* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:05 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
rant about emails

Hey man! I hadn't seen you in a good while. Cool to see you're still around.

Yeah... I know what you mean. It's happened to me a couple of times. You make a minor update, or even add a band, and suddenly people start asking if you can give them the band's phone number and their supersecret band handshake.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:38 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:
rant about emails

Hey man! I hadn't seen you in a good while. Cool to see you're still around.

Thanks. What still strikes me is how many years have passed since I have registered. Damn.
I will have to write some reviews soon or rather get them completed. Bands that I have been in touch been for so many years will or already have released some (new) music. Feels like an obligation somehow.

OpsiusCato wrote:
Yeah... I know what you mean. It's happened to me a couple of times. You make a minor update, or even add a band, and suddenly people start asking if you can give them the band's phone number and their supersecret band handshake.

Who are we to give away the super secret hand shakes. Most of the times it'll costs you an arm, at times even a leg. Too precious to throw out these as freebies, then.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:22 pm 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
Who are we to give away the super secret hand shakes. Most of the times it'll costs you an arm, at times even a leg. Too precious to throw out these as freebies, then.
I concur in agreeance, my dear "Total Stranger".
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:10 am 

Going to be meeting the girlfriend's kids this weekend. And she'll be meeting my boy. Our kids are not remotely the same age, but younger kids always love my son so, should be fine.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:06 pm 

That should be fun. I hope it goes well!

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:15 pm 

German Greens propose 19% tax on meat, to offset the atmosphere-damaging methane that’s, shall we say, “deposited” by cattle:
https://www.politico.eu/article/germany ... e-on-meat/
It’s literally a tax on bullshit :lol:

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:19 pm 

:lol:

So a lot of people are hyping up the current Iron maiden shows. They're playing here tonight and I can't go, and as it feels like this might be their final tour (I don't think they've confirmed this or anything though, it's just a feeling) I was actually a little bummed about not attending. A friend who's going was just here and out of curiosity I looked up the setlist to see what might be generating all this buzz -- and was a little surprised. In my opinion the setlist is not all that great, mostly includes songs I've seen them play many times before (except maybe for "Revelations"), and even seems a little short. It seems odd that after all this time they still have "Sign of the Cross" and "The Clansman" in heavy rotation, too.

Edit:
I realise I'm I'm probably in the minority in wanting to hear a very different setlist from a band each time I see them. And, indeed, if this really is their final tour, I guess I can't blame them for trotting out the same old regular staples. Then again, this set includes no songs from Number of the Beast. Yes, none at all, and I guess that in itself is a bit unusual..
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:31 pm 

Cuban tank breaks down during “tank biathlon” at Russian International Army Games:
https://www.radiotelevisionmarti.com/a/ ... 45163.html
I have no idea what a “tank biathlon” consists of, but I’d assume antiquated Cold War leftovers from Cuba are perfectly suited - drive 100 metres, get out and push the next 100.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:37 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Edit:
I realise I'm I'm probably in the minority in wanting to hear a very different setlist from a band each time I see them...Then again, this set includes no songs from Number of the Beast. Yes, none at all, and I guess that in itself is a bit unusual..

Well apart from the title track and Hallowed Be Thy Name, you are correct. And you are not in the minority: the first time I saw them they opened up with Moonchild(!!!), and also played Phantom of the fucking Opera and The Evil That Men Do. The last time I saw them, they played Children of the Damned, Blood Brothers, and POWERSLAVE.

To be fair, on this tour Maiden decided to focus almost entirely on their stage performance, hence all the theatrics. It'll be my fourth time seeing them and this setlist kind of has me unimpressed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 am 

I wanted to see Maiden here in Florida but didn't end up getting my tax return the way I'd wanted, and then forgot all about buying those tickets. Shame... I dunno if it'll be their last tour though. Hope not.

mike40k
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:14 pm 

I've noticed my record player is playing slightly too fast. And this deck doesn't seem to have a way to manually adjust the speed outside of 33 or 45. Would a new band make a difference? Or am I shit outta luck?
https://www.facebook.com/pathsmetal

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:57 am 

Iron Maiden will be here in two weeks, and I completely forgot to buy tickets for the show.

