Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:26 pm 

Oh! I just assumed if you get 112% you also must have the Platinum trophy. I'm not much of an achievement hunter so I didn't realize.

You haven't played Celeste or Dead Cells? At all? Oh god. Say goodbye to your life.

I keep trying to make myself enjoy the Nioh 2 demo but I can't handle those fucking "glowing red" 1 hit kill maneuvers. It's like the LAMEST version of a Mikiri situation from Sekiro. Do I just...run? I guess I shouldn't have skipped the tutorial! It would be so much more engaging if there was a button combination I could quickly input to counter-act.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:45 pm 

I think I tried Dead Cells briefly. It was that or Axiom Verge. I have Hyper Light Drifter too. Maybe it was that? :???:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 pm 

I can't say much actually, Dead Cells didn't grab me until I shelved it for months. But now...man. It's such an addiction. I suck at the game but just getting my first boss cell was so exciting, and every time you "beat" the game it transforms into a brand new, more challenging beast.

Hyper Light Drifter is my favorite game of all time. Full stop. I'll probably get a tattoo related to the main character eventually. I've beat it like 3 or 4 times at this point. It's Zelda remade for a new era. I never could beat it on NG+ though. Only having 2 little "health blips" means pretty much every single boss 1-shots you. I'd like to conquer that eventually.

Oh and I finally found the One Reborn boss fight. I was so confused. Thought the big homie hanging off the Yahar'gul chapel shooting lasers at me was the boss. I was like "Okay but how though?"

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:28 pm 

The One Reborn is kind of a pushover as far as Soulsborne bosses go, but goddamn if it doesn't have some amazing presentation. The whole thing with it falling out of a forced-perspective moon portal like dripping, sickeningly colossal afterbirth is just fantastic. You truly feel like you're about to fight something that shouldn't exist.
Infant Annihilator are well known to sell their albums on Iron Maiden - Killers tapes that they recorded their stuff over. And they're in the process of figuring out how to burn over pressed Beherit and Darkthrone CDs.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:44 pm 

Oh dude, YES. The fucking nastiness dripping out of the moon/cosmos was so cool. I guess I'm hard to please with monster design cause I was disappointed that it does have a humanoid form attached, but I guess it's supposed to have some humanity I'll be honest I've been playing this same character for like 2 years I've completely lost track of whatever story line there is lol.

I'm prepared to cheese the fight with help from the summon. I got him down to like half health on my first attempt and then got flattened by "falling corpse slop" or whatever you want to call it. The next few attempts I got stuck on an urn and one-shot trying to get to the bell heauxs and then decided it was time to pack it in for the night.

Edit: Check and mate you weird gross fuck.

Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:03 pm 

I'd say the humanoid torso makes a lot of sense though. The implication is that the One Reborn is the end result of attempts to produce an artificial god through blasphempus rituals, using the (presumably living) bodies of the area's populace as a medium for it to manifest. Clearly, the experiment was not a success.
Infant Annihilator are well known to sell their albums on Iron Maiden - Killers tapes that they recorded their stuff over. And they're in the process of figuring out how to burn over pressed Beherit and Darkthrone CDs.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:35 am 

Bloodborne's the coolest fucking game ever. That's all I have to say right now.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:17 am 

Bloodborne is my favorite game of all time. It made me into a Souls fan. (Except DS2)

I took a break yesterday to let my hand rest. I might not dive into a new game just yet, since Jedi comes out in a week.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:16 am 

I'm for sure looking forward to playing Bloodborne again, without the months long pauses between sessions. I didn't really do any of the "quest lines" successfully, and I haven't come across much gear. Been using Ludwig's Blade since the very early days. I'll probably do another run and play around with more arcane/bloodtinge or something.

I figured out what to do on Celeste, thankful I don't have to replay every level from the beginning looking for secret rooms. Only the Summit levels. I started them over last night and found one of the gems immediately, so it shouldn't be too difficult I hope. Can't wait to add Celeste to the short list of games I've completed.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:07 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
(Except DS2)

Fight me.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 pm 

I've got a soft spot for DS2: SotFS because it was my first exposure to FromSoft. I didn't quite beat it, but I've got like 60 fucking hours in so I'll probably go back and wrap that up at some point. It's slow and sluggish and your character feels as dense as a dying star but I was SMITTEN fam. I had never played anything like that. Such a compelling, depressive atmosphere, and the (nonsensical) way the different biomes interconnect was just mind-boggling to me.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:50 pm 

So I undusted my Xbox 360 to play some older games. Call of Duty series and Max Payne 3 run fine. However, I tried the Orange Box (ft. Half-Life 2 etc.) and it has a poor framerate. Did it always have a bad framerate on the Xbox 360? I don't remember it being this way.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:52 pm 

I found the solution. My Xbox 360 was plugged into a surge protector. The Xbox 360's power cord already has a protector built in. If you have both plugged in at the same time, it actually reduces power to the Xbox. So, I plugged it directly into an outlet and the framerate is a lot better.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:56 am 

Would that apply to PS4? I noticed mine has glitched a few times since I switched to a surge protector.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:58 pm 

Trying to gain your footing in a niche fighting game community is tough man. Rivals of Aether. Took me 2 hours and 36 matches to clock my first win over a human being. It's a masterful platform brawler ala Smash but much prettier. 1-35 baby! Woo! I'm on my way...

