Dead Kennedys

Reagan Youth

NOFX

Crass

Anti-Flag

Sunbuilder
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:16 pm 

I love Amebix and Subhumans as my favorite Punk bands. I also always really liked the "State Violence/State Control" track by Discharge, but I never really got into anything else from that album or band unfortunately. I also like some Rudimentary Penny stuff.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:15 pm 

All Pigs Must Die, Anti-Cimex, Bad Brains, Bad Religion, Black Breath, The Clash, Disfear, Enabler, Flogging Molly, Less Than Jake, Millencolin, Pennywise, Punky Bruster, Rancid, Skitsystem, Slick Shoes, Trap Them. Somewhat tangential ones like Harm's Way, Mammoth Grinder. A few songs or albums from Green Day, The Offspring and some others. Various other ska, not sure whether to count it. Probably a lot more over the years I'm not thinking of, but that's the bulk of what I usually return to at this point. Essentially I tend to gravitate towards melodic skate punk and the Swedish flavor of crust punk/d-beat.

A fair number of metalcore bands (mostly of the more melodic variety), but primarily ones closer to metal than to punk, so I'll leave them off for now. Same with grindcore and deathcore, though fewer of them.

Various post-punk and related artists, but that's kind of a whole different thing.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:55 pm 

The Misfits are number 1 for me. The classic Danzig era that is. I also love the 2 Graves album they did in the 90's, dumb fun stuff. Then I'm quite fond of The Vandals, Rancid, NOFX, The Ramones, Bad Religion, Circle Jerk, Minor Threat, Discharge, The Exploited, Social Distortion, Green Day (up to and including American Idiot)
Fire walk with me"

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:38 pm 

Never been much of a fan of true punk but there are a lot of punk influenced bands that I have liked, most of the old thrash and so on. I guess Suicidal Tendencies count but I really got into them when they went more into a thrash metal style.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:42 pm 

Bad Brains and Minor Threat are punk bands I constantly revisit, and remain some of my favorites in the genre. I'm also into a lot of crossover thrash like DRI, Suicidal Tendencies, Cro-Mags, and Body Count.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:23 pm 

The Clash, Bad Brains and T.S.O.L. comes to mind and I also like the Philadelphia scene like Flag of Democracy among others but that's about it.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:04 pm 

Two post's above mine both reference Bad Brains, being a DC native, I was familiar with them but didn't consider them punk. I hate to get into these genre arguments but weren't they more of a Ska band? US Ska anyways which was a mix of hardcore, reggae and groove.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 pm 

^No, not exactly. Their early stuff ("Rock for Light" LP) was either balls-out speedcore punk with a few reggae tracks thrown in that were PURE reggae. Their later stuff ("I against I" album, etc) was more of a mix of reggae and punk- sort of like what 311 did only of course, more punk and less commercial sounding.

The "Rock for Light" album was always my fave of theirs, though, needless to say.

I was a huge MDC fan, and of course Jerry's Kids "Is This My World" is probably the best punk album EVER MADE in my opinion.

And Septic Death- the first time I heard them in 1986 it was like, here's a band that just fucking rules like Slayer's "Reign in Blood", only a hundred times meaner and faster.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:43 pm 

I'm a big fan of a lot of the straight up hardcore punk that came out of the 80s-- Youth of Today, Warzone, Judge, Chain of Strength, 7 Seconds, Gorilla Biscuits, Dag Nasty, and of course Minor Threat. Bad Religion was mentioned earlier and I would definitely hold Suffer as one of my all time hardcore punk favorites. Ten Yard Fight was active in the late 90s but their stuff, especially Hardcore Pride, sounds straight out of the 80s and I would recommend them to anyone who's into that particular era of hardcore.

There's a lot of great crust punk as well. The early forefathers of the genre-- Hellbastard, Antisect, Amebix-- are solid but my favorites from that genre came later, bands like Antischism, Nausea, Doom, and Antiproduct. And the line between punk and metal kind of gets blurred here, but for some really great blackened crust, check out Iskra and Gallhammer. Emo and its eventual offspring screamo get a bad rap but I also really like some of the earlier examples of both-- Rites of Spring is that perfect transition point from hardcore punk into emo, and as for the early screamo bands, it's hard to top Heroin, Ampere, and Orchid. There are moments on that first Orchid record that rival grind for intensity.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:49 am 

Punk is one of those genres that, like metal, has a good amount of people that know quite a bit about the various sub genres and important bands throughout 70's/80's/90's. However, I just never really got into many of them. Not that I don't like it, but straight up punk music was never really something I delved deep into. And it's so broad and intertwined with metal that it's often hard for me to feel good categorizing bands as 'punk' without feeling a little weird. Like, for example- Hatebreed is hardcore, which is a derivative of punk... but, like, Hatebreed does not feel punk to me. Nor does Bury Your Dead, or Remembering Never, or really any of that bro-like shoutey hardcore music that I love to listen to. Not that it feels metal either, but it just doesn't have that punk vibe like The Casualties or even Violent Femmes. But.. it is, as much as Darkthrone and Black Sabbath are both metal bands.

