Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:58 pm 

I can't be bothered to make a new thread for this so here's a general question: what formats do you use to primarily listen to music? Vinyl, CD, tape, FLACs, streaming?

I've been thinking a bit about this after realising that while I have a lot of CDs on my shelves, half the time I'm playing FLAC files and the rest of the time I'm usually playing something off Youtube. I have some nice LPs but with my turntable out of commission at present (no space to set it up) they're not getting much use either.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:42 pm 

I still buy CDs, but I haven't actually played one in a decade. I rip everything to FLAC and listen to those when on the computer. When not on my computer, I use my mp3 player (which is 12 or so years old and I seriously need to replace it). Sometimes I use spotify or youtube for researching new albums.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:43 pm 

I have iTunes and rip CDs and downloads to that, and keep em in folders on my computer I can transport via USB and such. I also plan to get a thing to play CDs in my apartment so as to justify having them now.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:51 pm 

Yeah, similar pattern to myself. I got a 1TB external HD to rip all my albums in FLAC format onto. It's a very boring task though.

LithoJazzoSphere
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:12 pm 

A bit of everything, really. At the computer it's streaming and digital files (FLAC, MP3s), sometimes vinyl. In the car I use CDs. When I'm moving around in the house or out it's either podcasts or more digital files. Every once in awhile I'll bust out some cassettes or mini-discs.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:28 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I have iTunes and rip CDs and downloads to that, and keep em in folders on my computer I can transport via USB and such. I also plan to get a thing to play CDs in my apartment so as to justify having them now.

Same - iTunes still gets a lot of grief, but it's a very solid, stable program & I like the standard format (album art browsing) rather than an old-school library browser.

I have my turntable & some bluetooth speakers (not the smart kind) in a couple of rooms, so we're pretty much set up for music all over the house. My wife has an ancient Philips portable that does for CD / radio outside.

Thinking of iTunes though - Things That Teach You Patience no.456: People that capitalise 'of' in song titles & submit that to gracenote. Come the revolution, first against the wall....

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:12 am 

Methuen wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Same - iTunes still gets a lot of grief, but it's a very solid, stable program & I like the standard format (album art browsing) rather than an old-school library browser.

I guess I just never had any problems with iTunes. I'm pretty low maintenance with music. I used to hear a lot of shit about iTunes but it always did what I wanted, so whatever.

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:44 pm 

I buy CDs, and I also use youtube a lot when scavenging for new music.
Youtube's recommendations work really well for me. Thanks to that I've been getting heavily into neo-prog lately.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:12 pm 

Bandcamp is an honest godsent. Amazing quality streams, low prices, bands get a large share of sales and best of all there's no adverts! I've never used iTunes before and I heard they slowly stripped out or hid features like burning discs. I'm sure it's fine as a service but its never really appealed to me.

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:04 pm 

Robby Steinhardt, from the band Kansas (the bearded overall violinist) has passed away from pancreatitis. I was never their biggest fan, but I did like some of their music. What amazes me is as I get older, the people I grew up with are passing away. I remember that happening to my Father and really thinking about it. I am getting so old, that the people I grew up with are getting much older than me. They are one by one passing away
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:00 pm 

I'm surprised how many obscure bands I've discovered via youtube's recommendations (which I probably wouldn't have found otherwise). I just wish there was a way to filter out irrelevant crap that I have zero interest in.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:08 pm 

Second chapter is officially up. Hooray!

Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:40 am 

Death Mantra wrote:
I'm surprised how many obscure bands I've discovered via youtube's recommendations (which I probably wouldn't have found otherwise). I just wish there was a way to filter out irrelevant crap that I have zero interest in.

It's just me or the algorhytm behind those recommendations became worse in the last years?
Now when i'm checking out a lesser known album i pretty much only get suggestions for stuff i've already listened or made by very popular bands of that genre. I remember being able to find a bunch of obscure stuff with much less hassle

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:59 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Death Mantra wrote:

It's just me or the algorhytm behind those recommendations became worse in the last years?
Now when i'm checking out a lesser known album i pretty much only get suggestions for stuff i've already listened or made by very popular bands of that genre. I remember being able to find a bunch of obscure stuff with much less hassle

Same here. Yesterday, I got recommended The Eating Cave's "Sadistic Entanglement", which I thought was gonna be some cool bestial black/war metal judging by the cover, but it turned out to be deathcore!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:41 am 

MRmehman wrote:
Bandcamp is an honest godsent. Amazing quality streams, low prices, bands get a large share of sales and best of all there's no adverts! I've never used iTunes before and I heard they slowly stripped out or hid features like burning discs. I'm sure it's fine as a service but its never really appealed to me.

