Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:25 pm 

buenas noches all. I now know how to get back on here!

wow this is still the same FFA as when I dropped out for a while. Has nothing notable happened here the past few years?

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:14 pm 

A lot of people here have changed since 2016 I find. I lurked here and there but never really participated as my interest in metal waned until recently and I started reading some posts again and was quite surprised how many are just completely different. Not saying good or bad, just quite the change.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:25 pm 

Aside from mainlining the new Iron Maiden, I've been getting real into a shitload of Savatage - so much so that I just bought the first two Circle II Circle CDs off Amazon blind, since those are not on mp3 anywhere. I guess I'll see how this shit goes. I did sample the title tracks off both and really liked them. So who knows.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:49 am 

Don't miss out on Jon Oliva's Pain. I have Global Warning and Festíval, and they are very Jon Oliva.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:36 am 

Opus wrote:
Don't miss out on Jon Oliva's Pain. I have Global Warning and Festíval, and they are very Jon Oliva.

I used to have a download of Festival. Great album. I'll probably grab that sometime soon again. Need to try some of the older stuff.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:50 am 

Some Savatage is fucking good. Edge of Thorns and Gutter Ballet especially. I have Handful of Rain and The Wake of Magellan still waiting for a proper listen.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:43 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Some Savatage is fucking good. Edge of Thorns and Gutter Ballet especially. I have Handful of Rain and The Wake of Magellan still waiting for a proper listen.

Edge of Thorns has never lost its magic for me. Really nothing else like that one. Gutter Ballet I only recently dug out of my CD collection for the first time in ages, and that inspired me to listen to more of their stuff again.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:04 pm 

I googled a famous musicians contact information. I found her phone number. I texted her about a year ago, maybe more. I didn't hear back from her. She randomly texted me last night. We talked late into the night. Super cool person.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:38 pm 

That's somehow both wholesome and disconcerting at the same time.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

camjr01
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:19 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
I googled a famous musicians contact information. I found her phone number. I texted her about a year ago, maybe more. I didn't hear back from her. She randomly texted me last night. We talked late into the night. Super cool person.

Who is this person? I'm not going to try to call her or find her number, I'm just very curious as to who you managed to get ahold of.

"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."- Proverbs 12:15

Long Live the West

Do not do it because it feels right, but because it is right.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:40 am 

LordStenhammar wrote:
Edge Of Thorns, I believe, is better than Gutter, overall. I feel it is way darker and brooding. Plus, being the last thing Criss recorded... :(

Empyreal wrote:
Edge of Thorns has never lost its magic for me. Really nothing else like that one. Gutter Ballet I only recently dug out of my CD collection for the first time in ages, and that inspired me to listen to more of their stuff again.
Despite its success I never liked Gutter all that much. Handful Of Rain is a superb album, I think it is the best post-Criss. What do you think of that album?

I prefer Savatage's first 3 releases and the Dungeons Are Calling is, imo, their ultimate work.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:23 am 

Sirens and Dungeons Are Calling are great, though I prefer their middle era nowadays. Title track from Power of the Night might be the best song about metal ever! Even Fight for the Rock has its moments.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:30 am 

So there is this amazing note taking app called Notion which lets you create databases of notes with boards etc. It really has everything even integrated API's for other apps and widgets.

I was thinking of creating a template on Notion for Metal Archives. Mainly a place for someone to save his reviews and make a to-do list of reviews or albums to listen. Even moderating stuff like open reports or how many posts one made in the forums. What do you think about it ?

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:28 am 

PETERG wrote:
So there is this amazing note taking app called Notion which lets you create databases of notes with boards etc. It really has everything even integrated API's for other apps and widgets.

I was thinking of creating a template on Notion for Metal Archives. Mainly a place for someone to save his reviews and make a to-do list of reviews or albums to listen. Even moderating stuff like open reports or how many posts one made in the forums. What do you think about it ?

I like the idea of a to-do list of items to listen to; one thing I asked about a while ago was an RSS for 'upcoming albums' - if it was possible to cobble something together that did a similar job, that'd be great.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:35 am 

Luvers wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Despite its success I never liked Gutter all that much. Handful Of Rain is a superb album, I think it is the best post-Criss. What do you think of that album?

I prefer Savatage's first 3 releases and the Dungeons Are Calling is, imo, their ultimate work.

Handful of Rain has some brilliant stuff - tapers off in the last few songs, but the good songs are really good.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:58 pm 

Norm Macdonald, one of the funniest people who ever lived, has died of cancer at the age of 61.

