Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4853
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:06 pm 
 

It's not that great anyway. There's a few good episodes but there's more stinkers than there should be in a season that's so short.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 11422
Location: Tyrn Gorthad
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:42 pm 
 

Been watching Altered Carbon. A few thoughts:

- Lots of blatant Blade Runner ripoffery, but I guess that's fine
- Super cool visuals, including some really graphic violence (also loads of nudity if that's your thing, nearly Spartacus levels)
- The kind of silliness/corny dialogue actually sort of mesh well with the pulpy feel that cyberpunk so often has, but still it sort of clashes with the serious tone of the other aspects of the show
- The main character is a gaping void of charisma. I don't really care about him at all. His cop chick foil is also pretty dry but not as bad.
- Pretty generic plot as of a few episodes in

I'll keep watching it, but so far it seems like a lot of wasted potential.
_________________
Nolan_B wrote:
I've been punched in the face maybe 3 times in the past 6 months


GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Top
 Profile  
Timeghoul
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:00 pm
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:12 pm 
 

Being a long time reader of the Watchmen comic book series I was fairly hesitant about watching the show. I actually like it quite a bit. I don't want to post any spoilers, but I like the direction it is taking. They do a great job with backstories. Although I am not really sure if a casual t.v. viewer would enjoy it. I say that because I fear it won't last for more than a few seasons, due to its complex storyline.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4853
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:14 pm 
 

I watched the first episode of Altered Carbon and found it so generic and predictable I declared the whole show garbage and anyone who liked it objectively wrong.

On a lark, I picked it up again and now it's one of my favorite TV shows. Even if you set aside the HBO production values, it's one of the most unique sci-fi shows out there. I also came to love the lead, despite him looking like a cracked out GI Joe.

But I still think the first two episodes suck and it's hard to blame anyone for quitting early. It's like they were so afraid of overwhelming the audience with the weird-ass INSANELY complex plot and novel ideas (at least for a TV show) that they course corrected into making "edgy Blade Runner" with VO so bad it made Harrison Ford's godawful original narration sound like Dostoyevsky. But it really does turn into something pretty awesome by just a few episodes in, and never really lets up.

It's also exactly 500 billion times better than Watchman.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5638
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:17 pm 
 

Watchmen's about 500 billion times better than I expected it to be. Huge fan of the comics, thought the idea of a sequel TV series was laughable, decided to check it out anyway and now I'm fairly blown away. Also the fact it has neckbeards screaming on the internet about being "too political" and "sjw" makes it even sweeter.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4853
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:48 pm 
 

Wait, there's actually a Watchman tv show?? I thought Timeghoul was talking about AC compared to the Snyder movie lol.

I mean, Alan Moore has been a lifelong hard left activist, so if the neoreactionary internet didn't declare something based on his work "SJW cultural marxist virtue signaling for fat blue haired feminazis who've never done a hard day's work in their lives" then it's probably not faithful to his work :lol: (see: Zach Snyder).
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26893
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:50 pm 
 

The Watchmen show is fucking wild in every sense of the word. It's so far out there compared to most shows and does the original book faithful by being equally as fearless. Last three eps have been fucking nuts.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5638
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:06 pm 
 

darkeningday wrote:
I mean, Alan Moore has been a lifelong hard left activist, so if the neoreactionary internet didn't declare something based on his work "SJW cultural marxist virtue signaling for fat blue haired feminazis who've never done a hard day's work in their lives" then it's probably not faithful to his work :lol: (see: Zach Snyder).


That's exactly why it's embarrassing and hilarious - anyone whining about the TV series being too leftist political obviously never bothered reading the book. The show also retcons the awful Snyder movie right off the bat in the first eppy. Did you guys know that Snyder's lately been threatening to make big budget film adaptations of Ayn Fucking Rand books? What depths will he not sink to?

Top
 Profile  
GTog
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:50 pm 
 

I gave Altered Carbon a go. Visually super cool, but that's all I got from it. I could just as easily watch the whole thing on mute and still get the exact same level of enjoyment out of it.
_________________
Metalheads never get old. We just become legendary.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4853
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:27 am 
 

GTog wrote:
I gave Altered Carbon a go. Visually super cool, but that's all I got from it. I could just as easily watch the whole thing on mute and still get the exact same level of enjoyment out of it.

But how much did you watch? Because the first two episodes sucked (especially the first, which caused me to prematurely drop the show) yet it's one of my favorite shows.

Razakel wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
I mean, Alan Moore has been a lifelong hard left activist, so if the neoreactionary internet didn't declare something based on his work "SJW cultural marxist virtue signaling for fat blue haired feminazis who've never done a hard day's work in their lives" then it's probably not faithful to his work :lol: (see: Zach Snyder).


That's exactly why it's embarrassing and hilarious - anyone whining about the TV series being too leftist political obviously never bothered reading the book. The show also retcons the awful Snyder movie right off the bat in the first eppy. Did you guys know that Snyder's lately been threatening to make big budget film adaptations of Ayn Fucking Rand books? What depths will he not sink to?

Fucking yikes though, Damon Lindelof spearheaded it? Him along with Rian Johnson and Edgar Wright are some of the only people whose work I dislike even more than Snyder.

I also kinda feel bad ragging on Snyder after his teenage daughter's suicide.
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 4507
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:37 am 
 

What! The Leftovers was great and Brick and Looper were both good.

I'm enjoying Watchmen a lot too.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5638
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:47 pm 
 

I never watched Lost but I liked Leftovers. As a series it wasn't totally great but it had plenty of great individual episodes. I was also pessimistic as hell re. Lindelof taking the reins of this Watchmen series, but eh, I've been won over. Let's just hope they stick the landing because obviously he's not known for spectacular endings.

