Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:25 am 

https://www.nme.com/news/music/deftones ... no-2734234

'Deftones have released the first single and title track from their long-awaited new album ‘Ohms’.'

''Details of the Sacremento alt-metal band’s ninth album emerged yesterday, having teased fans with mysterious social media posts and billboards in the US. Now we know that ‘Ohms’, the follow-up to 2016’s ‘Gore’, will arrive on September 25. The record was produced by Terry Date, who previously worked with the band on their classic albums ‘Around The Fur’, ‘White Pony’ and self-titled, as well as the unreleased ‘Eros’ which saw sessions pulled following a car crash involving bassist Chi Cheng.'

Cover art:

Spoiler: show

Tracklist:

Spoiler: show
'Genesis' 5:17
'Ceremony' 3:27
'Urantia' 4:30
'Errorr' 4:50
'The Spell of Mathematics' 5:27
'Pompeji' 5:25
'This Link Is Dead' 4:37
'Radiant City' 3:35
'Headless' 4:59
'Ohms' 4:10

This album has been hinted towards for a while and it's finally here! Deftones are certainly a personal favourite band of mine; I love just about everything they've ever released, and if this new song reflects the quality of the rest of the album, they'll have another winner on their hands. I do like that the main riff to this song is a fair bit busier and choppier than much of what they've done in the past, the chorus is great, and the drumming is some of the best of any Deftones track; it all comes together into a harmonious, euphoric whole. Re-uniting with Terry Date after over a decade seems to have done wonders for their sound too; everything is mixed well and it all sounds great (the drums and guitars in particular, I love the way that the guitars sound so bold and cut through the mix like that.) It also appears based on the stated tracklist that this will be the closer to the album; if so it's certainly the most succinct and energetic closer to any Deftones album to date as usually they reserve a more drawn out and/or reflective song for the finale. Shame we have to wait a month for the whole thing though.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Napalm_Satan on Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:47 pm 

Can't wait! I too really enjoy their work, and the new song is no exception. Chino still delivering one hell of a vocal performance there :hyper:

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:02 pm 

I am very much looking forward to this. I believe they have their own unique style, despite most people labeling them Nu Metal. I absolutely will be a first day buyer.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:32 pm 

If nu metal is all about taking a diverse array of influences and blending them together with heavy, distorted riffing to create something entirely new and distinct, then Deftones do so whilst blending a lot of influences that not a lot of their contemporaries do - post-hardcore, noise rock, shoegaze, trip hop, alt rock, space rock, post-metal etc. - and such they reside on their own stylistic island in the genre.

And yeah, Chino's vocals are still very strong here, both during the hook and the verses.

plagueofangels
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:43 pm 

Finally!! They've been talking about this for months, this makes my week. Holy shit the visuals are outstanding. Cyberpunk Deftones??

Not sure on this track though. Chino still has it, but the song.. it's pretty lackluster to be fair. They just strum along in their comfort zone which was the big mistake they did in Gore which should have been called Bore, because it was so fucking boring.

Definitely picking up a copy as I love Deftones but please break some boundaries this time, I wanna hear self-titled LP style Deftones again not another Bore.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:31 pm 

Hmm, I don't know. This song does reside in that specific sound for them, yes, but I think it still sounds pretty distinct from much of what came before it. I can't think of a previous album this track would really fit on, truly and honestly. *Maybe* the self-titled if anything, but even then that's a stretch. I also think Gore was them trying something new too; again, it sounds pretty distinct to basically everything they'd done prior while still operating in a somewhat similar stylistic realm and having that identity that every Deftones album has.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:54 am 

Pretty good song. One of the riffs reminds me of something else but I can't think what. These guys never put out a bad album, and I expect this will be no different.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:59 am 

New song is great and the video is even better. Really looking forward to this.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:52 pm 

That sounded so early 2000s. It was nice but put me up for preferring their darker / atmospheric side. I don't doubt this'll have some of that since they cover so many genres and pack them in well. They're not going to break their streak now since they've been on a roll for over a decade.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:22 pm 

Yeah the band typically have a mix across each album, the whole thing won't be like that song.

Also interesting you say that; Deftones are one of the few bands of their era that don't sound dated to the late '90s or early '00s to my ears, the reason for that being that no band of the time sported a sound like theirs so it's not one I really attach to the time period it came out of. I also can't think of any second/third/tenth string bands that really latched onto and imitated their sound like numerous bands did with Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, etc.

