Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:02 pm 

While I do have a driver’s license, I still prefer walking or the bicycle. The only methods of transport that cannot be subject to exorbitant fees, taxation, or invasive monitoring by hidden tracking technologies.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:03 pm 

Just turned 29 and I failed twice this summer. Gonna try again once winters over, probably take some lessons.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:30 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Well, today I finally obtained my driver license, on my second attempt, at 35 years old. It was about time, and I am quite proud and relieved.

I've started taking driving lessons some months ago and while I enjoy the process I can't help but think I'm learning everything about it in a rather slow pace. There's just so much to be aware of at the same time while driving, you know?

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:21 pm 

It can be overwhelming at first yes. However I did not have to take any driving lessons, since I once had my apprentice license in 1998, and even if lessons are now mandatory, I still belong to the old regime so I was exempted.

When to the grocery store earlier this morning, it was my first time driving on my own and it was actually a lot less stressful than when I am with someone. You feel less evaluated or something. I had apprehensions, but it turned out quite fun.
Fire walk with me"

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:18 pm 

Trojan - Chasing the Storm

Excellent fucking release.

9.8/10

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:28 pm 

It's really sad when you give someone a compliment and that person turns on you and becomes an asshole.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:25 pm 

I haven't driven a car in over four years, and I'm kind of nervous that I've largely forgotten how to do it. Sometimes I do miss the freedom of driving around, but honestly living in a situation where I could walk to work (or the supermarket or wherever) in just a few minutes far surpasses having a driving commute, and I'm honestly not very excited to live in a circumstance where driving is a near-daily necessity ever again.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:28 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I haven't driven a car in over four years, and I'm kind of nervous that I've largely forgotten how to do it. Sometimes I do miss the freedom of driving around, but honestly living in a situation where I could walk to work (or the supermarket or wherever) in just a few minutes far surpasses having a driving commute, and I'm honestly not very excited to live in a circumstance where driving is a near-daily necessity ever again.

I don't think you'll ever forget how to drive a car so badly that you won't be able to jump in one and start driving, especially if it's an auto. You might be rusty but the fundamentals are still there. You'll be right. But if you're in a situation where you don't need one, there's probably no need to get a car.

I'm not in that situation, sadly. I'm too far from a train station to get to work (which is located next to the nearest train station anyway), and I need a car to get to university and stuff because the public transport here isn't reliable enough. Without a car I would be very much stranded.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:28 am 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Well, today I finally obtained my driver license, on my second attempt, at 35 years old. It was about time, and I am quite proud and relieved.
Congratulations! It is never too late to accomplish something.

It took me well into my 20's before I could receive any form of license. I barely qualify for the visual acuity to earn a restricted license for daylight driving only. I will, sadly, never get the chance to have full driving privileges.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:20 pm 

Dude I just realized Robert Trujillo has been in Metallica longer than Jason Newsted was.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:11 am 

INTESTINE BAALISM IS ALIVE AND WELL
fucking hell i am emotional
they need to come to California Deathfest

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:34 pm 

Does anybody have any references on this distro? Is it legit?

http://elegyrecords.com/aweb/shop/

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:25 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:

INTESTINE BAALISM IS ALIVE AND WELL
fucking hell i am emotional
they need to come to California Deathfest

This is some good fucking footage. AFAIK it's the only professionally shot live footage of this band.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:11 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Does anybody have any references on this distro? Is it legit?

http://elegyrecords.com/aweb/shop/

I've ordered from them a handful of times and never had an issue.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:19 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
Can anyone recommend any video series, such as on YouTube, that explore narrative theory, film theory, narrative structure, and all those breakdowns in between? I recently watched pretty much everything Lindsay Ellis did, and love to see these breakdowns pertaining to story, storytelling, structure, flow, meaning, and theme.

If you want that stuff presented in a tongue-in-cheek manner, check out Terrible Writing Advice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUsGPf-Ckm0

Hmmm might be worth a look. I'm more interested in a kind of academic breakdown of writing and story structure to further improve my efforts. I found one called Just Write, which strikes this cord pretty well. Thanks though! Might still be entertaining at the very least.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:27 pm 

There's a channel that I follow, Lessons from the Screenplay, that specializes in screenplays. He usually analyzes specific movies and how they tell their respective stories.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:15 pm 

oogboog wrote:
There's a channel that I follow, Lessons from the Screenplay, that specializes in screenplays. He usually analyzes specific movies and how they tell their respective stories.

Ohh, this looks really good. I'll have to put this on. Thanks!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:12 pm 

Huh. Metal Sucks is trying to stir something up about Nergal from Behemoth being a nazi/facist because he knows and talks to a dude from Graveland and they played with Bolzer and there is a photo of him wearing their band shirt. I think a lot of this was covered pretty well in that thread about Uada.... Derigrin, and others, made some great points there so I dunno if it's worth a thread re-hashing the same stuff.

An interesting move though in this case, aside from being a much bigger band, about an hour ago Nergal released his own statement, coupled with a screenshot of their email to his management rather than replying to Metal Sucks when they reached out to give him a "chance to comment".

This will probably blow up a bit though....

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:26 pm 

^Got a link? I couldn't find anything on a cursory search.

