Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:24 pm 

This is a question that's make me curious for a while, are there any music genre's that are legitimately "dead", not like "is Metal dead" or "is country dead", I mean as in no new music is being made in those genres at all/very very little music is being made in these genre's at all. If anyone has any answers, they would be appreciated.

Last edited by The_Grindcrusher on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:09 pm 

With 8 billion people on the planet there's rarely anything anymore that's truly "dead", because all it would take is one single person creating it to prove it's still alive somewhere, but a lot of styles from before the advent of recording technologies are virtually dead. Ragtime for example, Rate Your Music only lists a single album that has been made this year in the style (co-genred with modern classical), and it only has 5 ratings, so that's about as close as a once popular style probably gets to death.

AnneBonnyGP
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:10 pm 

There's just too much music being made for any genre to really die, unless you're counting like, ancient hymns for long dead religions.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:41 pm 

True Motown soul.

Tell me the last time a record came out that TRULY sounded like the Supremes or the Temptations or Smokey Robinson.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:49 pm 

Numetal maybe?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:45 pm 

NWOBHM and britpop.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:47 am 

Old school hip hop-- the form of hip hop that existed in the genre's earliest recorded years, typified by groups like the Funky Four Plus One and the Cold Crush Brothers-- is pretty much gone forever. Not gonna hear stuff that sounds like this anymore.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:41 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
With 8 billion people on the planet there's rarely anything anymore that's truly "dead", because all it would take is one single person creating it to prove it's still alive somewhere, but a lot of styles from before the advent of recording technologies are virtually dead. Ragtime for example, Rate Your Music only lists a single album that has been made this year in the style (co-genred with modern classical), and it only has 5 ratings, so that's about as close as a once popular style probably gets to death.
I agree. I was going to post Zither music, but from a quick Google search there are people somehow still into it.

It's funny to me to think someone out there is really into Zither music, or something like traditional square-dance music. Someone in the world is sitting around enjoying that shit.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:56 am 

aloof wrote:
NWOBHM and britpop.
Nwobhm is very much alive today. The movement might not be around today, but the signature sound of Nwobhm exists today, and bands from the movement are still recording in that sound.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:34 am 

RIO. It was a very particular sound centered around a couple of bands and one those bands disbanded the genre died. It's a very small subgenre of avant-prog rock though.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:01 pm 

Castrato singing (if that's its own genre) ?

66samhain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:01 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Numetal maybe?

Eh, I don't know what to say about that. With Gen Z's 90s and early 00s nostalgia it might make a comeback (there's a nu metal band in my hometown, for instance).

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:26 pm 

I was going to say disco, but apparently there has been a revival. :eek:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:26 am 

66samhain wrote:
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Numetal maybe?

Eh, I don't know what to say about that. With Gen Z's 90s and early 00s nostalgia it might make a comeback (there's a nu metal band in my hometown, for instance).

Subrick's post in the Worst Songs Ever thread answered this question pretty resolutely.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:08 am 

The field holler perhaps.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:51 am 

Hopefully Blackface Minstrel songs.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:07 pm 

UK folk revival only lasted about a decade. A pity, because it was a really good decade.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:04 pm 

Hair Metal.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:59 pm 

jimbies wrote:
True Motown soul.

Tell me the last time a record came out that TRULY sounded like the Supremes or the Temptations or Smokey Robinson.

It's now a decade old, but Fitz & The Tantrums' Pickin' Up the Pieces had a lot of Motown vibe to it. Might be others, I haven't tried looking for it before, I stumbled onto that one randomly and adored it.

twistedknife wrote:
I was going to say disco, but apparently there has been a revival. :eek:

Some genres don't really exist in exactly the same form they did in their heyday, but their spirit has either been kept alive or incorporated into other newer genres. A lot of the dance-pop of the 10s owes much to disco, for example, some songs more than others. Lady Gaga has a song called "Disco Heaven" that's in that vein, for example.

Unity wrote:
Hair Metal.

