Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:44 am 

Don't get the love for the Ukrainian song at all. I'm not even sure what puzzles me more: them thinking that taking a random folk song and merely slapping a Trance beat on it was a great idea, or that so many people actually thought that it was.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 10:10 am 

Morrigan wrote:
...Ukraine was dope, though. I can't lie. The Italy song was decent rock, so I'm glad for them, but Ukraine was trippy as hell.

It has a really psy-trance vibe and the whole aesthetic is dope! The lyrics are also amazing; they talk about spring and its essence in the Ukrainian folklore; totally something that Drudkh would write about. :headbang: :-P :-P

I got places I gotta be!

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 4:43 pm 

Ukraine was my favorite as well. Kinda obsessed with the song now, honestly. Can't stop listening to it. :-D The original version of the song is great as well. They tried to cut that one down to 3 minutes for Eurovision, but they struggled with that. So, they made a more direct version specifically for the event. Never thought I'd find a band I want to check out further by watching Eurovision, but that's exactly what happened.

The original:
Spoiler: show

Italy brought the perfect song to win. Simple, full of energy, and 100% genuine sounding.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 5:42 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
My mother said that her mother would actually go into her room, and adjust the speed, on her record player, claiming that the music was “out of tune.” As if the Beatles didn’t tune their guitars, in a professional studio recording.
Good turntables had a pitch tuner, eventually with visual strobe/aid, because with wear and tear (belt mostly, and I guess variable vinyl weight, also arm couter-weight, etc..), the disk wouldn't rotate at the same speed all its life. So she may have been right. Altough some bands may choose to record in modified pitches in purpose, such as A442 rather than A440. I'm confused though, was your grandmother born in America and if so how can there be clippings about her in German ?

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 6:52 pm 

Back then A440Hz wasn't really the standard to tune instruments to. So The Beatles did tune their guitars, but not to A440. Their recordings are in fact "out of tune".

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:55 pm 

kalervon wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
My mother said that her mother would actually go into her room, and adjust the speed, on her record player, claiming that the music was “out of tune.” As if the Beatles didn’t tune their guitars, in a professional studio recording.
Good turntables had a pitch tuner, eventually with visual strobe/aid, because with wear and tear (belt mostly, and I guess variable vinyl weight, also arm couter-weight, etc..), the disk wouldn't rotate at the same speed all its life. So she may have been right. Altough some bands may choose to record in modified pitches in purpose, such as A442 rather than A440. I'm confused though, was your grandmother born in America and if so how can there be clippings about her in German ?

She was born in the USA, but lived in Switzerland(she was probably too much of a poser to know, in later years, that Celtic Frost ever existed), so, when the war started, there was no risk of invasion, or being forced to work for the Nazi party. She must have crossed the border, to play a show there, or gone on tour, or something. I remember her actually mentioning the Nazis, and she thought they were evil, which makes it pretty extreme hoarding, to have kept something with one of their symbols on it.

As far as 440hz goes, didn’t Dimebag tune his A to 432, because Eddie Van Halen recommended it to him?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:03 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
As far as 440hz goes, didn’t Dimebag tune his A to 432, because Eddie Van Halen recommended it to him?

I think so. This video does explain their relationship in more detail.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 8:19 pm 

Obligatory 666 posts post.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:56 am 

Ukraine was definitely the best during this eurovision but was never going to win it. Italy were as good as you can hope for a eurovision winner even if all the music came from a tape save for the vocals.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:54 am 

Ended up signing up for what will be my fourth of five competitions this year. That means by year's end, I'll have done three strongman comps and two powerlifting meets.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:06 pm 

Vince Neil goes peak Vince Neil.

Spoiler: show

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:38 pm 

There are other videos from that show that show he sounded like that the entire time. The performance of "Dr. Feelgood" was particularly embarrassing. Still, there will be shameless boomers that spend hundreds of dollars to go see Motley Crue, and Vince Neil will continue to sound like this until his voice finally gives out for good.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:10 pm 

I saw Crue back in 2015 or 2016, and he sounded exactly the same even then. He at least completed the show back then. Walking off stage like that is just tragic.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:35 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
…even if all the music came from a tape save for the vocals.

