Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:28 am 

Opus wrote:
Religious people are great at coming up with terrific torture methods. They couldn't just be hung by the hands, they had to be hung by hooks piercing their hands.

It's just them envisioning what they want to happen to people they don't like. It strikes me as not so different from the way fascist regimes project their loathing on ethnic groups, call them vermin, etc. Jesus was supposed to be the ultimate sacrifice, but humans as a species didn't suddenly evolve past the need for scapegoats. Christians just learned to be less explicit about their religious sacrifices than their ancestors.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:45 am 

I saw a new cathedral somewhre in Russia, full of mosaics of soldiers and so on. Pretty sure they've gotten the wrong end of the stick there, somewhere. It's as 'wrong feeling' as the memorial for the nuclear submarine service in Westminster Abbey in London. "Bring me the poor, the meek, and the atomic bomb merchants" isn't quite how I remember it from primary school :lol:

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:26 pm 

Gothic architecture is at least beautiful. I had to memorise monasteries in Byzantine style for art history subject and I still hate these stupid domes. The newest kitsch we have is this big monument installed a few months ago. This is some monarch from our miserable history that church turned into saint. :roll: Needless to say, it was crafted by Russian ''artist'' and costed a lot.
Spoiler: show
Image :annoyed:

Apart from church scandals here raging from paedophilia to murder (of drug addict in rehab centre with shovel), today in Israel some religious fanatics got killed in stampede.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:00 pm 

We had a modernist art teacher, so it was all abstract pretention and 'find the depth of the message in this random splat of blue paint on a wall'.

I'd have killed for some Byzantine monasteries, in hindsight :lol:

There's a cathedral not far from where I used to live - the outside is all Victorian gothic revival, the immediate interior is medieval, there are some Protestant vandalisms around the ancient statues and so on, and then right at the back is a section wall made of big stones and simple arches that were put in around AD 900.

The ancient ones are truly fantastic things.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:04 pm 

I posted this in the Web 1.0 thread, but considering that that thread tends to not get much discussion beyond just sharing links, I'm gonna post this here, as I'm sure more than a few people on this site will find this quite interesting.

--

http://www.wideanglecloseup.com/starwarsaudio.html

This is a page with links to bootleg audio recordings of the first two original Star Wars movies upon each of their initial releases. The author of the page is the guy who recorded the audio, and he says that his initial reason for doing such a thing was because he was slightly dissatisfied that the original 2 LP soundtrack of the first movie he bought in 1977 didn't feature every single music cue from the film. Therefore, he went to a screening of Star Wars, snuck in a cassette recorder, and bootlegged the audio once from the left side of the theatre and once from the right side. He ended up doing the same thing with The Empire Strikes Back, and thus we have two original theater audio recordings of the first two Star Wars movies.

By the way, I highly recommend this page from OriginalTrilogy dot com. It is a GIANT preservation effort of original theater presentation bootlegs of each Star Wars movie, from the original in 1977 all the way up to Solo. The effort's been going on for over a decade, and it features some extra stuff as well, such as a camrip of the original Phantom Menace trailer that was attached to Meet Joe Black in 1998, plus two different workprints of Revenge of the Sith. Some of the links are dead, but most of them are stil live.

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Theat ... s/id/12161

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:37 pm 

Osore wrote:
Gothic architecture is at least beautiful. I had to memorise monasteries in Byzantine style for art history subject and I still hate these stupid domes. The newest kitsch we have is this big monument installed a few months ago. This is some monarch from our miserable history that church turned into saint. :roll: Needless to say, it was crafted by Russian ''artist'' and costed a lot.

Apart from church scandals here raging from paedophilia to murder (of drug addict in rehab centre with shovel), today in Israel some religious fanatics got killed in stampede.

Does he have tentacles, growing out of him? That looks pretty bad.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:08 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Osore wrote:

Does he have tentacles, growing out of him? That looks pretty bad.

:-D Yes, from that perspective. I wrote a mocking haiku about him sitting on an egg when it was revealed, and now I see it started to hatch.

