Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:13 pm 

Started watching History’s Secret of Skinwalker Ranch. And rationally I know it’ll turn into another series of “scientists” stumbling around in the darkness with Geiger counters that ultimately does nothing to resolve the mystery; but I want to believe, so I can’t help coming back to this type of show!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:54 am 

Raised by Wolves is so goddamn interesting. Anyone else checked it out yet?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:24 pm 

I've been hesitant to because it's nowadays Ridley Scott, though it does look cool. It's good?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:36 pm 

Do y'all actually, like, pay for all of these streaming and premium services? I get one or two maybe, I'm just bewildered whenever I see someone with more than that.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:02 pm 

My girlfriend and I split a Netflix account and then we use one of her family members' Crave accounts, which is more than enough for us (we used to have Shudder as well but ditched it because we hardly ever used it, though it was only like $7 a month or something). Neither of us really watch a tremendous amount of TV. I'll usually get into one show every couple months and she just pretty much rewatches TNG and Deepspace 9 over and over on Netflix.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:07 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Do y'all actually, like, pay for all of these streaming and premium services? I get one or two maybe, I'm just bewildered whenever I see someone with more than that.

I pay for 5 of them, and my family leech of them all. I'm cool with it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:39 pm 

Razakel wrote:
My girlfriend and I split a Netflix account and then we use one of her family members' Crave accounts, which is more than enough for us (we used to have Shudder as well but ditched it because we hardly ever used it, though it was only like $7 a month or something). Neither of us really watch a tremendous amount of TV. I'll usually get into one show every couple months and she just pretty much rewatches TNG and Deepspace 9 over and over on Netflix.

I've never even heard of two of those :lol:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 am 

Earthcubed wrote:

We pay for Netflix and use her sister's Hulu/Prime and a friend's Shudder.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:20 am 

Only ten minutes into Amazon's remake of the stellar Utopia, and I already want to throw my phone through the fucking TV. A disgrace on every level.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:33 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Only ten minutes into Amazon's remake of the stellar Utopia, and I already want to throw my phone through the fucking TV. A disgrace on every level.

Sad to hear...Utopia was so unique.

Also yeah I just started watching Raised by Wolves. It moves a lot faster than I expected, I thought all the plot points of the first episode were going to be a season long. I'm actually happy about that cuz I wasn't looking forward to these plot points that much. I'm digging it.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MiamiJustice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:55 pm 

I watched every episode of married with children on hulu. Man was Kelly hot. Great show too, very funny and comical. 4 touchdowns in one game.

I watched Stranger Things too...not bad. I would prefer the show end with season 3 though. I'm not too interested in a season 4.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:23 pm 

GLOW. Subrick mentioned it in an unlikely thread, and I put the pilot on over dinner and nearly forgot to eat. the first 4:20 minutes are genius. and it stays strong. the key in the car scene and the bit afterwards are really strong screenwriting. the Strindberg bit was apt, and when my favourite Journey song kicked in like that... <3 I'm curious to see where it goes next... I'm not keen on wrestling, so I fear I may not be that into it for the length of three seasons, but right now I need to watch more!

thanks, Subrick :)

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:00 pm 

New Fargo season off to a strong start (as usual). Jessie Buckley is so great in it, makes me want to check out I'm Thinking of Ending Things just because she's in it.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:07 pm 

! had no idea. thanks for the heads up. gonna let it wrap and binge watch it like I did with the earlier seasons...

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:51 pm 

Last episode of the final season of The 100 aired yesterday. Bout to watch it. Hope they end up doing a prequel and I hope it's good!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:54 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
New Fargo season off to a strong start (as usual). Jessie Buckley is so great in it, makes me want to check out I'm Thinking of Ending Things just because she's in it.

That movie is packed full of people who were in previous Fargo seasons. I'm gonna be checking the new season out soon - probably this weekend.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:17 pm 

Can't say I've been a huge fan of Lovecraft Country. When it focuses on Jim Crow South horrors it's good, so the first couple episodes make for solid TV, but when it descends into (frankly sub-par) CGI fests I'm not really impressed. On paper everything should be good, but the soapy melodrama coupled with the crappy After Effects spells makes me feel like I'm watching an episode of Charmed.

Kinda shocking considering the production studio and talent involved. Gave up after the fourth episode, anyone know if it gets better?

