Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:12 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/22643950/elden-ring-preview-fromsoftware-george-rr-martin

I am so stoked for this. It's hard not to be overhyped. So far, the only From game I didn't absolutely enjoy was Sekiro, but that's because I sucked so much at parrying. The image of the cavalier in front of the dragon is just so... wow. From is able to create really beautiful and terrifying worlds!

Right now, Demon Souls confirmed Tower of Latria as my all time favorite among all souls-like. I hope there's something like that. I want to relive the first time a Mind Flayer sucked my brain, I think I screamed a little.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:21 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
https://www.theverge.com/22643950/elden-ring-preview-fromsoftware-george-rr-martin

I am so stoked for this. It's hard not to be overhyped. So far, the only From game I didn't absolutely enjoy was Sekiro, but that's because I sucked so much at parrying.

I have pretty much the exact same opinion.

An open world Dark Souls sounds real exciting to me. Hopefully, it doesn't get somehow bogged down with "Gather 5 of this" missions.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

LunarisIsDead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:56 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
An open world Dark Souls sounds real exciting to me. Hopefully, it doesn't get somehow bogged down with "Gather 5 of this" missions.

The level design in Dark Souls was one of the best parts of the series for me. The interconnected, metroidvania -esque world that opened up as you played was fun as all hell, and it was honestly quite refreshing in an era of games where every studio was like "look how big and open (and empty) our world is".

Hearing "open world Dark Souls" kind of scared me at first glance, but after reading more into it, I think From Soft can definitely pull off a legitimately interesting open world.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:58 pm 

Watching a live stream/first look of Age of Empires IV. Graphically it looks exquisite. The gameplay seems similar to previous games. If you're into this sort of RTS, it looks like you'll enjoy this game. I'm on the fence about purchasing it myself, but seems like it'll be a fun game.

One thing I'm really enjoying is how the units yell at each other. It sounds like a huge construction site the way the voices echo around the map.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:05 pm 

Deathloop is much better than I was expecting. Like a mix of Dishonored and Outer Wilds with a very fun combat. It has some graphic issues on PC though, hope they fix those soon.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:32 am 

I'm enjoying Deathloop, also.

I think it's pretty accurate to call this game a "rogue" (whatever the fuck that means) so far.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:10 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I think it's pretty accurate to call this game a "rogue" (whatever the fuck that means) so far.

Fuck

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:26 pm 

I skipped Deathloop; the exclusivity is for one year or so, and it's likely going to be on Game Pass next year. So I used the money to pick Tales of Arise instead.

It's been a while since I'd played a Tales game, it's really fun so far (about 5-6 hours in). It's not a graphical powerhouse, but it still looks good and plays well. The story so far is OK, not amazing but the characters are fun. Lots of dialogue too. Most annoyingly however, characters keep shouting the name of their abilities in fights, and it can get pretty chaotic. Also, personally, Shionne (one of the two main characters) is not fun to play compared to Iron Mask.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:05 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Fuck

Hahha.

Yea, that's my opinion on it so far.

I did read a website that claimed it was not a rogue, but it checks most of the boxes for me.

Eventually you die and start back at the beginning losing the weapons and perks you had acquired (from what I understand).

I'm pretty sure you're playing the same four maps, also.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far and I love the voice actor who's doing the main character, but I think it heavily draws from Rogue games.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:18 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Fuck

Hahha.

Yea, that's my opinion on it so far.

I did read a website that claimed it was not a rogue, but it checks most of the boxes for me.

Eventually you die and start back at the beginning losing the weapons and perks you had acquired (from what I understand).

I'm pretty sure you're playing the same four maps, also.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far and I love the voice actor who's doing the main character, but I think it heavily draws from Rogue games.

I agree it has roguelike elements but they are really well integrated and I don't think it's fair to say it's just another roguelike. The story has been implemented into the 4 levels you can play. They are fairly big areas that change depending on the time of day and the interactions with the world you have. It really has much more in common with Outer Wilds that it has with Hades.

There are ways to preserve weapons and perks for the next loop but I won't say more. I'm 22h into it and still finding new stuff with each loop. Being able to track your discoveries is great.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:40 pm 

I'm admittedly still real early in the game and still learning things, so you probably have a better grasp of what's going on than I do.

I do feel like there's a shit ton of info being thrown at me and most of it's all going right over my head.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:03 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I'm admittedly still real early in the game and still learning things, so you probably have a better grasp of what's going on than I do.

I do feel like there's a shit ton of info being thrown at me and most of it's all going right over my head.

