* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:40 pm 

I have no dog in this fight whatsoever but:
droneriot wrote:
Showing war is not a dystopian nightmare.

No, maybe not. But if they're showing war, it also sure as shit ain't a utopia either.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:57 am 

The Federation has always been depicted as an essentially communist utopia. War typically happens between other factions, and threatens to endanger the Federation.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:58 pm 

My son and I finally completely finished the X-Files. This remains one of my all-time favorite TV series, and while the revival had some good moments, the Chris Carter (the show's fucking creator) episodes in the end were almost universally unwatchable garbage. Mulder and Scully were wildly uncharacteristic in their behavior, Mulder straight up shot a bunch of dudes like some absurd action movie in some of these. Dialog was almost completely meaningless, and the final episode is one of the worst endings to a TV series ever. I'm glad Robert Patrick didn't return, because I'd have hated to see his character get treated as shitty as Monica Reyes. Yeah, I liked Doggett, he was a good character and Robert Patrick is a cool actor. Eat shit, babies. But geez was that final episode some serious garbage.

On the other hand, my son and I recently started watching King of the Hill as well, and I always liked King of the Hill, but it's even better than I remembered. Dale remains perpetually one of the best characters of any TV series, animated sitcom or otherwise. The writing is solid and fun, the stories are enjoyable, and dialog is fantastic. We're only three seasons in, but it's great to relive this one. We haven't gotten to the Pocket Sand yet, so plenty of good times yet to come.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:28 am 

The X-Files started with a pretty good dynamic between Muldur and Scully the was, upon reflection, doomed. There was no way to keep up that "But Dana why don't you believe??" thing for more that 3 seasons or so. It got unreasonably strained.

I've been watching Supernatural on Netflix recently. I'm one of those people who had never seen one episode, all this time. It has a very X-File like vibe to it, at least through the first two seasons, which is all I've seen so far. Main difference is that it's, well, supernatural. Not sci-fi based. Fun show, so maybe your son & you would like that one too.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:38 pm 

@Resident Hazard, I know what you mean about King of the Hill being even better than you remember! When I was younger and first watched the show, I suppose that teenage taste for immediate gratification led me to mostly like the madcap redneck humour. But now, watching it again, I see there’s so much more to the show than just that. The characters have such realistic subtleties, and now I really appreciate the good-but-not-preachy feeling that always seems to shine through.

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:47 pm 

The X-Files was great for its first season good for its second and third but then it was a slog to get through and every season was worse then the last. Still at least that first season was indeed great. Most shows don't have one great season and a lot have only one good season and loads of bad seasons or not even one good season. Such as Castle for instance or one of those god awful home improvement shows on that home improvement channel.

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:29 pm 

On the other side of the coin I really like game shows. For example Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. Who wants to Be A Millionaire was a great show for years now not so much but it was a great/good show. Jeopardy is a tough show but that is part of its charm for me. Wheel of Fortune is just fun to watch. Very fun. Which can be tough as well when I'm trying to solve the puzzles that the contestants have to solve but don't have many letters up on the board.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:22 am 

GTog wrote:
The X-Files started with a pretty good dynamic between Muldur and Scully the was, upon reflection, doomed. There was no way to keep up that "But Dana why don't you believe??" thing for more that 3 seasons or so. It got unreasonably strained.

I have to disagree, but I've been a fan of the series since I was a teenager when it first aired. I think the first season is good, but it's not one of my favorites. I almost never see the first season of a show as anything more than growing pains. They haven't figured out character nuance, quirks, and personality completely. There's some good stories, but I vastly prefer seasons 2-6, which I think are pretty consistently strong. Great storytelling, per episode, with general exception that Chris Carter's mythology arc episodes have a habit of grinding momentum to a dead stop half the time. While I see your point about that dynamic being a bit strained, I think overall it worked.

severzhavnost wrote:
@Resident Hazard, I know what you mean about King of the Hill being even better than you remember! When I was younger and first watched the show, I suppose that teenage taste for immediate gratification led me to mostly like the madcap redneck humour. But now, watching it again, I see there’s so much more to the show than just that. The characters have such realistic subtleties, and now I really appreciate the good-but-not-preachy feeling that always seems to shine through.