Also, is post hardcore "punk"? I fuckin love Dance Gavin Dance, but I don't know if I would consider them a punk band.. or Chiodos... feels strange to even consider those kinds of band punk, kind of like calling Disturbed or Korn metal bands..

That said, I like an absolute shitton of hardcore music, most of it from the last twenty or so years. Backtrack, Hatebreed, Bury Your Dead, Expire, Incendiary, Have Heart, Knocked Loose, Varials, Kublai Khan, The Acacia Strain. There's a lot of others I didn't mention, but that's a good chunk of em. Frankly, I often listen to modern hardcore more than death metal for sheer aggression. Hardcore for aggression, black metal for emotion and atmosphere in a heavy soundscape.

I also grew up playing the Tony Hawk series, which got me into a lot of classic punk bands (as it did millions of people around my age). Goldfinger, The Distillers, The Explosion, Rancid. All great bands.

Weirdest thing- I listen to Blink 182 and Sum 41 vastly more now at 28 years old than I ever did as a kid. Idk why, but something about their music, especially Blink 182, has really hit me as a young adult as opposed to an edgy metalhead teenager who was always looking for the most KvLt Tr00 band out there :lol:. Just kinda relaxed as I got older, maybe even more retrospective. Blinks a great band for that, I've fuckin torn up listening to Adams Song before hahahaha.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:13 am 

Here's my personal top 30, broken into scenes/time periods that made sense...

The Ramones
Sex Pistols
Dead Kennedys
Black Flag
Circle Jerks

The Exploited
Chaos UK
Broken Bones
Discharge
English Dogs

Bad Brains
Minor Threat
MDC
Negative Approach
Poison Idea

Gang Green
SSD
Jerrys Kids
Negative F/X
Slapshot

Agnostic Front
Cro-Mags
Leeway
Crumbsuckers
Warzone

DRI
COC
Cryptic Slaughter
The Accused
Raw Power

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:08 am 

Does Pup count as punk, or are they too much in the pop-punk realm?

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:58 am 

What is punk? Mine would be Fugazi, Unwound and Drive Like Jehu but I don't know what kind of answer are you looking for. Same with Converge and Norma Jean.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:06 am 

My favourite punk band is Amen. I also like crust punk like Driller Killer and horror punk like the Murderdolls.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:28 pm 

I don't listen to a lot of bands anymore, but one that remains from my punk years is Bad Religion. I'm way more of a metal guy, but when it comes to punk, no band even comes close.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:08 pm 

Metalheads disagree on so many things, but Bad Religion being one of the best punk bands might be almost universally agreed upon.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:32 pm 

Listened to a lot of punk in the 2000s when I was in high school. Not so much now. I loved Rise Against, Rancid, Pennywise, Bad Religion, Descendants, Casualties, Alkaline Trio, The Offspring, Propagandhi, Operation Ivy, Bad Brains (including the reggae stuff) etc. I got into the older stuff and the post-hardcore stuff much later around the same time. Which now that I think about it I'm like hmmm

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:03 pm 

I'm old and played in a punk band in the early 90s. We started playing Lookout Records inspired fast pop punk and later went screamo/metal. Biggest bands I've ever played shows with back then were Madball, Blanks 77, SNFU, Lifetime, and Shift. I was lucky to grow up on the East Coast, so I've seen a lot of legendary hardcore bands like Bad Brains, Warzone, Killing Time, Cause For Alarm, Sick Of It All, Slapshot and Murphys Law multiple times. Lots of newer (to me) bands like Earth Crisis, Snapcase, Deadguy, Bloodlet, Converge, too many to remember. I'm a metalhead and a punk for life.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:07 pm 

Agent Orange are really good. I just recently discovered them on Marky Ramones show on Sirius.