R.I.P.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:42 pm 

~Guest 58624 wrote:
I'm a few days late, but I just found out James Randi died.

RIP. I saw him in person once or twice. He lived a long and interesting life, and influenced my outlook in my early 20s: I took him as dealing a major blow to the respectability of believing in the paranormal ("flim-flam!").

I thought he was still around until just a few weeks ago. Sad to hear this.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:02 am 

Dembo wrote:
Norm Macdonald, one of the funniest people who ever lived, has died of cancer at the age of 61.

R.I.P.

This didn't get much attention.

I'm enjoying some of his stuff now. His autoerotic asphyxiation bit on Netflix is so good - that long build up, the phrasing. Everything I like in standup.

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:17 pm 

Just wanted to say thanks for the last couple of years - Wahn & Litho, appreciate the company in particular - Caspian, Subrick, thanks for the music, I'll keep an eye out when you guys put out new stuff !

I still miss Droneriot and Five_Nails.

Regards,
Methuen

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:47 pm 

~Guest 361478 wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for the last couple of years - Wahn & Litho, appreciate the company in particular - Caspian, Subrick, thanks for the music, I'll keep an eye out when you guys put out new stuff !

Regards,
Methuen

Hey, thanks. Not sure why you're leaving, but I definitely enjoyed talking to you. Particularly appreciate your contributions to the Web 1.0 thread.

Take care.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:55 pm 

See ya, mate. Take care.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:59 pm 

I bought tons of cassettes, nice

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:43 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
~Guest 361478 wrote:

Regards,
Methuen

Hey, thanks. Not sure why you're leaving, but I definitely enjoyed talking to you...

Take care.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure either, but I concur. Delain breaking up and him leaving is too much for one year! Maybe he'll come back some time later. If not, farewell.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:25 am 

Just woke up and stacked an awful bunch of firewood with my cousin. Then I remembered that I needed to help a friend with his exams... I was 30-40 mins late. Hope he does not want to kill me...

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:55 am 

I started playing guitar in 1987. I've had a few lessons and used to have lots of friends who played. They would show me things. I used to literally sit and go for hours over scales. Playing them down, up, alternate picking and string skipping when I felt I mastered the scale. By the time where I felt like I was good enough to play something more than AC/DC my ADHD got really severe. I would try to learn to learn something and give up. It was and is very frustrating. Many times I would go back to it, but was never able to play a whole song besides AC/DC or the Go Gos. Very easy stuff. I have now reached a new low of depression and despair. I am using music and the guitar as an escape. If you ask me to play a song, I wouldn't be able to do it. I feel this underrates my playing. Especially when someone hears I have been playing fairly regularly for so many years. These days its just jamming or creating new riffs. I feel like my playing has no real direction. I am rededicating myself once again to learning guitar. I want people to just be blown away by my playing. I feel like if I am not really playing anything it underrates my playing. I haven't had many friends in the past few years, so I have no one to see my playing. Maybe someone who knows about guitar would say I suck. As I said I want to put my all into guitar playing again and really, really be good. I know its a long shot, but does anyone have any advice for me and my situation? Should I get a beginners book and start from there? Going to get lessons is out of the questions, due to issues with anxiety.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:31 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
I started playing guitar in 1987. I've had a few lessons and used to have lots of friends who played. They would show me things. I used to literally sit and go for hours over scales. Playing them down, up, alternate picking and string skipping when I felt I mastered the scale. By the time where I felt like I was good enough to play something more than AC/DC my ADHD got really severe. I would try to learn to learn something and give up. It was and is very frustrating. Many times I would go back to it, but was never able to play a whole song besides AC/DC or the Go Gos. Very easy stuff. I have now reached a new low of depression and despair. I am using music and the guitar as an escape. If you ask me to play a song, I wouldn't be able to do it. I feel this underrates my playing. Especially when someone hears I have been playing fairly regularly for so many years. These days its just jamming or creating new riffs. I feel like my playing has no real direction. I am rededicating myself once again to learning guitar. I want people to just be blown away by my playing. I feel like if I am not really playing anything it underrates my playing. I haven't had many friends in the past few years, so I have no one to see my playing. Maybe someone who knows about guitar would say I suck. As I said I want to put my all into guitar playing again and really, really be good. I know its a long shot, but does anyone have any advice for me and my situation? Should I get a beginners book and start from there? Going to get lessons is out of the questions, due to issues with anxiety.