Yeah, don't worry, the game will slowly make you do everything you need to. The story and conversations are quite fascinating and the game loop is pretty fun. I'm starting to realize the pieces are going to eventually fit together but there is a ton of stuff to do, probably 30+ hours. Making you restart if you're killed is actually brilliant, they perfected the loop the Dishonored games had but forcing you to adapt and improvise when things go wrong. Having the means to save and restart every time you wanted kind of broke certain aspects of the Dishonored franchise if I'm being completely honest. I for one saved way too many times.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:57 am 

Finally got the PS5. Currently playing Returnal and Demon's Souls. Damn, is it just me or is Demon's Souls the hardest game of the franchise? Actually surprised by how much I'm dying and I've beaten the rest of them 2-3 times each.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:22 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Finally got the PS5. Currently playing Returnal and Demon's Souls. Damn, is it just me or is Demon's Souls the hardest game of the franchise? Actually surprised by how much I'm dying and I've beaten the rest of them 2-3 times each.

Going by my ps3 memories the path to reach the bosses were absolutely brutal at times, matched maybe only by few of the dlc ones in DS2.. Also the soul form mechanic is just sadistic.
The positive side is that i don't remember having too much problems with the bosses themselves

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:39 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

The biggest thing for me is the distance between the start point and the boss. So if you die at the boss, you have to start the level almost all over again. Thankfully the bosses themselves are generally on the easier side.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:50 am 

Finally beat that passive, tedious, fucking goofball coward Micolash. Literally this is my first play through of Bloodborne. Started in 2017 I think.

He's so easy/weak, I just kept getting frustrated by how long it took to retry after a death. Learning how to dodge his white-ball-thingy-spell in the 2nd phase took me a few tries but once I understood that (big hesitation, dodge-dodge) he was literally a joke.

Now I've discovered that I can train these 3 pigs onto this little gang cosplaying as the Shadows of Yharnam, watch em fight and collect 30k souls each pass. Just gonna...do that for awhile before I spank this wet nurse. Every loop is one level-up and some change right now.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:09 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

Going by my ps3 memories the path to reach the bosses were absolutely brutal at times, matched maybe only by few of the dlc ones in DS2.. Also the soul form mechanic is just sadistic.
The positive side is that i don't remember having too much problems with the bosses themselves

Curious_dead wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

The biggest thing for me is the distance between the start point and the boss. So if you die at the boss, you have to start the level almost all over again. Thankfully the bosses themselves are generally on the easier side.

Yeah, once I arrived at the big mechanical knight with a huge shield it took me way less than I was expecting. Loving it so far. Currently at the mines.

Also, word around is there's a Bloodborne remastered version coming out in December. 60 fps, better textures and lightning, etc.

Any of you played the last Far Cry? is it any good? The premise of it being a bit more city-oriented seems interesting but the previous games were just OK. Maybe I'll try the Ubisoft 30 days pass that lets you play it for 15 bucks.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:04 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Finally beat that passive, tedious, fucking goofball coward Micolash. Literally this is my first play through of Bloodborne. Started in 2017 I think.

He's so easy/weak, I just kept getting frustrated by how long it took to retry after a death. Learning how to dodge his white-ball-thingy-spell in the 2nd phase took me a few tries but once I understood that (big hesitation, dodge-dodge) he was literally a joke.

Now I've discovered that I can train these 3 pigs onto this little gang cosplaying as the Shadows of Yharnam, watch em fight and collect 30k souls each pass. Just gonna...do that for awhile before I spank this wet nurse. Every loop is one level-up and some change right now.

That's great! That Micolash spell is diabolical, at higher NG+ it wipes you out in an instant.
I'm too thinking to play again some Bloodborne, i guess it's October that is calling me :lol:

I've just finished playing TLOU2 on grounded mode, it's both a joy and a pain that i'm not sure i would suggest to try: it felt really rewarding to develop a strategies and see them working (in particular in the more complex encounters) but few sections were really exasperating. Small areas and enemies that detect you easily and two shot you with unreal accuracy don't mix well :(

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:51 pm 

I actually started a Bloodborne NG+ recently and I'm already nearly done. Even though I've played the game four times, I've always just started a brand new game and so now I'm pretty shocked to find out that NG+ is significantly easier than base game. I always assumed it'd be a nightmare, but I've hardly died at all. Then again, I still have the DLC to tackle.

I've also heard the rumours of Bluepoint doing a Bloodborne remaster. There's even further tinfoil-hat rumours that they're also making a ground-up sequel. That seems more unlikely, but I guess if some studio other than From is to do it then it might as well be them.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:27 am 

Razakel wrote:
I actually started a Bloodborne NG+ recently and I'm already nearly done. Even though I've played the game four times, I've always just started a brand new game and so now I'm pretty shocked to find out that NG+ is significantly easier than base game. I always assumed it'd be a nightmare, but I've hardly died at all. Then again, I still have the DLC to tackle.