Methuen wrote:
We had a modernist art teacher, so it was all abstract pretention and 'find the depth of the message in this random splat of blue paint on a wall'.

I'd have killed for some Byzantine monasteries, in hindsight :lol:

There's a cathedral not far from where I used to live - the outside is all Victorian gothic revival, the immediate interior is medieval, there are some Protestant vandalisms around the ancient statues and so on, and then right at the back is a section wall made of big stones and simple arches that were put in around AD 900.

The ancient ones are truly fantastic things.

I would suck the blood from someone's neck for a Gothic castle where I can lay my bones in some velvet red coffin. XD

You were so advanced, we made it to Van Gogh and then - bang - the school year is over. I had to finish the book myself.
Before that, in primary school, we visited a monastery (can't remember the name) and it was very romantic/fairy tail-like - long trail surrounded by trees was gradually descending until we were basically in a wood in front of a small church. The small wooden door opened and the small nun appeared in black, looking older than Baba Yaga and told us something like ''Children, beware of drugs''. It was so surreal, I wasn't sure if she's really merciful or hides smoking cauldron inside.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:34 pm 

I did have one fun experience, with pretentious modern art instruction, in school. In the later years of elementary school, we had a few hours of art instruction, every few weeks. In one session, I was put in a group with a bunch of kids who later grew up to be failures(one, along with his brother, committed dozens of burglaries, to get heroin. I kid you not, he was so dumb, that he thought that the British empire must have necessarily been one contiguous landmass, and that after winning its independence, the United States wouldn’t be part of it anymore, and therefore, the lands would drift apart. He asked the teacher, “so, did they wake up one day, at the beach, and Britain wasn’t there anymore?”). The bleeding heart liberal art teacher, in her delusion, that such sociopath kids could somehow, be prevented from becoming racist tweakers, taught everyone about Jackson Pollock. I got made fun of, by kids who were good at drawing, because I could barely draw stick figures. So naturally, us being told to do something in Jackson Pollock’s style was great. I couldn’t draw, and the other kids couldn’t do anything right, and are illiterates today, who beat their kids and pit bulls, and spend their welfare checks on alcohol, while complaining about minorities on welfare.

We just splashed paint everywhere, and the chief failure kid told the teacher it was a representation of city traffic, and the teacher was stupid enough to think that we actually put effort into it.

megalowho
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:54 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I kid you not, he was so dumb, that he thought that the British empire must have necessarily been one contiguous landmass, and that after winning its independence, the United States wouldn’t be part of it anymore, and therefore, the lands would drift apart. He asked the teacher, “so, did they wake up one day, at the beach, and Britain wasn’t there anymore?”

Haha! I guess he kind of gets a pass for being that young...? I dunno. “Kid science” (as my friend calls it) can be pretty funny. I remember being 5 or 6-ish and thinking I could reconstitute a brick by taking a fragment of it, submerging it in water, and freezing it. (An aptitude for the sciences never was in the cards for me.)

I’m also reminded of an ex who didn’t believe that a person with black skin (namely Idris Elba) could be British.

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 1:07 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I did have one fun experience, with pretentious modern art instruction, in school. In the later years of elementary school, we had a few hours of art instruction, every few weeks. In one session, I was put in a group with a bunch of kids who later grew up to be failures(one, along with his brother, committed dozens of burglaries, to get heroin. I kid you not, he was so dumb, that he thought that the British empire must have necessarily been one contiguous landmass, and that after winning its independence, the United States wouldn’t be part of it anymore, and therefore, the lands would drift apart. He asked the teacher, “so, did they wake up one day, at the beach, and Britain wasn’t there anymore?”). The bleeding heart liberal art teacher, in her delusion, that such sociopath kids could somehow, be prevented from becoming racist tweakers, taught everyone about Jackson Pollock. I got made fun of, by kids who were good at drawing, because I could barely draw stick figures. So naturally, us being told to do something in Jackson Pollock’s style was great. I couldn’t draw, and the other kids couldn’t do anything right, and are illiterates today, who beat their kids and pit bulls, and spend their welfare checks on alcohol, while complaining about minorities on welfare.