Yup. Best music service IMO. I get mad when bands aren't on it lol

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:32 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
MRmehman wrote:

Yup. Best music service IMO. I get mad when bands aren't on it lol

Not to mention when bands/albums are on it and then disappear from it.

raumr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:26 pm 

I know it's not primarily a streaming service, but it would be nice to be able to make playlists of the music that you own. That's my only minor criticism. I know one can download them and make playlists with other software.

~Guest 1129985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:00 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Death Mantra wrote:

The search engine is pretty erratic. The first few entries are what I wanted, but the remainder have jack shit to do with what I searched for. I do find some useful stuff via recommended videos, but I do get a lot of crap too. I'm assuming its similar to last.fm where the same videos viewed by certain people may get recommended. At any rate, I still find a few bands that I like via that (enough to validate its usefulness), but I still get enough crap where it becomes quite frustrating.

I hope last.fm doesn't go tits up, its still a useful tool for strip-mining unfamiliar genres/scenes.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:52 am 

In the worthwhile albums thread there is some talk of a new band called Wizardthrone that apparently sounds a lot like Bal-Sagoth. Am I the only one that based on that name alone, would've bet their whole life savings on that they would be an Electric Wizard copy band of the worst kind? But they closely follow Bal-Sagoth instead????

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:56 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
In the worthwhile albums thread there is some talk of a new band called Wizardthrone that apparently sounds a lot like Bal-Sagoth. Am I the only one that based on that name alone, would've bet their whole life savings on that they would be an Electric Wizard copy band of the worst kind? But they closely follow Bal-Sagoth instead????

I dunno, but apparently it's another project from that Alestorm guy, and based on how much I hate his other shit I doubt I'd like this either.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:20 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Death Mantra wrote:

The easiest lifehack you can have with Youtube is to make a separate account only for heavymetal. problem with having only one main account that spreads across interests is the recommendations begin to bloat with useless stuff that youtube 'thinks' you might like based on the mishmash of stuff you have watched. My main account is useless for strategic recommendations as my subscriptions go from paleontology, to GtaRP vids, to ancient History, to BMX/skateboarding channels. Youtube gets pretty dumb at that point trying to mix all those together into relevant recommendations.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:09 pm 

Just submitted my first review in 14 years, about an album that has bugged me since its release in 2008. Hope I didn't mess it up too much.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:58 pm 

Yayyyy Chapter Threeeeeee...

Hexenmacht46290
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:10 pm 

If someone tells you “check this out, it sucks,” for something on YouTube, or, if you’re opening one of the embedded videos in the “worst songs you’ve ever heard” thread, always do it in a private tab. One of my friends didn’t understand this, and was foolish enough to look up information about internet subcultures, on YouTube, and ended up getting recommended stuff from “incel TV.” That’s even worse than it recommending me false metal.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:51 pm 

Yayyyyy Chapter Foooouuuurrrrr...

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:46 am 

watching the judo olympic competition and I just realized it is taking place where Deep Purple recorded Made in Japan in 1972 (one of the places)

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:44 am 

Annnnnnnnnd I just found out about a band called Smoking Sabbath and their new album Bongzilla, they're death/groove metal???????? No stoner, sludge, or doom in their genre?

Maybe I should start a symphonic power metal band called Under Transilvanian Hunger. I mean why not?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:43 pm 

And now I've got Chapter Five up and running.

At this point, who cares? My competition is a joke. It doesn't matter. I've just gotta write anything. Anything! It's fine! Just write anything! Go go go!

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:06 am 

I thought this was interesting. The worlds first 3D printed bridge, has been opened to the public. Located in Amsterdam and weighing in at 4.9 tons.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/worlds-first-3d-printed-steel-bridge-weighing-49-tons-opens-to-public-in-amsterdam/ar-AAMu29G?li=BBnbfcL
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:51 am 

There have been a lot of big name musician deaths announced in consecutive days.... Mike Howe, Joey Jordison, Dusty Hill.... It feels like I may be forgetting one.

oldmetalhead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:06 pm 

From Mike Portney's FB post today--Damn…it’s been a BRUTAL month for musician deaths…Heaven has just obtained the most eclectic band ever assembled this month:
RIP Joey Jordison - Drums (Slipknot)
RIP Dusty Hill - Bass (ZZ Top)
RIP Mike Howe - Vocals (Metal Church)
RIP Jeff LaBar - Guitar (Cinderella)
RIP Gary Corbett - Keys (Cinderella)
RIP Robby Steinhardt - Violin (Kansas)
RIP Biz Markie - Legendary Rapper

Opus
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:45 pm 

There have been a lot of big name musician deaths announced in consecutive days.... Mike Howe, Joey Jordison, Dusty Hill.... It feels like I may be forgetting one.

