Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:27 pm 

From a purely visual perspective, I really liked The Green Knight, but a lot of its references seem likely to go over people's heads. It was a confusing watch as a whole. Off the top of my head:

Spoiler: show
I can't imagine that terribly many people will catch that the field of dead is a reference to The Battle of Badon, in which Arthur slays 980 men by himself. I certainly didn't!

The mother figure of the main character apparently being Morgana la Fey is something that maybe should have been spelled out as well.

The skeleton in a cage at the crossroads being a reference to the movie Willow, which came out 3 years before I was born, definitely went over my head.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:47 pm 

I didn't catch the last one! Wow.

I guess Mad Martigan wasn't as lucky in that universe...

I did read that the director loved Willow, so I'm not surprised he referenced it.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:46 pm 

I recognized the last one instantly in the theater.

Then again, I watched Willow obsessively as a kid.

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:30 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
From a purely visual perspective, I really liked The Green Knight, but a lot of its references seem likely to go over people's heads. It was a confusing watch as a whole. Off the top of my head:

I can't imagine that terribly many people will catch that the field of dead is a reference to The Battle of Badon, in which Arthur slays 980 men by himself. I certainly didn't!

The mother figure of the main character apparently being Morgana la Fey is something that maybe should have been spelled out as well.

The skeleton in a cage at the crossroads being a reference to the movie Willow, which came out 3 years before I was born, definitely went over my head.

Yeah, I loved the movie but had to re-watch it and read a little because there's a lot to digest.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:31 pm 

I really need to see it with subtitles. There was a lot going on with just the general dialogue. I picked up a lot on my second viewing but definitely feel like it's a super layered piece of film.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:41 am 

Dune was effin great. I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly blown away. I thought it would be slow and plod along like Villeneuve's Blade Runner because of the length of the film, but I was wrong. Time permitting will go see it again.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:03 am 

I watched a movie called "The Guest". Pretty standard "stranger who is not what he seems to be" movie; Lance Reddick plays too. Solid 2.5/5 movie.

I got places I gotta be!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:32 pm 

Titane slapped

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:01 am 

I watched the original Candyman again, and while I thought it was still a pretty solid, atmospheric horror movie with a wonderful score by Philip Glass and very good acting, it really had dick all to say about racism and slavery. The only thing I could suss out is that the horrors of slavery are being forgotten while its progeny, systemic racism, remains so visible and perennial in day to day life that people think that's just the way things have always been and should always be; they need to be reminded of slavery whenever they start to forget.

But that's really stretching it, and Occam's Razor suggests Candyman being a slave was just the luck of the draw from a hat filled with historical atrocities. If I was some knuckle dragging radlib, I might even suggest it's trying to imply rich, hot white women are the slaves of the 20th century or something, but that's a bridge too far for me.

So it was a good movie but it had nothing to say about any of the serious topics it brought up (which it then reliably dropped just as quickly). It's sure as shit not some stunning work of art people should be angry about it getting a soft reboot.

Necroticism174 wrote:
"I didn't really respond to the fact that the original Candyman is a subtle, masterfully crafted exploration of generational grief and racial oppression

There was none of this. There were a few occluded, vague gestures towards it in the first half, but it didn't come together into anything by the end. Because these gestures were mostly related to its settings (white university with black laborers, housing projects, police station), it's not unreasonable to think the original draft of the script did what you say, but in the finished product virtually nothing materialized. The ending was literally about how Helen is now Candyman, lol. HELEN, yes, fur coat wearing sapiosexual white moderate Helen is now the black slave of yore. Amazing exploration of racial oppression.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:53 am 

darkeningday wrote:
So it was a good movie but it had nothing to say about any of the serious topics it brought up (which it then reliably dropped just as quickly). It's sure as shit not some stunning work of art people should be angry about it getting a soft reboot. . .

The ending was literally about how Helen is now Candyman, lol. HELEN, yes, fur coat wearing sapiosexual white moderate Helen is now the black slave of yore. Amazing exploration of racial oppression.

You'll love the new version then as it wouldn't shut up about all the current political trends even making it so obvious I think most watching it would cringe at how bad it is incorporated into the story (even for people, like you, who would agree with the points it makes). To me it seemed the new film wanted to make a political statement rather than a film while the original wanted to make a film but include some social commentary in it. One turns out to be political PR while the other turned out to be a great film.
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:23 am 

A totaly random pick, except I wanted an old Western: High Plains Drifter (1973)

Directed and starring Clint Eastwood. I was shocked a bit when he starts killing off people and rapes a woman not far into film! Hey, this ain't a good Clint! Well, the rest of the movie explained it all...

