Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:21 pm 

Finally watched Star Wars Episode 9, went in with low expectations, and didn't hate it. At this point I'd probably call Episode 7 the weakest of the new trilogy just based on how close it came to being a remake of the 1977 movie. The Rise of Skywalker definitely had elements that felt rehashed too, although IMO not as severely as The Force Awakens.

Alright then. Bring on that Rian Johnson trilogy. (That's still happening, right Disney?)

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:14 am 

Of the new trilogy, VII is still the best, IMO. It captured the magic and feel of the originals, and that was more necessary than paying off anything set up previously after the shyte prequel trilogy and so many mediocre TV properties.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:34 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Alright then. Bring on that Rian Johnson trilogy. (That's still happening, right Disney?)

No, thanks.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Transition
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:33 am 

That has to be the most overrated movie, ever.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:53 am 

For me personally the Disney franchise movies are the nail in the coffin for my love affair with star wars. I haven't seen 9, nor do I plan on ever watching it. VII and VIII were such let downs for me that I cant even bring myself to watch the last installment. I'm not gonna bother going on my diatribe here cause it's not worth the time it'll take. Suffice to say that Disney's hackjob killed my love for star wars which is pretty fucking sad actually.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:08 am 

That's basically where I am on it, but, I'll probably have to sit down one of these days and just get it over with. Kind of like getting an prostate examination- you could probably live without it, but it's good to know.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:53 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
For me personally the Disney franchise movies are the nail in the coffin for my love affair with star wars. I haven't seen 9, nor do I plan on ever watching it. VII and VIII were such let downs for me that I cant even bring myself to watch the last installment. I'm not gonna bother going on my diatribe here cause it's not worth the time it'll take. Suffice to say that Disney's hackjob killed my love for star wars which is pretty fucking sad actually.

I felt the same way, but a bit over a week ago for some reason I got curious and watched The Mandalorian and it was worth it. I had fun watching Star Wars which is not something I expected to say any time soon.

I also watched Episode 9 around that same time and if you thought it was strange that even the paid critics who praised episodes 7 & 8 hated that one, let me assure you there's nothing strange about it. That "movie" managed to make the hot trash of its two predecessors look like high art.

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:49 am 

I hated the first half of Episode 9, HATED it, but that third act made the best of the bullshit that came before. Regardless, though, corporate entertainment and forced epics are almost always trash, so I don't mind people hating it.

I just think Rey deserved better. She's literally my favorite character in the entire saga because of how great Daisy Ridley is.

darkeningday wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:55 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I just think Rey deserved better. She's literally my favorite character in the entire saga because of how great Daisy Ridley is.

I still think her final line should've been "Rey...Just Rey." It would make sense for her arc and would be the perfect capstone for the saga, in that anyone can be a hero, but nope.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:12 am 

Her final line should have been "may the schwartz be with you" to somehow fit it into anything.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:13 am 

I disagree with the idea that the sequel trilogy ruined Star Wars, if only because the franchise was already so badly damaged by the prequels. That's why despite my rather low opinion of Episode 7 as a piece of entertainment, that movie is exactly what I would have wanted if I worked for Disney. "Remind people why they loved this billion dollar property we just bought!"

I also rank Episodes 8 and 9 higher than Rogue One and Solo. Rogue One in particular really bored me and I can't ever see myself giving it a second chance.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:33 am 

I loved the property because it was good, how would completely worthless garbage remind me of that?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:50 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
I still think her final line should've been "Rey...Just Rey." It would make sense for her arc and would be the perfect capstone for the saga, in that anyone can be a hero, but nope.

Co-signed. The "destiny" crap is a big reason I don't get into fantasy settings or stories at large, because everybody becomes connected and it forces the story around one incestuous group.

"Rey...just Rey" would've solved some of that, but having Kylo's "reveal" from Episode 8 about her parentage being the absolute truth would've fixed the bulk of it.

darkeningday wrote:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:58 pm 

Quote:
I loved the property because it was good, how would completely worthless garbage remind me of that?