If a band is true, and is forced to do that, they do this:

MARK9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:25 pm 

That reminded me of Iggy Pop's performance of "I'm Bored" at Australia's Countdown, only in this one he was forced to lip-sync, and makes no attempt to conceal that.

(Actual performance starts at 1:35)

Gunslinger21, on playing black metal at a lower bitrate, wrote:
Mate, if you're not playing your BM in 8-bit then you are just a fucking poser. Sorry.

Last.fm

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:13 pm 

There's a video of Iron Maiden taking the piss doing Wasted Years. The band famously abhorred miming performances, and always insisted on playing live. This one German show didn't kowtow to the bands demands, and instead they completely fucked around. Bruce ended up taking over the drums, the rest of the band traded instruments, and Steve ended up singing by the end of the song.

Riffs wrote:

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:29 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
She was born in the USA, but lived in Switzerland(she was probably too much of a poser to know, in later years, that Celtic Frost ever existed)

Your whole story was fascinating but did can I ask if you just called your own mother a poser? That's fucking hardcore, dude - holy shit.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:18 am 

Just how awesome is Voodoo Child (Slight Return) from Hendrix? It's like Jimi took the blues and gave it a huge hit of acid, but Jimi was still in complete control of it during this massive hypothetical trip.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:17 pm 

Ha, I just noticed I made someone's sig, yentass at the top of this page. :lol: Though my quote is only to put the other person's response into context, but still.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:21 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
She was born in the USA, but lived in Switzerland(she was probably too much of a poser to know, in later years, that Celtic Frost ever existed)

Your whole story was fascinating but did can I ask if you just called your own mother a poser? That's fucking hardcore, dude - holy shit.

Grandmother, not mother. She does kind of fit the definition of “poser,” however. She was, both one who hates all music made after their own twenties, and uses ANUSite-like reasoning, to declare unliked music “not real music(rather than just saying “I don’t like it”),” and a technically skilled classical musician, and music teacher.

If you have elderly relatives, on Facebook, you might be familiar, with the phenomenon, of declaring that there haven’t been any good albums, bands, or even shows, worth going to, since the 70s, and indeed, no one under 65 could possibly have any good taste in music. She was basically that, except, born in 1919.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:09 am 

I have a grandmother who is currently living, born in 1945. She's also a classically trained musician. The only music she ever has shown approval for is classical, folk of the Scottish and Americana varieties, and ABBA for some reason. She bought me my first guitar (nylon of course) but then disapproved of every single thing I ever tried to play on it.

When I was in my tween years, I was under the impression that I could either prove to her that there was good music outside of her very narrow tastes. This naturally culminated in me blasting "Hell Awaits" in her car and my grandma saying that you'd need to be "stoned" to play that fast.

She also makes frequent references to obscure subgenres of the music she does like and instruments most people have never heard of; and she does this matter-of-factly, as if it's universally known that a Uillean bagpipe is higher in pitch than a Highland one.

Over the last couple of years, she's made a very small effort to be more supportive of the style of music I play. Much to my chagrin, she has made appearances at multiple of my concerts ("I think everyone here would enjoy the music more if you stopped screaming and we could understand the words") and even ordered two copies of my band's CD, after which she texted me for three weeks straight about how she disliked the lyrics and I would be "lucky if I didn't get sued."

I've learned my lesson and make no effort anymore to show the music I listen to or write myself to her, and I try to actively discourage her from seeking it out herself whenever possible.

Last.fm
Listen to my band Begravement's debut EP!

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:08 am 

Terri23 wrote:
There's a video of Iron Maiden taking the piss doing Wasted Years. The band famously abhorred miming performances, and always insisted on playing live. This one German show didn't kowtow to the bands demands, and instead they completely fucked around. Bruce ended up taking over the drums, the rest of the band traded instruments, and Steve ended up singing by the end of the song.

Reminds me of this Whitesnake video from 1979... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ1PfB59zf8
Ian Paice is the most cynical about miming playing his instrument, and the fact that this is a studio track he did not even play on makes it worse (he joined the band shortly after it has been recorded).

Moody & Marsden seem to get a kick out of it.. Moody's "invisible tremolo" is priceless.