We just splashed paint everywhere, and the chief failure kid told the teacher it was a representation of city traffic, and the teacher was stupid enough to think that we actually put effort into it.

(⌒_⌒;)
That reminds me of my art teacher in primary school. She lost a couple of teeth that were left and became toothless until our final (8th) year, and that misfortune somehow suited her witty persona. She wasn't talking about theory, let alone Jackson Pollock, so when she wanted something in that style, we would be asked to do ''stains, smears (mrlje, fleke)''. One day her son rushed into class with his head shaved asymmetrically and whined: ''Mom, look what she did to me!''
''Has your hair been cut by that fat cow across the street? Go and tell her to fix it!'' (Although everyone was laughing, that's the perfect example of what shouldn't be said, especially in front of the class, to your child.)
Our classroom was divided into smaller sections and one day I wanted to see what's in the second ''atelier'', and saw the teacher lying on a couch. I found the place where she was chilling out when she was absent - we used to paint alone most of the time.

When my sister was in prep-school, they were told not to spill their milk/tea in a sink, and when she couldn't drink more milk, she put the cup in a plastic bag in her backpack, and it got spilled, obviously. XD
My own embarrassment was also in prep-school when I misunderstood our teacher who wanted buckets of roses with flowers and some closed buds here and there. My friend and I plucked only buds from every rose bush we found in our neighbourhood and brought the bag full of buds like nuts. XD I wish someone filmed our faces when we saw all the other children with flowers in full bloom.

megalowho wrote:
I’m also reminded of an ex who didn’t believe that a person with black skin (namely Idris Elba) could be British.
An Amish on TV asked two strangers in caffee, persons of colour, if they had come from Africa and one of them replied: ''That ship sailed long ago.''

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:25 pm 

I feel like I always find a way to shovel dirt on Metallica no matter what the topic of the thread is so I'm going to try not talking about them for an entire year. If I mention them again before the time is up, point it out to me and I'll mail you my metalhead ID card for shredding.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 9:41 pm 

megalowho wrote:
Haha! I guess he kind of gets a pass for being that young...? I dunno. “Kid science” (as my friend calls it) can be pretty funny. I remember being 5 or 6-ish...

This was 10-11. In the same year, they also had the genius intellectual idea, to ditch class and smoke weed, but not actually, you know, leave school. They were doing it in the bathroom, in the same building, separated from out classroom, by a hallway entrance. The principal, and a district administrator walked in, and called the sheriffs. They were supposed to have had some ridiculous amount, like three ounces. One of them later ended up being a wife beater sociopath. The other(years later, high school) ended up ruining his acquaintances’ session, of illegally drinking beer, on a levee pathway, by spray painting dicks, on the back of an adjacent building, in daylight, with people walking by, resulting in snitches calling police on them(he had help. The other spray painting kid was writing gang shit, of a gang he wasn’t actually part of).

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:47 am 

MRmehman wrote:
I feel like I always find a way to shovel dirt on Metallica no matter what the topic of the thread is so I'm going to try not talking about them for an entire year. If I mention them again before the time is up, point it out to me and I'll mail you my metalhead ID card for shredding.

Good luck with that, since Meta- I mean, the big metal band is huge and practically everyone on this forum loves to talk about them :thumbsup:

Check out my reviews

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:59 am 

What can be said that hasn't already been said?

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:46 pm 

Opus wrote:
What can be said that hasn't already been said?

Everything has already been said, but not everyone has said it yet.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:47 pm 

It’s okay to not like Metallica. I like the first album, it sounds like other bands I like. I listened to the other 80s stuff, it was good, but not good enough that I felt I had to come back to it. They’re actually good at radio hard rock as well. But there’s other stuff, I’d rather listen to.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:56 pm 

Still probably the best Big 4 band. Though old Slayer was probably better by some metrics anyway.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:11 pm 

What do you guys think about Metal Militia as being the opener on Kill Em All instead of Hit the Lights? I feel like it's a better mission statement for early Metallica, and a better song overall.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 6:32 pm 

raumr wrote:
What do you guys think about Metal Militia as being the opener on Kill Em All instead of Hit the Lights? I feel like it's a better mission statement for early Metallica, and a better song overall.