I'm only defending Episode 7 as a smart business move. Disney forked over the GDP of a mid-size country for the rights to a franchise popular mainly because of movies made in the late 1970s to early 80s. The late 90s / early 2000s prequels damaged the brand, so the safest thing to do with their investment was to make The Force Awakens close to a remake of A New Hope.

Yeah, I found it artistically boring that the new protagonist had to be an orphan from a desert planet. And that the climax basically involved blowing up another Death Star. And that a certain major character death in the second half was very similar to Obi-Wan's death. But there's no denying Episode 7 was a financial success. The safe, bland approach worked.

Then Rian "Subvert Your Expectations" Johnson made what I consider an overlong, flawed, but more interesting movie. And the reception was more mixed, with a substantially lower box office.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:44 pm 

I watched Audition by Takashi Miike tonight for the first time in nearly ten years. It had been long enough since I first saw the movie that I had forgotten many individual moments in the film, include a big part of the ending sequence. For the benefit of those here that have not seen the movie before, I'm not going to say a single thing about the plot, because Audition is a movie that needs to be watched without any prior information about what happens in it. Take my word for it. I also implore anybody that wants to respond to this post not to talk about Audition's plot, even in spoilers, lest someone that's never seen or heard of the movie know anything about it before viewing it. All I'll say is this: Audition is a great, great movie, and Miike deserves the reputation he has as one of the finest directors in Japan.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:27 pm 

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time last night, and I was just bored out of my mind through the whole thing. I don't know why or how the mainstream consensus is that Jupiter Ascending is a bad space opera while Guardians... is good fun, but I just can't see eye-to-eye with that point of view, because to me, it's the exact opposite.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:27 am 

Speaking of sci-fi, anyone watch Midnight Special? Is it as good as its cast?

Mellifleur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 am 

As a Star Trek fan I feel bad for Star Wars fans. At least with Star Trek, even though the JJ movies, AND STD, AND Picard-show are dog-diarrhrea, there is still so much more good Star Trek content than bad that one can confidently still call themselves a fan of the franchise as a whole. It's going to take a long, long time for them to overcome the backlog of hundreds of good episodes of Star Trek spread over six series. For Star Wars fans... there's 3 good movies and 8 bad ones. At this point you can't even say Star Wars is mostly good. :( At least there's been a couple good tv series over the years. Not sure how canon they are, but it's something.

johnnyy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:16 am 

Real Genius (1985)

"Teenage geniuses deal with their abilities while developing a high-powered laser for a university project. When their professor intends to turn their work into a military weapon, they decide to ruin his plans."

An '80s favourite.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:11 am 

Subrick wrote:
Miike
His other work is worth your time.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:12 am 

Mellifleur wrote:
As a Star Trek fan I feel bad for Star Wars fans. At least with Star Trek, even though the JJ movies, AND STD, AND Picard-show are dog-diarrhrea, there is still so much more good Star Trek content than bad that one can confidently still call themselves a fan of the franchise as a whole. It's going to take a long, long time for them to overcome the backlog of hundreds of good episodes of Star Trek spread over six series. For Star Wars fans... there's 3 good movies and 8 bad ones. At this point you can't even say Star Wars is mostly good. :( At least there's been a couple good tv series over the years. Not sure how canon they are, but it's something.

I 100% agree with you, but Star Wars and Star Trek are religions at this point. You aren't gonna convince a Star Wars fan that eight out of the eleven movies are bad.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:53 am 

Mellifleur wrote:

Actually I think Star Wars has it better because Lucasfilm is divided into different departments where one can do The Mandalorian while the other does trashy movies. Star Trek has Alex Kurtzman controlling everything, nothing escapes his Brown Midas Touch.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:22 pm 

KeeperOfTheMissingLink wrote:
I watched Guardians of the Galaxy for the first time last night, and I was just bored out of my mind through the whole thing. I don't know why or how the mainstream consensus is that Jupiter Ascending is a bad space opera while Guardians... is good fun, but I just can't see eye-to-eye with that point of view, because to me, it's the exact opposite.