Also the 'roman columns' were an idea by the video producer who thought the title was 'Long Way from Rome'

But Coverdale takes it way too seriously.

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:00 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
…me blasting "Hell Awaits" in her car and my grandma saying that you'd need to be "stoned" to play that fast.

She also makes frequent references to obscure subgenres of the music she does like and instruments most people have never heard of; and she does this matter-of-factly, as if it's universally known that a Uillean bagpipe is higher in pitch than a Highland one.

…she texted me for three weeks straight about how she disliked the lyrics and I would be "lucky if I didn't get sued."

I've learned my lesson and make no effort anymore to show the music I listen to or write myself to her, and I try to actively discourage her from seeking it out herself whenever possible.

I think cannabis can be a great thing, for playing fast, as well as slow. And I think it can provide great musical insights, and breakthroughs, in riff and songwriting, but only if one gets stoned, and actually thinks. If you treat it like alcohol, that won’t happen. I actually do know about Uillean pipes, and the tuning of great highland pipes, but that’s because I took a “world music” class, at community college, it was, by far, the most valuable thing I ever got, out of any school, and it opened my ears, to different musical ideas.

I think you’re right though. Most people can’t understand that others will have different musical tastes, and that it can just be different, not better or worse, and it’s best not to try and argue with them. On the other hand, I guess it would be cool to actually get sued, by some moral panickers. It might be a fun way to get attention, although, it’s extremely unlikely.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:52 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Ha, I just noticed I made someone's sig, yentass at the top of this page. :lol: Though my quote is only to put the other person's response into context, but still.

I definitely felt like I'd made it when I appeared in someone's sig. I'm just glad that this board doesn't have notifications for quotes turned on, that'd be misery :lol:

Tekdeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:31 pm 

Anyone else here own/play a kalimba? Recently discovered the instrument and it's incredibly relaxing and easy to play. It's really easy to change the tuning entirely, which allows for a lot of interesting experimentation. Slap on a piezo pickup and plug it into some pedals and an amp, lots of possibilities.

I might even buy a single coil guitar pickup and install it under the tines, probably allows for some cool shit, like idk kalimba pinch harmonics or something.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:35 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
MRmehman wrote:
Hexenmacht46290 wrote:

Grandmother, not mother. She does kind of fit the definition of “poser,” however. She was, both one who hates all music made after their own twenties, and uses ANUSite-like reasoning, to declare unliked music “not real music(rather than just saying “I don’t like it”),” and a technically skilled classical musician, and music teacher.

If you have elderly relatives, on Facebook, you might be familiar, with the phenomenon, of declaring that there haven’t been any good albums, bands, or even shows, worth going to, since the 70s, and indeed, no one under 65 could possibly have any good taste in music. She was basically that, except, born in 1919.

That's badass, I think I completely understand what you mean there. Reminds me a bit of my own grandmother.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:18 am 

A recent firefox update changed the word 'back' on the right-click commands to 'backwards'

WHY ?! God that's a small but incredibly annoying change. Years up on years of looking at the work 'back', and now it's different. My brain can't cope :lol:

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:35 am 

Not every day you get a metal cover of a mainstream genre song with the original vocalist, but Trivium frontman Matt Heafy just collaborated with Richard Marx in that way:

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:44 pm 

I just found out that if you search up "Witchmoon vs Grollfried" on Google, my review for the album shows up. Now that's pretty bonkers :drool:

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:22 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
I just found out that if you search up "Witchmoon vs Grollfried" on Google, my review for the album shows up. Now that's pretty bonkers :drool:

There's a game in there - what's the most horrific MA review that comes up via a search for a given band :D

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:17 pm 

Methuen wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

There's a game in there - what's the most horrific MA review that comes up via a search for a given band :D

Which album review was it where the guy went on about how the dolphin does not want it? Because that should be that band's first result, in a just world.

MARK9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:26 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Which album review was it where the guy went on about how the dolphin does not want it? Because that should be that band's first result, in a just world.

It was a broken english angry rebuttal about a rejected Sabbath Bloody Sabbath review:

https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?p=2568690#p2568690

(spoilered)

I also find the last sentence funny, because as someone else said, it starts somewhat polite and calm, but then it ends in "I'll jump over to your home fucking fucking and fucking fuck hole bye", which doesn't really mean anything...

