Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 27671
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:15 am 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Turbo Kid is one of my all-time favorites. It's just the perfect love letter to every sci-fi tape I brought home from the video store as a kid.


I really can't wait to see what this guy does next. It was fantastic and just one of those things where it's so inherently likable.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Friend Request

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8719
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:21 am 
 

Luvers666 wrote:
Call me old if you will since I grew up with the original trilogy but nothing after those first three films is worth even bringing up. Despite what others might claim there literally was nothing else to say in the story and every film after Return Of the Jedi has been just a cash in on the resounding success of those nostalgic films.


I'd highly suggest delving into Expanded Universe/Legends stuff if you want a better Star Wars fix than the main movies. Start with the Thrawn trilogy and go from there. Also, for canon stuff, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, Star Wars Rebels, and The Mandalorian all range from generally good to excellent.

Unorthodox wrote:
But that Yoda fight is ridiculous. I'll never forget when I saw that shit go down the first time I watched the movie. He just does that little "force off" with Dooku, then takes out his lightsaber and goes ham. It was simultaneously the most ridiculous, corny, but absolutely badass thing in a Star Wars movie. Also I really liked the jedi battle on Genosis and the aliens in Kamino. Probably some of the most interesting looking aliens in Star Wars.


The prequels admittedly have elements and scenes sprinkled throughout that could be construed as "cool". For example, all the lightsaber battles in each movie tend to be well done on a technical level, but they're really only cool in a vacuum. When viewed in the context of their respective films, it becomes impossible to care about what's going on because everything that surrounds those scenes is so incredibly, fascinatingly not good that it actually approaches being ungood much of the time. It's kinda like how the ending disaster battle sequences of Man of Steel or Transformers 3 are absolutely ridiculous setpieces that are technical marvels to watch, but everything leading up to those sequences sucks so much that there's no real point to watching what's going on.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 am
Posts: 16
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:23 am 
 

Subrick wrote:
There is no way in the entirety of reality that The Last Jedi is worse than Attack of the Clones. Was The Last Jedi a lesser movie than the original trilogy? Absolutely. Was it worse than Attack of the Clones? If you said yes, I'd love to know what crack you're smoking. Attack of the Clones is an unmitigated DISASTER of a movie. The other two prequels also totally fucking suck too.


Well, as someone who hasn't seen any of the Disney Star Wars films, Attack of the Clones is better! In my opinion, it's the most underrated Star Wars film.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:31 am 
 

Earthcubed wrote:
Episodes 1-3 are complete and utter dogshit. But I thought they were cool when I was little and saw them in theaters. 7-9 were a godsend by comparison, this generation is spoiled by having SW movies that are actually movies, as opposed to embarrassing F-grade deranged warblings of George Lucas.

Buddy, I can say this with complete certainty, but that is objectively wrong. Now, I never even bothered seeing the prequels at the cinema, Just because I'd completely grown out of it by then. So, let's be clear, this is objective.
The only argument for the ST is aesthetics, and I've heard people's arguments for the ST over the PT, based on this, alone. Their arguments completely fall apart once you get into characters and storyline.