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:41 pm 

I watched the first two episodes of Lovecraft Country, but I haven't felt like continuing after the suuuuper silly conclusion of the second episode.

Spoiler: show
I was expecting something a bit more slow burn and sinister but instead I got a cutscene from a bad fantasy rpg.

I should watch the next one to see if it gets better, but if it's more of that shit I'm out lol. When it sticks to the horror-infused Jim Crow South stuff it's great.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:35 am 

aloof wrote:
GLOW. Subrick mentioned it in an unlikely thread, and I put the pilot on over dinner and nearly forgot to eat. the first 4:20 minutes are genius. and it stays strong. the key in the car scene and the bit afterwards are really strong screenwriting. the Strindberg bit was apt, and when my favourite Journey song kicked in like that... <3 I'm curious to see where it goes next... I'm not keen on wrestling, so I fear I may not be that into it for the length of three seasons, but right now I need to watch more!

thanks, Subrick :)

If it's any consolation, the show is super divisive among wrestling fans. Not because of how it portrays GLOW or the business in general (GLOW was a shit promotion with a ton of untrained actresses who were abysmal and just wrought with silly gimmicks), but because of how the "female empowerment" angle flies in contrast to what GLOW was actually like.

darkeningday wrote:

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:41 am 

GLOW is good shit. I'm a bit biased as a big Alison Brie fan but it's a really entertaining character dramedy. Although season 3 is a little wonky at times (some of the character writing gets a tad repetitive) it still kept me invested. Apparently it's set for a fourth and final season whenever filming can return in a normal capacity so we'll see if that holds up more to the quality of the first two seasons.

YesIam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:24 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:
GLOW is good shit. I'm a bit biased as a big Alison Brie fan but it's a really entertaining character dramedy. Although season 3 is a little wonky at times (some of the character writing gets a tad repetitive) it still kept me invested. Apparently it's set for a fourth and final season whenever filming can return in a normal capacity so we'll see if that holds up more to the quality of the first two seasons.

Hell yeah! This series is so good I've been thinking about beginning to watch wrestling with some of my friends. It's absolutely incredibly, and the way it portrays wrestling both on and off stage is super interesting. I can't wait for a new season tbh.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:44 am 

Started watching Cobra Kai a couple of days ago, mainly based on good reviews on IMDb. First season was really fun, I liked the approach they took with both Daniel and Johnny; no heroes, no villains, just people with flaws trying their best (fights were also really cool). Then I got to season 2 and everything went downhill, this show makes no sense anymore.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:28 pm 

My girlfriend got me to give Netflix's Love a try. It's a Judd Apatow production starring Paul Rust and Gillian Jacobs. The show works very well if you consider it as Britta's post-Greendale life and I hope Joel McHale makes an appearance in later seasons.

darkeningday wrote:

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:36 pm 

My girlfriend and I just finished watching Cobra Kai. We both really enjoyed the 80s vibe. Can anyone recommend any series from the 80s worth checking out? btw we've both seen Stranger Things.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:20 am 

The Haunting of Bly Manor is happening in the next few days. I'm fucking hyped as fuck for it.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:13 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The Haunting of Bly Manor is happening in the next few days. I'm fucking hyped as fuck for it.

What do/did you think? I'm only doing an episode a day but it's pretty good so far.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:55 am 

I watched the first three in a row last night. Really digging it. Not sure where it's going as I am unfamiliar with the source material, but there's a lot of little threads being sown that I'm curious to see where they go. Victoria Pedretti as the lead is killer... she's a real talent. Can't wait to see her do more.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:37 pm 

I was never able to get much into Hill House. I feel like I enjoyed it well enough while I was watching it, but by the end I really couldn't say I loved it (didn't help that the ending was completely bad). I dunno, clearly I'm in the minority since I know it's pretty beloved, just never really clicked much with the characters/story, plus other than that bent neck girl episode (that one was great) the scares seemed pretty thin.

Also, while it didn't really bother me that it had nothing to do with Jackson's book, it definitely confused me. Why didn't they just call it something else?