Some other great ones are Richard Hell, Bad Brains, Sham 69, 999, Youth Brigade, Black Flag (pre-Rollins) Wasted Youth and Minor Threat. So many good punk bands to listen to. I've always listened to as much punk, as I do metal.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:01 pm 

Punk is the only genre that I'm mostly familiar with through compilation albums. I had several based around the 70's and 80's scenes in England. The bands that caught my attention then was The Damned, Stiff Little Fingers, Sham 69, Cock Sparrer, The Adverts and a few more. I rarely dove in to buy full length albums though.

Around the same time I got into Swedish punk, also through compilation albums. Any punk rocker in Sweden will know of the Definitivt 50 spänn albums. Räserbajs, Dia Psalma, Charta 77, Strebers, Radioaktiva Räker and all the other bands in that same vein. But again, rarely did I buy the full length albums.

I still listen to punk from time to time, and most often playing the compilation albums from my youth. There are some exceptions. I like Dia Psalmas Gryningstid, Totalt Jävla Mörkers self titled, Get Deads Dancing With the Curse, Misfits Famous Monsters (I know heresy!), The Varukers Nothings Changed among others. But overall not an album guy when it comes to punk.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

markhebb
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:54 pm 

I adore Bad Religion and to a lesser extent NOFX, Pennywise and the better Fat Wreck bands like Good Riddance. Propagandhi are amazing- metal heads will love them. I also like the UK 82 stuff and some of the old school US bands- DKs and Black Flag.

Big fan of NYHC as well- but I assume that’s a different discussion.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:23 am 

Too many to mention, but using this opportunity to remind everybody about the mighty Greg Sage and Wipers. It may not be to everyone's taste, and for some it may run counter to the punk ethos, but they call him "the Hendrix of punk" for a reason.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:17 pm 

I've gotten more and more into different types of punk over the years and honestly for a long time it's been my goal to get my knowledge of punk and all its sub-genres to be 50% of what my knowledge of metal is, but that goal is still far far off.

There would be too many to mention, but I'm going to try:

Proto-Punk:

Iggy and the Stooges
The MC5
Death
Radio Birdman

General Punk:

The Dead Kennedys
The Exploited
The Misfits
The Clash
The Damned
The Ramones
Bad Religion
The Germs
Crass
The Queers
Operation Ivy
The Offspring
Stiff Little Fingers
GBH
Blitz

Hardcore:

Black Flag
Rollins Band
Dr.Know
D.I.
T.S.O.L.
Circle Jerks

Psychobilly:

Reverend Horton Heat
The Cramps

Crust punk/Dbeat:

Doom
Amebix
Disrupt
Discharge
Antisect
Nausea
Dystopia
Aus-Rotten
Masskontroll
Destroy
Sore Throat

Fastcore/thrashcore (??...such a vague genre not everyone agrees even exists or what it is...):

Siege
United Mutation
The Neos
The Fix
Plain Wrap!
Septic Death
X-Braniax
Hummingbird of Death

Power-Violence:

Capitalist Casualties
Crossed Out
Man is the Bastard
The Endless Blockade
Column of Heaven
Water Torture

Crossover:

Suicidal Tendencies
Infectious Grooves
D.R.I.
S.O.D.
M.O.D.
Biohazard

Swedish Hardcore:

Skitsystem
Martyrdod

Blackened-crust:

Dishammer
Disrupt
Disfear
Gallhammer
Iskra
Wolvhammer

Black'n'roll and Blackened punk:

Whiskey Ritual
Later Darkthrone
Midnight
Syphilitic Vaginas
Devil Master
Raspberry Bulbs
Shitfucker

I know there's others I'm forgetting. I'm always trying to get into more punk, as well as other genres, but they generally take a backseat to metal so I have to make time for them.

Last edited by Ill-Starred Son on Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:17 pm 

My hometown had a lot of punks in it, and I was good friends with many of them, so I was exposed to the proverbial murderers row of classic punk bands during my formative teenage years. Everything from the Ramones to DS13.

My favorites remain largely unchanged from those years, though. The Misfits, Dead Kennedys, and Toxic Narcotic are untouchable to me. Lately I've been digging into the Exploited, the Casualties, and more recently the Bronx. Black Flag, GBH, and Fear are on/off for me depending on mood. I spent many nights with friends driving around to the amazing ROTLD soundtrack, so I have a soft spot for anything with Dinah Cancer, and I'd be remiss to not mention the Freeze.

And then there's the crossover bands that I love. Suicidal Tendencies, SOD, Cryptic Slaughter...mmmmmm...

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:37 am 

This isn't an uncommon or unique opinion, but for me the absolute best punk out there is the early 80's US hardcore scene-- Minor Threat, Black Flag, Suicidal Tendencies (the debut), Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, Adolescents, Negative Approach, Descendents, 7 Seconds, among others-- IMO one of the best movements in music period.