The ST are SJW WOKE politics, incorporated into Star Wars... That's straight-up worse than the prequels. Secondly, Luke's treated like shit. Thirdly, TLJ completely fucks the ST Universe with the stupid lightspeed destruction of the Star Destroyers. The throne scene in TLJ is appalling. In fact, Disney don't know how to even use light sabers, because they're pressing the wrong button to turn the bloody thing on. Hux changes character in TLJ. Finn becomes a bumbling idiot, and his character is a mess. Ben Emo is all over the place. Ray uses all sorts of force power when convenient to the plot. The Canto Bight scene is retarded on so many levels. We can even go back to TFA for stupidness. Von Sydow (RIP) is cut down, but we know nothin' about him. If Poe is on such an important mission, why didn't he escape, immediately? Why didn't he even follow BB8? Why is fucking Luke Skywalker missing? Why doesn't the re-established Republic have a new fleet? Why isn't Leia, or Mothma, Supreme Chancellor? Why isn't Leia's military chasing down the remnant of the old Empire's fleet, in a good role reverse? Leia would still be pissed over the destruction of her planet. Maybe, her and Luke would come into conflict over this. Why doesn't Kylo Ren find the droid, instead of just taking Poe? STUPID! Why does Finn see his friend killed, then refuse to kill villagers, only to happily kill his colleagues 5 minutes later? STUPID! Where does Poe go when they crash land on Tattooine? Why does Poe suddenly forget about BB8, like it doesn't matter? STUPID! The writing in TFA & TLJ is both hack and 10 times worse than the prequels. I haven't even got started on 'your mom' jokes, stupidly designed bombers, a space chase, where fuel is an issue, and the first order has only 3 tie-fighters. Nor, Mary Sue herself, and her force powers. JUST STUPID!

The prequels are good and bad. The sequels are an absolutely joke, and objectively worse.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:58 am 
 

KeeperOfTheMissingLink wrote:
Subrick wrote:
There is no way in the entirety of reality that The Last Jedi is worse than Attack of the Clones. Was The Last Jedi a lesser movie than the original trilogy? Absolutely. Was it worse than Attack of the Clones? If you said yes, I'd love to know what crack you're smoking. Attack of the Clones is an unmitigated DISASTER of a movie. The other two prequels also totally fucking suck too.


Well, as someone who hasn't seen any of the Disney Star Wars films, Attack of the Clones is better! In my opinion, it's the most underrated Star Wars film.


ATC is still the worst of the prequels: the main issue is still dialogue, and an overuse of CGI. And, Jar Jar shouldn't have been in the movie, period. Why he's speaking on the behalf of Naboo is nearly as retarded as the ST stories. There's a good movie in there; its just badly executed, at times.

Top
 Profile  
Smalley
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:06 am
Posts: 820
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:42 am 
 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
The ST are SJW WOKE politics, incorporated into Star Wars...
Uh, what?
_________________
Smalley proudly presents: The Golden Age Of Metal!
Home Forum


Last edited by Smalley on Sat May 23, 2020 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Unorthodox
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:08 pm
Posts: 1678
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:04 am 
 

Over the last week I got through the Back to the Future trilogy. My general feelings:

Pt 1- The first one is fucking amazing, probably one of my favorite movies of all time. Not only is the plot just flat out fun, but the screenwriting is unparalleled. So many of the lines have deeper meanings to what's being said, and the various little bits of details that build into the plot are really well done. It's one of those movies that you can watch over and over and still find something new. Even if you don't, some of the stuff just never gets old, like Christopher Lloyd's performance as Doc. I think the first time I saw this I was really young, but I keep coming back to it, and it's just as good as the first time I saw it.

Pt 2- I definitely liked this one as a kid probably even more than the first, but nowadays I definitely think it's inferior to the first. The screenwriting is a lot more straightforward, which makes it feel like it's not as intricately written as the first. That said, it's still a really fun movie, and still could be watched multiple times and be enjoyed. The plot is beautifully interlaced into the plot of the first and just extends on it, which I really like. It doesn't feel like they're going over the top, but they're definitely going deeper with the whole time travel idea.

Spoiler: show
The interesting thing now is the fact that they go into the future to 2015, and now that's even five years ago. Crazy to see how they thought the future would back then. The one prediction that I thought was hilarious was that they predicted the Cubs would win the world series in 2015. However, as any Cubs fan would know, they finally won the championship in 2016. That basically means that if you watched that scene between 2015 and 2016 as a Cubs fan, you would've been completely and utterly disappointed, even more so than you typically are as a Cubs fan. Like- "fuck, they predicted it'd take thirty years from that movie being released for them to win, and they still haven't won". Oh well- good thing they won in 2016 :lol:


Pt 3- This is a fun movie, but I definitely prefer the first two parts to this one. It's got little to do with the plot of the first two, which is somewhat of a bummer because of how well they interlaced pt2 with pt1. But still, on its own merits it's a pretty entertaining B movie. I'm glad they decided to call it quits after that.
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
KeeperOfTheMissingLink
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:05 am
Posts: 16
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:48 am 
 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
ATC is still the worst of the prequels: the main issue is still dialogue, and an overuse of CGI. And, Jar Jar shouldn't have been in the movie, period. Why he's speaking on the behalf of Naboo is nearly as retarded as the ST stories. There's a good movie in there; its just badly executed, at times.


