Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:41 am 

Looks like the GOP keeps the senate but likely loses the House. Small victory, I suppose. Also good on Amendment 4 passing in Florida.

But I'm in a bad mood so I'm gonna rage at the following even if I expected it because pessimism/realism:

- Georgia governor: Kemp should not have been allowed to run, period. That the fucking guy running for the fucking office is in charge of the electoral process is an absolute fucking joke.
- Florida and Texas governor: Gillum and Beto losing by a narrow margin is a bummer, though I'm surprised it was that close.
- Alabama passing amendments 1 and 2, which are Ten Commandment fuckery and worse, basically outlawing abortion (if Roe v Wade is overturned, abortion will be essentially illegal in Alabama, and with Kavanaugh on SCOTUS this could very well happen). These were voted for overwhelmingly in favour. The Satanic Temple has their work cut out for them...

Still not called yet but Steve King absolutely needs to lose. That guy is a bona fide white supremacist. Not the dog whistling kind, the overt kind.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:38 am 

Hopefully tonight repudiates once-and-for-all the belief that the Republican party is not completely and totally the party of Trump.

Scott Walker lost! Amazing.

But Steve King won. Accelerationists rejoice!

So much for the Blue Wave.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:23 am 

If the only thing that happened yesterday was Adam Schiff getting chairmanship of the House intelligence committee, it would have been a good day. A 25-seat swing was on the lower end of my predictions, but I'll take it.

The Senate was never in the cards. There were only 9 GOP senate seats on the ballot, there were 10 Dem senate seats in Trump country, and for 28 of 33 Senate elections in one cycle to go towards one party is pretty unheard of. The way Kavanaugh was handled alone would have been enough to seal the deal; you can't have 9 senators in GOP territory vote against a GOP SCOTUS nominee on the basis of accusations that even GOP women don't believe in and not expect to lose a seat or two.

Anyway, I am looking forward to some actual oversight in the House now. Kushner and Don Jr. getting some actual probing; Deutsche Bank subpoenas; Alfa Bank subpoenas (New Yorker has a tantalizing story about that little incident in 2016); hopefully we'll get the book thrown at the Trump Organization's financials too.

Steve King needs to be censured. If his constituents want to elect a bigot, fine, but the House needs to censure him, and he should be stripped of whatever committee assignments the GOP gives him next Congress.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:10 am 

Heh, in related news...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 3ad87ab707

Quote:
"When 82-year-old Gracie Lou Phillips returned from early voting last week in North Texas, she “danced a little jig” around her walker, then sat down and raised her fists into the air, her family said. “I voted!” she declared. Despite being gravely ill, Phillips cast her first ballot during early voting Thursday in Grand Prairie. On Monday, she died."

Oh, what a lovely story about a senior voting for the first time...

Quote:
"She wanted to drain the swamp. She voted straight ticket republican."

:oh shit:

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:38 am 

All in all, 218 went to Democrats last night, many flips, many continuations.
House is back in American hands instead of the Russians/White Supremacists, because let's be frank, it was Americans vs Russians drones and white supremacist shitbags last night.

Maybe not the "blue wave," but a positive momentum. No doubt Trump will only get worse from here on out since he didn't get his way.

My state, Minnesota, went overwhelmingly Democrat, frequently (including on Governor), voting 2-to-1, so shit was not even close.

Also, this is pretty nice, Democrats will control all investigative committees into Trump's illegal activities. This video is from before last night.
Youtube: show

Also wretched bigoted stupid cunt Kim Davis lost. So that's great news.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:31 pm 

I love what happened here in Minnesota. I was so worried about Ellison losing AG, but he didn't.

Last.fm

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:53 pm 

Well, that was kind of a pathetic showing for the Democrats. After all the fire and fury of the past two years, and a record turnout for a midterm, they couldn't manage to do more that exactly as expected. No blue wave in sight. All races are not called yet, but it's looking like 34 pickups in the House for the Ds, and 3 pickups in the Senate for the Rs. Out of 470 congressional races, 465 are going exactly as the polls suggested. *yawn*

On the bright side, the Ds picked up 7 new governors, and the Rs didn't pick up any.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:58 pm 

In more news, Trump said it was a "racist question" when a CNN asked him if the Republican party supported white supremacists.

