Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:12 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Today my computer decided to try and give me a heart attack.

I did an update on my computer a few hours ago, and when I turned it back on, I found out that it signed me into a new account and practically wiped out all of my files, including all of my mp3! I had about 1500 albums from 751 unique artists that amounted to a total of 14,902 songs, some of which I doubt I could get back :(

I was panicking and was about to download all kinds of programs to try and fix it when I realized that I should try logging out of the account and log back in. So I did and lo and behold, all of my files are safe and sound :thumbsup:

Woah man that would have been devastating! Glad you did not lose your music.

Although I think that the amount of data might be huge I think you should consider storing it some form of external storage - I think that there are external HDD's with up to 10 TB of storage (I went on the internet and I found this. You could also consider a subscription based cloud service should you be able to afford it, or even a server though that is a stretch.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:30 pm 

Yeah, I don't know what format those are in, but even a small external hard drive would help peace of mind there. My most important files are stored and updated in multiple spots. I have a lot of data that would be virtually impossible to find again or recreate.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:20 pm 

Western Digital is a super good brand when it comes to those. I've heard good things in the past about Seagate though.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:11 pm 

I've had a few Western Digitals, but most of mine are Seagate.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:58 am 

Colin Powell is dead.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:38 am 

MorbidEngel wrote:
Western Digital is a super good brand when it comes to those. I've heard good things in the past about Seagate though.

Both brands are exceptional when it comes to HDD drives. Mine is a 1TB Seagate which I bought for less than 60$.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:16 pm 

Unity wrote:
Colin Powell is dead.

That's two war criminals down, two to go!

Like your reviews?

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:04 am 

So I am writing my thesis and it is really painful for sometimes I do not even know if what I am studying or writing or even the simulations that I run make sense or are correct...

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:33 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Unity wrote:
Colin Powell is dead.

Dubya and Condoleezza?

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:33 pm 

Unity wrote:
mjollnir wrote:
Unity wrote:
Colin Powell is dead.

Dubya and Condoleezza?

I figured they meant Dubya and Cheney.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:43 pm 

Alec Baldwin fucking killed someone, y'all.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:37 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

It's 99.9% likely that it's not even his fault. More accurately it would be "The prop department fucking killed someone, y'all."

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:00 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

It's 99.9% likely that it's not even his fault. More accurately it would be "The prop department fucking killed someone, y'all."

Yeah, I doubt Baldwin's gonna willingly kill someone out of the blue.

Still sucks that this accident led to someone dying :(

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:47 pm 

It's also kinda bizarre with the notoriety of Brandon Lee's death from a prop gun that that could still happen.

Definitely feel for their family, and also Baldwin. I mean can you imagine basically play pretend cowboy and ending up killing someone? Must have been horrifying for everyone on set. Ugh.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:10 pm 

I mean, while it almost certainly was an accident, it is *entirely* certain Baldwin killed someone. People really need to start recognizing the distinction between killing and murder.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:47 pm 

Yeah, it's not like the way you originally phrased it could be misinterpreted in any way whatsoever, no sir.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:25 pm 

Any fans of Demilich should really check out this footage from the most recent Kill-Town Deathfest:

It's their first show in a year and a half, and the tone/sound is pitch perfect -- clear, thick, and heavy as shit.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:08 pm 

stench reel got lots of high quality footage.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:50 pm 

I just found out Hansi Kürsch is a supporter of DIE LiNKE, which is awesome. I mean, their performance in the last election was not awesome, but he is. No wonder he flipped shit at Schaffer, surprised he stuck with him as long as he did.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:32 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
I just found out Hansi Kürsch is a supporter of DIE LiNKE, which is awesome. I mean, their performance in the last election was not awesome, but he is. No wonder he flipped shit at Schaffer, surprised he stuck with him as long as he did.

Where did you read about his support for this? I'd be interested. I love Hansi and was always disturbed by his collaboration with Schaffer. He didn't exactly "flip shit" at him, either. He quietly dumped him some long weeks, or even a month, after the riot, which unsettled me at the time.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:50 pm 

It was first mentioned in an interview he did ages ago here (ctrl+f Die Linke), but I've seen a number of mentions that he's a member of the party. Might not be accurate but at least he's almost certainly not an AfD psycho.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:07 am 

darkeningday wrote:

well the whole attitude that you cant hang with people you dont agree with is kinda anglo. General attitude in the European metal scene is that what you think politically is your own business. I guess however with the rising influence of the US as well as the actual rise of fascism this is not as much the case as it used to be.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:52 am 

I just found out that Finland does not exist. Does that mean Amberian Dawn, also doesn't exist?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:37 am 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
I just found out that Finland does not exist. Does that mean Amberian Dawn, also doesn't exist?

I wish!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:38 am 

You really thought Finland existed?

Last edited by Opus on Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:40 am 

Me two years ago when I started this new job:

"No way I'm going to get dragged in the weeds of IT related work this time. There are people who are paid to do this work, I will rely on them, I don't care how many tickets I need to open or how long I will have to wait"

Me now:

*edits minified javascript file on a prod server using notepad*

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:07 pm 

Slater922 wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Yeah, I doubt Baldwin's gonna willingly kill someone out of the blue.

