Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5794
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:41 pm 
 

Has anyone fucked with the new Blasphemous DLC? I downloaded it last night and started NG+ and the changes are pretty immediate. Gotta say it isn't what I was expecting though, which I guess was a more typical DLC, y'know, big new area with some new bosses. What they've done is pretty much revamp a lot of the existing areas, add new npcs, collectibles, and bosses throughout the main game. Seems cool but I'm also a little bummed since I dunno if I want to play through the whole game again just to clear the new DLC content.

Top
 Profile  
Inkshooter
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:55 pm
Posts: 608
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:35 pm 
 

Crusader Kings III is out! And it's awesome!

There's a ton of stuff to do while you're not at war, the character models are gorgeous, and schemes are finally interesting.
_________________
Hello, there!

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10551
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:38 pm 
 

Inkshooter wrote:
Crusader Kings III is out! And it's awesome!

There's a ton of stuff to do while you're not at war, the character models are gorgeous, and schemes are finally interesting.

I take it they learned from their mistakes after Imperator Rome last year. Been waiting for this for years and knowing Paradox I'll be waiting a bit longer. Their track record with DLC is horrible. A good game at launch? Cool, but a good Paradox game needs to be fleshed out cause we all know it isn't at launch.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
Inkshooter
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:55 pm
Posts: 608
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:54 pm 
 

I dunno, what's already there is damn close to CK2 with all DLC. Way of Life's interpersonal mechanics are built in, as well as an even more fleshed-out version of the religious reformation mechanic from Holy Fury, and you can play as Muslims and Pagans from the start, so no DLC is required for that, either.

The fact that DLC will add even more features than what's already there is exciting, it doesn't feel like it's finishing an incomplete game.
_________________
Hello, there!

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 285
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:31 am 
 

So I finally decided to buy the Avengers game. I had mixed feelings about the beta/demo, the bridge mission didn't feel cohesive and having to learn five characters in short succession wasn't as cool.

I haven't had time to play much of the full game, like maybe 20 minutes, but already it feels better. The bridge isn't the actual first mission.Very minor spoilers for the first 20-30 minutes ahead.
Spoiler: show
You basically play as a not-yet super Kamala Khan who is just a huge Avengers fan, meeting randomly multiple Avengers at the event. I guess the bridge mission comes after that, but the presentation is good, the dialogue itself is a bit cringy at times, but overall the execution feels better than other GAAS. So far it feels like a single player game. It helps that Kamala is my favorite non-classic Marvel character. And I'm starting to get used to "Not Chris Evans", "Not Scarlet Johansson", "Not Robert Downey Junior", etc. I still feel like Cap is the blandest of the bunch, but they really improved Black Widow's model (in particular) compared to the first showing.

All in all, I don't think it's going to be GOTY, but hopefully it's going to keep me busy until Cyberpunk, at least.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 778
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:25 am 
 

I blew $60 on the Avengers game, also. There’s just no way I was gonna avoid it.

at least I can sleep at night knowing I didn’t pay the extra money to play it three days in advance. That’s some kind of small, possibly victory for me.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 285
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:50 pm 
 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I blew $60 on the Avengers game, also. There’s just no way I was gonna avoid it.

at least I can sleep at night knowing I didn’t pay the extra money to play it three days in advance. That’s some kind of small, possibly victory for me.


At least it wasn't JUST for that, there was a few other digital thingies, the usual... nameplates, emotes, shit like that. Not that I think it justifies the extra money, but this is the kind of things other games do also, looks like most games nowadays have to have multiple editions with (IMO often worthless) additional goodies.

Top
 Profile  
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:23 pm
Posts: 331
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:30 pm 
 

SatanicPotato wrote:
i am really late to the party but i just completed doom eternal and enjoyed it so much, which is weird because i didnt really have much fun with 2016

It's the opposite for me. I hate Doom Eternal because of its bloated feel and the fact that I wasn't able to carry my skills from 2016 over to the new game because of the excess bells and whistles on the combat (it also could be that every enemy does three times as much damage). If I played the game more, I suppose I'd get used to the combat but I played through it twice and then was done. I haven't touched it since.