I don't really go to bars but my bandmate has told me he has sung open mics with his friend backing him on electric guitar. They provide the amps and mics and everything, and you just plug in your guitar, and boom, you have an audience. Generally speaking, open mic opportunities shouldn't be too hard to find, although open mic opportunities that would accommodate electric guitar, and one step further, only feature electric guitar without vocals, I don't at all know how common that is. But if you're comfortable playing acoustic guitar and singing, you will very easily find an audience (maybe without the singing too, I don't know).

When I was starting out I always got stuck and frustrated trying to learn solos in whatever songs I happened to be learning because the music was too fast for my mind to keep up with the tabs. So, like you, I basically quit learning other people's songs and started concentrating on writing my own riffs, which I ended up finding far more fulfilling anyway. As for impressing people, I have a feeling the average person would be more impressed watching you playing familiar songs, while other musicians, unless you're playing hardcore shit like Ynqwie, would probably be more interested in hearing what you yourself are writing. If you haven't already, trying piecing your riffs into full songs, which is where the real fulfillment is for me. If you happen to write a couple riffs that sound like they flow well from one to the other, start there, and try to add more, and if you want, throw in a solo. If you feel overwhelmed trying to structure your original song, you could always fall back on the old "intro/verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/solo/chrous/outro" model, or on the other hand, you could go as complex and offbeat as you want.

What is a really great feeling is forming a full band with other likeminded musicians, but I found it very challenging. I finally got it off the ground by posting a flyer in Guitar Center looking for musicians, I eventually got a response from a bass player. So we met up at Guitar Center, he played for me, I played for him and asked him if he would be interested in playing the kind of music I just played for him and he said yes. I asked him if he knew any other musicians, he introduced me to a singer friend of his who eventually joined the band. This singer joining the band led him to tell me about a website called bandmix.com, which is a musician networking site for musicians to hook up with other musicians to jam together. I made a profile on this site and searched for drummers. I messaged every single drummer I could find that listed their hometown the same as my hometown and that one of the genres they played was metal. Unfortunately only a couple ever replied, but fortunately, one of those turned into a fruitful partnership. I eventually found more musicians to join my band on bandmix, as well as posting more flyers in Guitar Center. I also scoured the musicians section on craigslist and found a post from a guitarist that by what he said would be a good fit for us, and he was. So not only could you make the posts looking for band members, you could go looking for others' posts to reply to as well. Believe me, forming a band is infinitely more fulfilling than just jamming alone in your bedroom, the latter being all I did for the vast majority of my guitar playing life. It's also a great way to make friends. I also suffered from depression for much of my teens and adulthood and after graduating high school had no friends for the entirety of my 20s, and forming a band is what got me friends finally in my 30s: My bandmates! Also, never being in a band before, at the early stages of forming a band I would put getting along with prospective members' personalities and being on a similar page of what kind of music you guys want to play as a higher priority than their chops when you're new to the world of forming / joining bands. This gives you time to grow as musicians with them, or if you grow but they do not, you can find more musicians at your level through your newly found connections of your other bandmates knowing other people who know other people, etc. And believe me, being in a band with other musicians does a hell of a lot more good for your depression than playing alone.

Your plight is very near and dear to me as I have had EXTREMELY similar circumstances as you and I finally worked my way up to something I can be proud of, but I still have a long way to go. So I hope I gave you a lot of good advice!

Oh, and as far as learning is concerned: YOUTUBE LESSONS. This is a godsend for beginner/novice musicians now because social anxiety or money issues are no longer factors! You got an instrument, you got Internet, you got free lessons! Obviously they wouldn't be personalized to you, because they pre-recorded videos for general audiences, but it's no worse than learning from a book, in fact I would say its much better than learning from a book. And you never have to interact with the instructor directly in any way unless you want to leave them something in the comments or something, so social anxiety should be a non-issue.

Last edited by DoomMetalAlchemist on Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:35 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:

As a person who studied guitar for 2 years while a teenager I can tell you this : first of all it is okay to be a novice. I never got out of my way to this day to learn a solo harder than "Dead or Alive".

Moreover the best thing you can do about this is to ask yourself a genuine question. What do I want from my hobby? Do not just answer "oh to become better" etc. Ask yourself what do you want to better at your playing? Is it your technique, your speed, your tone or something else? When you clear this fog you can draw a path of studying and actually accomplishing things.