The later 90's skate punk/Epitaph/Fat Wreck bands like Bad Religion, NOFX, and Lagwagon also rule. BR in particular really do have one of the best, most consistent discographies in punk, they tweaked their sound just enough to keep up with newer bands and actually had lyrical topics that didn't involve trying to recapture their halcyon years as young punks. And I do have a soft spot for full-blown pop-punk like Green Day, blink-182, Sum 41-- some of the first bands I was into, before I got into classic rock and heavy/extreme metal. Green Day still holds up!

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:34 pm 

I'm a sucker for the melodic side of punk. I've never cared much for crust, the punk subgenre metalheads seem most drawn to (though that's not shocking - the metal influence is clear in the genre and I can hear why people enjoy it, even if it's not my cup of tea). I like a few anarcho bands but I'm not particularly into that subgenre either. I do love me some 80s hardcore, though - especially the Descendents, since they influenced the type of punk I enjoy most. I also like the early melodic hardcore bands of the 80s such as Dag Nasty, 7 Seconds, and Gorilla Biscuits.

I like the skate punk sound, as the above poster mentioned. Bad Religion, NOFX, and Lagwagon do indeed rule, with BR being my favorite of the bunch. I also love me some Pennywise, No Use for a Name, Strung Out, and especially Good Riddance. Those early Offspring albums are great too, it's unfortunate how godawful they've become over the years. Oh, and my favorite Propagandhi albums are their first two (especially "Less Talk, More Rock" - great fucking album). I also like that Lookout pop punk sound - see: The Mr. T Experience, Screeching Weasel, Fifteen, Squirtgun and early Green Day (though I like plenty of their major label "sell out" stuff too, sorry - everything up to/including "American Idiot" is great). Also a big fan of Lifetime, Alkaline Trio, Jawbreaker, Samiam, Off With Their Heads, The Menzingers, Dillinger Four blah blah etc.

Oh, and I have an incredibly big soft spot for AFI. I love their Nitro Records punk stuff, I love their extra angsty early/mid 00s post-hardcore stuff, and I love the gothic/post-punk sound they're going for now. I just love that band and they're one of my all time favorites to this day - they were essentially my gateway into punk rock, all because I saw "Girl's Not Grey" on TV one time and thought the video was weird and cool. I was also like... 13 when that came out, so uh... the teen angst was definitely starting to set in. I even joined their aptly named fanclub, the Despair Faction. Anyway, they're probably the reason I love melodramatic and theatrical music so much.

Also, yeah, some of those MTV pop punk bands are fun too. I tend to view New Found Glory as the best of those bands - they're just the most consistently good band of the bunch, and they haven't done anything desperate to try and appeal to modern audiences like blink-182 have with the absolutely godfuckingawful albums "Nine" and "California". That's something I absolutely appreciate.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:41 pm 

I've got a question for people who listed Black Flag. One poster said "pre-Rollins", so that's clear, but a question for the others: Is there a cut-off point and where? Are there only certain parts of their discography you enjoy?

I'm asking because I've learned over the years that I like pretty much every single thing they released, not counting that unfortunate reunion album (and even that's more mediocre than outright bad).

Now, I know My War is big among the sludge crowds, but I like the following three (Slip it In, Loose Nut and In My Head) just as much. To me, all those albums stand up to the classic that is Damaged.

This being a metal board, how does everyone feel about the punk/metal hybrid on those records?

(Hell, I even love the crazy improv stuff on Family Man and The Process of Weeding Out.)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:12 pm 

Oh man, fucking shitloads:

The Damned, Poison Idea, Cro-Mags, Ramones, GBH, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Descendents, Amebix, Cock Sparrer, Bad Brains, Bad Religion, Discharge, Leatherface, Husker Du, The Replacements, Black Flag, Minor Threat, The Saints, Dead Kennedys, The Dictators, The Exploited (second album, mainly), Fear, The Macc Lads, AFI, Misfits, Negative Approach, OFF!, Puke, Sheer Terror, SNFU, Social Distortion, Stiff Little Fingers, TSOL, Turbonegro, Wipers, All, X...

I mean, if you're a metal fan and you can't find some punk you love (or vice versa), there's something wrong with you.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:37 pm 

Unity wrote:
My favourite punk band is Amen.

Nice mention. Good band.

Unity wrote:
I also like crust punk...

how does death metal metal sound instead of death metal?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:55 pm 

Unity wrote:
I also like crust punk...

how does death metal metal sound instead of death metal?[/quote]

Sorry, I don't think I understand your question...