But I do plan on playing the new DLC that is coming out for Eternal. It'll be interesting to see if they resoooooolve (Samuel Hayden voice) any of the loose ends from 2016 Doom that Eternal didn't tie up, or fix some of the plot holes that Eternal introduced.

Except for the connection to the original Doom games. That is something they cannot fix.

It's a pity that Mick Gordon won't be doing the score - geez, the drama about the Eternal soundtrack made my head hurt. I mean, what did you expect? You saw how long it took the fully remixed and mastered soundtrack to get released after 2016 Doom, so how could the Eternal soundtrack possibly get finished a month after the game's release? I guess we won't be getting any more Doom stuff from Mick, but Andrew Hulshult's score from the trailer sounds pretty good. It'll be interesting to see where he takes modern Doom music.
_________________
BastardHead wrote:
Nice to See Your Name In Red sounds like a mid 2000s screamo band.

Top
 Profile  
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:52 pm
Posts: 2157
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:16 am 
 

kingdoms of amalur tomorrow

Top
 Profile  
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:52 pm
Posts: 2157
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:18 am 
 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:
i am really late to the party but i just completed doom eternal and enjoyed it so much, which is weird because i didnt really have much fun with 2016

It's the opposite for me. I hate Doom Eternal because of its bloated feel and the fact that I wasn't able to carry my skills from 2016 over to the new game because of the excess bells and whistles on the combat (it also could be that every enemy does three times as much damage). If I played the game more, I suppose I'd get used to the combat but I played through it twice and then was done. I haven't touched it since.

But I do plan on playing the new DLC that is coming out for Eternal. It'll be interesting to see if they resoooooolve (Samuel Hayden voice) any of the loose ends from 2016 Doom that Eternal didn't tie up, or fix some of the plot holes that Eternal introduced.

Except for the connection to the original Doom games. That is something they cannot fix.

It's a pity that Mick Gordon won't be doing the score - geez, the drama about the Eternal soundtrack made my head hurt. I mean, what did you expect? You saw how long it took the fully remixed and mastered soundtrack to get released after 2016 Doom, so how could the Eternal soundtrack possibly get finished a month after the game's release? I guess we won't be getting any more Doom stuff from Mick, but Andrew Hulshult's score from the trailer sounds pretty good. It'll be interesting to see where he takes modern Doom music.

i know what you mean sometimes i just stand there forgetting what button to press and then just die because of how many different things there are to do, i dunno i found 2016 more difficult and enjoyed it less but i dunno everyone else says eternal is far more difficult so i dont know, looking forward to the dlc but shame about mick, would love him to continue producing metal(even if it was just bring me the horizon)

Top
 Profile  
Methuen
Metalhead

Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 4:55 pm
Posts: 838
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:03 am 
 

Inkshooter wrote:
I dunno, what's already there is damn close to CK2 with all DLC. Way of Life's interpersonal mechanics are built in, as well as an even more fleshed-out version of the religious reformation mechanic from Holy Fury, and you can play as Muslims and Pagans from the start, so no DLC is required for that, either.

The fact that DLC will add even more features than what's already there is exciting, it doesn't feel like it's finishing an incomplete game.


Good to know; the more I play it, the more the underlying flaws of EUIV are quite grating - it'd be good to play on a more modern version of the engine. Still not paying £60 for it, given that it's digital only, and will have a tonne of DLC - will get there eventually :lol:
_________________
Methuen at Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
OzzyApu
Metal freak

Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:11 am
Posts: 10551
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:23 pm 
 

Methuen wrote:
Inkshooter wrote:
I dunno, what's already there is damn close to CK2 with all DLC. Way of Life's interpersonal mechanics are built in, as well as an even more fleshed-out version of the religious reformation mechanic from Holy Fury, and you can play as Muslims and Pagans from the start, so no DLC is required for that, either.