To my mind, 'Back to School' is the one song of theirs that truly sounds dated, and all because they totally abdicated the style they were known for in favour of a really trendy rap rock sound that was stale just a few years later.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:48 pm 

Don't get me wrong, what I said had a bit of endearment to it. The song reminded me of old Muse, Thrice, and Cave In (on Antenna). Something about the alternative-isms put me in that mind frame. I'm not talking nu-metal cause those moments are few and far between and is one of the least things this band should be labeled as.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:22 pm 

Aaaah gotcha, that makes a bit more sense. And yeah, the nu metal label was more a 'wrong place, wrong time' sort of thing, though I do see many people affix the 'alternative metal' label onto them which is arguably even more vague but is still a better fit for them.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:19 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Yeah the band typically have a mix across each album, the whole thing won't be like that song.

Also interesting you say that; Deftones are one of the few bands of their era that don't sound dated to the late '90s or early '00s to my ears, the reason for that being that no band of the time sported a sound like theirs so it's not one I really attach to the time period it came out of. I also can't think of any second/third/tenth string bands that really latched onto and imitated their sound like numerous bands did with Korn, Limp Bizkit, Slipknot, etc.

To my mind, 'Back to School' is the one song of theirs that truly sounds dated, and all because they totally abdicated the style they were known for in favour of a really trendy rap rock sound that was stale just a few years later.

The new Loathe album is Deftones worship and it's great.

last_eulogy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:46 pm 

I hope it has one of those songs where the singer whispers, then he screams.

TheLoneForest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:32 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:

Wrong, song goes hard af

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:16 pm 

I'd rather not rant about that song (if Deftones were ever on the archives for whatever reason I'd save it for a review, hehe); I'll just say it's artistically bankrupt in every sense of the word and it's not even entertaining for the most part.

I've sampled a few tracks from that Loathe album and yeah, that's a curious blend. They've basically taken a more modern metalcore formula and tempered it at points with those smooth sections that are very much Deftones worship. Not bad.

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:03 pm 

I honestly dig the song. Interested to hear the rest of the album.

Check out my reviews

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:34 pm 

Deftones is without a doubt one of my all time favorite bands. I dig the new track a lot, it doesn’t blow me away, though I always appreciate their singles more in the context of the album as a whole, so I’m sure it’ll grow on me. Deftones is one of the most consistent bands out there and I trust them more than nearly every band out there to deliver quality stuff. Strange for them to release the closer track first, but I guess it’s a trend I’ve seen with a lot of bands recently. I genuinely love every album they’ve released maybe with the exception of Adrenaline. I particularly love the stretch of albums from White Pony to Koi No Yokan, and I’ve really appreciate the trajectory the band has been on since Saturday Night Wrist onwards. Gore was a bit of a step back, but it still had some songs I really liked like Acid Hologram and Hearts/Wires. I’m positive I’ll enjoy the new album as I do every Deftones release. Without getting too ahead of myself, I’ve got a gut feeling that this new album is going to be something special from them. They seem to get a reinvigorated spirit at the turn of every new decade (case in point White Pony in 2000 and Diamond Eyes in 2010)

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:11 am 

TheLoneForest wrote:
Napalm_Satan wrote:

Wrong, song goes hard af

I agree that Back to School is very awkward. It showcases exactly why Deftones aren't like the other nu-metal bands, and shouldn't try to be. Their sound, by White Pony, is too deeply brooding and emotionally delicate to be appropriated into cheap jumpdafukup shit. Pink Maggit is how they do that song right.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:25 am 

People seem to forget Back to School isn't a real song, just a decontextualised fragment of Pink Maggit with a rap part added. Their label obviously made them do it and the band has always regretted it.

Moreno stated in an interview with German rock magazine Visions:

Quote:
"'Back to School' was a mistake. A calculated song, that had been built up with only one aim in mind: It should be a single. ... 'Back to School' was released because I was an idiot. I wanted to prove something [to the record company]. Months later, after White Pony was released, they wanted us to do a new version of "Pink Maggit". They said we lost our heaviness, and there were no more singles on the album. First, I wanted to stick this idea up my ass, but then I thought: 'I'm gonna show those fuckers how easy it is to create a hit-single.' And so I rapped a hip hop part on that song, we shortened it and half an hour later, the hit-single was ready to roll on."

White Pony starts with Feiticeira.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:22 am 

Yes to all of that, those are all reasons I dislike the song so much. Bad on its own, worse with context applied, and now a permanent stain on what is otherwise a perfect album it has no business being on.