One of the things I like about KotH is that it doesn't grossly butcher storylines that, I think these days, would be done with literally no subtlety--just preachiness from one side of the coin or the other. The show managed to take older conservative values and modern progressive values and mix them with humor, humility, and actual character growth. Something the first couple seasons of American Dad was not very good at (but then at least that show turned around and is easily the best thing Seth McFarlane spawned). I can watch stories where they're going to church or Luanne is putting on her Christian puppet show, but the story itself is still enjoyable, the characters respond in a genuine manner, and I'm not annoyed by the religious context.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:42 am 

The new Netflix doc on Ted Bundy is phenomenal. The whole thing centers around some interviews he did in 1980 where he basically took a reporters tape recorder and diagnosed himself in the third person. But the whole documentary (4 part series) is cut together beautifully.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:54 am 

I love a lot of things Mike Judge has done, but I've never liked King of the Hill.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:46 pm 

X-files went downhill during the last couple seasons because there were way too many ridiculously bad episodes. Just cheezy monster-of the week type things- okay some of those were okay but a lot of it was, what the heck? It was the writing, more than anything else. I kind of liked when they brought in John Doggett as Scully's new partner, because it was refreshing to have a skeptic who was faced with unexplainable phenomenon, as opposed to a guy who was always quick to jump at the most outlandish paranormal explanation for things. That wasn't the issue- It was just too many bad scripts.

I liked King of the Hill because of the subtle humor. It wasn't the usual over the top gross-out humor of, say "Family guy" or the pure family comedy of the Simpsons, it was more, I guess, traditional "Sitcom" like, but it was good. Interesting and deep characters, good storylines, and entertaining, and any morals that were implied in the stories were more along the lines of common sense, than as opposed to a left/Social Justice warrior (God I hate that term) view, or a right/conservative viewpoint.

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:56 pm 

I've been viewing those old westerns like Bonanza and Gunsmoke lately. There not bad shows. Most of the episodes are good.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:27 am 

Star Trek: Discovery tried too hard to be Star Trek in this last episode. I almost wonder if the action-adventure space show from the first season was a better fit.

Still really enjoyed it.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:33 am 

Yeah I thought it was much better. First time I've really felt like I was watching Star Trek. I'm also wondering if the whole chasing-the-red-thingies plot means that each episode this season will be somewhat self-contained like this one was, which...means more alignment with classic Trek, but they still get to put the pieces together in the end and have a cool overarcing narrative. I'm cautiously optimistic!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:44 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
X-files went downhill during the last couple seasons because there were way too many ridiculously bad episodes. Just cheezy monster-of the week type things- okay some of those were okay but a lot of it was, what the heck? It was the writing, more than anything else. I kind of liked when they brought in John Doggett as Scully's new partner, because it was refreshing to have a skeptic who was faced with unexplainable phenomenon, as opposed to a guy who was always quick to jump at the most outlandish paranormal explanation for things. That wasn't the issue- It was just too many bad scripts.

I liked King of the Hill because of the subtle humor. It wasn't the usual over the top gross-out humor of, say "Family guy" or the pure family comedy of the Simpsons, it was more, I guess, traditional "Sitcom" like, but it was good. Interesting and deep characters, good storylines, and entertaining, and any morals that were implied in the stories were more along the lines of common sense, than as opposed to a left/Social Justice warrior (God I hate that term) view, or a right/conservative viewpoint.

Seasons 7-9 are the weakest for the X-Files, but I have to say that I really liked John Doggett as a character, and hell I'll just say this, I also really like Robert Patrick, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt anyway. I think a mix of franchise fatigue and fans being overly against Doggett hurt what could've been a great and reasonable continuation of the franchise. They did at least deliver some truly outstanding episodes for Doggett, notably the one where he ended up trapped in Mexico with amnesia.

Having finished rewatching the entire series, I think one of the problems with the last few seasons was an over-abundance of personal episodes where the characters themselves basically were the X-File, and not enough investigating crazy shit. I tended to like the monster-of-the-week episodes, or human with fucked up power stories. I have an idea that the X-Files is a more realistic version of the X-Men than any X-Men story. You get people with these random powers, either through chance, natural phenomena, genetics, or something else, but instead of becoming superheroes or super-villains, they end up squandering their talents on petty bullshit or getting into trouble.

But I've noticed a flaw in shows like this that become very much driven by a mix of their primary cast and primary story arc--once that cast starts leaving and the primary story arc gets concluded, the show effectively runs out of steam and sputters to a halt. It happened with Stargate SG-1 as well. Once the cast went through drastic changes in seasons 8-10, and the primary arc (the Go'auld line) was essentially completed and replaced by a new arc (the Ori), the show sped to cancellation. For X-Files, once the alien invasion arc largely finished, Mulder left and Scully took a backseat, punctuated with Krychek's death (spoiler alert), the show limped in with a new cast and a new arc (the super soldiers). Cancellation soon followed, and they didn't even give Doggett and Reyes a decent finale. Hell, they straight up fucked over Reyes with the revival seasons.

A show like Star Trek: DS9 ended on a logical point. The primary show arc was done, and they got out before widespread cast changes started (i think only Terry Farrell left) or a new arc had to be crammed in there. I'm sure had they tried for two more seasons, it would have been the same problems--a new arc with barely enough steam, franchise fatigue (which was happening at the time with Voyager), and an exodus of too many primary cast members.