The fact that DLC will add even more features than what's already there is exciting, it doesn't feel like it's finishing an incomplete game.


Good to know; the more I play it, the more the underlying flaws of EUIV are quite grating - it'd be good to play on a more modern version of the engine. Still not paying £60 for it, given that it's digital only, and will have a tonne of DLC - will get there eventually :lol:

You know what, after I criticized Paradox above I went ahead and purchased the game. I felt so confused and overwhelmed since I never played a CK game but after about a day I started getting the hang of it. Started out in the tutorial, almost took over the whole of Ireland before having internal and external war at the same time and quitting.

Then I looked for a place where I could chill and learn how to run a faction, which landed me at the Tulunids in Egypt. And that's where I started to become addicted similar to what happened in HoI4. Learning to love the game through its intricacies and roleplaying aspect. So Inkshooter was right, if this launch state is about what CK2 was after most of its DLC over all those years then I'd like to see what support Paradox will give this. Not to mention the community who roll out mods with lightning speed. It seems the response from fans was pretty good.
_________________
gomorro wrote:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Top
 Profile  
ThePoop
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:38 pm
Posts: 914
Location: New Hampshire, United States
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:37 am 
 

SatanicPotato wrote:
kingdoms of amalur tomorrow

Gonna purchase this since I missed the game when it came out, but these sort of western action-RPGs are what I primarily play if I'm going to start a videogame. Always heard good things about this game and it sounds right up my alley, so I'll give the remaster a shot.

Absolutely HOOKED on Outer Wilds right now. Anyone else play this? One of the most beautiful gaming experiences I've had in awhile and slowly uncovering and discovering the mysteries of the solar system is incredibly rewarding. Never played a game quite like it. Serene and beautiful, yet brimming with moments of existential terror. All parts touching, sad, funny and wonderous. I'm glad I started it.
_________________
My favorite Carcass album is Swansong.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 6751
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:17 pm 
 

ThePoop wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:
kingdoms of amalur tomorrow

Gonna purchase this since I missed the game when it came out, but these sort of western action-RPGs are what I primarily play if I'm going to start a videogame. Always heard good things about this game and it sounds right up my alley, so I'll give the remaster a shot.

The story is a bit...exists, but the gameplay for sure is a lot of fun.
_________________
The anime reviews are comin' back, baby! Keep your eyes peeled! Or not! I'm not your mom!
The latest review is for: Mob Psycho 100 II!
Coming Up Next:
Fruits Basket (2019)
After That: Sound! Euphonium: Our Promise ~A Brand New Day~ and Chihayafuru 3

Top
 Profile  
Tekdeth
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:32 pm
Posts: 236
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:48 am 
 

So apparently Forza Horizon 5 will be released near the end of this year yet I've barely heard or seen anything about it. There's an extremely vague official trailer with only around 1 million views which is pretty much nothing when it comes to Forza. Dunno what's going on, pretty strange.

Anyways, I love Forza Horizon 4 and I've played it to death so I'll probably be pre-ordering 5.
_________________
My YouTube channel where I upload obscure albums
Current favourite song: Allegaeon - Extremophiles (A)

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 1587
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:17 am 
 

ThePoop wrote:
Absolutely HOOKED on Outer Wilds right now. Anyone else play this? One of the most beautiful gaming experiences I've had in awhile and slowly uncovering and discovering the mysteries of the solar system is incredibly rewarding. Never played a game quite like it. Serene and beautiful, yet brimming with moments of existential terror. All parts touching, sad, funny and wonderous. I'm glad I started it.

I really want to play that one but I haven't been able to find the right moment. Glad to know it lives up to the expectations.

Top
 Profile  
Avocat
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:25 am
Posts: 44
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:17 pm 
 

Is the tutorial for CK3 actually any good? That was the main barrier I couldn't cross for CK2, and I didn't want to watch hours of Youtube videos to learn how to play the game.

