Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:08 pm 

Setting aside metal and rock for now, which more or less all of us love to varying degrees, what are your primary two other musical scenes to listen to? Name three or so favorites in each.

My first is electronic music generally. It has an even larger and more bewildering subgenre matrix than metal does, and I like many different pockets of it, but some invigorate me more than others. In the last few years I've really been taken by the whole synthwave movement, particularly the darksynth end of it. An example artist would be Perturbator, who is quite a wizard with synth programming and arrangements, and manages to corral a lot of great vocal and other collaborators to lend their talents to his efforts. For a decade before that I was really absorbed in a lot of material that was somewhere in the range of electro-industrial and futurepop. A good example would be Mind.In.A.Box, who also have stellar synthesizer work and tantalizing songcraft. Prior to that, I've always been enthralled with darker or more melancholy synthpop, such as Depeche Mode. Dave Gahan's vocals, Martin Gore's songwriting, and Alan Wilder's arrangements were really an unbeatable trio.

The second is jazz. I'm particularly partial to the 50s/60s post-bop/hard bop era, most notably John Coltrane's output at that time (his avant-garde free jazz material at the end of his career is more hit and miss). There's just something about the sound of a tenor saxophone played so skillfully that is really satisfying. I haven't kept up nearly as well with more modern jazz in general, but by far my favorite of more recent times is pianist Aziza Mustafa Zadeh, who should be far more well known than she is. She blends jazz with classical and a native Azerbaijan improvisational style of mugam. There are very few musicians of any genre who never seem to compose or play a wrong note, but she is one of them. In between these eras we have Emily Remler, who has a more captivating style of playing than most other guitarists I've heard, with sublime phrasing and a unique and killer tone.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:16 pm 

You're way more influenced by music than I am and that is saying something.
I like some older country and bluegrass.
I like jazz to wake up to in the morning, it calms me.
Classical music has always been a favorite, my kids were raised on it and they all can play multiple instruments.

I'm just going genre here, if you wanted specific songs/works, I never specify favorites but would have to think hard about it.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:24 pm 

Almost anything under the punk umbrella, barring grunge (even then I think L7 are a pretty badass band). Old fashioned punk rock, hardcore, skate punk, pop punk (mostly the Lookout style stuff or the Lifetime/Jawbreaker-adjacent stuff), post-hardcore, even the dreaded emo (both the "real" stuff from the 90s and some of the mallrat stuff of the 00s - same goes for post-hc). This was the type of music I was most fond of before I got heavily into metal and it's stuck with me all these years, for the most part.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:26 pm 

Skate punk/ska (close enough to be lumped together, I say) and pop--specifically, J-Pop and pop-country from the 50s to the late 90s.

/shrug

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 pm 

I have many musical interests but if I must choose two of them it would definitely be synth-pop and post-punk (typical I know). I guess I prefer non cheery stuff mainly.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 pm 

Punk. I don't know too many bands, but I like a couple of albums a lot, and I've been exploring the genre a bit more these days.

Not a genre per se, but I truly enjoy (some) videogame and anime OSTs, for instance, Samurai Champloo's Soundtrack is one of my all time favorite albums, and one I listen to regularly.

Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:37 pm 

Punk rock is right up there with heavy metal and hard rock
But I'm of the opinion that punk rock and heavy metal are closer siblings than each like to admit, so I'm not sure it should count in this thread.

Synth-heavy genres like krautrock, dub, future funk, House, and synthwave also stand high in my mind.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:49 pm 

Classical music, film scores, and showtunes are the main things I listen to outside of metal and progressive rock. Pretty much anything with an orchestra is easy pickings for me. I enjoy punk as well when I'm in the mood for it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MARK9000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:07 pm 

Isn't punk still a part of rock music in general? Because that would kinda miss the point of the thread...

Anyway, my two favorite music genres completely unrelated to rock music are hip hop, mostly the 1987-1998 era (but I listen to some modern one also), and electronic music, in this case from most eras basically. Otherwise it would be prog rock and punk like some people posted already.

Gunslinger21, on playing black metal at a lower bitrate, wrote:
Mate, if you're not playing your BM in 8-bit then you are just a fucking poser. Sorry.

Last.fm

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:07 pm 

My two favorite non-metal/rock genres would be dungeon synth and rap. I still have a love for rap, even though I spend 90% of my music time with metal, and dungeon synth has some of my favorite ambient pieces of all time. Vaporwave also comes at a close third.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:51 pm 

MARK9000 wrote:
Isn't punk still a part of rock music in general? Because that would kinda miss the point of the thread...