Oh please. The dialogue is no worse than the OT, and almost every big budget film released since the Prequels have used more CGI than they have. Jar Jar is speaking on behalf of Naboo because he helped to get the rest of the galaxy to take note of the Gungans and not just treat them like an easy to screw-over primitive race.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10044
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:49 am 
 

Man, Earthcubed must have run over that guy's dog or worse if he puts his name on a darkeningday post for revenge.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:27 am 
 

Smalley wrote:
Metal_Warspite wrote:
The ST are SJW WOKE politics, incorporated into Star Wars...
Uh, what?


I shouldn't need to explain this in the current Hollywood climate.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:40 am 
 

KeeperOfTheMissingLink wrote:
Metal_Warspite wrote:
ATC is still the worst of the prequels: the main issue is still dialogue, and an overuse of CGI. And, Jar Jar shouldn't have been in the movie, period. Why he's speaking on the behalf of Naboo is nearly as retarded as the ST stories. There's a good movie in there; its just badly executed, at times.


Oh please. The dialogue is no worse than the OT, and almost every big budget film released since the Prequels have used more CGI than they have. Jar Jar is speaking on behalf of Naboo because he helped to get the rest of the galaxy to take note of the Gungans and not just treat them like an easy to screw-over primitive race.


Oh yeah, it is worse. Yeah, A New Hope has its issues, especially Luke's reaction to Obi-wan telling him that his father was a Jedi. And, the way in which Luke grieves over his aunt/uncle, then says, 'I want to become a Jedi, just like my father,' but you have to consider all of the pressure and constraints George was under; he just wanted to get his 'little movie' out there, so for me, it gets a pass. Lets look at one good/bad example in ATC, where Anakin/Obi-wan are chasing an assassin. The line where Anakin says, 'it's so intoxicating,' is terrible, as well as 'I couldn't find a speeder I really liked.' It's crap. However, the act is really good, and the bar scene is excellent, especially where Obi-wan says he's going 'for a drink.' Then the interaction with the dealer: 'You wanna to buy some death stick?' 'You don't want to see me death sticks.' It's that way with the prequels: there's lots of good, mixed in with really dumb decisions, and CGI abuse.

I forgot to mention: someone as intelligent as Padme, wouldn't give a job to a bumbling idiot, who shouldn't have been in the prequels, full-stop. It's another dumb decision from George.

Top
 Profile  
ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:19 am
Posts: 851
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:11 am 
 

Quote:
The ST are SJW WOKE politics, incorporated into Star Wars...

Doesn't Episode III have that trendy early 2000s Bush-bashing line "If you aren't with me, you're my enemy" to show how evil Anakin had become? Besides being clunky, that's a more direct reference to then-current politics than anything I can recall from the Disney trilogy.
_________________
Currently listening to
Agalloch — Pale Folklore

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10044
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:23 am 
 

Dunno about that one, but Padme's "so this is how freedom dies" at the time felt like a clear Patriot Act reference.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1581
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:53 am 
 

It's okay, guys. He's an incel troll who doesn't know what homage means and thinks "objectively" means "doesn't offend my personal politics."
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:00 am 
 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Quote:
The ST are SJW WOKE politics, incorporated into Star Wars...

Doesn't Episode III have that trendy early 2000s Bush-bashing line "If you aren't with me, you're my enemy" to show how evil Anakin had become? Besides being clunky, that's a more direct reference to then-current politics than anything I can recall from the Disney trilogy.