A cool mystery Western with warped atmosphere...

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:36 am 

If Eastwood is involved in a western, and it isn't a musical? It's a must-see.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

HumanVulture
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:04 pm 

Some of the better ones I caught at Fantastic Fest:

The Sadness - A plague descends on Taiwan, turning everyone into bloodthirsty fiends. Similar to The Crazies or 28 Days Later - but much bloodier. One of the goriest movies I've seen in a while. Anxious to see if this gets any theatrical distribution in the US. Can't imagine too many theatres will want to pick this up, b/c if it ever does get rated, it's an easy NC-17. Highly recommended.

Glasshouse - Another plague movie, but on a much more intimate scope. Set in South Africa - this plague doesn't make people get violent, it just erases their minds and keeps them at the level of a child. The whole movie takes place in and around the house of one family, whose arrangement is thrown into turmoil when a stranger appears. This is a slow burn, but it's a powerful one that has stuck with me long after the movie ended.

United States of Insanity - documentary about the Insane Clown Posse and the FBI classifying Juggalos as a gang. Had a lot of fun watching this, even those who hate their music I think will enjoy it.

This is Gwar - documentary about...... Gwar (I know, shocking ain't it?). Covers their whole history, lots of live footage and interviews with several of the main players in and around the band.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:41 pm 

Carnival of Souls - 1962 horror movie that inspired many greats, including Romero and Lynch. It's a relatively short, weird story about a woman who survives a car accident, and then decides to take a job as an organ player in another town, and she keeps seeing a weird man.

It's a great movie, it doesn't show that it was made very cheaply (even for the time), with an awesome atmosphere, though it's not a very scary movie, just mysterious and dreamy. It's also the director's only feature movie. 9/10

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:56 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
Carnival of Souls - 1962 horror movie that inspired many greats, including Romero and Lynch. It's a relatively short, weird story about a woman who survives a car accident, and then decides to take a job as an organ player in another town, and she keeps seeing a weird man.

It's a great movie, it doesn't show that it was made very cheaply (even for the time), with an awesome atmosphere, though it's not a very scary movie, just mysterious and dreamy. It's also the director's only feature movie. 9/10

This is a new annual tradition for me to watch every year. Brilliant and surreal. Unexpected and creative ways of storytelling. My DVD copy finally wore out unfortunately - but it's on streaming now so that's good.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:37 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:

Good movie that I'd also recently seen for the first time.

Then I recently watched a weird and pretty cool movie that very much mirrored it and I'm not 100% sure but I think i might have been the movie "Hyde." I've seen so many interesting movies lately I lose track. Anyone see the movie "Hyde" and was that the one where the one went into an instrument store and started playing a crazy keyboard passage and was kicked out just like the scene in Carnival of Souls where the main character was kicked out of a church for playing evil organ music?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:15 am 

Messiah of Evil - A strange dreamlike patchwork of a film that actually comes together quite well... it's surrealistic and works more on feelings than plot, and there are a few parts that are a bit boring on first viewing. The characters are just OK at the end of the day and nothing about the writing really stands out too much - though I do find the pulp Lovecraft-adjacent story pretty cool on the whole. But then out of nowhere this will hit you with these stunningly macabre visuals and occultic, absolutely suffocating atmosphere. It just has an effect on you. That's what I think the job of a horror movie is if nothing else. I really felt something here and the director and everyone were clearly onto something with getting you in this disturbed headspace. I'll see it again.

Black Roses - Just kind of nonsense really; this is some kind of weird slasher movie that may or may not be saying rock and roll is actually evil as this devil-possessed rock and roll act rolls through a small churchgoing town - and if it is saying that, well, the movie does make it look good up to a point, though the absolute garbage monster designs will make you want to convert back to conservative Christianity again. This had weak, toothless kills and the story was what could charitably be called absurd. This was mostly just pretty bad. But it did have a few funny parts early on.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:12 am 

Uncanny Annie (2019) is a surprisingly decent entry in the Into the Dark series, centering around a haunted board game. It isn't great by any stretch, nor is it something worth your full attention, but it does have some genuinely good creepiness at times. It's basically "what if Jumanji was a horror flick," and delivers on the concept. 6/10

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:34 am 

Watched an Australian film called Next of Kin. It seems to be regarded as some unsung classic, but I can't say it really did anything for me. While some of the shots were great, there's such a thing as too slow and basically nothing fucking happens until the last 20 minutes. Brutal.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:28 pm 

Exorcist II: The Heretic - Well, in its defense, the laziest thing they could have done is rehash the vomiting and head spinning stuff from the original. This sequel tries (except near the climax) to do its own thing, it just doesn't work. Lots of scenes with Linda Blair and an adult mentally linked by a machine like the one Doc Brown was trying to invent in 1955. James Earl Jones shows up briefly to explain ........ locust wing sensitivity? Just stick with the original. 3.5 / 10

Although strangely this made me want to re-watch Deliverance. (Same director.)

