Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:11 am 

I mean, a pretty key part of the Nuremberg defence is using 'just following orders' to defend committing wrongful and/or criminal actions. While that certainly is the way in which it gets used in some cases in the workplace, "just following orders" is a perfectly legitimate defense when it comes to orders that are legally and morally okay, just also very dumb, ineffective or otherwise flawed.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:56 am 

camjr01 wrote:
Hey I wonder if anyone has done weird random colors here for no reason before?

Please don't.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:05 am 

AddWittyUsername wrote:
I mean, a pretty key part of the Nuremberg defence is using 'just following orders' to defend committing wrongful and/or criminal actions. While that certainly is the way in which it gets used in some cases in the workplace, "just following orders" is a perfectly legitimate defense when it comes to orders that are legally and morally okay, just also very dumb, ineffective or otherwise flawed.

The problem is when it becomes a giant cancer. Forcing already overworked employees to follow dumb and ineffective procedures and (often indirectly) punishing everyone who disagrees is not morally okay in my book, and that's often what it boils down to - managers often uphold it because they either don't care or it's easier for them, most employees don't oppose it because taking any risk whatsoever is just too inconvenient, and usually those who are actually at a breaking point end up snapping.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:24 am 

Death By Wall of Text wrote:
AddWittyUsername wrote:

The problem is when it becomes a giant cancer. Forcing already overworked employees to follow dumb and ineffective procedures and (often indirectly) punishing everyone who disagrees is not morally okay in my book, and that's often what it boils down to - managers often uphold it because they either don't care or it's easier for them, most employees don't oppose it because taking any risk whatsoever is just too inconvenient, and usually those who are actually at a breaking point end up snapping.

Oh yes, when it gets to that point, it absolutely isn't morally ok in my book either.

The blame just actually should be on the folks giving those orders and the folks causing the toxic culture that makes people afraid to go against orders--not the low(er)-level employees who are 'just following orders' out of self-protection. Whereas with a true Nuremberg defense, the folks following those orders should also be held at fault due to the nature of what they've been ordered to do.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:33 am 

Yeah, I get what you mean, it's just that it gets slightly blurry at a certain point. In my case, it was a culture absolutely everyone knew was toxic and mentally destructive, the employees supposedly also on my level but with a much more comfortable position did absolutely nothing to speak out against it, while I and in both cases 1-2 other people were barely keeping it together. In one of those cases, after I started speaking out, some of them turned against me. I definitely agree with holding the higher ups responsible first, but at a certain point the responsibility also begins to, uh, trickle down somewhat when everyone knows things are unacceptable and some are in a better position to stand up than others (but don't).

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:46 am 

Yeah, I think we're actually in agreement, just coming at it from opposite sides of the equation. Because you're absolutely right, things can get blurry when it comes to this and the world absolutely would be a better place if everyone who could safely stand up against injustice (whichever form it may take) actually did so.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:18 pm 

Saw a missed opportunity in the local music store yesterday. They carry t-shirts, mostly music related ones, but I noticed yesterday they now carry Black Lives Matter shirts. However, this one was not present:

Come on man, if you're a music store carrying BLM shirts, you gotta carry the Master of Reality font one. Am I wrong?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:01 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Saw a missed opportunity in the local music store yesterday. They carry t-shirts, mostly music related ones, but I noticed yesterday they now carry Black Lives Matter shirts. However, this one was not present:

Spoiler: show

Come on man, if you're a music store carrying BLM shirts, you gotta carry the Master of Reality font one. Am I wrong?

That's easily the best BLM merch I've seen if we're gonna be honest.
camjr01 wrote:
Hey I wonder if anyone has done weird random colors here for no reason before?

Jesus Christ... :ugh:

And I thought my signature was bad!