Since I also do not take lessons I try these three methods :

1. I learn songs that I like, or even albums that I like. Seriously why do I have to learn every single Scorpions solo -random example - in order to become better? I have always worshipped Steve Ray Vaughan as a guitarist so I am trying to learn his songs at the moment. On top of that I make sure to learn the songs by ear. No tabs. There is a really cool musical tool called "Transcribe" which offers a lot of features in order to help you learn a song - you can change the tempo, the pitch, there is a piano to help you find the note etc. - It has a free trial that lasts 30 days but the subscription is not that expensive.

2. I also write the songs that I learn on Guitar Pro. If you do not know how to read music it is really simple and there are a lot of guides on Youtube. When I transcribe I feel the song slowly building inside my head.

3. I try to play every single day even for 10 minutes. It is better to study 10 minutes for 20 days than 20 hours for a day.

I have tried numerous books over the years but if I were to suggest one I would say it is "Rock Discipline" by John Petrucci. It offers a ton of great exercises that can be played at various tempos - mind you he plays some chromatic stuff at 200 bpm but I play them at ~130-140 and I am completely fine with that - . It focuses both on technique, accuracy, sense of rhythm etc.

Also this :
Spoiler: show
I want people to just be blown away by my playing.

I am not sure how to feel about this comment. I do not think that this should be your first goal. I think that your ultimate goal should be having fun and enjoying music yourself at first. Then you will feel better with yourself and build confidence. But I am not here to judge. :old: :old:

Anyway lengthy post but I hope my advice helps you. Much love ! :headbang: :headbang:

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:33 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
I have now reached a new low of depression and despair. I am using music and the guitar as an escape.

This is a separate issue, I can’t tell you what to do about it. Just be careful that your escape doesn’t do more harm than good.

wizard_of_bore wrote:
If you ask me to play a song, I wouldn't be able to do it. I feel this underrates my playing. Especially when someone hears I have been playing fairly regularly for so many years. These days its just jamming or creating new riffs. I feel like my playing has no real direction. I am rededicating myself once again to learning guitar. I want people to just be blown away by my playing. I feel like if I am not really playing anything it underrates my playing. I haven't had many friends in the past few years, so I have no one to see my playing. Maybe someone who knows about guitar would say I suck. As I said I want to put my all into guitar playing again and really, really be good.

I think it’s easier to blow people away with impressive songwriting. Keep practicing your guitar skill, but, even if you aren’t a highly skilled guitarist, you can still write and play amazing songs. If you ever do play live, people are probably going to remember if the show kicked ass, and forget, or never notice, that you made a mistake.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:11 pm 

I'm fucking dying over that thread in metal discussion about who in slayer would win in a fight, it's so fucking stupid, I'm fucking dying

Perhaps.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 pm 

Thy Shrine wrote:
I'm fucking dying over that thread in metal discussion about who in slayer would win in a fight, it's so fucking stupid, I'm fucking dying

Is Kerry King a homophobe? Because I'm wondering why Tony would call him hot.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:26 pm 

Nah. Maybe Tony just genuinely wants to rub Kerry's smooth, tattooed skull.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:46 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Nah. Maybe Tony just genuinely wants to rub Kerry's smooth, tattooed skull.

I mean, who wouldn't want to rub his head? :wanker:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:56 pm 

Dave Lombardo, probably.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:38 pm 

Kerry King is the Samson of metal, once the hair was cut, his powers vanished.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:29 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Kerry King is the Samson of metal, once the hair was cut, his powers vanished.

Same for the whole "Rebirth of Dissection" lineup :ugh:

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:29 am 

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. I have read everything and I appreciate all of the advice. I am currently at work, at don't have the time for the long response that I wanted to make. I just wanted everyone to know the advice is appreciated and I feel like I am go in the right direction now. I will try and do a more detailed response later on.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:56 pm 

Is the review queue pretty full right now? I imagine given the volume of high-profile releases that have been coming out recently there's a lot more reviews in the system than normal. I've had a review pending for like a week and a half, not complaining just wondering if there actually are more reviews being submitted than normal.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:49 pm 

I haven't submitted a review on MA in almost a month due to schoolwork and personal life taking up much of my time, but I have noticed a decrease in the amount of reviews accepted lately.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:07 pm 

There's 150+ reviews in the queue, though only a handful are for recent releases. There's one that was rejected a decade ago by Nightgaunt and resubmitted, and another with a message asking us to delete the submitter's old account. I managed to make it through half a dozen review submissions before stumbling across a new entry in the Hall of Shame: a 100% review for the submitter's own band.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:22 pm 

I'm convinced.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303, 304 ... 332  Next