No you're not wrong. I actually like the Guardians of the Galaxy flicks, but yes, essentially they are garbage, as are all Marvel films. Boring, you know exactly what to expect, it's some formula they use and for some reason people like it. I dunno, cleanse your mind of that Marvel filth by watching The LIghthouse or something, you'll feel better for it.

droneriot
incelgender

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:40 pm 

Maybe people should get past their uninformed and unsupported idea that Scorcese meant his comment about Marvel films being like a theme park as an insult and should understand it for what it is, saying that those movies are simply for enjoying watching them and nothing else, and then understand there's actually nothing wrong with enjoying something. People try so hard to assert some intellectual superiority by claiming enjoyment for enjoyment's sake is somehow offensive to their self-proclaimed sense of art, but entertainment doesn't have to be art, that rule doesn't exist anywhere in the rulebook, entertainment can just be entertainment. So yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy is a movie that exists for the sole purpose of having fun watching it, and yeah it's not Kubrick's Space Odyssey, and it doesn't intend to be, and it doesn't need to be, and it shouldn't be. And your IQ doesn't magically ascend beyond 200 by saying movies shouldn't be pure entertainment, even though that might be worth a new subreddit.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm 

GotG was on my list of most loathed MCU entries after a first watch and jumped up to one of my top 5 upon a second. Just accept it for the silly space schlock it's intended to be, I guess? It's certainly better, both in terms of pure entertainment and actual execution of its ideas (and technical abilities), than quite a few Oscar winners.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:23 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Maybe people should get past their uninformed and unsupported idea that Scorcese meant his comment about Marvel films being like a theme park as an insult and should understand it for what it is, saying that those movies are simply for enjoying watching them and nothing else, and then understand there's actually nothing wrong with enjoying something. People try so hard to assert some intellectual superiority by claiming enjoyment for enjoyment's sake is somehow offensive to their self-proclaimed sense of art, but entertainment doesn't have to be art, that rule doesn't exist anywhere in the rulebook, entertainment can just be entertainment. So yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy is a movie that exists for the sole purpose of having fun watching it, and yeah it's not Kubrick's Space Odyssey, and it doesn't intend to be, and it doesn't need to be, and it shouldn't be. And your IQ doesn't magically ascend beyond 200 by saying movies shouldn't be pure entertainment, even though that might be worth a new subreddit.

Yeah basically. I watch the Marvel movies once in theaters and usually that's enough - it's just a shallow fun way to spend 2.5 hours every so often. Some people are way obsessed with them, but eh whatever.

Turbo Kid - This was a shitload of fun from the dude who'd go onto Summer of 84 a few years later. This was probably better than his later film. Just a gore-soaked yet heartfelt post-apocalyptic story with a twist. It didn't take itself so ultra-seriously that it became cloying to watch like some of these things; it was more of a lighthearted romp that happened to just be super bloody. I liked the characters.

Adaptation - Hadn't seen this in like a decade. Really good. Like Kaufman's other movies it is strange and meta and hazy. Nic Cage gives a marvelous performance, and the side story with Meryl Streep's character is really engaging too. Layered stuff here. This had a lot to say about writing and also life. I couldn't stop watching.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:40 pm 

Turbo Kid is one of my all-time favorites. It's just the perfect love letter to every sci-fi tape I brought home from the video store as a kid.

darkeningday wrote:

KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:04 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
GotG was on my list of most loathed MCU entries after a first watch and jumped up to one of my top 5 upon a second. Just accept it for the silly space schlock it's intended to be, I guess?

As far as silly space schlock goes, I still think Jupiter Ascending is the better film.

waiguoren wrote:
No you're not wrong. I actually like the Guardians of the Galaxy flicks, but yes, essentially they are garbage, as are all Marvel films. Boring, you know exactly what to expect, it's some formula they use and for some reason people like it. I dunno, cleanse your mind of that Marvel filth by watching The LIghthouse or something, you'll feel better for it.