I don't know about American politics, so couldn't comment, specifically. However, the plan and story was there before Bush was in office. Anakin arc is 40+ years old. I agree that the line and some of the dialogue is 'clunky'. Like, 'My new Empire' and 'Only a Sith deals in absolutes.' What!!! See, the core storyline is working. The scenes and score are visually working. The saber dual is working. George needed a strong producer to point out to him that the dialogue had to be worked on. Padme should have died in child birth as a result of the birth; not the explanation George wrote. And, Vader's 'Noooooo!' was stupid. Sometimes, George just doesn't get his own product. Look at what he did with Palpatine's death in the re-issue... 'No!!!!' Adding that Vader line was just stupid.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:21 am 
 

droneriot wrote:
Dunno about that one, but Padme's "so this is how freedom dies" at the time felt like a clear Patriot Act reference.


I'm not familiar with American politics, however, it's relevant to the story. What shouldn't be relevant is identify politics in Star Wars. Kennedy gained a lot of power and has gone on her historic crusade or made it her historic duty, to push Star Wars in a different direction, for a new generation. So, she fucks Star Wars and the irony is that her female characters absolutely suck. Ray, Rose and Purple Hair Lady: no one wants to know them and no one wants the toys. What Kennedy didn't understand is that you didn't need identity politics in SW. Leia shot a stormtrooper before being captured. She stood up to Vader & Tarkin. 'Her resistance to the mind probe is considerable.' She was tortured and didn't give up the location of the rebel base. Even though she wasn't planned as a Skywalker in '76, the line works well as a suggestion that she is strong minded and strong with the force. In RoTJ, she tries to free Han; she's then sexualized by Jabba, but when she had the opportunity, she strangled the fat slobby arse-hole.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1581
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:31 am 
 

You do know that Luke's origin counts as identity politics and fed into the American "rural vs. city" cultural battle, right? Or Leia's badassery was in direct parallel to women's liberation?

I won't defend the sequel trilogy as being particularly grand or filled with superior ideas, but you're going to have to make a better argument than "women were given more prominent roles," especially when Rey isn't any more OP than Luke or Anakin were.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:20 pm
Posts: 5153
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:34 am 
 

Amusingly enough I think the sequel trilogy is objectively better than the prequels in at least one way: episode 2 and 3 were filmed with hideous early tech digital cameras and designed for 3D before they had properly figured it out; the pictures are flat, dull and dreary to look at. All the sequel films are shot on 35mm with gorgeous, vibrant colors. So while you can prefer the washed out images of the prequel trilogy (I have no idea why you would) by the standards of how IQ (image quality) is rated, the ST is objectively better, despite the PT having the budget and ability to be shot the same way as the ST.

QED motherfucker.

But of course, rating a movie based on how "woke" you think it's being (spoiler: it's not) is even more objective!
_________________
ambientsorrow wrote:
Pretty rubbish, I must say. Certainly not worth the hype behind it. Boring and predictable. A band for 14-22 year olds.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:15 am 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
You do know that Luke's origin counts as identity politics and fed into the American "rural vs. city" cultural battle, right? Or Leia's badassery was in direct parallel to women's liberation?

I won't defend the sequel trilogy as being particularly grand or filled with superior ideas, but you're going to have to make a better argument than "women were given more prominent roles," especially when Rey isn't any more OP than Luke or Anakin were.


No! There's absolutely no cultural battle what-so-ever. This is the aspirations of a farm-boy looking to the future, in the setting of twin suns. Then Disney, insultingly, ended their garbage with twin suns, with a nobody, being able to take on someone elses name. In the Rise of Palpatine, it's Ray who kills Palpy – not Anakin. Then that crap just steals a Skywalker name. There's no Skywalker's left – they're dead and a Palpatine wins. The Lucas brand is so cursed, now.