Last.fm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:04 pm 

More good news: Sessions has resigned.

The most ridiculous claim ever made, this should be a classic signature, but I'm too lazy...

Last.fm

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:42 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Sounds more like he was canned.

This is one of those things Trump was warned about, as Republicans told him it would make him look very bad very fast.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:11 pm 

Semantics. He was asked to resign. He's probably had his resignation letter ready for months.

Funny meme making the rounds - Jeff Sessions is the only Confederate monument Trump is willing to take down.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:16 pm 

Dead brothel owner Dennis Hof wins seat in Nevada State Assembly:
https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/denni ... 4388917409

There are two possible explanations for this, and honestly I don’t know which is sadder:
1) People knowingly voted for a dead guy because they are just that rigidly devoted to party loyalty.
2) People unknowingly voted for a dead guy because they completely did not pay attention.

EDIT: about Sheriff Buford aka Jeff Sessions. The Trumpa-Loompas will be all over this, praising him for “draining the swamp”; all while willfully ignoring that this particular swamp creature was invited in by Teflon Donald himself.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:20 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
accusations that even GOP women don't believe in

I'm really unsure that this is a good measure of the validity of rape claims.

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
I love what happened here in Minnesota. I was so worried about Ellison losing AG, but he didn't.

It's not all good news. GOP mouthpiece Jim Hagedorn won over Dan Feehan.

Last edited by Trashy_Rambo on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:29 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

Not good news. His replacement will be even worse.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:31 pm 

Steve King being re-elected is so gross. He went from dog-whistler to full-blown neo-nazi.

An open white supremacist in Congress. Ugh.

Wilytank wrote:

This is not good news at all.

The replacement is Matthew Whitaker, a Trump bootlicker who hates Mueller. He has the power to effectively fire Mueller and potentially dismantle the entire probe.

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I'm really unsure that this is a good measure of the validity of rape claims.

It's not, but Earthcube is just saying that it's basically what mattered to the GOP senators voting on Kavanaugh. If they thought they'd lose votes from their female constituents they might have voted against confirming Kavanaugh, but since that wasn't the case, nothing like that happened.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:37 pm 

Thank you for the clarification.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:26 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
Dead brothel owner Dennis Hof wins seat in Nevada State Assembly:
https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/denni ... 4388917409

There are two possible explanations for this, and honestly I don’t know which is sadder:
1) People knowingly voted for a dead guy because they are just that rigidly devoted to party loyalty.
2) People unknowingly voted for a dead guy because they completely did not pay attention.

It's #1. In fact, I'd bet the farm he won by a higher percentage than he would have if he were alive.

Still, this is a hugely lolworthy story.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 pm 

Idaho elected a moderate republican governor and re-elected a moderate GOP congressman.

Moderate, being the key word here. Not extremist. For Idaho, that's actually good news. The woman running for governor on the other party was notoriously shady, and wouldn't have really been much better regardless of which party she belonged to.

Except the OTHER congressman elected who was from Idaho IS an extremist. Not good, and the problem there was, there just wasn't enough "name recognition" on his opponent, because the democrats couldn't get their shit together enough to drum up any viable opposition (you'd think just saying "I'm running against Russ Fulcher!" would be good enough, and that would have worked for me, but not for the average Sandpoint/Hayden Lake folks up there.)

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:28 pm 

Morrigan and nestee's interpretation of the Sessions firing is correct. Trump asked him point blank to fire Mueller and/or Rosenstein multiple times last year. Sessions refused.

I never thought I'd say this but we'll probably be missing Jeff Sessions soon.

That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:10 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Morrigan and nestee's interpretation of the Sessions firing is correct. Trump asked him point blank to fire Mueller and/or Rosenstein multiple times last year. Sessions refused.