I agree that Marvel films are formulaic, but eh... I'm not that interested in checking out The Lighthouse, or any of Robert Egger's works. The Lighthouse in particular looks like some of the Eastern European films I really like (I'm thinking something like The Turin Horse and other Bela Tarr films), but watered-down. It's like the cinematic equivalent of Americanized black metal to me.

droneriot wrote:

Hey, if you find Guardians of the Galaxy entertaining, good on you. I personally just found the film boring, even with my lowered expectations. To me, there's so many better and more interesting examples of films that are enjoyment for enjoyment's sake like Jupiter Ascending (which I keep sticking my neck out for), Big Trouble in Little China, Dragon Inn, or the Showa Godzilla films, that I have no idea why anyone would waste their time with the MCU. If "Guardians of the Galaxy is a movie that exists for the sole purpose of having fun watching it" as you so claim, then it failed to do so in my eyes as the entire time, I kept wishing to watch any one of the films I just mentioned instead.

Anyways, recently I've been obsessing over the film Ugetsu and decided to re-watch it. I highly recommend anyone who's interested in Japanese films to check out Ugetsu if you haven't seen it. WWII and the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were still relatively recent when this film was made, and even though it's a period film set in the 16th century, it still feels like a very modern film (at the time). I'm currently following it up with the documentary that my DVD comes with, Kenji Mizoguchi: The Life of a Film Director about the director in question, which I've been watching to fall asleep to, and even though it's way too long at two-and-a-half hours, it's still informative as well as a heart-felt tribute.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:16 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I disagree with the idea that the sequel trilogy ruined Star Wars, if only because the franchise was already so badly damaged by the prequels. That's why despite my rather low opinion of Episode 7 as a piece of entertainment, that movie is exactly what I would have wanted if I worked for Disney. "Remind people why they loved this billion dollar property we just bought!"

I also rank Episodes 8 and 9 higher than Rogue One and Solo. Rogue One in particular really bored me and I can't ever see myself giving it a second chance.

Er, TRoS completely arse-rapes Anakin's story and redemption arc. That makes it the worst one. Ben Emo wishes he could be Vader in Rogue One. The Disney trilogy is a disgrace.
Rogue One absolutely destroys the sequel trilogy: it does nothing to disrespect the O.T. Also, the prequels have a clear plan, with a coherent story, throughout. O.K, they're sometimes poorly executed and George's decisions were sometimes wrong, but there's a clear and concise vision. And, the fan who produced The Phantom Edit, showed how it could be greatly improved. The Sequel trilogy is shit, painted over in Star Wars colours...

God, I could rip into, 'win the war,' light skipping, C3PO saying bye to shit characters he doesn't even know. Stupid daggers, force healing powers, teleporting... Cloning, only the Sith know. Er, no, there was a war using clones. The sequel trilogy doesn't have a leg to stand on. It's disgraceful!

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:33 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:

I swear, I get slightly emotional when I watch the proper original versions of the OT. Why? Because JJ and Kennedy made an utter mess of the sequel trilogy. It's a disgrace. You will detest TRoS. It's worse than TLJ, though it's TLJ's fault that it's even worse.

The sequel trilogy has been so utterly ripped to pieces, best I also refrain from going on a rant, too.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:49 pm 

I don't know if I want to watch Rise of Skywalker. I avoided it in the theatre out of lack of interest, and now it's on Disney Plus but I'm still unsure about watching it. Part of me wants to watch it solely for the sake of completion, but I just don't know.

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:59 pm 

Completion isn't worth it in this case. The narrative effect of the latest trilogy is that of a studio smashing together three different jigsaw puzzles in the hope it will turn into a coherent picture.