Top
 Profile  
Adriankat
Veteran

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:54 pm
Posts: 2765
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:09 pm 
 

Haven't touched the tutorial, but a friend with no grand strategy experience was able to learn the basics pretty quickly through the tutorial. As for the game itself, it does a pretty stellar job at reminding you of certain mechanics and laws as needed and also has a pretty robust tooltip system. If you're gonna jump into the game, it's best to see the game as an RPG/story generator with a strategy interface. The actual gameplay mechanics aren't too complex or intricate, it's all the laws and relationships between the characters that can make it somewhat of a clusterfuck.

Top
 Profile  
Inkshooter
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:55 pm
Posts: 608
Location: Seattle
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:13 pm 
 

Avocat wrote:
Is the tutorial for CK3 actually any good? That was the main barrier I couldn't cross for CK2, and I didn't want to watch hours of Youtube videos to learn how to play the game.


It's much better than the CK2 tutorial. One helpful additional feature is that all the tooltips have key terms highlighted in blue, so when you mouse over them you can have basically every function in the game explained to you, and if anything in the explanation is confusing you can get an explanation for something in the explanation.

But the learning curve will probably still be pretty steep, I found learning easy because I already had hundreds of hours in CK2, and the core gameplay is similar enough that learning the new systems wasn't too challenging.
_________________
Hello, there!

Top
 Profile  
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Posts: 4527
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:04 pm 
 

So Wasteland 3 is awesome. Best CRPG I've played in a while (well, since Disco Elysium but DE is only partially a true CRPG). Way better than 2 was, better than Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, wayyyyy better than Fallout 3 and 4. The dialogue/quest design/voice acting/etc is solid and the gameplay is really fun, kind of a mix of traditional isometric RPG and nu-XCOM.
_________________
and we are born
from the same womb
and hewn from
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Top
 Profile  
MeltedFace
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 am
Posts: 568
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:14 pm 
 

Microsoft blinked first when it came to releasing final details on the next console generation.

https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-ser ... -confirmed

Quote:
Microsoft has finally revealed the Xbox Series X price, release date and when pre-orders will go live - and analysts predictions were bang on the money.

The Xbox Series X will release on November 10 for $499 / £449 / AU$749, with pre-orders opening on September 22 for both the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series S. Those who wish to purchase the Series X through Microsoft's Xbox All Access programme can do so for $34.99 / £28.99 / AU$46 per month over 24 months - with no upfront cost. While the Xbox Series S, already confirmed to be $299 / £249.99 / AU$499, will be available on the Xbox All Access payment plan for $24.99 / £20.99 / AU$33 a month.

The long-awaited information was revealed by Xbox boss, Phil Spencer, on the official Xbox Series X website and comes just a day after the reveal of the Xbox Series S price and release date – also November 10. We already expected the Xbox Series X to launch in the first or second week of November, priced at around $499 in the US, so Microsoft's reveal hasn't come as a huge shocker. Considering how high-powered the new Xbox is - with the specs on par with a gaming PC - a $499 price tag is pretty reasonable. And, with Xbox All Access offering players the opportunity to pay for the new console in installments, the next-gen console should be a bit more accessible for those who don't have the money upfront.


However, now that Sony and Microsoft's game of chicken over price is finally over, the ball is now in Sony's court to reveal the PS5 price – likely in the coming weeks. We're not expecting it to come in less than the Series X, and certainly not cheaper than the Series S, but if we do see Sony's console coming in at it's predicted $499 (the same as the Xbox Series X) then it will even the playing field somewhat.


The Xbox All Access plan includes Game Pass Ultimate and EA Play so people who opt for the monthly payment option will have a huge catalog of games available without having to purchase any additional games. Yes, you own the console after completing your last payment. The math works out that it is actually slightly less expensive to do the monthly payment option than it would be to purchase the console, 2 years of Game Pass Ultimate/xCloud, and 2 years EA Play separately. You could essentially look at it as a 0% interest loan to buy the console.