Yeah, it's punk rock. It and its subgenres (hardcore and such), hard, a lot of classic, a lot of alternative, etc., and other branches of rock are all closer to metal in being reliant on distorted guitars and a higher energy level, thus metal fans tend to gravitate towards them. Some rock subgenres can be a bit more distant, like gothic, indie, even progressive rock aren't generally so dependent on relentless and driving guitar riffing. So I'm more interested in seeing what people like that is a bit further out, though obviously other genres can also share traits with some areas of metal as well.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:21 pm 

I guess I might go with country and hip hop. Townes van Zandt is probably my all time favorite country artist but Buck Owens, George Strait, Merle Haggard, some of the big country legends from the sixties through to the eighties, they're some of my favorite artists in all music, as well as more obscure figures like Tompall Glaser and Hoyt Axton. I don't really venture beyond the late 80s though-- I hate to be the 'new music sucks!' guy but very little of the 90s stuff and none of the 2000s/2010s stuff does it for me. Same with hip hop, some of my favorite music is hip hop from the late 80s and early-to-mid 90s but the more recent stuff just leaves me cold. As far as I'm concerned the last great hip hop album was Nas's It Was Written back in 1996-- some decent music since then, but for the most part, it's not for me.

I figure hardcore punk and goth rock both fall under the rock umbrella (although there's a lot of music in the goth world that has very little rock in it-- thinking the more ambient and neoclassical goth music of bands like Love is Colder Than Death) but if the question was a little more open they'd definitely be contenders as well.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:43 pm 

I've only started getting into darkwave in the last few years. I'm still not super deep into it, but everything I've heard out of it has been amazing fun to listen to.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:26 pm 

Oh yes, there's all kinds of great stuff in the darkwave, ethereal wave realms and such. Black Tape For a Blue Girl, The Eden House, Anna von Hausswolff, some of Chelsea Wolfe's material, or Emma Ruth Rundle. I eventually stumbled into that area relatively recently myself and it's taken an increasing portion of my listening time.

~Guest 1195014
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:54 pm 

Eh, I guess prog and post-rock don't exactly count then?

It's not really established genres even, but I generally have a soft spot for acoustic and ambient stuff, and have been dabbling in both myself for quite a while now. Very, very slowly I have also been getting into some kinds of more electronic-driven music (I guess trip-hop/dark ambient kind of stuff, I am hopeless with subgenre names in this area), and frankly my AOTY candidate for this year is a friend's album which falls into this category, so yeah.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:57 pm 

Murder raps and Kraftwerk

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:11 am 

Subrick wrote:
I've only started getting into darkwave in the last few years. I'm still not super deep into it, but everything I've heard out of it has been amazing fun to listen to.

In case you haven't already come across it, Clan of Xymox's 'Medusa' is a strong contender for my favorite darkwave/goth rock album of all time. It's definitely less on the ambient side of darkwave but there are very few albums that really nail that dark, gothic atmosphere nearly as well-- I'd recommend it whole-heartedly if you haven't already heard it.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:18 am 

Clan of Xymox has been surprisingly productive of late as well. I really liked their album last year, and they have another out this year as well (though the aggregated ratings for it aren't as good).

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:03 am 

I like a lot of experimental, avant-garde and prog, post- styles and that includes rock in general, jazz of course...and hip hop. I've been a hip hop fan for long but the stuff that stuck with me and what I seek out these days is from the more abstract end of the genre. Everything from the more established and original tastemakers such as Kool Keith, OutKast and MF Doom to the underground legends Aesop Rock, El-P, billy woods and so on.

So yep, lots of experimental, subversive, noise stuff just all around. I think Swans/Michael Gira is the greatest.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:25 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
OutKast

They were probably the first hip-hop act I liked as a group. Stankonia reeled me in. It's been awhile since I've listened to them though, I'm long overdue for another binge.

I think Swans/Michael Gira is the greatest.

They're one of the artists my opinion has turned the most around on over time. I think I first heard them somewhere in the mid-00s, and some of it was probably the early no wave material. I'm still not so much into that era. I've really grown to love a lot of their later experimental and post-rock work though. The last few years it seems that invariably there will be a period of several days somewhere in the fall where I won't want to listen to anything else other than them for a duration.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:49 am 

I like a lot of experimental, avant-garde and prog, post- styles and that includes rock in general, jazz of course...and hip hop. I've been a hip hop fan for long but the stuff that stuck with me and what I seek out these days is from the more abstract end of the genre. Everything from the more established and original tastemakers such as Kool Keith, OutKast and MF Doom to the underground legends Aesop Rock, El-P, billy woods and so on.