In-movie part about 'rural vs city' politics; which part? Ain't in A New Hope. The story of rural kids searching for something, is in a million stories. Women got the vote in certain countries, decades before the '70s. Women had been a part of the movie industry for decades. Her arc is completely different to Rey, who flies the Falcon, better than solo; who had no force power, 'till the plot decides she can do anything. Then she's a better pilot than Poe. Then she beats Luke in combat. Then she's lifting bolders and levitating. Then she's force healing. Then she has a 'feeling.' This is shit writing because these Disney hacks could'nt put in the effort. They're driven by identity politics and wrote shit.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:21 am 
 

darkeningday wrote:
Amusingly enough I think the sequel trilogy is objectively better than the prequels in at least one way: episode 2 and 3 were filmed with hideous early tech digital cameras and designed for 3D before they had properly figured it out; the pictures are flat, dull and dreary to look at. All the sequel films are shot on 35mm with gorgeous, vibrant colors. So while you can prefer the washed out images of the prequel trilogy (I have no idea why you would) by the standards of how IQ (image quality) is rated, the ST is objectively better, despite the PT having the budget and ability to be shot the same way as the ST.

QED motherfucker.

But of course, rating a movie based on how "woke" you think it's being (spoiler: it's not) is even more objective!


And you would be correct. TLJ is beautiful looking. Rogue One is better, but that's because the Star Destroyers are real models, I think. Rogue One is actually a pretty respectable movie; not like Solo. How solo got his name means that there must be a million other Solo's out there. And that fucking 'droid rights' robot. It's a farce.
Anyway, that's aesthetics. The music is good. Its shoot nicely. The rest of the ST is rancid.


Last edited by Metal_Warspite on Sat May 23, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8719
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:24 am 
 

darkeningday wrote:
Amusingly enough I think the sequel trilogy is objectively better than the prequels in at least one way: episode 2 and 3 were filmed with hideous early tech digital cameras and designed for 3D before they had properly figured it out; the pictures are flat, dull and dreary to look at. All the sequel films are shot on 35mm with gorgeous, vibrant colors. So while you can prefer the washed out images of the prequel trilogy (I have no idea why you would) by the standards of how IQ (image quality) is rated, the ST is objectively better, despite the PT having the budget and ability to be shot the same way as the ST.


Also, the CGI in the prequels is both rendered and composited terribly. It all looks like an early PS2 cutscene, and none of the live actors fit in with the surroundings at all. Just look at the Order 66 scene from Revenge of the Sith with Obi-Wan riding whatever that alien rhino creature is called before getting attacked by clone troopers. You can see the fuzziness around him from where the edges of the blue screen were when they shot him by himself before adding in all the CGI around him. There are TONS of instances of shitty compositing throughout the three movies. That's just the most egregious example I can think of right now.

And yeah, I didn't even bother to read that guy's rambling about the sequels having WOKE SJW stuff in them. Like, what even do these incels constitute as being the woke SJW politics that "ruined" Star Wars? The fact that Rey's a girl? The fact that one of the main side characters in The Last Jedi is an Asian woman? I really don't get it. Are they really that wrapped up in their toxic masculinity that any depiction of a woman that's more than a bit part is now ruinous to an entire franchise?

People who let the sand in their vagina itch that much are the same people that got violently pissed when Bill Nye said on his Netflix show that gender is a spectrum.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:36 am 
 

Subrick wrote:
And yeah, I didn't even bother to read that guy's rambling about the sequels having WOKE SJW stuff in them. Like, what even do these incels constitute as being the woke SJW politics that "ruined" Star Wars? The fact that Rey's a girl? The fact that one of the main side characters in The Last Jedi is an Asian woman? I really don't get it. Are they really that wrapped up in their toxic masculinity that any depiction of a woman that's more than a bit part is now ruinous to an entire franchise?

People who let the sand in their vagina itch that much are the same people that got violently pissed when Bill Nye said on his Netflix show that gender is a spectrum.


Hooray! We got one! Buddy, you're rude and dismissive. You've just tried to insult. And, you're strawmanning! Is that your masculinity, or lack of?

