a large sum of money to some rich dude looking for Morbid Saint authentic demos.

If you do find that guy hats off to you. Most i've ever paid for a particular album was $85 and even I feel like i probably was a moron considering I already had the entire thing in mp3 format.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:41 pm 

I see one sold on discogs nearly a year ago for about $500 US. No idea what it's condition was tho. Looks like the first and only time it's sold on there. I'd be too scared to play it at that fuckin price, which makes it useless to me. Crazy money for a shitty tape, but I suppose that's about what it's worth for what's really just a curiosity. I estimated $400 US for it before checking out discogs. Interestingly it says that 6 discogs users own it and 231 want it, so it'll sell. I dig the album but I don't rate it as high as some fans out there.

frostjunkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:54 am 

gant333 wrote:
I am not realistically trying to get top dollar. I just don't know the actual value and how big or small the market for this is, since I can't find any history of one ever being for sale or sold.

You keep saying this but it’s right there on the Discogs page, $680 CAD. Even taking into account you have the rarer variant you really think yours is worth over 4 times that price? Who has ever spent $2500 USD on a metal demo tape? No idea how you came up with this. “I’m not trying to get top dollar” LMAO.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:34 am 

Once purchased, that tape can summon ancient Babylonian demons once the instructions on printed green sleeve are completed...

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:15 pm 

HighwayCorsair wrote:
Coming to a niche community you're not a part of to try and flip something you stumbled into for top dollar is just plain rude.

Definitely at least in somewhat poor taste.

But if some sucker wants to shell out C$1,000 (that seems to be the listed price now) + $30 international shipping (lol?) for a crappy tape, well... whatever. That said, moving this to the appropriate board now.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

gant333
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:01 pm 

I guess the way I look at it is that if someone stumbled onto a really rare baseball card at a garage sale (an extremely rare card), as a collector I'd want to know about it and have a chance to purchase it. Or if I couldn't afford it, at least get a chance to see photos of it and appreciate that it exists. This site I thought was a good place to get it in front of the correct audience, since it is so obscure that I'm guessing nobody is really actively "looking" for it on Ebay - at least not the right people. The price is just a jumping off point as I've made clear several times. Offers are a major part of Ebay. If I got that upset every time somebody priced a baseball card too high I'd be in my grave from stress. If you like the tape and have a legitimate interest in it, make an offer. The worst I can do is say no. If you don't, I guess maybe move along to something more positive and have a nice day.

Also the international shipping fee is all Ebay - I have zero control over that. The only shipping fee that I'm collecting is enough to ship it USPS First Class to Ebay's international shipping hub in a brand new box with good packaging materials. It's a nice program, but I have heard it can be a bit pricey depending on where you are located. It also accounts for customs fees I believe, which vary from country to country.

I'm planning to either accept the highest offer that I get by early next week, or shift it to an auction and just let the chips falls where they may.

This will be my last post here on this topic - thanks to those of you who were helpful along the way.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:23 pm 

How much did this go for?

Helvede
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:32 am 

300-400 ish

TheForceRules
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:09 pm 

The re-issue replica https://www.discogs.com/release/8239062 ... r-Children