The NG+ playtrough is much faster and smoother in general, but the dlc gets rough at times: with enough cycles Ludwig gets a pair of one shot attacks, Orphan's health pool becomes very large and Laurence turns from a slightly stronger cleric beast into the flaming goat from hell itself, the legless phase in particular is tense.
I've got an high level character fully dedicated to speedrun trough NG+ cycles and those are the usual speed bumps, along with a bad RNG Micolash that spams the A Call Beyond attack.

There are also the cursed chalices that are a pain the ass if you get the wrong bosses. I would say that those are the hardest things to beat, unless you try crazy challenge runs like BL4 (I couln't manage to beat Orphan no matter what in that one, it's one of the few gaming challenges where i gave up)

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:01 am 

Jonpo wrote:

Bloodborne platinum guy here :-D and Micolash was always an irritating boss (though also kinda ok in the FromSoft way), but in NG+7 his Call From Beyond/Augur of Ebreitas combo is no fucking joke - instant one-shot at high level (and low level!), but you can cheese him fairly easily. Playing on my PS5 (finally) was a blast too. One boss that was clearly, and obviously a real challenge at NG+7 was goddamn Ludwig. Was three way co-opping this and took us three nights to bring him down :lol: soooo much fun.

Gravetemplar wrote:

Me too, 8 months after release, so pretty happy, and I never played this on PS3, so this is a real treat, as I have no idea what I'm doing. The Tower Knight run was a bit annoying to get at, and he killed me a couple of times, same with Armoured Spider. I'm in Flamelurker territory (not fought him yet), but I am struggling in the mines/Stonefang Tunnel. Lost 15k down there somewhere, not sure where/how to get them back... So many tunnels...

Not sure if I think it's the hardest, that would be Sekiro for me, but it's certainly challenging considering you can do essentially two playthroughs of the same area with the whole tendency thing, which I'm still figuring out, and I'm definitely more... cautious with my progress, and running around with half health doesn't help things. Beautiful game though, to play and look at. Loving it. Bloodborne 2 please?

Pre-ordered Elden Ring and can't wait to dive into that next January.

My collection

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:05 am 

I'm already day dreaming about NG+. My first play through I always try to look up as little help as possible. It's satisfying but also you miss out on so much cool shit. I want that katana...

I finally caught up on a backlog of Elden Ring hype via Vaati and I am ALL THE WAY IN HOLY SHIT! It sounds exactly like what I dreamed it would be. Sekiro Souls. The exciting combat of one married with fashion and class customization of the other.

Last edited by Jonpo on Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:31 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Any of you played the last Far Cry? is it any good? The premise of it being a bit more city-oriented seems interesting but the previous games were just OK. Maybe I'll try the Ubisoft 30 days pass that lets you play it for 15 bucks.

I need to finish Deathloop before I get Far Cry, because I know I'll ditch Deathloop for the shiny new toy, but I definitely plan on getting it eventually.

I've also played enough Deathloop to see now it is definitely not a "roguelike" game.

I hate that description btw. "Roguelike"? WTF does that mean?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:33 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I finally caught up on a backlog of Elden Ring hype via Vaati and I am ALL THE WAY IN HOLY SHIT! It sounds exactly like what I dreamed it would be. Sekiro Souls. The exciting combat of one married with fashion and class customization of the other.

?

Elden Ring has Souls combat, not Sekiro combat.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:12 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
"Roguelike"? WTF does that mean?

A game that features procedurally-generated stages with randomized loot and/or powerups, and you lose everything when you die. Essentially, games that follow the design philosophy of an old-school dungeon crawler game called Rogue.

"Roguelike" has kinda just stuck around because "procedurally-generated dungeon crawler" just doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

"Rogue-lite" is a similar term you might have heard, which describes Roguelike games that offer some level of mercy, like letting you keep levels or powerups or other bonuses on death.

Last edited by Zelkiiro on Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:14 pm 

@ Razakel: Obviously I haven't played it but there's a jump button and counter attacks on blocking. Not to mention ranged arrows that put enemies to sleep for stealth kills. Call it a beautiful mix I suppose.

I had no choice but to start a fresh Sekiro play through. Another one to file under "So much I missed". Never fought the Owl memory. Never did the Shura ending. Never beat Demon of Hatred.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:41 am 

Razakel wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

?

Oh God! PLEASE don't let it be Sekiro combat.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:22 am 

Jonpo wrote:
I'm already day dreaming about NG+. My first play through I always try to look up as little help as possible. It's satisfying but also you miss out on so much cool shit. I want that katana...

I got to the last boss in the Demon's Souls remake (I saved Old King Allant for last). I fought him once, got my ass beat and have completely lost interest in the game. I have zero interest in any kind of NG + and have no idea how anyone does.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:30 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:
"Roguelike"? WTF does that mean?