I'm still on the fence about getting a new system at launch, I hate being a guinea pig for new hardware. I will say that paying $35/month (interest free) for a brand new console and a ton of games is quite an attractive offer as I already subscribe to Game Pass Ultimate. In reality though, I would never subscribe to EA Play without it being bundled in an offer like this, so I'd actually be paying more money over the course of 2 years than if I just bought the console and stayed with Game Pass Ultimate. The Series S being priced at $299 or $25/month has piqued the interest of some of my friends who weren't really interested in Xbox previously. There's a lot of good value to be had here, but the one thing Microsoft hasn't been able to compete with Sony in is the exclusives. It'll be interesting to see what Sony offers up in response.

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 285
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:20 pm 
 

That plan is interesting. Xbox seems really aggressive and wanting to take back the no 1 spot. I'm curious how Sony'll respond to all this. I hope they do something similar. I honestly don't see myself trading Horizon and God of War for Halo and Gears of War. But if the console is unreasonably priced, I might get an Xbox now and get the PS5 later.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 778
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:07 am 
 

I'll want a PS5 right out of the gate, but I'm assuming it will be way too hard to find one at first.

I won't make the mistake of buying all three consoles this time. The X-Bone was fine, but I used the PS4 more for whatever reason and the Switch was a complete waste of money. The amount of games worth playing on the Switch is pathetic.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5794
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:52 am 
 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I won't make the mistake of buying all three consoles this time. The X-Bone was fine, but I used the PS4 more for whatever reason and the Switch was a complete waste of money. The amount of games worth playing on the Switch is pathetic.


Switch can't compete with Sony in terms of first party games but I always prefer to get indies on the Switch - absolutely perfect system for this new wave of Metroidvanias and other sidescrollers. Plus, you know, Breath of the Wild. What I'm still most letdown by is the lack of a proper Virtual Console. Still a much better purchase than an Xbox One; never really understood why anybody would need one of those when the PS4 exists.

Top
 Profile  
l Lunaris l
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:14 pm
Posts: 72
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:50 pm 
 

Razakel wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
I won't make the mistake of buying all three consoles this time. The X-Bone was fine, but I used the PS4 more for whatever reason and the Switch was a complete waste of money. The amount of games worth playing on the Switch is pathetic.


Switch can't compete with Sony in terms of first party games but I always prefer to get indies on the Switch - absolutely perfect system for this new wave of Metroidvanias and other sidescrollers. Plus, you know, Breath of the Wild. What I'm still most letdown by is the lack of a proper Virtual Console. Still a much better purchase than an Xbox One; never really understood why anybody would need one of those when the PS4 exists.


Console you prefer really depends on what you're looking for, but the Switch and PlayStation are better by FAR in terms of exclusive first party titles. For me, I went with the Switch and I haven't regretted it at all. The thing about Nintendo systems is that you're pretty much only gonna buy them if you want to play the first party Nintendo games, so if you aren't a fan of those respective series and games, you won't find very much value there compared to the other consoles. The Switch was somewhat different in this regard, because it was portable, but it sacrificed a lot of power for that so mulitplatform games suffer on it. Portability does make it a good indie machine though.

And yeah, I gotta agree, Microsoft's offerings usually don't even cross my mind, pretty much the only exclusive I'd want to play is the Halo series and that just doesn't justify buying the system for me.

So yeah, I'll take the Switch and PS4 for those exclusives and JRPGs, thank you.
_________________
I don't have any witty jokes to put here

Top
 Profile  
Razakel
Nekroprince

Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm
Posts: 5794
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:39 pm 
 

l Lunaris l wrote:
And yeah, I gotta agree, Microsoft's offerings usually don't even cross my mind, pretty much the only exclusive I'd want to play is the Halo series and that just doesn't justify buying the system for me.