I also dislike the term "social justice warrior," largely because it is used as a slur by intellectual cowards who can't handle being called on their bullshit, but it also quickly turns any conversation into a shitshow. There needs to be a Godwin's Law for that term now. All internet conversations will eventually involve Nazis... or SJW slurs.

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:05 am 

Watched all 6 episodes of Kingdom (Netflix), a Korean made zombie series set in the 1700's or thereabouts. It kept my interest throughout, actually ended up watching the whole thing in 1 evening.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:50 pm 

I can hardly understand shit these new Klingons say. Their voices are all garbled and weird. I mean, I get it, they’re aliens. But the viewers aren’t!

Face_your_fear_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:47 pm 

Hawaii-Five-0 2010 4/10

This remake is fine, in theory, yet the story-line is completely unbelievable. The idea that an active duty Naval officer (SEAL) can simply depart the Navy whenever he feels like it is truly beyond reality. The idea that the Governor can simply make this guy a gun-toting police officer with zero police training or procedural knowledge is laughable. The idea that a police academy cadet can simply punch out a fellow surfer with impunity is pure insanity. Sure, the show had some funny or interesting moments - but it goes way beyond suspension of dis-belief into the realm of WTF? And those funny moments really are few and far between. All of this makes the characters themselves unlikeable because of the way they go about their police work. From the very beginning of the show it screamed silly - I don't hold out hope for much better as it goes along into its tenth season.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:28 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Yeah I thought it was much better. First time I've really felt like I was watching Star Trek. I'm also wondering if the whole chasing-the-red-thingies plot means that each episode this season will be somewhat self-contained like this one was, which...means more alignment with classic Trek, but they still get to put the pieces together in the end and have a cool overarcing narrative. I'm cautiously optimistic!

I was going to say are you fucking crazy, but then I realised your post is a week old. Yeah, episode 2 was definitely the least worst of the series so far. Unfortunately, now episode 3 was a return to full-on season 1 trash and then some. Amazing how it managed to be so boring even though it was jam-packed with non-stop crap.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:57 am 

DS9 was meant to run 8 seasons and I found season 7 to be mostly bad with a few bright spots. I still consider DS9 seasons 4-6 to be the most consistently good Trek.

To segue into Discovery, the first season had lots of problems but was probably the least-crap first season of a Star Trek series. Haven't seen the third episode yet but I can't say I'm too thrilled at the prospect of the return of the Klingons, who've always sucked outside of Star Trek 6 and Worf (although even Worf was bad during early TNG).

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:35 am 

Eh, I was expecting it to suck pretty badly because of your comment droneriot, but I didn't hate it. It wasn't as good as episode 2, but I didn't think it was as bad as a lot of season 1. Still a bit too much action/adventure and soapy interpersonal drama at the expense of more Trek-ish themes, but there are some political machinations at least, and I think it was decently entertaining, despite some meh writing/acting/plot stuff. Maybe a 6/10 or something on an imdb scale, so above average. I'd probably give episode 2 a 6.5 or 7/10.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:35 am 

Actually I found some of the themes very Trek-ish, like the alternate universe fungus being the awkward school friend or Klingon politics, it's just that they made them so extremely dumb, like a really bad fan film but with glossy production values painted over it. The Klingon "mother" or Section 31 as some "badass Magnificent Seven" is like, I dunno, like they were writing a Galaxy Quest episode.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:24 pm 

So I finally watched Rick and Morty. Binged watch the 3 seasons in 2 days. I was saving it for hard times, convinced that it would rule.

It did. Hitchhiker's Guide meets South Park. Pickle Rick fucking killed me.

Vic's Dungeon:

The Best of 2017

Best of 2016- The sloppiest list on the web

Remember the Fallen: Paul Baloff (Exodus), Keith Deen (Holy Terror)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:28 pm 

Last time I binge watched it was Hannibal, for two and a half seasons. It wasn't planned as a binge watch, but the first two seasons really sucked me in, but then the third season I couldn't even watch till the end. Maybe it's just me, but there seems to have been an enormous drop in quality and it feels like they weren't expecting to be renewed for a third season and then had absolutely no idea what to do with it.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:32 pm 

The Oroville was on the other night. I kind of liked this series at first because even though (at it's best) it was basically a parody of Star Trek, it was still enjoyable in that "Star Trek Ripoff" kind of way. Good interesting storylines, interesting characters, entertaining, etc. It will never be remembered as great classic TV in the way Star Trek was, but I found it still worth watching.

But the other night's episode, I could just see the Comic Book Guy with his famous one liner "Worst...Episode...Ever." The entire plot was confined to the ship, and was about one of the crew trying to get romantically involved with a robot?!? Sheesh. No adventure, space battles with the Krill, exploring other planets, just a lady and her robot-dating fetish. I suppose it provided an interesting commentary on the nature of dating and relationships, but that's about the only good thing that could be said for that episode.