FloristOfVampyrism wrote:
That wasn't meant as a k.o. though, he specifically targeted an area of the cerebellum which, if ruptured, renders you a Jehovah's witness indefinitely

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm 

TRoS is worse than TLJ, but not because of TLJ. No matter what you think about that movie (I kinda liked it) but they could have made a perfectly serviceable finale with what TLJ left them with. But instead they tried their hardest to undermine everything TLJ did and in the process ruined the whole trilogy, TLJ included.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
TRoS is worse than TLJ, but not because of TLJ. No matter what you think about that movie (I kinda liked it) but they could have made a perfectly serviceable finale with what TLJ left them with. But instead they tried their hardest to undermine everything TLJ did and in the process ruined the whole trilogy, TLJ included.

If TLJ followed some of TFA tropes, JJ wouldn't have felt the need to F it up even more. I do agree though, that in trying to rectify the mess, JJ made it worse. He could have just had Ben Emo as the supreme leader and not gone with the Palpy clone. Anakin killed Palp; not Jean G'ray' aka Mary Sue. Everything TLJ did was appalling. It's funny how JJ attacks Rian in TRoS. He ditches Rose. He calls the Holdo manoeuvre, 'a milion to one shoot,' and when Ray tosses the light saber, Luke says, 'a Jedi's weapon deserves more respect.' It's basically a fight between two children over who gets the best toy in the toy box; only, the toy box cost $4 billion.

Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:30 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Completion isn't worth it in this case. The narrative effect of the latest trilogy is that of a studio smashing together three different jigsaw puzzles in the hope it will turn into a coherent picture.

Imagine a new generation watching Star Wars for the first time. 1 through 6, and Rogue One, make sense. 7-9 are a complete mess and are just not Star Wars.

Luvers666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 pm 

Call me old if you will since I grew up with the original trilogy but nothing after those first three films is worth even bringing up. Despite what others might claim there literally was nothing else to say in the story and every film after Return Of the Jedi has been just a cash in on the resounding success of those nostalgic films.

Also, despite watching those films when they first premiered, well 2 and 3 anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed all three films but even then I never really understood why people adored it to the point of reverence. No matter how good the movies were people act like they are the film equivalent of a God and this has always perplexed me. Never really understood it.

henkkjelle
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 pm 

I'd spoiler tag that, Metal_Warspite. But yeah,

Spoiler: show
It could have been a decent action packed movie focusing on Rey vs Kylo and the weird force connection they have. Rey trying to avenge the destruction of Luke's new Jedi Order and Kylo going full Dark Side mode like a well-acted version of Episode III Anakin. Have the Knights of Ren function as the adversaries for Rey's group of friends, I dunno.

Like, that version of the movie wouldn't necessarily have turned out much different in structure - it would have been an insane over the top JJ action-fest anyways, but at least we wouldn't have ended up with bottom tier fanfiction.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:50 pm 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

Imagine a new generation watching Star Wars for the first time. 1 through 6, and Rogue One, make sense. 7-9 are a complete mess and are just not Star Wars.

Episodes 1-3 are complete and utter dogshit. But I thought they were cool when I was little and saw them in theaters. 7-9 were a godsend by comparison, this generation is spoiled by having SW movies that are actually movies, as opposed to embarrassing F-grade deranged warblings of George Lucas.

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:04 pm 

There is no way in the entirety of reality that The Last Jedi is worse than Attack of the Clones. Was The Last Jedi a lesser movie than the original trilogy? Absolutely. Was it worse than Attack of the Clones? If you said yes, I'd love to know what crack you're smoking. Attack of the Clones is an unmitigated DISASTER of a movie. The other two prequels also totally fucking suck too.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:11 pm 

But that Yoda fight is ridiculous. I'll never forget when I saw that shit go down the first time I watched the movie. He just does that little "force off" with Dooku, then takes out his lightsaber and goes ham. It was simultaneously the most ridiculous, corny, but absolutely badass thing in a Star Wars movie. Also I really liked the jedi battle on Genosis and the aliens in Kamino. Probably some of the most interesting looking aliens in Star Wars.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 759, 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765  Next