Also, I can't remember, was ANYONE else here madly in love with Katana Zero? It's a bloody neon noir ssamurai masterpiece. Quick to beat but the speedrun possibilities and hard mode open up some replay value. Not to mention you eventually just want a "fix" of the gameplay. I don't know of anything else like it. The soundtrack is god damn near flawless as well. DLC is coming soon. You really need to experience this thing.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 am 

I'm sorry to double-post. Found some weird, interesting stuff this weekend on Steam.

First of all, if you've been craving an old-school Zelda experience lately, as I have, PLEASE head over to Steam and download the demo for Hazelnut Bastille. It's soooooo fun. https://store.steampowered.com/app/9687 ... _Bastille/ The demo has full controller support, which they recommend using. The game is obviously a love letter to old school Zelda with a few tongue-firmly-in-cheek notes left in chests around the world to guide your adventure. There is a wonderful dash attack that you can use to clear gaps in bridges or transition to a new area. The demo doesn't hold your hand much with what to do or where to go and you know we love that. I played it for a few hours and I'm still not done.

Secondly, the "Skautfold" series on Steam. Any of you had this pass your desk? The original game, Shrouded in Sanity, is from like 2016 and gets billed as "2d Bloodborne" a lot. Which is probably accurate af, at least until Hunt the Night comes out. The game is atmoshperic to an extreme, and also has very obvious FromSoft influence, even down to the controls (shoulder bumper for light attack, trigger for heavy, parry with your gun or sword). https://store.steampowered.com/app/4445 ... in_Sanity/ This is the link. The game is....rough. I'm not going to lie. It's made by one dude and there are some rough edges. But it's also $5 fucking dollars at full-price. Once I beat it, I'm going to check out the second game in the series, Usurper, which is a straight up metroidvania. These games remind me of finding a one-man heavy metal band that you know SHOULD suck, but somehow doesn't. Shrouded in Sanity is tough so far. I died in the tutorial several times. Most every enemy can kill you in 2 hits. Looking forward to exploring it's weird atmosphere more.

I love weird stuff like this Skautfold series. You can tell it's one guy trying REALLY hard to make something people will love. It's rough around the edges but I'm willing to forgive some things. So far, the technical aspects have all been pretty clean. You are in a spooky mansion and you can explore any part of it at will from the very beginning. I have no idea what's going on and these fucking evil butlers keep killing me but it the atmosphere rules and the gameplay is satisfying in a "Holy shit this is a 2D FromSoft game!" kinda way. Don't sleep on Hunt the Night though. When that comes out I'm going to become a recluse.

Last edited by Jonpo on Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:22 am 

Death Stranding looks like everything I dislike about video games rolled into one. I'll watch someone play, but I'm not getting it. :lol:

After reading they plan to become a movie studio, this game does make some sense. I'm just not that guy.

Bloodstone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:59 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
Death Stranding looks like everything I dislike about video games rolled into one. I'll watch someone play, but I'm not getting it. :lol:

After reading they plan to become a movie studio, this game does make some sense. I'm just not that guy.

Slowly going through it, I'm about 15 hours in. I appreciate the game's uniqueness and innovations and that sweet Hideo Kojima insanity nonsense I've been a fan of for 20 years is just all over this game. There's often great immersion walking through the world making your deliveries and all the online collaborative features (i.e. placing ladders or bikes for other players to use, help other players complete deliveries) at times work really well, which ties nicely into the game's overall themes.

However the game's item management and menu navigation I find just insufferable. I feel Kojima's crazy design ideas got the better of pure gameplay enjoyment this time around. Also, this constantly grey, washed out world is not really a place I wish to escape to in the month of November. The game does open up a bit after the first few hours, and I've heard that the gameplay changes fairly dramatically later on as well. I have to see for myself how crazy things get towards the end, so I will keep playing out of pure curiousity. But yeah, I find the game pretty hard to recommend overall. I expected the reviews to be way more divisive than the current 83% score on Metacritic suggests.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 881, 882, 883, 884, 885