Honestly, Hit the Lights is still the better opener. Those first 30 seconds are still a classic among the Metallica intros, and Metal Militia's closing outro with lightning would be a good precursor to "Ride the Lightning".

Check out my reviews

Death By Wall of Text
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:18 pm 

Hit the Lights is good as an opener, but how did Seek & Destroy become the "hit" song from that album and not Metal Militia which is catchy as hell I'll never know.

Sedition and Pockets
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 8:26 pm 

Death By Wall of Text wrote:
Hit the Lights is good as an opener, but how did Seek & Destroy become the "hit" song from that album and not Metal Militia which is catchy as hell I'll never know.

That riff

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 am 

raumr wrote:

No, those two are exactly where they need to be.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:09 am 

Death By Wall of Text wrote:

Going by amount of live plays, Whiplash is the second most popular track on the record. The Four Horsemen, No Remorse and Motorbreath also all have more live plays than Hit the Lights. Metal Militia is the least played track from the record. When the fucking bass solo has been played more often than Metal Militia.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:05 pm 

I’m going to have to out myself, with an unpopular opinion. I would rather listen to any Venom and fucking Slayer(except Repentless, which is boring, and not fun, even in a teenage edgelord way), than Metallica. I know we aren’t supposed to make “unpopular opinion” threads, so I’ll have to post it here.

Yes, those other bands made bad music, and cringeworthy decisions in real life, and yes, I am a hypocrite. But back in high school, the David Icke conspiracy fan kids liked Metallica, and thought fucking Slayer were satanic evildoers. They never heard of Venom, because they were posers. Butt rock stations play enter sandman, but not angel of death, or in league with satan.

Knowing that James Hetfield found religion, and narrated an anti-porn documentary, makes me feel bad for making fun of Kerry King(so does Tom Araya’s behavior). And I don’t even like porno, I think it sucks. But come on man, I thought you wanted everyone to jump in the fire?

It’s just disappointing.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:34 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Knowing that James Hetfield found religion, and narrated an anti-porn documentary...

Wait, James Hetfield narrated an anti-porn documentary?! :eek:

Check out my reviews

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:44 pm 

That is the very much the truth.

https://loudwire.com/metallica-james-he ... d-to-porn/

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:19 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I’m going to have to out myself, with an unpopular opinion. I would rather listen to any Venom and fucking Slayer(except Repentless, which is boring, and not fun, even in a teenage edgelord way), than Metallica. I know we aren’t supposed to make “unpopular opinion” threads, so I’ll have to post it here.

Yeah - I've only recently really given Metallica a go, and it's not doing much for me. Crusty horrible Venom live reocrdings though, YES :D

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 7:29 pm 

Christians say, “it’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.” Well guess what, it’s “1000 days in Sodom,” not this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KxpZYSTP9-4

Edit:
Methuen wrote:
Yeah - I've only recently really given Metallica a go, and it's not doing much for me. Crusty horrible Venom live reocrdings though, YES :D

(Crowd separates in two, in preparation for wall of death)
Count Cronos wrote:
Come on, turn it up!

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:06 pm 

When are Relapse going to reissue GISM's M.A.N.? I snagged a shirt and CD of DETESTATION and I'm absolutely doing the same when M.A.N. gets reissued too. It's now the only GISM LP I don't own and I'm not paying the ridiculous prices for a used vinyl.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:55 pm 

When Sakevi gets released/sobers up, and finds the master tapes.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm 

So earlier today, I introduced my friend group to Forgotten Woods's debut album "As the Wolves Gather". Every week, I introduce them to a new metal album and in return they introduce me to a new non-metal album. We then check out the albums we were recommended and give feedback. There was this one guy (we'll call him Bob) who's new into the group, and actually wanted to check out the album I recommended. So he pulled it up on his phone and we listened to the first song "Eclipsed". About two minutes into the song, he stops it and says:

Bob: I'm sorry, but I don't like this. I've listened to far better metal.

Me: Well, it is black metal, and I can understand if that's not your cup of tea. What metal bands do you like, though?