I dunno man, the first two Halo games were the shit back when I was in high school, but has the series really kept up over the years? I honestly can't say. The last one I played was Halo 3, which I thought was pretty crappy when it came out (hell, even Halo 2's campaign sucked but the online multiplayer was fun as hell), and just looking at the millions of spin-offs they've shat out over the years doesn't put a good taste in my mouth. Again, I'm a good decade behind on the series, but at this point it just looks like they're forcing themselves to pump out new Halo games all over the place because they know the name sells, like Disney barfing up Star Wars content no one really wants but everyone fucking buys.

It's also well documented that the new Halo's had a nightmarish development. I mean jeez, it's supposed to be the flagship launch game for the console, and now it's not even launching with the console.

Top
 Profile  
MeltedFace
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:29 am
Posts: 568
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:33 pm 
 

Razakel wrote:
l Lunaris l wrote:
And yeah, I gotta agree, Microsoft's offerings usually don't even cross my mind, pretty much the only exclusive I'd want to play is the Halo series and that just doesn't justify buying the system for me.


I dunno man, the first two Halo games were the shit back when I was in high school, but has the series really kept up over the years? I honestly can't say. The last one I played was Halo 3, which I thought was pretty crappy when it came out (hell, even Halo 2's campaign sucked but the online multiplayer was fun as hell), and just looking at the millions of spin-offs they've shat out over the years doesn't put a good taste in my mouth. Again, I'm a good decade behind on the series, but at this point it just looks like they're forcing themselves to pump out new Halo games all over the place because they know the name sells, like Disney barfing up Star Wars content no one really wants but everyone fucking buys.

It's also well documented that the new Halo's had a nightmarish development. I mean jeez, it's supposed to be the flagship launch game for the console, and now it's not even launching with the console.


Yea, Halo is worrying but there are at least other Xbox/PC exclusives I'm excited about - Forza, Fable, and Hellblade II. There is sure to be another Gears of War as well, and if Scorn ever actually gets released, it's supposed to be an exclusive.

Top
 Profile  
acid_bukkake
SAD!

Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:45 am
Posts: 1659
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:27 pm 
 

You owe it to yourself to at least give Halo: Reach a try, Raz. I'm not too big a fan of the series (similarly, loved the first two and didn't care from 3 on), but Reach was the slight deviation that it needed to be and it's my favorite of the ones I've played
_________________
Earthcubed wrote:
Rage tweeting and dank memes are not essential public services.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Top
 Profile  
Unorthodox
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:08 pm
Posts: 1999
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:45 am 
 

The remake of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 is so fucking fun it's ridiculous. Awesome soundtrack, great update to maps I've played for ages now, amazing graphics, and an actually good physics engine (apparently taken from the original Neversoft devs). Just a fantastic experience all around. Best new game of the year, hands down (well... maybe on par with HL Alyx. Heard that shit was amazing, but I don't have VR so I cant make that judgement :lol:).
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 10035
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:05 am 
 

I legit don't understand the appeal of the Xbox Series S. Sure, it's cheaper, but knowing that it won't even support the enhancements of the X1X on cross-gen titles is... ???

Considering that, for now, all of the games in the X Series X launch window are cross-gen, this would mean an X1X is the superior hardware vs the XSX. What gives?
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Unorthodox
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:08 pm
Posts: 1999
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:13 pm 
 

I don't get it either, not only for the reasons you mentioned, but also because of the fact that a lot of the games that you would think would be exclusives aren't (Halo Infinite, Fable, etc). All these new consoles dropping, and NVIDIA just destroys the competition in less than a month :lol:
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 285
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:37 pm 
 

OK, I've finished the Reassemble campaign of Avengers. Some more thoughts (I've barely played the enbgame):

1) They absolutely nailed the characters. Lots of little details that are cool, like Hulk grabbing enemies and hitting other enemies with them, some of Iron Man's moves, Thor's hammer feels good, etc. My favorites right now are probably Thor and Black Widow.