Getitback2u
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:26 pm 

I've been listening to https://sallah.bandcamp.com/album/fortune-and-glory in honor of Raiders of the Lost Ark's 40th Anniversary (June 15th, 1981) and the fact that they started filming Indiana Jones 5 earlier this month. Hopefully they Don't fuck this one up like they did last time.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:57 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Spoiler: show

Awesome idea, and it looks cool.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:58 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Jesus Christ... :ugh:

It is

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:38 pm 

Have people already discussed the almost impossibly adorable kitten born without a butthole, that Toronto residents successfully rallied to save?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:10 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Have people already discussed the almost impossibly adorable kitten born without a butthole, that Toronto residents successfully rallied to save?

Didn't think I'd learn about a cat that was born without a butthole in the Metal Archive forums of all places, but ngl it was pretty wholesome to see the Toronto community team up to save her :-P :thumbsup:

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:06 am 

darkeningday wrote:

Great news the kitten was saved, but reading the article, I can't help but wonder...

How the f* does someone not notice a kitten never poops & doesn't have an asshole for eight weeks? Yeah, the first almost two weeks I could see, because recommendations are to touch kittens as little as possible while their eyes are still closed and that can take up to 12 days, but eight weeks?

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:55 am 

Yeah, when we got our second cat, he was about the size of my palm - I've never seen such a small creature produce so much toxic horror fluid. That's someone that's never been around an animal is all I can think.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:14 pm 

AddWittyUsername wrote:
the first almost two weeks I could see, because recommendations are to touch kittens as little as possible

Assuming you're giving solo care to a very young kitten, it's standard procedure to massage their tummies to help them poop, stimulate them near their genital area to help them pee, and to pat their backs to help them burp. No idea how those rescue fellows work or if she was under their care. It could be that they were relying on a lactating mother cat to do everything and missed that detail.

AddWittyUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:02 pm 

kingnuuuur wrote:
It could be that they were relying on a lactating mother cat to do everything and missed that detail.

Could be, hence why I figure those first two weeks *may* be understandable depending on how things were set up (which we just don't know, so for simplicity I'll assume it was some kind of situation where it *wasn't* solo care) but the six weeks after that?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:22 pm 

Just bought my first pair of budget audiophile open-back wired headphones, the Phillips SHP9600. I know they lack the precision of the SHP9500 and, of course, expensive headphones, but I want fun and warmth rather than precision because I'm not a mixer. Curious to hear how they deal with metal.

My only "good" headphones right now are the AKG Y50bt, and the on-ear hurts my ears and the bass is almost as obnoxious as Beats. I'll still use them for the gym since they're wireless.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:44 pm 

Slater922 wrote:

Why did you put it in those colours?

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:53 pm 

Invocation wrote:
Slater922 wrote:

Why did you put it in those colours?

To be fair, I made that signature when I was very new into the forums. I made it a color vomit as a way to make my posts stand out from the rest. Looking back at it, though, my signature definitely needs a redo :ugh:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:14 pm 

People here tend to like when I talk about my strength sports pursuits, so here’s a big ass post about what I had to do today.

I did a refeed today after cutting weight for a strongman competition I’m doing tomorrow, and I figured you all would find my food list from today interesting. Therefore, here is my refeed in full:

Liquids (overall just under 2 gallons in total):

-1.25 gallons of water
-1 litre of Pedialyte
-1 30oz Coke
-1 16oz Diet Mountain Dew
-1 8oz orange juice

Solids (ice cream is included):

-1 sausage McGriddle from McDonald’s
-1 Doritos Locos Taco from Taco Bell
-1 Reese’s sundae from Hershey’s Shake Shop
-The remainder of my wife’s M&M shake from Hershey’s (about 1/4 of the shake left when I got it)
-20 nuggets from Burger King
-1 bag of Doritos
-1 vodka rigatoni from Uno
-1 10 inch cheese pizza, also from Uno
-The entire snack tray in the Airbnb I’m in, consisting of snack size bags and packs of Lays chips, Goldfish, Oreos, and Chips Ahoy