Now my fucking air handler in my house might have a coolant leak. That's super.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 am 

Maiden tickets are now about 70 quid, so I probably don't want to pay that for a band whose setlists are of such varying quality (or, so bloody rigid!). I'm content with having seen them a couple of times (2005 had a really cool setlist!). And for the same money, I could easily get tickets to a festival with much more bang for my buck.

Also, the gig would just be full of those weird dudes who only listen to Maiden. Ewwww.

Uncolored wrote:
non 80's wodos members are enemies of teutonic beatles hairstyle thrash

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:25 am 

For those who cannot get enough of sloth-themed music, there is also a
Quote:
musical mythology & ongoing sloth-themed rock opera told in prog, psych, folk and paper mache.

Bandcamp

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
http://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com/index.php/wiki/A_dead_spot_of_light
Some analysis on the metal scene (data taken from the Metal Archives):
http://oneyoudontknow.com

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:53 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Going to be meeting the girlfriend's kids this weekend. And she'll be meeting my boy. Our kids are not remotely the same age, but younger kids always love my son so, should be fine.

How'd it go?

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:42 am 

Kerrick wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

How'd it go?

Been a while since I was around kids this young, so I need to remember how to approach them, but they were both polite to me and listened when I spoke to them or asked them something. Her son things my son is awesome. Smaller kids are always fascinated with teenagers anyway, and he's good at dealing with youngsters.

My girlfriend's friend was also there, visiting from Oregon. They flew in to help my gf with some court stuff, and they're (they/them as they are trans) very entertaining. I met them the previous Saturday night. And my gf liked my son and thinks he's deeper and more intelligent than he lets on.

She's just finalizing the end of a 15-year relationship (been separated for over a year and a half), so I'm her first "adult" relationship and the first time for her kids meeting someone she's seeing who isn't their father. So we approached this all very carefully. My son and I have been through this before, but it's new territory for her. All in all, things went well. We did the whole meet in a park so the kids had space to run around.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:26 am 

Right on. I'm glad to hear things went well! It sounds like a pretty complex situation that requires careful navigation, but that's encouraging that all's going very well so far.

Closing date was Monday for our first house. It's still a bit unreal that my wife and I are homeowners! (Well, technically the bank is for the next 30 years but that's just a minor detail haha...) It needs a LOT of work. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday pulling some real nasty carpet and carpet pad out. Those tack-strips are a pain too. But with fresh paint and floors, this place is going to be a completely different house. It's exhausting but rewarding work and I'm excited to continue digging into it and beautifying the place. Some of the neighbors have already introduced themselves to us and like seemingly everyone else in north Idaho, they're incredibly friendly.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 pm 

Kerrick wrote:
Right on. I'm glad to hear things went well! It sounds like a pretty complex situation that requires careful navigation, but that's encouraging that all's going very well so far.

Closing date was Monday for our first house. It's still a bit unreal that my wife and I are homeowners! (Well, technically the bank is for the next 30 years but that's just a minor detail haha...) It needs a LOT of work. I spent quite a bit of time yesterday pulling some real nasty carpet and carpet pad out. Those tack-strips are a pain too. But with fresh paint and floors, this place is going to be a completely different house. It's exhausting but rewarding work and I'm excited to continue digging into it and beautifying the place. Some of the neighbors have already introduced themselves to us and like seemingly everyone else in north Idaho, they're incredibly friendly.

Congrats! My wife and I just bought a house last October. The house itself is in decent shape other than some odds and ends, but the backyard is a mess. I've spent the last several weeks pulling and sawing out a gigantic tangle of buckthorn that's growing around the edge of the property.

NEW Valcove album Forge @ https://valcove.bandcamp.com/album/forge. For fans of Aphex Twin, Autechre, ambient techno

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:22 am 

Thanks dude! And likewise, congrats to you! Dealing with the buckthorn sounds like a massive amount of work in itself... We're not even thinking about the work the yard will need until we've got the insides halfway decent.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:40 pm 

Ontario’s small-government Conservatives at it again:
https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/ottawa/20 ... 51876.html
Premier Ford to force all Ontario gas stations to display a decal opposing the federal carbon tax, on penalty of $10,000 fine. To be clear, I agree with their sentiment that carbon taxes and emissions cap-and-trade schemes have much more to do with economic control than with ecological stewardship.
But this hamfisted government bullying of private enterprise to toe the line of a political agenda, is not the kind of thing that happens in healthy functioning democracies.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:35 am 

I'm overseas for the first time! Being in Norway reminds me of how much of a crazy, right wing shithole the US really is! Midgarsblot was incredible.