CAAdhAcC wrote:
Accept my other thoughts please, or I'll jump over to your home fucking fucking and fucking fuck hole bye.

Gunslinger21, on playing black metal at a lower bitrate, wrote:
Mate, if you're not playing your BM in 8-bit then you are just a fucking poser. Sorry.

Last.fm

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:34 pm 

MARK9000 wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

It was a broken english angry rebuttal about a rejected Sabbath Bloody Sabbath review:

(spoilered)

I also find the last sentence funny, because as someone else said, it starts somewhat polite and calm, but then it ends in "I'll jump over to your home fucking fucking and fucking fuck hole bye", which doesn't really mean anything...

CAAdhAcC wrote:
Accept my other thoughts please, or I'll jump over to your home fucking fucking and fucking fuck hole bye.

Always listen to the dolphin ...

on a different and rather disgusting side note:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jun/15/scientists-convert-used-plastic-bottles-into-vanilla-flavouring
Quote:
Plastic bottles have been converted into vanilla flavouring using genetically engineered bacteria, the first time a valuable chemical has been brewed from waste plastic.

It is not the first time that some other material is used to "create" vanilla flavouring. We really have terrible taste buds.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:34 pm 

MARK9000 wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

(spoilered)

CAAdhAcC wrote:

:lol: :ah-ha: Still one of my favorite reviews from the Crappy Diem thread.

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:45 pm 

Hey I wonder if anyone has done weird random colors here for no reason before?

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:40 am 

Just had someone senior to me at work use the Nuremburg defence for something stupid I've picked up in their processes. I'm not sure 'it's fine, here's the bit of paper that I'm following to the letter with no thought to context or consequence' is ever a good argument. Sometimes it's fun understanding how things work, sometimes it's really, really frustrating. The word 'sheeple' almost came out :lol:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:03 pm 

I would totally use the Nuremburg defense at work. Well, a variant of it, anyway:

"I don't get paid enough to question someone else's work."
or
"I don't get paid enough to question my task."

Death By Wall of Text
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:33 pm 

It's amazing and depressing how common that mindset actually is. My current company has an almost hippie approach to such things and loves innovation (which also gets chaotic and frustrating on the other hand but oh well), but in both my previous jobs I've definitely not helped myself by questioning mind-numbingly dumb and inefficient processes and trying to push through an alternative that was less dumb. It can be infuriating and depressing how many people would rather waste tons of time and energy (and dignity) over taking the slightest risk to change "the order".

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:18 pm 

When is the Nuremberg defense actually considered a “Nuremberg defense,” except at those actual trials. I don’t know where you work, but I’ve never experienced an institution, work, school, government offices, or private business, where logic and reason was ever considered more important than some asshole having authority. Maybe I’m over generalizing, but off the top of my head, I just can’t think of an example I’ve witnessed. Don’t get me wrong, if it’s bad for business, it’ll get changed, but that’s almost always done in secret, or with them stealing your idea. It’s much more common for people to use gaslighter excuses, even lying to themselves.

Come to think of it, if someone with authority is willing to think for themselves, I’ve only ever seen it, in the form of them not enforcing rules, like police not taking peoples’ cannabis, putting it back in their pockets, and saying nothing. If they got their authority challenged, they would never do that.

Methuen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:42 am 

Honestly - cats are easier to wrangle than grown adults with computers sometimes :lol: Just always wrecks my mind that people will decide that "ah, this is wrong, I have no personal investment in this, but is indeed the hill I will die on today".

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
When is the Nuremberg defense actually considered a “Nuremberg defense,” except at those actual trials. I don’t know where you work, but I’ve never experienced an institution, work, school, government offices, or private business, where logic and reason was ever considered more important than some asshole having authority.

Done my time in those places - Local government here are absolutely shocking for that kind of thing - I used to temp for our local council, and the attitude was all-pervasive; "It's done this way because I (and my expensive BMW lease payments) like it done this way". A lot of our local councils absorb all the worst bits of US corporate bullshittery actually, it's comical - some middle manager in a town in the back end of nowhere giving it the full New York CEO routine :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298  Next