So yep, lots of experimental, subversive, noise stuff just all around. I think Swans/Michael Gira is the greatest.

Billy Woods is great.

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
OutKast

They were probably the first hip-hop act I liked as a group. Stankonia reeled me in. It's been awhile since I've listened to them though, I'm long overdue for another binge.

They're one of the artists my opinion has turned the most around on over time. I think I first heard them somewhere in the mid-00s, and some of it was probably the early no wave material. I'm still not so much into that era. I've really grown to love a lot of their later experimental and post-rock work though. The last few years it seems that invariably there will be a period of several days somewhere in the fall where I won't want to listen to anything else other than them for a duration.

I'm also a great Swans fan (mostly The Glowing Man, The Seer and To Be Kind + the live albums, they were incredible live on that period and I managed to see them a lot of times thankfully) but I consider them a rock band. Same with the Wetton/Bruford/Cross era of King Crimson that is mostly prog rock + noisy guitars + heavy improvisations. Maybe we need a noise rock thread or something? Glenn Branca was cool too.

I'm a great post hardcore fan but again, not sure how removed from rock we should consider bands like Fugazi, Unwound, Drive Like Jehu, Glassjaw, Lisabo...

So I guess my answer would be:

- I listen to some trip hop and dark electronics: Portishead, Ulver, Thom Yorke, etc.
- Huge drone/ambient fan: Ben Frost, Roly Porter and Tim Hecker.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:51 am 

Ezadara wrote:
I guess I might go with country and hip hop.

This would probably be my answer too. Aside from some of the more popular hip hop stuff in the late '90s / early '00s, I've only properly got into either in the Spotify era, so I'm guilty of dipping in without really getting to know any albums / artists too well. The only exception would be Miranda Lambert for country.

I listen to Tori Amos more than any other artist, but I'm not sure what genre(s) she'd fit into, and I don't listen to much else like her, whereas the above two genres are the ones I'd usually try to dig around and find hidden gems in.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:14 pm 

That early Swans stuff is great, especially Filth and Cop-- it gets to a point where it almost crosses a line into being a parody of itself, like they're trying too hard, but it rides that line really well. Their later stuff is much more inventive, but I could never really get into it. Not enough pounding drum beats and grinding guitars while Michael Gira yells about exploitation and whatnot, I guess.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:07 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:

Cool. Most people seem to gravitate towards the latter Swans era. I love it all - including the neo-folk stuff in the middle but they've been on a tear since My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope. Just brilliant.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:11 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

Billy Woods is great.

I'm so glad you enjoy him too. That song in particular just has such a great instrumental. I can see how the sonics of that would appeal to you based off what you tend to gravitate towards. Hiding Places in general is just such a great album but his discography is solid overall.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:16 pm 

Ezadara wrote:

That early Swans stuff is great, especially Filth and Cop-- it gets to a point where it almost crosses a line into being a parody of itself, like they're trying too hard, but it rides that line really well. Their later stuff is much more inventive, but I could never really get into it. Not enough pounding drum beats and grinding guitars while Michael Gira yells about exploitation and whatnot, I guess.

As much as I love Filth and Cop (mostly that it got Justin Broadrick's brain working when he heard it and we all got Godflesh), they don't hold a candle to the sprawling world that is The Glowing Man.

- signed, Frankie M.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:40 pm 

I almost exclusively listen to rock. My parents never played even the most normie accessible rock, when I was growing up, except for some really bad wuss rock. When I got into music, I’m high school, I wanted to listen to death metal, because normies couldn’t stand it, and mall core kids weren’t true enough for it.

Also, in that era, chart topping stuff was going in the direction of having no real instruments, so I knew I was definitely listening to the good stuff. I occasionally decide to check out some pop thing, because so many people, in real life, are insisting it’s really good. I usually turn it off, after a few minutes, because I can’t stand it, and I hate it. I am an elitist. Therefore, I don’t expect others to like my music, and I try not to make fun of other genres.

If I listen to stuff that isn’t about overdriven guitars, it’s stuff that’s similar to typical hard rock, metal, or punk, in structure. I go to local bars, that have folk music. I’ve seen a local sitar player, with his son, who I went to high school with, playing drums. I’ve seen oud players, fiddle players, guitarists, and I like seeing Mongol and Turkic bands, with fiddles, lutes, drums, and guttural vocals.

Just like Robert Johnson, that’s where rock came from, originally.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:25 pm 

Ezadara wrote:

Interesting, I guess we're essentially opposites with regard to them then. Their early material and a lot of philosophically similar music is kind of my final boss of music appreciation. As much as I love death metal, deathgrind, some dissonant black metal, aggrotech and such, those areas are impenetrable for me, even after finally getting into avant-garde 20th century classical and RIO. Harsh industrial, noise, power electronics, I just can't seem to get into it. Part of it is the seeming lack of structure. Free jazz gives me a similar challenge.