On more relevant news, there's a drone (or several) keeping Gatwick airport in the UK shut down. It's funny to read, but it must suck for the over 100k people stuck there for a while.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-46640033

Quote:
Gatwick's chief operating officer Chris Woodroofe said 120,000 passengers had been due to fly out since the airport closed its runway on Wednesday.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:22 am 

Ah, I should have mentioned the statement was released on Behemoth's facebook.

A canny move considering the amount of followers they have on social media. Whether Nergal's statment is a good one, ehh. But if Metal Sucks releases their "story" there will already be hundreds or more people ready and waiting to push back.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:49 pm 

Got some of my Christmas gifts :)

Among them some cool things:

- first US CD pressing of Damien's "Every Dog Has Its Day" (great album if you like your USPM and Judas Priest especially)
- Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 4th edition Rulebook - skimmed it and it looks and reads great.
- a copy of Super Robot Wars V with the English subtitles option - love the series and love playing it in English on modern console :)

In short: happy days!

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:37 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Huh. Metal Sucks is trying to stir something up about Nergal from Behemoth being a nazi/facist because he knows and talks to a dude from Graveland and they played with Bolzer and there is a photo of him wearing their band shirt. I think a lot of this was covered pretty well in that thread about Uada.... Derigrin, and others, made some great points there so I dunno if it's worth a thread re-hashing the same stuff.

An interesting move though in this case, aside from being a much bigger band, about an hour ago Nergal released his own statement, coupled with a screenshot of their email to his management rather than replying to Metal Sucks when they reached out to give him a "chance to comment".

This will probably blow up a bit though....

Nergal has always been an idiot and Behemoth is a prime example of a band that follows trends. Guaranteed if being a white power band was acceptable Behemoth would be singing about kicking the Jews out of Poland and what-not. That said, Metal Sucks trying to stir something up is nothing new, and despite the site being crappy sometimes they hit the mark with it (Inquisition, for example).

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:56 am 

Heavy christmas everyone!

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:34 am 

It's 12:30am on the 25th here. Merry Christmas to everyone. Keep it brutal. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:52 pm 

Merry X-mas. Play Venom. Christmas eve in the countryside is relaxing, but now I'm back in the semi-urban territory.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:37 pm 

I'm eating gumbo for Christmas and it will be delicious.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:12 am 

Had my usual family shenanigans on Christmas Eve and spent Christmas Day cleaning the house and messing around with my new Nintendo Switch. Hope everybody had a pleasant holiday!

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:25 pm 

I got a little bottle of Grand Marnier for Christmas. Up until yesterday when my mom corrected me, I had always thought it was "Grand Mariner" hahaha. (Most certainly influenced by one of my favorite Iron Maiden songs...) I'm not sure I've ever had it. Can anyone recommend some good beverage recipes that use Grand Marnier?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:13 pm 

Two parts Crown Royal, one part Grand Marnier, dash of angostura bitters, shaken with ice and strained. Works well with any non-woody whiskey. I've also enjoyed a Manhattan with a splash of Grand Marnier.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:57 pm 

Right on; thanks! Sounds great.

5ealchris
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:17 pm 

lulz

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:02 am 

Just clicked over to 2019 in eastern Australia. Happy new year everyone. I hope you all celebrate well. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 am 

Every year you damnable lot from the bottom-side of the world flush your reverse-toilets in unison as you lord over us from your swarthy time zone! Bah I say!

Happy new years dude! I can't wait to get off work tonight. The lady and I have reservations at a dope ass restaurant from 10pm - 1 am. I haven't done anything on new years eve for a really, really long time.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:33 pm 

First time I'm not having any plans either. The fireworks are pretty loud outside, but so are the bands I'm listening to so...

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:40 pm 

Just a quick and friendly reminder that yes, Death did release the amazing Scream bloody gore all the way back in 1987, but so did Amon with their incredible demo "Feasting the beast", which to this day strikes me as one of the most wicked and vicious recordings in all of death metal. Glen never sounded that daemonic again, ever, and the raw quality impresses me so much more than the polished production job on Deicide's comparatively tame debut.
Also, Obituary - the 8-track-songs on their debut was the type of recording that suited them best in terms of ambience, in my opinion. Or, in John Tardy's words: "YEEEUUUUURRRRRGH!"

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:44 pm 

I just spent a good 10 minutes to find the meaning of the name Marnier. It has to do with marlstone.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:43 pm 

Pet peeve: I absolutely loathe when harsh vocals are called “unclean” (as in the opposite of “clean vocals”). This seems to be a common trope among metalcore bands. Makes my skin crawl.
Obliteration

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:29 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Every year you damnable lot from the bottom-side of the world flush your reverse-toilets in unison as you lord over us from your swarthy time zone! Bah I say!

Happy new years dude! I can't wait to get off work tonight. The lady and I have reservations at a dope ass restaurant from 10pm - 1 am. I haven't done anything on new years eve for a really, really long time.

Haha yep, that's us. :P

I hope you enjoy the restaurant! Good way to spend the new year. I didn't do anything except watch the Sydney fireworks on TV which was exactly what they've done the last 25 years. People spend all day there camping to watch 12 minutes of fireworks. Nowhere near worth it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:47 am 

I had a nice, albeit somewhat confusing, New Year's. I think 2019 is definitely gonna be a strange one.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:37 am 

I'm glad we managed to steer clear of those silly and dumb new year's resolution threads this year.

You may want to applaud now.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 332  Next