Yeah, this was exactly the concern I had in conjunction with the usual "ha ha fuck that guy" when the Trump administration loses yet another person. Trump is obviously guilty of a whole slew of things, and with Democrats running the House soon, he's going to be desperate to hide anything incriminating.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:31 pm 

So, because Trump is the world's biggest petulant coward, he banned CNN's Jim Acosta from the White House because he can't handle tough questions.

WHAT FOLLOWS NEXT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND!

No seriously, this is some fascist propaganda bullshit right here: Sarah Sanders and Trump are sharing a clearly doctored video from INFO FUCKING WARS to justify banning Acosta.

If you have to lie to make your point, your point was shit to begin with and you were wrong the whole fucking time.

Seriously, lurking Trump supporters, by all means, attempt to justify this.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:40 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
If you have to lie to make your point, your point was shit to begin with and you were wrong the whole fucking time.

Not if you believe in might makes right, unfortunately, and it's not exactly news that Trump is more "it's right because I said so" than "I said so because it's right".

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:57 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:

No shit....especially if this turns out to be true.

Like your reviews?

DrummingEdge133
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:13 pm 

He could potentially be incriminating himself even further in regards to Obstruction of Justice by firing Sessions and sticking in an obvious lackey. It also may be unconstitutional, as Kellyanne Conway's own husband expressed today.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:08 am 

There will be no impeachment attempt based on anything so flimsy. No technicalities, no maybes. And they can't impeach him for being an asshole.

No, there will have to be an actual criminal act, undeniable and glaring. So clear and obvious that even the average person could look at it and say wow, yeah, that ain't kosher. It would need to be a Nixon-ian process.

But I think, in the end, Trump is dumb enough to do something like that. And since he loves blaming others for his numerous failings, we could ultimately see a situation like the one that got Nixon, when he tried to throw John Dean under a bus.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:43 am 

Some crazy shit happening in Arizona, Georgia and Florida right now over the marquee elections. Along with Beto, the election of Abrams, Gillum, Nelson and Sinema were the ones I was most excited about, making Tuesday a major downer for me despite not really being all that bad. Looks like Sinema may actually pull through, while the other three are much more grim. Still, if anyone wants to feast on some Trumper tears, the_donald is having a full-blown meltdown over Sinema and it's glorious.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:57 pm 

Please don't link to hate groups, thx.

Speaking of hateful shit, is this a new low?
https://abcnews.go.com/US/trump-threate ... d=59102371
Or, I guess there are no new lows anymore, just the same rock bottom with full of different minerals, like a friend told me today. But seriously, how does he manage to so consistently find new ways to be so grotesquely evil?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:00 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Reddit? :scratch: It seems a little excessive to say you shouldn't link to Reddit, especially since DD's point there is to mock that particular subreddit's reaction. It's no different than linking to and pointing out a Trump tweet in order to make fun of it.

This is also awful news regarding Trump from today: https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... because-of

Can't even bother to show up to a WW1 commemoration.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:02 pm 

:ah-ha: :lol: @ Morrigan

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:03 pm 

Derigin wrote:

This is also awful news regarding Trump from today: https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... because-of

Can't even bother to show up to a WW1 commemoration.

nobody supports the troops more than donald tho :wanker: :wanker:

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:51 pm 

Trump about Mccain back in 2015: “He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured? I like people who weren’t captured.”

So by that logic, soldiers that died are big losers and not worth getting his umbrella wet for. The leader of the most powerful country in the world, ladies and gentlemen...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:48 pm 

Goddamn, I just saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avkkdrjDsTA

This person was elected as the President of the United States of America. I mean, it's kind of a minor, inconsequential thing, but it just screams absolute volumes about who he is as a person. He has never in his life had to learn how to close an umbrella, because he has ALWAYS had people to do that for him. No one to take your umbrella from you and do...whatever it is one does with an umbrella (presumably toss it in an incinerator and order a new one?), so just toss it on the floor. Somebody will take care of it.