Censor - A woman's job censoring 'video nasties' inspires her to track down her presumed-dead sister. Mostly satisfying story and nice visuals from a first-time writer / director. 6.5 / 10

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:59 am 

I don't know if I've brought this up here before, but does anyone else love John Carpenter's Dark Star? Truly a low budget oddball, but something about it just works. There's one particular scene that should be considered iconic.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:34 am 

Lair of the White Worm - This was a wild piece of camp horror. Horror comedy can be hit or miss, but this succeeded by just throwing in the most outlandish imagery and gleefully occult/Pagan types of shit possible. The story started off slightly slow but once it got going, there was just no stopping it. Just a fast paced, wicked adventure. The villain hams it up and the kills and chases are exciting. A lot of fun.

Lamb - A stark familial drama with hints of the absurd. There's a lot of silence in this, and you just kind of get sucked into this sparse landscape and these solemn characters. Then things start happening. Talking too much about what this is would ruin it. But I was attracted to the quiet insanity of it all as well as the desperation and the human connection. It's an A24 film - it's artsy, it's a bit inaccessible if you go in looking for anything easy, but it is utterly compelling.

Houses October Built 2 - This is a sequel to a movie that's become a Halloween staple for me, centering around some seedy underground haunted house stuff. The first one was a beautiful simplicity, raw and atmospheric, and it worked. This one just comes off poor - it's all the same characters but now they're desperately trying to chase fame after the events of the first one. So they're rendered totally unlikable now and not in a good way. And the story is just terribly stupid and doesn't have anything that made the first one work - like to the point where I genuinely don't know who this was supposed to appeal to. Pretty easy justification for the 'sequels fucking suck' argument.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:12 pm 

I watched Lair of the White Worm recently as well. Agree with your assessment, lots of fun and it was really interesting to see Hugh Grant and Peter Capaldi so young.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:47 pm 

OK so I'll admit if they made another Friday the 13th or A Nightmare on Elm Street and tried to she-boot the villain as Jasmine Voorhees or Winifred "Freddie" Kruger, I'd be the first to say it sounds like a desperate gimmick. However Hellraiser 2022 will have an actress playing Pinhead, and dammit, I think it could work. Pinhead is so different from most other franchise horror villains that I don't think it necessarily has to be a deep-voiced dude under that leather and makeup. (And I'm willing to let go of the Hellraiser 3 backstory about Captain Elliott Spencer or whatever.)

Anyway...

The Many Saints of Newark - If you haven't seen The Sopranos, don't bother with this prequel. If you have, only watch if you're really curious, and even then go in with low expectations. Criminal / gangster stuff is usually right up my alley and I found this surprisingly boring. Not a good sign when the highlight was a fanservice Uncle Junior insult. 5 / 10

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:01 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
OK so I'll admit if they made another Friday the 13th or A Nightmare on Elm Street and tried to she-boot the villain as Jasmine Voorhees or Winifred "Freddie" Kruger, I'd be the first to say it sounds like a desperate gimmick. However Hellraiser 2022 will have an actress playing Pinhead, and dammit, I think it could work. Pinhead is so different from most other franchise horror villains that I don't think it necessarily has to be a deep-voiced dude under that leather and makeup. (And I'm willing to let go of the Hellraiser 3 backstory about Captain Elliott Spencer or whatever.)

I'd agree that it would feel gimmicky in many other cases but I think the difference in Hellraiser is that the character Pinhead isn't rooted in deep masculinity but is really quite androgynous in appearance. The complete opposite would be Jason who's so much rooted in it having to be a big man with very masculine traits. Some characters are just more suited than others. I believe a female Spiderman would work well while a female James Bond probably wouldn't for example.

Edit: or rather replace work and wouldn't work with being easier or harder to accomplish.
MA's goat fucker. I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, fascist, muslim, muslim lover, PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an "absolute baby"! Feel free to add your projection too. :-)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:19 am 

Jason is a mute and doesn't really even have a character, so it doesn't matter what his gender is. Freddy I could see it working with a female version. Of course the answer I'm most partial to is that it's lame to do remakes like that anyway and it'd be better to just make original stories if possible.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:39 pm 

If you want an example of a female Jason-like killer, check out the Huntress from Dead by Daylight. Female Jason could totally work.