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:37 am 

Even in 2019, deathcore can't help but copy itself shamelessly.

Spoiler: show

OpsiusCato

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:23 pm 

Deathcore fucking sucks. Fucking pathetic music for wusses and wankers.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Vadara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:48 pm 

Wow, a time traveler from 2007! I'm sure your overrated Dad Metal's better.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:05 pm 

No, deathcore is pretty objectively terrible. Was true in 2007, still true in 2019--you just don't hear about it anymore because us sensible people assumed this universal truth to be old hat and thus don't need to go over it that often anymore since this matter was settled back in 2007.
Mob Psycho 100 II
After That: Martian Successor Nadesico and The Irresponsible Captain Tylor

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:11 pm 

If old school metal is dad metal, that's one awesome dad man. Deathcore is like that 20 something year old that can't escape their teen years and still lives with their parents and are just having a hard time deciding what to do with their life.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:07 pm 

Eh I don't listen to deathcore enough to have a strong opinion... I'm sure there are good bands out there, though I remember hating Job for a Cowboy's old work quite a lot. I don't see that stuff as any different from, say, liking Beast in Black/Battle Beast/Sabaton shit or whatever else. There's always varying shades of quality. There's also good stuff out there in any genre.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:29 pm 

I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and allow Infant Annihilator to get shit on. :crash: :tongue:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:31 am 

oneyoudontknow wrote:
For those who cannot get enough of sloth-themed music, there is also a
Quote:
musical mythology & ongoing sloth-themed rock opera told in prog, psych, folk and paper mache.

Bandcamp

*very slowly turns head all the way around in your direction*

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:37 am 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
Deathcore is like that 20 something year old that can't escape their teen years and still lives with their parents and are just having a hard time deciding what to do with their life.

You could say that about any style of metal, especially black metal. :oh shit:

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:59 am 

Based on my experience i would say that Black metal was born specifically for middle class IT workers

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:06 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Based on my experience i would say that Black metal was born specifically for middle class IT workers

In Finland, middle-class IT workers is the demographic for bands like Wintersun, Sonata Arctica, etc.

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:20 am 

That also! :lol: But here power-melodeath is more localized in IT university students: they either outgrow it or start the dark descent into Behemoth/Mgla

We can agree that IT is the latest hotspot for everything metal :)

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 am 

Neeeerds!!!

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:55 am 

Forever.

Deathcore is total poop by the way.
low frequency rumbles with ghastly screeches on top of it is the phrase i would use to describe the sounds of a pig slaughterhouse :(

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:44 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Forever.

Deathcore is total poop by the way.
low frequency rumbles with ghastly screeches on top of it is the phrase i would use to describe the sounds of a pig slaughterhouse :(

Isn’t that exactly what deathcore is aiming for?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:15 pm 

80s/90s South American deathcore > whatever crap that term has applied to for the past decade or so

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:42 pm 

Vadara wrote:

Lmao yeah cant wait to listen to the same copy paste swedeath ripoff hack job. Oh but this time its got some demilich rip off sections too! Woah!

Cmon are we still doing "boo man bun metal" in 2019?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:02 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Vadara wrote:

Lmao yeah cant wait to listen to the same copy paste swedeath ripoff hack job. Oh but this time its got some demilich rip off sections too! Woah!

Cmon are we still doing "boo man bun metal" in 2019?

Hey, there's some variety - now we can also have 50 ripoffs of 80s speed metal without anything to say every year, too.

What's boo man bun metal though?

PvtNinjer
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:49 pm 

Untrue "Hipster" metal

Hoenstly i actually like a lot of that samey stuff too, but the whole "wussy deathcore" posturing is just so lame.

Edit: is it just me or has the angry metal guy blog jumped the shark? They have been making some just absplutely baffling choices as far as what promos to review, even missing some pretty big names to review some of the worst no name bands with horrible album ive seen in a while. Some of yhe old reviewers are still pretty good but all the new guys have just absolutely awful taste. I guess im just getting old lol.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 214, 215, 216, 217, 218  Next