REQUIEM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:37 pm 

so happy that fargo finally started. nothing comes close in 2020.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:54 am 

I've been watching Bly Manor, I like it. I agree about Victoria Pedretti. She really does the lead role well. I was kind of surprised to learn that she is only 25. Looking forward to her playing more roles. I believe she is a great actress, from what I have seen of her in Hill House and Bly Manor. Looking forward to her in more roles.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:26 pm 

Really enjoyed Bly Manor... I think this one will be even more divisive than Hill House though; it's super slow and abstract in places. Really quite strange and does its own thing. The final episode I thought was beautiful. Probably gonna see it again before Halloween to see if I notice anything new.

Pedretti was also in 'You' this year and was really something else in that. I didn't know she was only 25. Shit.

Fargo is interesting for sure too. Can't wait to see what all this is building up to, and Jessie Buckley's character and acting are a huge standout so far. Chris Rock is badass as well.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:03 pm 

New Discovery is interesting. It's still way too Abrams Trek-y overall, but at least they seem to be leaving the prequelitis behind.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Really enjoyed Bly Manor... I think this one will be even more divisive than Hill House though; it's super slow and abstract in places. Really quite strange and does its own thing. The final episode I thought was beautiful. Probably gonna see it again before Halloween to see if I notice anything new.

Hmh I'm gonna check this out. I've read review snippets telling me how it's "barely horror and boring". Which probably means it isn't a jump scare filled haunted house ride, but actually something interesting.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:11 pm 

I wouldn't say it scared me, but over 90 percent of horror doesn't scare me in an immediate way and you just gotta judge stuff for what it is. It's masterfully done.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:53 am 

In recommendation to my 'what TV to watch' question earlier in this thread, we've finally started watching 'How I Met Your Mother'. So far into series 2, and it's actually really good. Ted isn't as much as an idiot as I'd expected, and Barney is precisely as much of a horrible, horrible, brilliant person as expected.

I'll catch up with 21st century TV eventually, though looking at the latest adverts for ST:Discovery (everyone is disheveled, wearing leather, and looking sad, like every other modern TV series it seems), probably will take a while.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:54 am 

Methuen wrote:
In recommendation to my 'what TV to watch' question earlier in this thread, we've finally started watching 'How I Met Your Mother'. So far into series 2, and it's actually really good. Ted isn't as much as an idiot as I'd expected, and Barney is precisely as much of a horrible, horrible, brilliant person as expected.

I'll catch up with 21st century TV eventually, though looking at the latest adverts for ST:Discovery (everyone is disheveled, wearing leather, and looking sad, like every other modern TV series it seems), probably will take a while.

I love HIMYM. I'm even in the minority that loves the ending.

As for the Discovery ads, there's a reason for that. They looked "cleaner" in previous seasons. They often did look sad. I'm not a super fan of it, but I like the characters enough to keep watching. It's also a gorgeous series to look at, it looks really expensive.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:59 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Methuen wrote:

I love HIMYM. I'm even in the minority that loves the ending.

As for the Discovery ads, there's a reason for that. They looked "cleaner" in previous seasons. They often did look sad. I'm not a super fan of it, but I like the characters enough to keep watching. It's also a gorgeous series to look at, it looks really expensive.

It's definitely on my list - need to finish Deep Space Nine first :lol:

Currently watching series 8 of Supernatural on our annual 'binge before the next series shows here' run through.

If anyone could sort me out with an Impala like the one in the show, I don't think I'd need to buy my wife another birthday present again :lol:

Ina_Dingir_Xul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:34 am 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Queen ... miniseries)

A single-season drama series about a chess prodigy, drawing many parallels to the real-life prodigy Bobby Fischer and his winning of the 1972 World Chess Championship against Boris Spassky.

I first noticed this drama series because of its title, which links to the chess opening (and the series features chess heavily). Watched it over about a week, and the first episode started slow but things grew on me with each episode. Overall it felt like a great show, very well put together and interesting storyline. From the choice of sedative for the main character to be addicted to (chlordiazepoxide) to the use of descriptive chess notation (rather than algebraic, which has replaced the former), I find a lot of effort has been made to keep things accurate.

Many articles produced by people with far superior writing and review skills to mine have also discussed the themes of the show to include addiction, family and friendship.

Would be nice to hear what anyone else who has seen this show thinks. Overall it seems to have gotten positive reviews for both the entertainment value and the accuracy to real-life chess tournament play, with only small exceptions.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:51 pm 

I liked it a lot, really well done.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:45 am 

Yeah I liked that series, too. Had me hooked from the start.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 182  Next