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:51 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
I've got a question for people who listed Black Flag. One poster said "pre-Rollins", so that's clear, but a question for the others: Is there a cut-off point and where? Are there only certain parts of their discography you enjoy?

I listed them as an on/off band for me, depending on my mood, but the stuff I enjoy the most is off Damaged. It seems like that was a good balance of the original balls-out style and what they'd eventually do for My War.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:21 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:

I'm asking because I've learned over the years that I like pretty much every single thing they released, not counting that unfortunate reunion album (and even that's more mediocre than outright bad).

Now, I know My War is big among the sludge crowds, but I like the following three (Slip it In, Loose Nut and In My Head) just as much. To me, all those albums stand up to the classic that is Damaged.

This being a metal board, how does everyone feel about the punk/metal hybrid on those records?

(Hell, I even love the crazy improv stuff on Family Man and The Process of Weeding Out.)

I can't pick one era over another. Each member brought the goods and provided top-level energy. I don't much care for Rollins as a personality or media whore, but I have no issue with him in BF or in his own band. They didn't release any duds, and their free jazzish era is great as well. It's unfortunate that it fell apart as Ginn went to Gone. It was too shortlived. Check out the Live '84 tape that opens with "The Process of Weeding Out." Fantastic.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:14 am 

Crass - Best Punk Rock band ever. Hostile and with an added value.
Sex Pistols - Super fun, super catchy.
The Exploited - Punk's not dead is a fucking classic!
Oh and The Clash I have never considered as punk, in any way, shape or form; just soft rock of the most friendly and conforming kind.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:23 am 

By the way, once and for all, what's the consensus on the everlasting debate whether punk is punk rock or hardcore punk and what's the difference between the two if any?
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:29 am 

ZenoMarx wrote:
Wahn_nhaW wrote:

I can't pick one era over another. Each member brought the goods and provided top-level energy. I don't much care for Rollins as a personality or media whore, but I have no issue with him in BF or in his own band. They didn't release any duds, and their free jazzish era is great as well. It's unfortunate that it fell apart as Ginn went to Gone. It was too shortlived. Check out the Live '84 tape that opens with "The Process of Weeding Out." Fantastic.

Oh, yeah, I love that live album. I mean, My War has its own aesthetic with those Saint Vitus-like guitars, and that's all fine and well, but the album sounds quiet no matter how much you crank it up. The versions on Live' 84, on the other hand, are vicious. Plus you get to hear Kira play on the My War tracks.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:33 am 

I got into music around 1999/2000, so I listened to the big, accessible pop punk bands from around that time. Still a fan of The Offspring and blink-182, and some of the ska punk offshoots like Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish. In the past ten years or so I've gotten into Bad Religion and Pennywise, and more recently Teenage Bottlerocket. There's a lot of other bands mentioned in this thread that I've listened to and enjoyed, and I'll have thrown a load of their songs on a playlist, but I haven't got to know their discography as well as I would've done years ago. One of the unfortunate side effects of having so much music readily available.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:12 am 

Floodland wrote:
By the way, once and for all, what's the consensus on the everlasting debate whether punk is punk rock or hardcore punk and what's the difference between the two if any?

This gets sticky if you aren't deep into it as a passion, and I don't say that in an elitist way. If its your primary music and culture, it is intuitive and obvious when you hear something. I know death metal as a side interest, but I know when I talk about it, I'm using wonky terminology and probably getting things wrong about it that people who love death metal would never mistake and just know.

Just like metal, there are many sub-genres of punk. The Exploited are punk. Minor Threat is hardcore. Crass is anarcho-punk. Amebix is crust. They're all punk, though. To call Minor Threat hardcore punk is redundant, and someone who is primarily a punk listener would refer to them as just hardcore. It's weird how everyone wants to add the suffixes "punk" or "core" to everything. My opinion on that is not the evolution of language, but the generational re-terming of things as they aren't from that time and maybe need to put their mark on everything. Any linguists or sociologists in here?

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:34 pm 

Floodland wrote:
Oh and The Clash I have never considered as punk, in any way, shape or form; just soft rock of the most friendly and conforming kind.

This seems like a pretty elitist view. Sure, they were never the most aggressive punk band, and as they go along they experiment more and more with other styles, but the first two albums I can't see what other genre you're going to call them. You consider "White Riot" and "Safe European Home" as "soft rock?"

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:06 pm 

Floodland wrote:

some kind of revisionism going on there

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next