2) The campaign itself was OK. It was better than the single player campaigns of games like Destiny or Division, but ti was also quite short and not without hiccups. It featured some sequences that move away from the main shtick, which is a beat-em-up looter RPG:
Spoiler: show
Kamala fleeing from a murderous Hulk, Iron Man armorless, Iron Man flying to the satellite to the tune of Wings of Icarus, and so on
. Some cute scenes as well (Kamala's scenes with her dad, or with Bruce during their roadtrip).

3) The villains are meh. The final fight(s) is cool, but they're a bit Saturday morning villains. Or anime villains.

4) There are glitches. And crashes, and bugs. I've seen more in about 10 hours than in 40+ hours of Ghost of Tsushima. Speaking of which, how come the loading screens take this long? GoT was almost instantaneous, this game takes comparatively a long time to reload. Which is grating in scenes where you can fall to your death.

5) Itemization is meh.

6) The leveling is good. Sure, you end up mostly with the same skills as everyone else, but it's a good way to make characters deeper without throwing super-complex characters right out of the gate.

7) Cosmetics I don't really care much. A lot of skins are variations of other skins, so once you have a skin in a "series", you don't really need the others. I DGAF about nameplates. Money wise, it seems like a terrible waste.

8) Some enemies are cheap. Like, real "I can stunlock you", "one shot you" or "lock you out of your abilities" kinda cheap. Some design decisions baffle! Why can't every character destroy barriers?

9) When the game gets good, it gets really good. You're playing as an Avenger, you have these cool powers, you wreck those extras, you still need to be careful not to get overwhelmed but you feel like a super hero. Sadly, the game doesn't strike that balance constantly.

Right now, this sits at a 7/10. Given that I'm a huge Avengers dork, it should have been higher. This should have been GOTY contender, and it's... not. The GAAS component has one advantage though, it's that if there are enough whales, we'll get some additions at no additional cost. Looking forward to play Black Panther and others!

Top
 Profile  
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 am
Posts: 13437
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:39 am 
 

I downloaded the Horde Mode mod for Doom Eternal today. That has made me realise how far I still have to progress with this game. I've gotten to round 5 but can't get any further than that. I'm certain I'll never complete it but it's a fun way to kill some time.
_________________
The Lions Den wrote:
Just vegan and faggots melo-tech-death for dad's fancy-ass. Fuck!!!

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 285
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:24 pm 
 

PS5 showcase. Final Fantasy XVI announced and it's in a medieval fantasy setting, so I'm loving it. The combat seems like that of FFXV which was the best part IMO; with a more interesting cvast and story, this could be great. Demon Souls is a launch title and it looks amazing. Miles Morales is more Spiderman, so that's a good thing, but it's not a "next gen heavy hitter". Later games includes God of War Rangnarok (sans Jeff Goldblum, presumably), and Death Loop which oozes style and is from the makes of the amazing Prey.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 10035
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:04 am 
 

Make sure to set the quality to 4K:



For the first time ever, I've pre-ordered a console.
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Gravetemplar
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:08 am
Posts: 1587
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:16 am 
 

Fuck, the first video they uploaded said it was going to be on PC too but they have rectified.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 778
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:35 am 
 

Morrigan wrote:
Make sure to set the quality to 4K:



For the first time ever, I've pre-ordered a console.


So, they're already up for preorder.

Fuck me. I don't know if I can resist.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 778
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:39 am 
 

Nevermind, I think the preorders are already long gone.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Curious_dead
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm
Posts: 285
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:04 am 
 

Man, I can't wait die over and over and over but now with gorgeous graphics at 60fps! :P

Seriously, Demon Souls is, in my opinion, the hardest Souls-like by far. Even after "gaining experience" from multiple Dark Souls, going back to it, I kept getting my ass kicked.

Still, it has two of my top-five souls-like levels: the initial castle level, and the jail with friggin
Spoiler: show
mind flayers
.

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 10035
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:28 pm 
 

Image
Image
Image
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 898, 899, 900, 901, 902  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gravetemplar, Ilwhyan and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group