No earthly idea what the calorie count on this is, but if I had to guesstimate, based on calorie counts found online and some guesswork, I’d say that I consumed just over 6300 calories today. I spread this throughout about 14 hours, meaning I feel totally good, with no gastrointestinal distress, nausea, or indigestion felt at all (although I am so bloated that I look like I’m gonna give birth). This is all fine if you know what you’re doing, and it’s ultimately the only way to really replenish yourself after a water cut. I cut about 4% of my bodyweight for this comp, barely under the level that doctors say is dangerous, but, as said, if you know what you’re doing, you can make it through a weight cut without any real lasting side effects.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:34 am 

Today, me and my family are gonna be going to Disney World for the weekend, and during today's trip to Magic Kingdom, I'll be wearing my Deicide shirt. Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:52 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Today, me and my family are gonna be going to Disney World for the weekend, and during today's trip to Magic Kingdom, I'll be wearing my Deicide shirt. Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

Good luck ! I was on a flight home from Orlando in 2020 just as the pandemic struck; it was filled with evacuees from Disney - a 747 jammed full with disappointed 10 year olds was something to behold (and the cabin crew were very stingy with the wine) :lol:

Today we're finishing our greenhouse ! Done the whole thing by hand - foundation digging, concrete mixing, drainage laying, and so on. By the time it's gotten to laying the slab floor & fitting the autovents, I can really see why there's a market for professional 'greenhouse installers' !

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:03 pm 

Subrick wrote:

Liquids (overall just under 2 gallons in total):

-1.25 gallons of water
-1 litre of Pedialyte
-1 30oz Coke
-1 16oz Diet Mountain Dew
-1 8oz orange juice

Solids (ice cream is included):

-1 sausage McGriddle from McDonald’s
-1 Doritos Locos Taco from Taco Bell
-1 Reese’s sundae from Hershey’s Shake Shop
-The remainder of my wife’s M&M shake from Hershey’s (about 1/4 of the shake left when I got it)
-20 nuggets from Burger King
-1 bag of Doritos
-1 vodka rigatoni from Uno
-1 10 inch cheese pizza, also from Uno
-The entire snack tray in the Airbnb I’m in, consisting of snack size bags and packs of Lays chips, Goldfish, Oreos, and Chips Ahoy

What weight class are you competing in? Seeing all that makes me glad that I’m not trying to make weight and compete in anything. I sweat all day at work, and struggle to stay hydrated. Good luck in your competition.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:36 pm 

I did this show in the 231 lbs. weight class (novice, not open middleweight, although I intend to move to open middleweight after this and that was a stated desire of mine for after this show anyway). The refeed, while massive and possibly a bit too much, worked, as I ended up near the top 5 in this show.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:42 am 

That horrible morning realisation - you can smell the cat's litter tray through the door to the room where it lives. Whoever said 'cats are clean animals' never lived with them !

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:30 pm 

Methuen wrote:
That horrible morning realisation - you can smell the cat's litter tray through the door to the room where it lives. Whoever said 'cats are clean animals' never lived with them !

Sounds like you need to scoop more often. You're really supposed to scoop out the litter box every day. And each litter box should support 2 cats maximum. Be glad they poop in a box where they can bury it as opposed to, y'know, all over the place like dogs will when you're asleep or away.

Also, clumping litter >>>>>> that useless non-clumping garbage. Arm & Hammer Double Duty--that's the stuff you want.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:00 pm 

Oh they get it cleaned out every morning, washed clean & all. Sometimes we'll clean it during the day again if they'r particularly stinky. Still, most morning ? It smells like the two of them have had a curry and whiskey feast or someting.

Damn right on dogs though, I've successfully kept my wife from getting one to this point, not sure how long it'll last though :lol:

Invocation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:12 pm 

Why bother with pets at all? Cleaning up after an animal sounds like unnecessary hassle to me.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:32 pm 

It's like having children, except pets are less costly, less messy, less destructive, less likely to ruin your life, and less likely to make you want to throw them out a window.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:42 pm 

Invocation wrote:
Why bother with pets at all? Cleaning up after an animal sounds like unnecessary hassle to me.

