Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Finstrom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:45 pm 

I'm writing a Master's Thesis in archival science, where part of the study is about comparing how members use Metal-Archives and/or Discogs. If you have a few minutes to fill in the survey below, I'd really appreciate it!

https://forms.gle/PNDLj6uPbGgtHh7H8

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:38 pm 

Your question "What do you consider reasonable to spend on one single record?" is buggy, btw. It demands an answer consisting of a single radio button labelled "Alternativ 1"

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:16 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Your question "What do you consider reasonable to spend on one single record?" is buggy, btw. It demands an answer consisting of a single radio button labelled "Alternativ 1"

Yeah, he should probably fix up that question a bit. The survey was still pretty interesting though.

Finstrom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:58 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out! Fixed.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 am 

Survey filled.
For the last question (original copy), you should have 3 choices: Yes / No / It depends.
And an additional question to know why you choose that answer.

my trade list

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:33 am 

I've just filled it up. All the best!

Finstrom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:22 pm 

false_icon wrote:
Survey filled.
For the last question (original copy), you should have 3 choices: Yes / No / It depends.
And an additional question to know why you choose that answer.

Thank you for the feedback! I've edited the survey and can see how it makes more sense.

MDL wrote:
I've just filled it up. All the best!

Thanks!

DeadKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:02 pm 

How about the reasonable amount to spend on a record question? Depends a lot on what the particular record is, but I kinda assumed that the question was asking about a new/non-rare LP.

Also, not sure if it's pedantic, but in such a formal setting you'd probably want to go with the primary name of the website (Encyclopaedia Metallum).

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:29 am 

Done ! What's your thesis out of interest ?

Finstrom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:09 am 

Methuen wrote:

The thesis is about how Metallum and Discogs function as archives even if they're not archives in the traditional sense, ie not connected to institutions or having employed archivists. Due to providing so much information about releases and people (bands, artists, labels) (Which could be useful in the future for research on music) and the databases being built up by user contributions rather than by archivist "experts", they document niche material and include stuff that mainstream archives miss out on. In both websites' case there's much information that would never see the light of day if it wasn't for "fans"/users willingly participating in documenting it (For example, I personally found out that Black and Death metal exist in asian countries outside of the now well-known U.S./Scandinavian scene).

The thesis is written in swedish so I flip between swedish/english a lot in my head. Tried to explain it briefly here.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:06 am 

Do you consider discussion on the message board as contributing? Or are you specifically talking adding bands/albums/reviews?

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:38 am 

Finstrom wrote:
Methuen wrote:

The thesis is about how Metallum and Discogs function as archives even if they're not archives in the traditional sense, ie not connected to institutions or having employed archivists. Due to providing so much information about releases and people (bands, artists, labels) (Which could be useful in the future for research on music) and the databases being built up by user contributions rather than by archivist "experts", they document niche material and include stuff that mainstream archives miss out on. In both websites' case there's much information that would never see the light of day if it wasn't for "fans"/users willingly participating in documenting it (For example, I personally found out that Black and Death metal exist in asian countries outside of the now well-known U.S./Scandinavian scene).

The thesis is written in swedish so I flip between swedish/english a lot in my head. Tried to explain it briefly here.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Definitely true that info exists here that an 'expert' would never find or document; similar I suppose to car clubs that will understand every weird combination of problems that a manufacturer would never encounter :D

morbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:18 am 

Done

Ex member of Morbert Angel, Napalm Bert, Morbert Saint, Hobbs' Angel of Bert and guest vocals on Morbert Tales and Morbert Visions

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:07 pm 

Done, nice form!
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

wizard_of_bore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:24 am 

I completed the survey. Good luck on your thesis.
Now for a higher level song like Moth Into Flame. I specifically remember getting in trouble at school for hearing this the day it was released for having my phone out and then defiantly saying to my teacher Fuck off Im listening to a new Metallica song

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:19 am 

Completed. Good luck with the thesis.

Speaking as someone with an archival qualification, I find the concept of MA interesting in that it's a collectively sourced archive but at at the same time has a sensible accessions policy (i.e. it doesn't just accept any old stuff but has a defined purpose and encourages people to contribute sensibly and constructively while not being ridiculously gatekeeping about what gets accepted and what doesn't). Not an easy line to tread but the team here do a good job IMO.

I use MA a lot for researching basic discography details; when a record was released, line-up etc. I also like to express my opinions on albums and bands.

I should probably have added this to your survey but I do sometimes look up the details of records to check which edition I have, though mostly if it was released after the 1970s I'm not overly bothered about the idea of having a first pressing or not.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:45 am 

I just completed it, good luck friend.
People who aren't paid, who volunteer their time, and who put effort into their craft, have the freedom to say things their way. [...] Don't pay me, and you'll see my honest talk.

Reply to topic