A game that features procedurally-generated stages with randomized loot and/or powerups, and you lose everything when you die. Essentially, games that follow the design philosophy of an old-school dungeon crawler game called Rogue.

"Roguelike" has kinda just stuck around because "procedurally-generated dungeon crawler" just doesn't quite roll off the tongue.

"Rogue-lite" is a similar term you might have heard, which describes Roguelike games that offer some level of mercy, like letting you keep levels or powerups or other bonuses on death.

Alright, now I get it.

I've never heard of this old D&D game, so I'm always wondering wtf is being referred to with the word, "Rogue".

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:38 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Razakel wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

?

Oh God! PLEASE don't let it be Sekiro combat.

From what I read it's definitely closer to Souls combat than Sekiro, but I saw comments that it borrows a little from Sekiro and Bloodborne too.

In any case, my issue with Sekiro weren't exactly the combat, it's the fact that you have (at least early on) only one way to play: get good with parrying or die repeatedly. It's not possible to turtle up, to focus on magic, to learn curative abilities; unlike Souls games, where you can start over as a wholly different character if you have trouble with your build. Even Bloodborne was more open, despite "magic" being mostly late game and lacking any form of meaningful shield. Also it had too much a focus on bosses and mini-bosses, I prefer exploration over hitting a "boss wall" over and over again.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:47 pm 

That's because Sekiro isn't an RPG or even a "Souls-like", it's an action/adventure one. An extremely polished and amazing one at that, though.

Elden Ring will have mostly Souls-type combat. It's a full-blown RPG which means magic, various weapon styles, abilities etc. are in. What it borrows from Sekiro is simply a dedicated jump button and basic stealth.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:25 pm 

I have been playing Tropico 6. Its fun to tell them no on can emigrate and make them all work for next to nothing.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:42 pm 

Yup, Old Hunters DLC was still tough in NG+. Having said that, Whirligig Saw coupled with Beast Blood Pellets can chew through seemingly anything. Dunno how I would've done Ludwig and Orphan of Kos without that combo. And why did I never mess with Beast Blood Pellets before? It almost seems cheap :lol:

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:41 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
I have been playing Tropico 6. Its fun to tell them no on can emigrate and make them all work for next to nothing.

Yeah, I played it recently, too. Unfortunately I absolute suck at this game and regularly end up $30,000 or more in debt and lose the election. :lol:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:47 am 

Started Far Cry 6 on PS5. Graphics are awesome, gun play is great (always is with Far Cry), and the world is fun to explore. The lighting effects make it really come alive. Mechanically, it feels like Far Cry mixed with the last Ghost Recon game. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I just feel like the game doesn't really have an identity of its own, like Far Cry 1 and 3 had. Anyway, I've been looking forward to it, so I'll continue playing. I just got off the first island, and I'm hoping the mainland will keep me intrigued. It's massive.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:02 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Started Far Cry 6 on PS5. Graphics are awesome, gun play is great (always is with Far Cry), and the world is fun to explore. The lighting effects make it really come alive. Mechanically, it feels like Far Cry mixed with the last Ghost Recon game. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I just feel like the game doesn't really have an identity of its own, like Far Cry 1 and 3 had. Anyway, I've been looking forward to it, so I'll continue playing. I just got off the first island, and I'm hoping the mainland will keep me intrigued. It's massive.

How is the villain? I loved Giancarlo Esposito in Breaking Bad, and his likeness in the game gives me hope for a great, memorable villain. But I feel they kinda missed the boat in Far Cry 5, the villain wasn't really that compelling.

In any case I won't start it soon, I have too much on my plate already.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:22 pm 

Esposito is cool but nothing mind blowing so far. I'm about to leave the Island. So far a cool game, just like every other Farcry game. Farcry must be the most 60-70/100 saga ever. Cool entertaining games that always play it safe.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:56 am 

Yeah. I agree.

I'm curious how you feel about the leveling system? I don't really like it so far.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:17 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Yeah. I agree.

I'm curious how you feel about the leveling system? I don't really like it so far.

Not loving it either. Seems like all abilities are tied to your weird backpack instead of having a regular skill tree unless I'm getting it wrong. They also tried to make you have to explore the environment to get the chests but everything seems a bit random and chaotic. I don't know, exploring is not something I want in my Farcry games. For some reason there's something about the game that feels dispersed. The environment is pretty cool and I'm having a great time playing the game but there's something about it that feels odd and I'm still not sure what it is.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:51 pm 

Well Elden Ring has been delayed a month and is now slated for release on February 25th. The good news is that there will be a network test from November 12-14. I signed up for a chance to participate. It's console only, most likely to prevent data mining and other issues on PC.

https://www.bandainamcoent.com/landing/ ... twork-test

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 912, 913, 914, 915, 916, 917, 918 ... 940  Next