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1581
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:59 am 
 

"There's no cultural battle"
Right...so it's just happenstance that the farm boy attuned to an outdated religion is able to destroy the technologically superior force in a story written by an American that took heavy cues from similar themes of Japanese cinema...because he didn't outright say it? Subtext is a thing, and given how George Lucas has even said he based the idea on his own perceptions regarding Vietnam and the second Nixon administration, your argument of the OT being apolitical is bunk.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... utType=amp

And if your argument about Leia not being inspired by the American women's lib movements of the 60s/70s, the time when Lucas came of age and wrote the saga, is because people in other countries were doing other things...pal, I think you need to reassess some of your positions in a context beyond your own personal views. Like what you like, whatever, but if your argument falls apart with just the most rote of critical thinking? You deserve to eat the condescension. You've brought a water pistol to a tank battle.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:07 pm 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
"There's no cultural battle"
Right...so it's just happenstance that the farm boy attuned to an outdated religion is able to destroy the technologically superior force in a story written by an American that took heavy cues from similar themes of Japanese cinema...because he didn't outright say it? Subtext is a thing, and given how George Lucas has even said he based the idea on his own perceptions regarding Vietnam and the second Nixon administration, your argument of the OT being apolitical is bunk.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... utType=amp

And if your argument about Leia not being inspired by the American women's lib movements of the 60s/70s, the time when Lucas came of age and wrote the saga, is because people in other countries were doing other things...pal, I think you need to reassess some of your positions in a context beyond your own personal views. Like what you like, whatever, but if your argument falls apart with just the most rote of critical thinking? You deserve to eat the condescension. You've brought a water pistol to a tank battle.


Now try your own ideas.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8719
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:12 pm 
 

You know, handwaving away a dissenting point of view doesn't actually make you any less incorrect than you currently are.
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1581
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:21 pm 
 

>regurgitate generic incel opinions
>tell others to form own ideas

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:32 pm 
 

You got one saying "rural.vs City". Another, saying an outdated religion destroyed.

What garbage! A religion didn't destroy the enemy; a fleet destroyed the enemy. How bad is this. Have you seen RoTJ? lol It's a rebel fleet and force who destroy the enemy, and that rebel fleet and miltary ground force, did most of the work, with some teddy bears.

What has this got to do with poor writing in the sequels and the prequels being vastly superior to that Disney abomination?

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:36 pm 
 

acid_bukkake wrote:
>regurgitate generic incel opinions
>tell others to form own ideas

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft


You're also making insulting reference about my... ? I had to look the word up.

the strawmanning is the worst part in all of this: pointing out that Ray, Rose and Holdo, are awfully written characters , doesn't make one... well, whatever your defensive line is, right now.

What Rose's racial background has to do with it, I don't know, either. You explain.


Last edited by Metal_Warspite on Sat May 23, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1581
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:47 pm 
 

bUt ThE sTrAwMaNnInG
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:48 pm 
 

I'm just going to add, the WOKE, SJW projects in Hollywood, are bombing. Looks like Batwoman might get cancelled. That's appalling writing, as well.

Top
 Profile  
Subrick
Metal freak

Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 pm
Posts: 8719
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:53 pm 
 

Once again, what is your idea of woke SJW politics? Does the idea of a strong female lead really make you so insecure that you root for the failure of projects that have one?
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
I'm just perpetually annoyed by Sean William Scott and he's never been in a movie where I wasn't rooting for his head to sever by strange means.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10044
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:58 pm 
 

Metal_Warspite wrote:
I'm just going to add, the WOKE, SJW projects in Hollywood, are bombing. Looks like Batwoman might get cancelled. That's appalling writing, as well.

Which one are you in Gary's Facebook group?
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:04 pm 
 

Subrick wrote:
Once again, what is your idea of woke SJW politics? Does the idea of a strong female lead really make you so insecure that you root for the failure of projects that have one?