All the dogs I’ve ever had, were better to spend time with than my shit head coworkers, or even relatives.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:27 am 

Slater922 wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Didn't think I'd learn about a cat that was born without a butthole in the Metal Archive forums of all places, but ngl it was pretty wholesome to see the Toronto community team up to save her :-P :thumbsup:

Why? This is the internet, and two of the most adored topics on the internet are butts and kittens.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:26 pm 

Tonight's entertainment is brought to you (or me) by the new Darkthrone album, and by a tin of woodfiller with a smell so strong I'm pretty sure it'd be illegal for under 18s to buy in a shop. Can't hurt the enjoyment of the music ! (while I take advantage of some sun & sort out some worn window frames, not just sniffing it).

Also, we've got our 'get back to the office' notice come through; our firm is going to pay lip service to environmentalism and mental health, and make thousands get back to commuting soon. The bastards. Time to stop procrastinating and finish off the jobs around the hosue then !

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:56 pm 

Invocation wrote:

brb banning this account that's clearly a robot

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

SuperVeji4
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:42 am 

I find myself really down lately, and it's mostly because of this interview I saw with that North Korean defector Yeonmi Park on the Lex Fridman podcast. Lex Fridman's grandmother is apparently a survivor of the Holodomor in Ukraine, and hearing Park stating that that's what's essentially happening in North Korea today made my blood run cold. But what really struck my heart is how Park states that she is receiving mostly indifference from her statements (and sometimes downright hostility, and accusations of falsehood and over-exaggeration). We're told that the human race reacted with indifference and doubt when they first heard of the Holocaust in WWII, and here we are again, a Holocaust-like event is taking place, and yet again the human race is reacting with indifference and doubt once more. There's a lot when it comes to what I felt and thought throughout that 2-hour interview, but by the end of it I was fucking weeping....

Here's the interview for those who may be interested:

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 pm 

I finally got a new computer today. I guess I can retire my 11 year old oversized toaster now. I'm amazed that thing lasted for so long.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:10 pm 

Death Mantra wrote:
I finally got a new computer today. I guess I can retire my 11 year old oversized toaster now. I'm amazed that thing lasted for so long.

The longest I've lasted with a computer was 4 years. I can't imagine using one for over a decade.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:13 pm 

The stupid thing is, mine still works ok and runs what I want it to run. If it wasn't for Windows 7 being retired, I'd be using this thing for several more years. Most of the games I play these days my machine can still handle (I tend to play indie games these days and they're not very resource-demanding). The main thing that spurred me to upgrade is (besides my paranoia of Windows 7 being a security risk) is a lot of games have Windows 10 as a base requirement now.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:40 am 

Slater922 wrote:
Death Mantra wrote:

The longest I've lasted with a computer was 4 years. I can't imagine using one for over a decade.

I got my last laptop (pre-owned, mind you) over half your life ago, lol. The only reason I got a new one was because I looked at my bank account and saw way, way more money than I had expected after tax time and figured I could use my discount at work to get something that doesn't crash when three tabs are open. If I'm not still using this one at least eight years from now I will consider it a bad investment.

I actually do this with basically everything and it drives my wife absolutely crazy. I blame it on the fact that I grew up not necessarily poor, but with basically exactly enough money to buy one nice thing per year and then never replace anything else. So to this day I will use things until they crumble to dust. My last computer chair only got replaced when it ran out of leather but even then I put up a fight about it because I could still sit on that heap of bare cushion on a pole. My TV is so borked that it doesn't recognize remotes anymore and it takes upwards of six attempts to actually turn on when the power button is pressed, but hey man one out of six times it still works fine so screw you I'm not buying a new one. My last pair of shoes lasted nearly seven years, had holes my toes could stick out of, and only got replaced when I started dating my now-wife and she was horrified to learn that I dressed like a 1950's cartoon hobo.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:28 pm 

I've had my current PC for just a little over 5 years at this point. I hope it'll keep on truckin', because I'm broke as shit.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299 ... 332  Next