Jeff LaBar from Cinderella July 14
John Lawton June 29
Johnny Solinger June 26

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:43 pm 

Opus wrote:

Jeff LaBar from Cinderella July 14
John Lawton June 29
Johnny Solinger June 26

I mean literally consecutive days. I go to MA and see Mike Howe died. The next day I go on facebook and see Joey Jordison died. The next day i go on facebook and see Dusty Hill died.

Not sure if I mixed that order of Mike and Joey up.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:43 am 

Finally home after a few days near Glastonbury (the town, not the festival, could never afford the festival even if it was running). I met a relic from the New Age Traveller scene of the 70s / 80s, all patch jacket, knackered camper, and heavy tan. Complemented me on my Michael Moorcock book & challenged me on which I'd read :lol: "Michael Moorcock was in Hawkwind, did you know that ?" Glad to see they never die :D (though on reflection, he must have been about 70 and had no teeth, so who knows)

Also came away with some Thin Lizzy LPs, a Fairport LP, a book on obscure saints, some incense, and a strange desire to live in a van and listen to Gong for the rest of my life.

The one thing that puts me off actually doing it is the way that the British government have effectively outlawed nomadic living since the 90s; some of the lawmaking and sneaky behaviour would make the Chinese proud.

Keep paying the mortgage, citizen !

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:11 pm 

It's against forum rules to necropost right? It seems to be happening a lot lately, I just saw a thread from 2017 on the front page. I understand it if you have an important update or something of substance to add to the disscusion but all the recent replies were like a single line just saying: "Yeah, that sure is a thing." Did I dream this rule up? Is it better to play thread necromancer if you want to add something important or should you just start a new one?
oldmetalhead wrote:
From Mike Portney's FB post today--Damn…it’s been a BRUTAL month for musician deaths…Heaven has just obtained the most eclectic band ever assembled this month:
RIP Joey Jordison - Drums (Slipknot)
RIP Dusty Hill - Bass (ZZ Top)
RIP Mike Howe - Vocals (Metal Church)
RIP Jeff LaBar - Guitar (Cinderella)
RIP Gary Corbett - Keys (Cinderella)
RIP Robby Steinhardt - Violin (Kansas)
RIP Biz Markie - Legendary Rapper

If this was a band line-up, what genre would they play? I think they'd have a pretty interesting sound.

As someone else said, it's really sad to see that so many of these names aren't of particularly venerable musicians. Poor Joey was still in his 40's.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:19 pm 

MRmehman wrote:
It's against forum rules to necropost right? It seems to be happening a lot lately, I just saw a thread from 2017 on the front page. I understand it if you have an important update or something of substance to add to the disscusion but all the recent replies were like a single line just saying: "Yeah, that sure is a thing." Did I dream this rule up? Is it better to play thread necromancer if you want to add something important or should you just start a new one?

There's an old "favorite choruses" thread I'd have to search for, I don't remember from what year it was, but definitely last decade, that I want to necrobump because I recently found one I wasn't previously familiar with that I am really falling in love with, but due to necrobumping being very frowned upon by the mods (if not against the rules straight up) I don't think I should.

The chorus by the way is Atlantean Kodex - Twelve Stars and an Azure Gown

Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:37 pm 

You can report necro posts. Either we'll lock the thread if it's something pretty inane, or leave it be if there's potential for new discussion.

Death By Wall of Text
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:02 pm 

I'm in late stages of recording/mixing/writing (it's complicated) the album for my non-metal project (roughly prog/post-rock) and I'm at that stage when I'm alternating between "YES, THIS FINALLY SOUNDS GREAT" and "existence is pain please make it stop I'm never doing this again" on an about hourly basis. I think the main lesson from this is that I really, really, really should start making it more structured instead of just randomly jumping between stuff the next time.

If you never hear from me again, it's because I tried to eat my keyboard while EQing the vocals for the 376th time.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:45 pm 

You ever get that feeling some things are fated, in ways one can't explain........... they just seem destined to play out that way.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:30 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Second chapter is officially up. Hooray!

Zelkiiro wrote:

Zelkiiro wrote:

Zelkiiro wrote:
And now I've got Chapter Five up and running.

At this point, who cares? My competition is a joke. It doesn't matter. I've just gotta write anything. Anything! It's fine! Just write anything! Go go go!

Just read them. You write well. :) Why is your competition a joke?

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
You ever get that feeling some things are fated, in ways one can't explain........... they just seem destined to play out that way.

This sounds like you're talking about something very specific...?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 295, 296, 297, 298, 299, 300, 301  Next