Steel Panther put out a new album half a year before C19, so I think that alone proves it's still alive.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:50 pm 

Unity wrote:
Hair Metal.

Thing is, no one can define hair metal as a sound. It was just hard rock and AOR - sometimes plain rock - with an image. Lots of that being made today. Probably even more than back in the day.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:26 pm 

To me at least, a music genre doesn't truly die if people are still listening to it. Like, even if no one's making any new music for a certain genre, that doesn't make it dead if there's still an audience. Even with music genre's you'd think to be dead and forgotten like nu metal or delta blues, there's still an audience listening to those songs.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:56 pm 

66samhain wrote:
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Numetal maybe?

There's a few hardcore bands with nu metal influence. Code Orange and Vein for example.

Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:04 pm 

Freakbeat

Few people today even know that's a sound that existed. And yet it's probably the first "true" proto-metal/proto-punk genre of rock, made even more outrageous by the fact it was a sound that was born around 1965 and died around 1968. It's crazy just how "hard" hard rock was so soon after it was born. If Link Wray created hard rock with "Rumble," we got the first proto-metal only a few years later.

Literally no one makes music this style anymore; the closest analog would be punk rock groups and even they don't "freak out" the same way. God only knows 60s rock throwback artists don't do this either, because just about no one thinks 60s rock sounded like this outside maybe the MC5s and "Helter Skelter."

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:22 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Numetal maybe?

It has been getting a bit of a resurgence in recent years with some of the old nu metal bands getting back together. Maybe, hitting that mid-life crisis age now or something.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:53 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
It has been getting a bit of a resurgence in recent years with some of the old nu metal bands getting back together. Maybe, hitting that mid-life crisis age now or something.

Are they gonna whine about the wife keeping them down now?

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:56 pm 

Yuli Ban wrote:
Freakbeat

Few people today even know that's a sound that existed. And yet it's probably the first "true" proto-metal/proto-punk genre of rock, made even more outrageous by the fact it was a sound that was born around 1965 and died around 1968. It's crazy just how "hard" hard rock was so soon after it was born. If Link Wray created hard rock with "Rumble," we got the first proto-metal only a few years later.

Literally no one makes music this style anymore; the closest analog would be punk rock groups and even they don't "freak out" the same way. God only knows 60s rock throwback artists don't do this either, because just about no one thinks 60s rock sounded like this outside maybe the MC5s and "Helter Skelter."

This stuff is so incredible, BUT...do you REALLY think it was heavy enough to call it "proto-metal"? Because i really don't.

I see proto-metal as being more stuff like Iron Claw, Warpig, Flying Hat Band, Flower Traveling Band (though some call them Japanese psych), Bloodrock, THE ORIGINAL Iron Maiden, Icecross, Jersualem, etc.

I guess this stuff was kind of like England's response to the U.S. garage rock scene with bands like The Sonics and the Deviants. Of course, you also had Mod rock going on in England at the same time and i think there may have been some crossover between Freakbeat and Mod but Freakbeat was much heavier.

I wish I knew more about this stuff.

I used to buy records and cds from an old shop in England dedicated to Freakbeat, Psych, mod and other adjacent old scenes called "Freakemporium." Man were they excellent and their catalogues were EPIC. I have a bunch of good stuff from them and even had one of their T shirts which I wish I still had which had a cartoon and said "Freaks with Beats" on it. I used to call them and order from them directly.

Too bad they went out of buisness.

There's also Detour records who I'm not sure whether or not they still exist, and they had a massive catalog of early freak beat, mod, northern soul, psych, acid rock, old school punk, etc.

Fascinating scenes and historical periods.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:44 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Numetal maybe?

Quite the opposite, seems to be a revival of sorts

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:23 pm 

Well, the ones that are truly dead we've probably never heard of lol.

I'd imagine that many ancient cultures had their own forms of folk music that were never even recorded, perhaps even played aside from the most remote little villages in modern times, if even there.

Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:16 pm 

On that note, there are allegedly some Soviet rock scenes that are completely lost to time. Zero evidence left other than memories.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:09 pm 

Atlantean proto-jazz fusion.

