* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:07 pm 

From ZZ Top's Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ZZTop/posts/366897681466461

Quote:
"We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, TX. We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top'. We will forever be connected to that "Blues Shuffle in C.”

You will be missed greatly, amigo.

Frank & Billy

GOD FUCKING DAMN IT :'(

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:10 pm 

The hits really just keep fucking coming this week, don't they?
RIP.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:10 pm 

That’s four musicians in one month.

For fucks sake, someone please put Rob Halford in a plastic bubble :(

BongoFury
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:53 pm 

Very sad news. I learnt how to improve my bass playing by listening to Tres Hombres. Dusty's one of my favourite bass players.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:00 pm 

This year started off really poorly and then seemed to level off for awhile. Now it's heading back down the drain again. I wasn't a huge ZZ Top fan, but I did like some of their material, so this is certainly quite a loss. And keeping the same trio mostly together for half a century is quite a remarkable achievement. RIP.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:36 pm 

Was just playing Eliminator this week - fantastic stuff. I kept meaning to get more of their shit. RIP.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:46 pm 

Saw them live in 2005 at an outdoor summer festival and they rocked so much. Glad I was able to see these legends.

R.I.P.
Fire walk with me"

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:24 pm 

Damn. One of the finest trios just...ever!
This is insane. R.I.P Dusty.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:44 pm 

I just can't believe it, not Dusty...

This is a bad fucking week indeed.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:15 am 

really fun live show, was able to see them once and they rocked it. RIP Dusty

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:00 am 

R.I.P. Dusty. ZZ Top always had a special charm of its own. Since we're on MA, this may be a good time to remember how they were once considered a pretty heavy band, pretty much part of the mandatory listening for the proto-metalheads of the 70s.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:38 am 

R.I.P.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:48 am 

What's everyone's favorite ZZ Top album? I've always thought Deguello was the best one (with the single most underrated ZZ Top song of all time, "Esther be the One"). Next in line would be Tres Hombres, Eliminator and Fandango! Lately, I've really developed a fondness for the laid back grooves of Tejas. That'd be by top 5, I guess.

Man, they were an awesome band with plenty of great deep cuts. Martin Popoff swears by some of their later records, I guess I'll have to check out those at some point too.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:20 am 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
What's everyone's favorite ZZ Top album? I've always thought Deguello was the best one (with the single most underrated ZZ Top song of all time, "Esther be the One"). Next in line would be Tres Hombres, Eliminator and Fandango! Lately, I've really developed a fondness for the laid back grooves of Tejas. That'd be by top 5, I guess.

Man, they were an awesome band with plenty of great deep cuts. Martin Popoff swears by some of their later records, I guess I'll have to check out those at some point too.

I like Fandango! because part of it is live and they're a band made for performance - and it's curious they never had an official live album from the 70's. Tres Hombres is my overall favorite though.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:40 am 

Damn, they were supposed to play here but couldn't sue to COVID, I kinda hoped to see them when they'd come back (I think it was planned for 2022, really close to where I live too!). I don't know a lot of their songs but the ones I do I really like, La Grange is definitely in my top 5 non-metal songs. Really sad, especially so close to all the others...

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:17 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:

I probably go with either Fandango or Deguello, but you can't go wrong with anything from the debut up to and including Eliminator. Great band, great attitude, great style. Sucks that Dusty's dead, but I'm sure he had a hell of a life.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:32 pm 

Deguello, Tres Hombres and Eliminator are all great - and I always love how Gimme All Your Lovin' and Sharp Dressed Man are practically the same song. Don't even care. They both kick ass. Fuck man, this sucks.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:20 am 

Really saddened by this, it seems like the end of an era of rock n roll in a way. Just an awesome band through and through, ever reliable and of course with one of the most iconic looks.

Dark_Gnat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:06 pm 

Very bummed by this. ZZ Top was a long-standing kick-ass band, and a favorite for me.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:13 pm 

Tried Deguello over the weekend and that one's definitely a corker. Gonna have to try more of 'em. I forgot I'd heard Tres Hombres too at some point.

Rio Grande Mud is a killer album if you skip the awful first song - eugh. But a lot of the rest is awesome old school rock. "Ko Ko Blue" especially, and "Sure Got Cold..." - both excellent.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Tried Deguello over the weekend and that one's definitely a corker. Gonna have to try more of 'em. I forgot I'd heard Tres Hombres too at some point.

Rio Grande Mud is a killer album if you skip the awful first song - eugh. But a lot of the rest is awesome old school rock. "Ko Ko Blue" especially, and "Sure Got Cold..." - both excellent.

Rio Grande Mud is a pretty good album, though I think it kinda tails off badly. Yeah, "Francine" has questionable lyrics, but it's not a bad tune. Glad to see "Ko Ko Blue" mentioned, that song grooves, I don't hear a lot of people mentioning it.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:22 am 

I never bothered with anything other than the hits after all these years, but I can now say, "Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers" is an awesome song.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:31 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Rio Grande Mud is a pretty good album, though I think it kinda tails off badly. Yeah, "Francine" has questionable lyrics, but it's not a bad tune. Glad to see "Ko Ko Blue" mentioned, that song grooves, I don't hear a lot of people mentioning it.

The music on Francine isn't unlistenable but it's clearly lesser than the rest of the album for me... simpler and more bouncy and banal. And lyrically just cinches me hating it honestly.

Just bought Fandango blind and this fucking kills. Like the Warlord debut, more fucking bands should just record themselves live, it's lightning in a bottle stuff, just excellent energy.

Reply to topic