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I am an elitist. Therefore, I don’t expect others to like my music, and I try not to make fun of other genres.

I think it's hard to be a real elitist without doing the latter. Pontification is usually concomitant with it.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:38 pm 

I arguably listen to just as much jazz these days as I do metal. Really into Sun Ra, Eric Dolphy, Joe Henderson, Pharoah Sanders, Don Cherry, Anthony Braxton, Andrew Hill, and Freddie Hubbard to name a few.

Number two for me is most likely Space Rock, and progressive off shoots of that. My love for that sort of music was directly linked to discovering Hawkwind, and then shortly after exploring Gong, and Acid Mother's Temple.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:20 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Interesting, I guess we're essentially opposites with regard to them then. Their early material and a lot of philosophically similar music is kind of my final boss of music appreciation. As much as I love death metal, deathgrind, some dissonant black metal, aggrotech and such, those areas are impenetrable for me, even after finally getting into avant-garde 20th century classical and RIO. Harsh industrial, noise, power electronics, I just can't seem to get into it. Part of it is the seeming lack of structure. Free jazz gives me a similar challenge.

Yeah, I can see why noise and power electronics would be a tough listen if you prefer music with more of a sense of structure behind it. I do think some of those artists' music is more structured than it may appear at first listen (I'm particularly thinking of Prurient, one of my favorite noise artists) but there are definitely others whose appeal is in the complete lack of structure, in the effort to excise any discernible human element. It's not for everyone by any means (much like free jazz, which I've also never really been able to get into).

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:26 pm 

doomicus wrote:
I arguably listen to just as much jazz these days as I do metal. Really into Sun Ra, Eric Dolphy, Joe Henderson, Pharoah Sanders, Don Cherry, Anthony Braxton, Andrew Hill, and Freddie Hubbard to name a few.

Number two for me is most likely Space Rock, and progressive off shoots of that. My love for that sort of music was directly linked to discovering Hawkwind, and then shortly after exploring Gong, and Acid Mother's Temple.

Sounds like you're more into the avant-garde/free jazz scene. I love Joe Henderson and Freddie Hubbard, though I suspect you might be into a different era of their careers than I am.

Space rock is an area I really want to get more into at some point. I love Gong, but most of the others I've tried so far have been a bit underwhelming.

Black Earth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:52 pm 

Thank you for the topic. I've been listening to heavy music primarily for over 20 years. In that duration, I have explored many other territories of music, one of classical music, and the other of jazz. Although I had a rather prolonged love-affair with psychedelic trance and down-tempo electronica, and also delved deeply into 70's progressive rock. Some loves such as Miles Davis (which by himself takes a few life-times to understand), though I have found time and energy to explore many other giants in the jazz sphere such as Pat Metheny, John Scofield, and a whole host of other brilliant musicians in sub-genres of jazz itself. Of classical music, Johannes Brahms is an all-time favorite followed by the likes of Richard Strauss, some Mahler, the eternal Beethoven, occasional Mozart, Wagner, some Bach; Second School of Vienna odds such as Shoenberg, and others of the same vein such as Stravinsky, of the French school impressionism such as Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel, although currently I am staying away from them due to the complex constitute of their music and the complexity of my own life. As for progressive rock, Yes is a love, some Rush, early Gentle Giant, etc.,.. and the list continues.
"What manifests from an act of freedom that is simple in its constitute, complex in its expression, wholistic in its representation, and singular in its conviction? Are you witnessing and experiencing essences?"

-BE

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:20 am 

Mine would be punk- All styles. (though not so much the modern hardcore stuff, but the older 80's -style thrash/speed hardcore- can't get enough of it!!) Skate punk, pop punk, Jerry's Kids, Minor Threat, Misfits, Ramones, goth-punk- I love all of that music, and always have.

The other one, hard to say. I really dig the mid/late 60's heavy rock and psychedelic rock scene from that era. I'd probably say that would be my second favorite.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:22 am 

By far Soul and Motown.

Sam Cooke is in my top three artists of all time. Really into the big names like Otis Redding, Percy Sledge, Jackie Wilson, Wilson Pickett, The Supremes, The Temptations

Really into some bands/artists that are known for one or two tracks. The Isley Brothers have a lot more great songs that just Shout! and This Old Heart of Mine. Jimmy Ruffin has more gems after "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted" Also a lot of great finds from unknown artists like The Elgins, Sam Baker, etc.