Still sucks that this accident led to someone dying :(

His unwillingness to hire someone who knew or respected anything about firearm safety and proper usage could be what lead to him killing someone.

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:41 am 

If I found a genie in a bottle and had one wish, I know what what I would wish for. All the money in the world that is laying around. Someone dropped a penny on the ground. Its never been picked up. Its mine. There's an abandoned treasure in the mountains of West Virginia. I get that. In South Africa, someone has dropped a Rand. Its mine too. All this "laying around" money comes to me. It probably would add up to at least $100.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:51 pm 

I am one of few people who picks up empty cans. Mostly these "energy drink" cans. Most of which aren't even empty. I get about $0.1 each. It adds up. I believe it's a sign of the end times when people can't even be bothered to pick up (indirect or direct) money that's just laying around.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:25 am 

Opus wrote:
I am one of few people who picks up empty cans. Mostly these "energy drink" cans. Most of which aren't even empty. I get about $0.1 each. It adds up. I believe it's a sign of the end times when people can't even be bothered to pick up (indirect or direct) money that's just laying around.

I find it to be even sadder that, in Helsinki, at times you can't put down an empty can without some poor person already asking you if they can have it. Yes, teenagers leave their cans lying around, but there's never a shortage of deprived people rushing to get them.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:01 am 

https://yearofthegoat.bandcamp.com/albu ... um-ordinis

I keep forgetting about this band. Good, interesting 70s style rock. They released this thing two years ago and I never even knew.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:49 am 

Empyreal wrote:
https://yearofthegoat.bandcamp.com/album/novis-orbis-terrarum-ordinis

I keep forgetting about this band. Good, interesting 70s style rock. They released this thing two years ago and I never even knew.

Sounds like Scorpions and Ghost got together to do an album collab.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:01 pm 

Not sure I hear much Scorpions - maybe just a general 70s style similarity. They sound like a much better version of Ghost for my tastes.

Actually the closest band to them I know is Wytch Hazel, weirdly enough.

I guess I can hear some Scorpions on this one - their last one though, not really.

It's an incredible fucking album. Anybody into retro shit has got to hear this stuff.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:27 pm 

I have always hated having been born on a holiday, it makes forgetting it so much harder. I have avoided celebrating my birthday all my life and people always act so shocked but why should anyone give a damn about something so arbitrary?

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:44 am 

Luvers wrote:
I have always hated having been born on a holiday, it makes forgetting it so much harder. I have avoided celebrating my birthday all my life and people always act so shocked but why should anyone give a damn about something so arbitrary?

Eh, I love celebrating my birthday and I love attending others'. Something about showing the person in question they're special and that they mean something to you.

I mean, pretty much every holiday is arbitrary. It's a convention, something people agree on in order to give some ceremonial quality to social participation. Now, some holidays I can absolutely do without, but I stay away and let others enjoy them.

EDIT: And hey, happy birthday! :P (I'm guessing you're writing this because you're a Halloween child. :D)

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:42 am 

Luvers wrote:

I have a friend that feels just like you about birthdays. Though to my knowledge his doesn't fall on a holiday.

Me personally, I still like birthdays for two reasons: Excuse to go out for a nice dinner and excuse to eat some cake.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:05 am 

Late to the party but welcome back, Ex el ex... you know who :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:26 am 

jimbies wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
jimbies wrote:
i'm not even a mastodon fan, and I haven't played drums in 10 years; but last night I had a dream last night I was thrown into being the drummer for mastodon at a festival.

I didn't know what the hell I was doing so we played some metal version of twinkle twinkle little star and everyone was boo'ing.

Man... the subconscious mind is a fucking wild thing.

*armchair psychologist*

Your subconscious is telling you you have a strong desire to play the drums again, but you are afraid you've lost a lot of knowledge/skill of the instrument in your downtime and don't want to look the fool while badly performing.

*I am not in any way a psychologist or qualified to interpret dreams*

I think you're on to something, actually.

So, last week I somehow ended up on stage, sitting in with a house band in a bar. We absolutely did not play any Mastodon, but for going in stone cold without even warming up after 10 years, I'd say I did more than hold my own. :-P

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:55 am 

jimbies wrote:
jimbies wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
*armchair psychologist*

Your subconscious is telling you you have a strong desire to play the drums again, but you are afraid you've lost a lot of knowledge/skill of the instrument in your downtime and don't want to look the fool while badly performing.

*I am not in any way a psychologist or qualified to interpret dreams*

I think you're on to something, actually.

So, last week I somehow ended up on stage, sitting in with a house band in a bar. We absolutely did not play any Mastodon, but for going in stone cold without even warming up after 10 years, I'd say I did more than hold my own. :-P

Fucking awesome, dude! :metal:

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:33 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Late to the party but welcome back, Ex el ex... you know who :D

Yoooo, thanks Morri! It's good to be back. Place smells the same and everything :-P

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 300, 301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306 ... 332  Next