Even classic Star Trek had a few "shark-jumping" episodes, but these were generally rare- and even they weren't as bad as that.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:40 pm 

Out of six season two episodes so far, four have been relationship episodes. It seems that's what the show is about now and I'm not too fond of it. Gotta give us more aliens and planets and stuff.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:49 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
So I finally watched Rick and Morty. Binged watch the 3 seasons in 2 days. I was saving it for hard times, convinced that it would rule.

Glad you like it, too. It's awesome. I managed to get an older workmate into it, too, and now every time she sees me she's like, "I gotta take a shit" in reference to S3E1, haha.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:11 am 

I started The Man in the High Castle, and I suppose, Sherlock, as well.

Enjoying the former, the first episode of the latter was alright, but the show clearly has potential. I guess I'm tired of the soft-spoken pseudo-intellectual serial killer bad guys these days. Shut the fuck up already.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:39 pm 

What the fuck is this latest Orville episode? Hahahahaha. It's sooooooo bad!

edit: I hadn't even gotten to the sex scene. Wow.

and tons of people on reddit are talking about how great it was. I'm dead.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:52 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:

Funny you say that, cause I thought it was better than the Game of Thrones episode that aired the same night and it was a big one.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:21 pm 

I just finished the Ted Bundy documentary on Netflix last night.

I hope all those idiots at the courthouse Bundy escaped from twice were fired immediately.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:49 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I just finished the Ted Bundy documentary on Netflix last night.

I hope all those idiots at the courthouse Bundy escaped from twice were fired immediately.

That was INSANE right? I never knew so many crazy details of his story. The multiple escapes, the fact that his murders were basically spread across the entire country. He was a complete idiot, but also somehow pretty clever in a lot of ways? Getting him to diagnose himself on tape was fairly spectacular.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:31 pm 

I didn't know about the escapes either.

After that second escape I can't even imagine the embarrassment the staff there must have felt. Also, after escaping he went to Florida and brutally murdered two women and beat another two almost to death.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:39 pm 

Yeah I was completely mortified for them. It's already embarrassing to get "caught out" not doing your job, but when it leads to something like THAT? I can't even imagine.

Overall I think this might be the best documentary I've ever seen on a serial killer. The information was super detailed and thorough, but presented in a way that kept me on the edge of my seat. There are so many unbelievable moments.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:53 pm 

Yea, I enjoyed it also.

I can't take my eyes off serial killer stories. They scare the SHIT out of me, but I can't stop looking up every single, minute detail I can find. Then I spend the first hour in bed at night wondering what the hell I'm doing to myself.

I think I remember the big party outside of the execution from when I was little. I think I'm interested in this so much, because it's such a conundrum for me. He killed all those people, but I also don't think him being killed should be celebrated. Or maybe I do, I don't know. I think I'm against the death penalty, but fucked if I could explain to one of these families of the victims why I think it's wrong.

Jonpo
Hypercolombowler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:36 pm 

No I agree the people using his death day as a fucking party excuse were really disgusting. Not AS disgusting as the things he did, on the pretend moral scale, but definitely really disappointing and embarrassing. Especially given that most of them were children, relatively speaking.

If you haven't seen it, there's a really good 20/20 special called "My Father BTK" where they interview the daughter of uh...BTK, obviously.

Last edited by Jonpo on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:51 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
What the fuck is this latest Orville episode? Hahahahaha. It's sooooooo bad!

edit: I hadn't even gotten to the sex scene. Wow.

and tons of people on reddit are talking about how great it was. I'm dead.

I dunno about Reddit, but I was talking on here about how terrible it was, and if they keep making episodes like that one, THE SHOW will be dead. At least, to me.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:58 pm 

Aside from John Billingsley in "Home", I haven't enjoyed the second season even nearly as much as the first, it's a very steep step down so far. Sad to say, I really loved the first season. There's been almost no exploring or encountering aliens etc so far in the second season, and I think that's a big reason it's not doing much for me, it's way too much stuff just between the main cast on the ship.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:51 am 

I watched the first episode of Kingdom on Netflix. It's compared to Game Of Thrones meets The Walking Dead - but in Korea. I don't know how accurate that is: I never watched GOT and thought the first season of TWD was very stupid so I didn't continue, but I am enjoying Kingdom and look forward to seeing the next episode.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:34 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
No I agree the people using his death day as a fucking party excuse were really disgusting. Not AS disgusting as the things he did, on the pretend moral scale, but definitely really disappointing and embarrassing. Especially given that most of them were children, relatively speaking.

If you haven't seen it, there's a really good 20/20 special called "My Father BTK" where they interview the daughter of uh...BTK, obviously.

I happened to notice that last night. I'm sure I'll be digging in soon.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148  Next