Actual blue collar regular people think this man represents them and their interests.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:09 am 

Hopefully he treats the Republican Party much the same way, like an expensive used napkin.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:21 pm 

He does. All the time. The GOP just can't/won't do anything about it because the moment a Member speaks up they get mau-maued by the entire constellation of Right-think media which exists purely to provide boob bait for bubba, and if said media does this often enough and loud enough eventually the Member faces a primary challenge from someone more eager to lie to voters' faces (or worse, a true believer who actually believes the lies they tell GOP voters). Which is why nearly the entire party---the natsec hawks who understand there are actual enemies in the world, the deficit hawks who worry about long-term solvency, the religious nuts who sincerely worry about morals and such---end up kissing the ring. It isn't that they never believed in the principles their leader now spits in the face in; they just don't want to lose their jobs standing up for them. In the meantime they can get some tax cuts to ply over their donors until (they hope) Trumpism blows over and they can get back to work doing the hard stuff.

Their chief assumption is that Trumpism actually will blow over: that it's a personality cult doomed to evaporate once the centerpiece is out of the picture, rather than an indication of what's to come or even an inchoate impulse within the GOP base that just needed the right trigger to blossom. Those are possibilities they refuse to reckon with, and the ones who did so have all retired (or died, like McCain). In the meantime, the damage to international affairs will be---is, in fact, already---irreversible; the rule of law is under threat; and a host of norms are forever ruined.

But not all is lost. Harken, MAers, for 2020 is just around the corner, when Hillary Clinton will swoop down to rescue us

*rubs eyes*

https://www.wsj.com/articles/hillary-wi ... 1541963599

Spoiler: show

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:20 am 

Oh great, the 71-year-old has "reinvented" herself.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:52 am 

It's obvious this isn't going anywhere, I don't know why the internet is losing their shit. Unfortunately, I think it's probably going to be Biden or Harris at this point, both of whom (especially Biden) won't do any better than Hillary, possibly quite a bit worse. Bernie or Sherrod Brown are the dreams and I think they'd have a good shot at beating Trump, but they're just too far left for the Democratic establishment.

Guys it's clear only The Rock can save us now. It's amazing that electing a pro-wrestler to the presidency would actually make America resemble Idiocracy less.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:32 am 

darkeningday wrote:
It's obvious this isn't going anywhere, I don't know why the internet is losing their shit. Unfortunately, I think it's probably going to be Biden or Harris at this point, both of whom (especially Biden) won't do any better than Hillary, possibly quite a bit worse. Bernie or Sherrod Brown are the dreams and I think they'd have a good shot at beating Trump, but they're just too far left for the Democratic establishment.

Guys it's clear only The Rock can save us now. It's amazing that electing a pro-wrestler to the presidency would actually make America resemble Idiocracy less.

I don't think we should dismiss anyone for being "too far left." Moderate Democrats didn't really win in the midterms. This article explains it pretty well: That stark, unapologetic progressives came out on top in this election. The country is far more left than it seems, and those willing to dive into that have done well.

Frankly, I think the further left or more progressive they are--the more direct and honest they are about that--the better they look to the voting public. A long-lasting cliche that "both parties are the same" is only bolstered by the moderates or those willing to be all too friendly to Republicans. I would hazard an observation/educated guess that Americans want a tougher, more emboldened Democratic party that gives them the confidence that they'll actually hit back hard against how the Republicans are dragging us backwards.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 pm 

CNN is suing the White House for barring their reporter from press conferences. This should be interesting.

Last.fm

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:01 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
CNN is suing the White House for barring their reporter from press conferences. This should be interesting.

Violation of the 1st Amendment and Freedom of the Press, on top of which, the video they used to justify their action was fucking altered by Info Fucking Wars. The Trump administration has no fucking case, and they justified their actions with lies.

How anyone can still support this administration is beyond me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:59 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Reddit? :scratch:

No, /r/t_d, of course.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106  Next