Top
 Profile  
Timeghoul
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:00 pm
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:20 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
The Watchmen show is fucking wild in every sense of the word. It's so far out there compared to most shows and does the original book faithful by being equally as fearless. Last three eps have been fucking nuts.


Watchmen spoilers
Spoiler: show
Regarding the Watchmen is Ozymandias inside the gold statue? Everything that is happening to him is all in his mind as he is in some kind of coma like state inside the statue? Is he Trieu's Father? That's the direction I am going.

Speaking of Trieu does anyone have any theories on the purpose of the Millennium Clock?

Top
 Profile  
Lane
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:54 am
Posts: 258
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:34 am 
 

Watching new BBC's 3-part production of 'War of the Worlds'.

Not very hot one, I'm afraid, at least that is what I am going to say after the first part. It is not thrilling at all. I bet it is going to be overlong, too. Well, somehow I enjoy that Tom Cruise movie. At least it is shorter. While it happens in modern world, this new series happen in old times, so it's more like the book. I have to say, after what I've seen so far, Rafe Spall is boring as heck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and there seems to be Fox's own version, too...
_________________
A R C H A I C M E T A L L U R G Y
http://www.archaicmetallurgy.com

Top
 Profile  
GTog
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:35 pm
Posts: 1074
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:54 pm 
 

darkeningday wrote:
GTog wrote:
I gave Altered Carbon a go. Visually super cool, but that's all I got from it. I could just as easily watch the whole thing on mute and still get the exact same level of enjoyment out of it.

But how much did you watch? Because the first two episodes sucked (especially the first, which caused me to prematurely drop the show) yet it's one of my favorite shows.


Yeah, I get that a lot from fans of this or that show. "Oh, but it gets good after...!" Look, there is exactly 0 shortage of interesting shows to watch. This ain't the era of network TV anymore. You don't get three episodes to start getting good. Get my attention or move along.
_________________
Metalheads never get old. We just become legendary.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26893
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:58 pm 
 

Timeghoul wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
The Watchmen show is fucking wild in every sense of the word. It's so far out there compared to most shows and does the original book faithful by being equally as fearless. Last three eps have been fucking nuts.


Watchmen spoilers
Spoiler: show
Regarding the Watchmen is Ozymandias inside the gold statue? Everything that is happening to him is all in his mind as he is in some kind of coma like state inside the statue? Is he Trieu's Father? That's the direction I am going.

Speaking of Trieu does anyone have any theories on the purpose of the Millennium Clock?


Spoiler: show
I didn't consider that about the statue. It seems to me Ozymandias is in a prison of his own volition. He wants to be punished for what he did.

Some of the extra things on Peteypedia point to The Comedian being Trieu's father.

No idea at all what that clock is for... it's fascinating.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Joker

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 4853
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:25 am 
 

GTog wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
GTog wrote:
I gave Altered Carbon a go. Visually super cool, but that's all I got from it. I could just as easily watch the whole thing on mute and still get the exact same level of enjoyment out of it.

But how much did you watch? Because the first two episodes sucked (especially the first, which caused me to prematurely drop the show) yet it's one of my favorite shows.


Yeah, I get that a lot from fans of this or that show. "Oh, but it gets good after...!" Look, there is exactly 0 shortage of interesting shows to watch. This ain't the era of network TV anymore. You don't get three episodes to start getting good. Get my attention or move along.

If you want to skip over one of the most unique and mind bending sci-fi series ever made because it kicks off with a whimper instead of a bang, that's your prerogative. But I can say that once the "suicide" of James Purefoy (Mark Antony in Rome) was revealed, which happens well before the climax of the season I might add, my jaw was on the floor. Every single assumption you make about where the series is going from its seemingly pastiche and cliche opening episodes is wrong.

I also can't remember a single serialized sci-fi show that started out great from the first episode. Even for episodic ones; imagine if someone said that TNG wasn't worth your time because they watched Encounter at Far Point and The Naked Now?
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 1061
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:40 am 
 

darkeningday wrote:
GTog wrote:
Yeah, I get that a lot from fans of this or that show. "Oh, but it gets good after...!" Look, there is exactly 0 shortage of interesting shows to watch. This ain't the era of network TV anymore. You don't get three episodes to start getting good. Get my attention or move along.

If you want to skip over one of the most unique and mind bending sci-fi series ever made because it kicks off with a whimper instead of a bang, that's your prerogative. But I can say that once the "suicide" of James Purefoy (Mark Antony in Rome) was revealed, which happens well before the climax of the season I might add, my jaw was on the floor. Every single assumption you make about where the series is going from its seemingly pastiche and cliche opening episodes is wrong.

I also can't remember a single serialized sci-fi show that started out great from the first episode. Even for episodic ones; imagine if someone said that TNG wasn't worth your time because they watched Encounter at Far Point and The Naked Now?

Lol yeah the whole first season of TNG blows. I'm glad I went on to the later seasons though because there was plenty of great material there.

There do seem to be a number of shows that are enjoyable overall, but you just have to muscle through the first one or two blander "set up" episodes. I was talking with a friend the other day about how there seems to be a "two episode rule" for the Marvel Netflix series, where for the most part the first two episodes of each season are pretty dull and exposition-heavy, but they distinctly pick up on the third episode onward. (The main exception to this rule is Jessica Jones season 2, which had a very intriguing first episode but turned out to be not very good at all.)

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group