It sunk pretty hard some time ago.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:05 pm 

Grunge..? All the pioneers of that style are gone. Pearljam are all that remain but they have become a jam band. I guess you could say Foo Fighters but they are more bubble gum pop rock.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:57 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Grunge..? All the pioneers of that style are gone. Pearljam are all that remain but they have become a jam band. I guess you could say Foo Fighters but they are more bubble gum pop rock.

Mudhoney released an album, a few years ago. I heard that their vocalist still works for Sub Pop, packaging records and merch. Obviously, it’s never going to be the “next big thing,” for the major labels. Alice In Chains actually released an album in 2018. Maybe the bands are fine with it, because not being popular weeds out the posers from the true fans.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:18 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

Mudhoney released an album, a few years ago. I heard that their vocalist still works for Sub Pop, packaging records and merch. Obviously, it’s never going to be the “next big thing,” for the major labels. Alice In Chains actually released an album in 2018. Maybe the bands are fine with it, because not being popular weeds out the posers from the true fans.

I totally forgot about AIC, though they definitely were a part of the Grunge movement, I considered them more just melodic hard rock.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:27 am 

Opus wrote:
Unity wrote:
Hair Metal.
Thing is, no one can define hair metal as a sound. It was just hard rock and AOR - sometimes plain rock - with an image.

There were enough different varieties of it and bands that at times received that label that it is a little hard to pinpoint, but I think it did often have a distinctive sound from those genres. Generally a turbo-charged version of those styles, heavier riffing, higher octane soloing. Usually a bit less bluesy. More wet sounds from modulation pedals (or rack units), more delay, more reverb, also more of the latter applied to the vocals and snare drum and toms. More of a focus on huge, stadium sing along choruses. Vocals often more nasal.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:14 pm 

Can something be considered dead, if a few people still listen to it? There are no bands doing that style and there are no new records. I believe Big Band music would be, if these factors are considered. Just a quick Google search and all of the artists are from the 40s and 50s. Although there was a small revival of it in the 1990s.
Although someone will probably respond, and say that there is still a huge scene in Benin. :lol:

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:03 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
Atlantean proto-jazz fusion.

It sunk pretty hard some time ago.

I see what you did there...

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:58 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
Can something be considered dead, if a few people still listen to it? There are no bands doing that style and there are no new records. I believe Big Band music would be, if these factors are considered.

You fail at searching. :p Big band is everywhere. Here's two, one modern version and one old school concert from three weeks ago.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:41 pm 

aloof wrote:
NWOBHM and britpop.

Haha, no. I can confirm as I have made and played music heavily influenced by britpop. Whether people like it ehhh, don't care. Is it a scene? No. But it's still a style.

The question is flawed really. Music genres don't really die, they come and go. It's the style at the time, like an onion on your belt. There are always people that fall in love with music genres that aren't super popular at the moment, older then themselves even. But then they take that and make it their own and bring that sound back with new energy and passion.

If there is a recording or notation or people passing it down through tradition or playing for each other, music doesn't die.

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:52 pm 

I feel that gothic rock/metal is a genre that is not like what it was in the early to mid 2000's. Specifically I'm talking about bands from Finland like Sentenced, To/Die/For, HIM, Entwine, ect. Most of these kinds of bands have been split for some time and I can't find any new bands that have came out within the last 5 years that have that style. And trust me I've dug deep. Eh, I guess it was just never a huge scene to begin with but still.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:23 am 

Well obviously the overall subgenre is not what it was two decades ago or so. I'm guessing Unto Others doesn't do it for you? You're kind of looking for a pretty specific slant on the sound if they're not close enough, and you also need them to be brand new bands. There are still some older ones that keep putting out new releases. But I can sympathize to some degree, I've been searching for stuff somewhat in the tradition of mid-late 90s The Gathering, and there's just not enough that's quite what I'm looking for, although there's a lot of nice adjacent material. But in a more broad sense gothic rock/metal is far from dead, there's quite a variety of it around, even if it's not as popular as it once was.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next