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:23 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
I don't know if I've brought this up here before, but does anyone else love John Carpenter's Dark Star? Truly a low budget oddball, but something about it just works. There's one particular scene that should be considered iconic.

Loved it when I saw it, but that was ages ago. Carpenter is the master of a low budget, and there's none lower than Dark Star, from the looks of it. :D

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:25 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Lair of the White Worm - This was a wild piece of camp horror. Horror comedy can be hit or miss, but this succeeded by just throwing in the most outlandish imagery and gleefully occult/Pagan types of shit possible. The story started off slightly slow but once it got going, there was just no stopping it. Just a fast paced, wicked adventure. The villain hams it up and the kills and chases are exciting. A lot of fun.

I love this movie. Technically, it's folk horror/comedy, I guess, but really, the genre is "Ken Russell". :D Are you a fan of his?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:48 pm 

A woman playing Pinhead is fine. The cenobites in Barker's original Hellbound Heart novella are depicted as these androgynous, almost robotic race of pain-obsessed demons that completely lack any human emotion. Doug Bradley's great, but his Pinhead isn't exactly faithful to the source material (even though Barker himself obviously wrote/directed the first film).

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:11 am 

Kate was fun. They could have cut at least 20 minutes off the back half though. The hamfisted emotional twists at the end felt forced but also kind of like...an homage to all the bad action movies this is a love letter to.

Neo Tokyo ultraviolence. Kill Bill by way of The Raid: Redemption. Lots of pinks and purple. You know the vibes. It was cool. Really enjoyed the fight choreo.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:35 am 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I love this movie. Technically, it's folk horror/comedy, I guess, but really, the genre is "Ken Russell". :D Are you a fan of his?

I guess this is the only one I have seen of his. I did try The Devils but found it largely bad honestly. Didn't end up finishing.

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:47 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Wahn_nhaW wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I guess this is the only one I have seen of his. I did try The Devils but found it largely bad honestly. Didn't end up finishing.

Really? That's very interesting. What did you dislike about it?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:42 pm 

Just seemed like kind of a nothing movie. The characters were all getting annoying and the plot just didn't seem to be going anywhere even after like 45 minutes or an hour or so.

Wahn_nhaW
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:14 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Just seemed like kind of a nothing movie. The characters were all getting annoying and the plot just didn't seem to be going anywhere even after like 45 minutes or an hour or so.

Give it another try, but focus on the atmosphere - the Halloween season is just the right time for it. The plot will come together.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:16 pm 

I really enjoyed Free Guy
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Gravetemplar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:49 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:

Yeah, it's ok. It wouldn't have worked without an actor as charismatic and cool as Reynolds though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:21 pm 

Halloween Kills - for a slasher this was a pretty fucking bold and bonkers movie. I think it's gonna be divisive. The script is what it is, it's as subtle as a wrecking ball demolishing a hospital, but it's cool that this is actually doing something different in a genre mostly about doing the same shit over and over. It's like the Last Jedi of slashers. I am sure some people will hate it, but I like that there seems to be a genuine vision to all this. I don't know - you could make the argument that it's not good, but I really enjoyed myself. Aside from the somewhat more expansive story, it also has some absolutely brutal fucking kills and manages to squeeze out some actual menace out of this old hoary slasher somehow. Interesting.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:47 am 

Lord of Illusions (director's cut)- This movie sealed it for me: Clive Barker is the modern day Lovecraft. Boring, tedious characters and a plot so flimsy you could do it total justice just by writing it on a napkin but it doesn't matter because they're merely a vessel to carry the jawdropping visuals and bone chilling horror concepts. I stress horror concepts because the events in the plot are not scary but the implications--that the pleasing visage we see of our fellow humans is just a facade that shrouds the burbling infinitely self-replicating pustules of fecund fetid fecality that we all actually are--is unsettling in ways that Freddy Kruger can only dream. There's surreal performance art that would make David Lynch salivate, there's sleazy sex and nudity in the most unsettling places, the violence is extreme and while the CGI is ridiculously awful even by 1995 standards, the partical effects are far more plentiful and they are never anything but stunning, arresting even.

Put simply, I loved this movie to pieces even though I wouldn't disparage anyone who hated it. I'd rate it similarly to In The Mouth of Madness only with worse actors but better special effects. If you've only seen the theatrical cut you should seek out the director's cut. The thought of it having less extreme content for the R rating is upsetting and cutting any of that stuff out could only make it worse, perhaps even unwatchably so.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:55 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Yeah, it's ok. It wouldn't have worked without an actor as charismatic and cool as Reynolds though.

Yea, that's probably true.

I like Ryan Reynolds, but I don't LOVE him like it seems most people do.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 788, 789, 790, 791, 792, 793  Next