Yeah, bad writing, bad writing and more bad writing! What are you talking about, buddy?
Terminator just bombed! Charlie's Angels and Ghostbusters, bombed! Batwoman is bombing! Joker didn't!

Bad writing, buddy. You're comments are weird.

Top
 Profile  
Metal_Warspite
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am
Posts: 64
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:05 pm 
 

droneriot wrote:
Metal_Warspite wrote:
I'm just going to add, the WOKE, SJW projects in Hollywood, are bombing. Looks like Batwoman might get cancelled. That's appalling writing, as well.

Which one are you in Gary's Facebook group?


I don't get the reference.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1581
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:08 pm 
 

The "woke" projects aren't failing. For as shit as it was, Captain Marvel made a billion dollars, the HBO drama Atlanta is one of the better received originals the network has put out in years (and still going), Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse literally made $375 million at the box office before taking home an Oscar (all while being about a POC)...it's the shyte corporate pandering garbage that's failing.

bUt MaH sTrAwMaN

Also, I fucking hate the GB remake, but it practically doubled its budget. That is, by definition, not a bomb.

See: water pistol vs. tank
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10044
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:09 pm 
 

Terminator bombed because people were sick and tired of the reboot attempts, Chalie's Angels bombed because who the hell even remembers Charlie's Angels in 2020? Ghostbusters bombed because it just sucked, same as Batwoman. Dark Phoenix bombed because nothing about the movie fit together in any way, MiB International bombed because people liked MiB for Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones and their replacements did a poor job and being worthy replacements. Disney Star Wars had massively diminishing returns because it added nothing interesting to the story at any point in the trilogy or the anthology movies. Fake Trek bombed because they changed showrunners every other week and had no idea what they were doing, Doctor Who bombed because they had absolutely no story ideas left in them. None of them were disliked for politics but for far more obvious reasons. On the other hand the Watchmen series that the likes of you dub "Wokemen" was a huge success.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 27671
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 pm 
 

Joker should've bombed. That shit was awful. I wasn't a fan of either the new Ghostbusters or Terminator, they were both safe dull Hollywood generica, but that's still better than faux-edgy garbage like Joker.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: Friend Request


Last edited by Empyreal on Sat May 23, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10044
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:15 pm 
 

On a sidenote, The Last Jedi sucked because it had less plot than a Seinfeld episode, but the actually woke people were disappointed there was no relationship between Holdo and Poe because Hollywood doesn't have the guts for an older woman/younger man relationship because it might offend socially conservative viewers.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6659
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:17 pm 
 

And let's not forget that Joker--a movie he brought up as a positive example of "non-wokeness"--is a nakedly left-wing film about the damage capitalism and class stratification has done to society's downtrodden and how it, inevitably, pushes people to fight back against it by any means possible. It's still a pretty dumb movie that only has one idea and explores it as shallowly as possible, but it's still totally woke, bruh.

Oh, and then there's the whole "Woke Captain Marvel vs. Based Alita Battle Angel" thing that happened last year, even though Captain Marvel is an aggressively centrist status quo-humping worship-the-military handjob that contains zero wokeness and is miserably boring, while Alita Battle Angel, once again, is a scathing indictment of class stratification and features a story about identity and overturning the status quo and is super 100% woke, and it also happens to be a fantastic movie.
_________________
I used to write anime reviews! Now I'm just languishing away doing nothing!
Nothing I do matters! Existence is a lie! Thanksgiving is about killing Indians!

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 10044
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:21 pm 
 

Joker is a movie about a downtrodden proletarian rising up against a detached elistist burgoise yes.

Captain Marvel was just terrible, but it's the MCU, so it's an episode of a series more than a movie. People tune in because an episode of their favourite show is playing.
_________________
Why modern black metal objectively sucks
Deutschpunk - Why German Punk Rock Is... Different - [A Zero Budget Documentary]
- (droneriot drinks and rants...)

https://www.last.fm/user/oldmetalthrone

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 760, 761, 762, 763, 764, 765  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group