Since someone brought Gore up earlier, I am glad this song is better mixed and less compressed than that album was, as said production issues did hold it back just a bit.

Slater922
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:14 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
People seem to forget Back to School isn't a real song, just a decontextualised fragment of Pink Maggit with a rap part added. Their label obviously made them do it and the band has always regretted it.

Moreno stated in an interview with German rock magazine Visions:

Quote:
"'Back to School' was a mistake. A calculated song, that had been built up with only one aim in mind: It should be a single. ... 'Back to School' was released because I was an idiot. I wanted to prove something [to the record company]. Months later, after White Pony was released, they wanted us to do a new version of "Pink Maggit". They said we lost our heaviness, and there were no more singles on the album. First, I wanted to stick this idea up my ass, but then I thought: 'I'm gonna show those fuckers how easy it is to create a hit-single.' And so I rapped a hip hop part on that song, we shortened it and half an hour later, the hit-single was ready to roll on."

White Pony starts with Feiticeira.

I mean, I prefer the full Pink Maggit version, since the Back to School version omits the intro and outro and isn't as jumpdafuckup.

Check out my reviews

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:11 pm 

Yes, the best thing about 'Back to School' are the bits lifted from the original song, and even they don't sound quite right compared to the original as the vocal melodies were altered.

Wikipedia has been updated with track lengths for all of the other songs, but I can't find any source confirming them.

Gravetemplar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:45 am 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Yes, the best thing about 'Back to School' are the bits lifted from the original song, and even they don't sound quite right compared to the original as the vocal melodies were altered.

Wikipedia has been updated with track lengths for all of the other songs, but I can't find any source confirming them.

Qobuz.

https://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/ohms- ... 11gh7itf3a

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:53 pm 

Thank you; edited the OP.

Sathanas_BM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:03 pm 

So apparently the word on the street is that Genesis, the album opener, is going to be the next single. Apparently it’s a heavy one.

thepoopsmithmaster wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Are you that dense?
Define dense.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:15 am 

I've enjoyed this band's entire body of work for years. I like the single and I am looking forward to the full album. Deftones are consistent with that quality.
Their reviews of Darkthrone records are great reads, I just can't help feeling they were written in a (very expensive organo-vegan-ist) coffee shop, on a Linux hack job with stickers on, while trying to catch the eye of the girl with dungarees and glasses sitting in the corner.

CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:37 pm 

I feel like I’m about to go on a Deftones binge.

I have now reached the right frame of mind for them.

I’ve always liked them, but for some reason after I finish my binge I forget about them/don’t want to hear about them till the next binge which is probably five years later.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 pm 

I absolutely love Deftones. Not a huge fan of the single. And as for Back to School goes, Pink Maggit obviously works much better as a song in the context of the album, but Back to School is a fun bit of nu metal, so I enjoy it for what it is: a different look at a song they already wrote for the album. Saturday Night Wrist will probably always be my favourite album, but of course White Pony is a classic and has some of their best songs and Diamond Eyes is probably my favourite "new" (as in, came out after I graduated high school :lol:) Deftones album, at this point already a decade old... Jesus Christ.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:13 pm 

Sathanas_BM wrote:
So apparently the word on the street is that Genesis, the album opener, is going to be the next single. Apparently it’s a heavy one.

You were correct about that being the next single, this Instagram post from the band says it'll be out on the 18th.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:26 am 

And here it is!

And indeed, it is a much heavier song than the title track. I would say as far as their openers go it's probably the heaviest they've ever written, 'Hexagram' aside, and I love that huge crushing groove they work into the verses. The vocals are as strong as I'd expect, including the screamed verses and a cleanly sung hook that pops much like basically any hook they've written. The whole song flows so smoothly on top of that groove too, it's effortless and slick in its delivery and I love that. Of course Terry Date's production is still doing wonders for the band's sound, the whole arrangement sounds great here, the guitar textures especially. I didn't expect the song to mellow out half way through and then carry on like that right until the end, I thought it would be heavy the whole way through with maybe a short contrasting bridge, and it was a nice touch to do what they did here instead. This is a great track and my hopes are still high for the album, which is coming in a week!

Oh and I think this song coming out after Gore shows that they are entirely capable of bringing the heaviness; certainly, opening your following album with a bang this big is a good way to signal that.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:10 am 

utterly baffled at the emotionally gripping 'Genesis'..
it's so good

Reply to topic