Bob: AC/DC and Guns N' Roses.

I don't think I've ever facepalmed that hard in my life. :durr:

Check out my reviews

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:14 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
Yes, those other bands made bad music, and cringeworthy decisions in real life, and yes, I am a hypocrite. But back in high school, the David Icke conspiracy fan kids liked Metallica, and thought fucking Slayer were satanic evildoers. They never heard of Venom, because they were posers. Butt rock stations play enter sandman, but not angel of death, or in league with satan.

Only the David Icke conspiracy kids listened to Metallica? When did you go to school?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:48 pm 

Terri23 wrote:
Only the David Icke conspiracy kids listened to Metallica? When did you go to school?

I didn’t say they were the only ones, I just said they they genuinely thought fucking Slayer was “evil.” And the “Illuminati” were using them to promote evil. It’s funny, because I was actually a Christian, back then, but I just thought it was entertainment. These kids were a special kind of dumb. One of them had his own worldview, which was Afrocentrism(he was like 25-50% black), thought that people built the pyramids with telekinesis, that the reptilian shapeshifters ruined that edenic utopia, and that Europeans an Asians were part demons. He also talked about how alcohol was literal demonic possession, despite my insistence that liquor being referred as “spirits” was an out of context literal translation, from another language. He would actually pray to benevolent “spirits,” while drinking alcohol, for forgiveness. Basically, a belligerent drunk, who criticized all of his drinking buddies, for drinking. Also just a general asshole, I don’t know if he’s still around.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:21 am 

Slightly Monty Python voting experience last night - since we've got a silly number of governmental layers here, I was voting for three different types of politician, via two different methods, none of which you really hear about outside of election time / when they can score points in the papers. The real amusement comes from the experience of not one, not two, but three parties campaigning to abolish the governmental arm they're standing for election to. Always nice to take part in the system :lol:

Biggest field I've seen for a while, too;
(* also campaigning on an 'Abolish' ticket)
(** no idea on the difference, they didn't canvas. I'm sure it's terribly important to them)
(*** these are COVID-chancers campaigning against lockdowns)

Where I live it's a 'stick a rosette on a dead pig and they'd vote Labour' kind of place, but the field was still intersting -

Tories, Labour, Libdems, Greens, UKIP*, Socialists, another type of Socialists**, Communists, 'Reform'* & ***, 'Freedom'***, Nationalists, another type of Nationalists**, Abolish v.3, and misc. Independents.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
So earlier today, I introduced my friend group to Forgotten Woods's debut album "As the Wolves Gather". Every week, I introduce them to a new metal album and in return they introduce me to a new non-metal album. We then check out the albums we were recommended and give feedback. There was this one guy (we'll call him Bob) who's new into the group, and actually wanted to check out the album I recommended. So he pulled it up on his phone and we listened to the first song "Eclipsed". About two minutes into the song, he stops it and says:

Me: Well, it is black metal, and I can understand if that's not your cup of tea. What metal bands do you like, though?

Hehe, I remember when I showed my friend the title track from "As the Wolves Gather". He really liked it, as it is very groovy and catchy, but once the shrieking vocals appeared he was just like "Nope!". :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:22 pm 

Imagine thinking someone is gonna put you up on some rad shit like AC/DC or G'n'R then they play Forgotten Woods for you on cell phone speakers :lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:17 pm 

Nothing wrong with some AC/DC or GnR.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:10 pm 

Slater922 wrote:

This is why some people make fun of metalheads.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

This is why some people make fun of metalheads.

I mean, it's not like I hate AC/DC and Guns N' Roses. I actually enjoyed "Back in Black" and "Highway to Hell" with AC/DC and "Appetite for Destruction" and "Use Your Illusion 1 and 2" for Guns N' Roses. The problem I had is with him thinking it's metal, even though they lean a lot more towards rock and (in Guns N' Roses's case) glam metal.

Check out my reviews

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:26 pm 

To be fair your friend has better taste than you. The only good song on that Forgotten Woods album is the title song, and that is barely passable. Sounds to me like it is you who needs to improve your listening tastes.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293  Next