Here are a couple playlists to get you SHAKIN' IT:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1S7Jo ... 807e8e45e5

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3L70K ... 11ec5c4bb7

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:40 pm 

doomicus wrote:

Sun Ra and Pharaoh Sanders are particular favorites of mine. Really unbelievably innovative. I don't know if you've checked out Albert Ayler too but I'd put him up there with them.

Gong's good too but I'm more of a Soft Machine fan. Third is mind-blowing.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:48 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
I listen to Tori Amos more than any other artist, but I'm not sure what genre(s) she'd fit into, and I don't listen to much else like her, whereas the above two genres are the ones I'd usually try to dig around and find hidden gems in.

I think Tori Amos qualifies as a singer/songwriter and is a damn good example of one, way outside of the cliches of what people usually think that means. The way she goes from the confessional solo piano stuff like Silent All These Years to crafting a pop song like Bouncing Off Clouds (which reminds me of Bjork somewhat) to the classical Night of Hunters material.

I still come back to From The Choirgirl Hotel only (mostly) and prefer PJ Harvey overall but Tori Amos is certainly outstanding.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:59 pm 

Black Earth wrote:
Some loves such as Miles Davis (which by himself takes a few life-times to understand)...Metheny...Scofield

Miles is weirdly both overrated and underrated. Kind of Blue is one of the first jazz albums people tend to be recommended so lots of people have heard it, and as great as it is, there's a ton of material I like more than it. And his discography is immense and spans so much innovative history, with too much relative attention going to just a handful of them (Bitch's Brew, for another example). But then people who don't bother checking his work out at all are really missing out. Same with Metheny, though too much of his oeuvre remains unexplored for me. Scofield is definitely also too under the radar, especially for non-guitarists.

Quote:
Claude Debussy...Yes...Rush...Gentle Giant

Three classics, and then another too often overlooked group. The multi-instrumental talent and switching ability they had was insane.

[Gong's good too but I'm more of a Soft Machine fan. Third is mind-blowing.

They're in rather different scenes from each other, but that's a great album. I think I prefer Bundles with Allan Holdsworth though.

Black Earth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:50 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Black Earth wrote:
Some loves such as Miles Davis (which by himself takes a few life-times to understand)...Metheny...Scofield

Miles is weirdly both overrated and underrated. Kind of Blue is one of the first jazz albums people tend to be recommended so lots of people have heard it, and as great as it is, there's a ton of material I like more than it. And his discography is immense and spans so much innovative history, with too much relative attention going to just a handful of them (Bitch's Brew, for another example). But then people who don't bother checking his work out at all are really missing out. Same with Metheny, though too much of his oeuvre remains unexplored for me. Scofield is definitely also too under the radar, especially for non-guitarists.

Quote:
Claude Debussy...Yes...Rush...Gentle Giant

Three classics, and then another too often overlooked group. The multi-instrumental talent and switching ability they had was insane.

Absolutely agree on the skillfulness of Gentle Giant. They were remarkable in their range of musical ability. As for Miles, yes I admit he is a rather odd anomaly in all of jazz. "Bitches Brew" was what rock wanted to be--bizarre, herculean, heavy--Miles was all of that and more. And also very true; the likes of Pat Metheny and Scofield are very peculiar tastes which I acquired from friendship with jazz musicians (like other adaptions from many other friends interested in what I was not, at the time). Immense talents, although vastly unknown by even people with keen and cultivated interests. You'd have to be an idiosyncratic enthusiast to have taste for people like Metheny, Scofield and admittedly even Miles. It is rather eccentric and very idealistic, I must confess, though adventurous and fascinating, nonetheless. They cannot be listened to every day.
"What manifests from an act of freedom that is simple in its constitute, complex in its expression, wholistic in its representation, and singular in its conviction? Are you witnessing and experiencing essences?"

-BE

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:18 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
doomicus wrote:

Sounds like you're more into the avant-garde/free jazz scene. I love Joe Henderson and Freddie Hubbard, though I suspect you might be into a different era of their careers than I am.

Space rock is an area I really want to get more into at some point. I love Gong, but most of the others I've tried so far have been a bit underwhelming.

Have you tried Space Ritual?

https://youtu.be/uoA8zu1ZTSI

I've always like Lemmy a lot more with Hawkwind than with Motorhead.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:04 pm 

Outside of all things metal/rock/punk, I mainly listen to dungeon synth and hip-hop. Been in a massive dungeon synth mood for the past 2 months, it probably makes up to 85% of my listening habits.
Fire walk with me"

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next