Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:55 am 

90's Swing revival.

Kind of joking, but a friend said that he expected it to come back with the wave of 90's nostalgia, and I don't think it works that way, but the thought is horrifying.

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:04 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Well obviously the overall subgenre is not what it was two decades ago or so. I'm guessing Unto Others doesn't do it for you? You're kind of looking for a pretty specific slant on the sound if they're not close enough, and you also need them to be brand new bands. There are still some older ones that keep putting out new releases. But I can sympathize to some degree, I've been searching for stuff somewhat in the tradition of mid-late 90s The Gathering, and there's just not enough that's quite what I'm looking for, although there's a lot of nice adjacent material. But in a more broad sense gothic rock/metal is far from dead, there's quite a variety of it around, even if it's not as popular as it once was.

Yeah, I thought Unto Others were okay but not exactly what I was looking for. After I made my post I did stumble upon Son of Sorrow who are somewhat newer and are very close to what I was wanting so there's that. And yeah, I don't know many bands that sound much like that era of The Gathering either.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:27 pm 

Oh God...I remember the late 90's neo swing revival thing. That was a fad that lasted, oh, maybe a year, 18 months at the most. It was kind of cool, but yet it wasn't. Cool as in "Nobody's done the retro 1940's thing yet, so lets, why not?" but not so cool as in, "What in the serious fuck is going on here with this 1940's crap?" Which was my initial take on it. Yeah, I never really bought into that one either. It made me want to compile all of these swing bands into some six-album set where the music gets more and more fucked up sounding as it progresses, until it devolves into total sonic gibberish with song titles like "Post Awareness Confusions" and "Synapse Retrogenesis." (I bet nobody's thought of THAT yet.)

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:42 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
Oh God...I remember the late 90's neo swing revival thing. That was a fad that lasted, oh, maybe a year, 18 months at the most. It was kind of cool, but yet it wasn't. Cool as in "Nobody's done the retro 1940's thing yet, so lets, why not?" but not so cool as in, "What in the serious fuck is going on here with this 1940's crap?" Which was my initial take on it. Yeah, I never really bought into that one either. It made me want to compile all of these swing bands into some six-album set where the music gets more and more fucked up sounding as it progresses, until it devolves into total sonic gibberish with song titles like "Post Awareness Confusions" and "Synapse Retrogenesis." (I bet nobody's thought of THAT yet.)

I was going to post that Caretaker thing in case we just had the proverbial "million monkeys at a million typewriters" moment...then I noticed that it actually has track titles and you quoted two of them.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:32 am 

I guess really what this thread proved, is that no style of music is totally dead. I could say banging rocks death metal is dead and someone will say no, no. Here's a video. Its still alive in Tuvalu.

The_Grindcrusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:50 am 

Edited thread a bit to give this topic a bit more flexibility.

LVB
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:02 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
RIO. It was a very particular sound centered around a couple of bands and one those bands disbanded the genre died. It's a very small subgenre of avant-prog rock though.

Rock in Opposition? I can't believe that remembered that, if I'm correct. :)

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:24 am 

RIO itself is basically dead, but more broadly, there's still tons of avant-garde/brutal prog around.

Yuli Ban
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:55 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
I totally forgot about AIC, though they definitely were a part of the Grunge movement, I considered them more just melodic hard rock.

Funny you say that, because AiC is arguably just straight sludge metal nowadays
More melo-sludge, but sludge nonetheless. Which, to be fair, is fitting. Sludge is the true "post-grunge."

Makes me wonder what grunge would sound like if it were actually properly revived, with the past 30 years of heavy music to influence it. If Cobain was alive, would he be using harsh vocals? Probably not. Most nü grunge would probably be more informed by stoner/sludge metal than anything. So you know, the more things change...

A genre that certainly feels dead but I don't listen to enough of it to make that call is AOR. I know post-grunge is still around, would that qualify as modern AOR? Or is AOR strictly just "traditional" bluesy hard pop rock? It's probably dead in the same sense post-grunge is "dead." Which means "not explicitly 'dead', just not relevant to anyone but the dads of fans of My Chemical Romance and Fallout Boy, who themselves are pretty much now only relevant to the moms and dads of fans of Yungblud and Billie Eilish."

Terri23 wrote:
aloof wrote:
NWOBHM and britpop.
Nwobhm is very much alive today. The movement might not be around today, but the signature sound of Nwobhm exists today, and bands from the movement are still recording in that sound.

I think the big issue with questions of whether NWOBHM is dead or not stems from the fact that the New Wave of British Heavy Metal itself is basically just heavy metal in its most traditional form (or at least second most, if considering traditional doom metal) that, most importantly, happened to be recorded by a bunch of British kids during a five-year-long period between 1978-1983. It's not 1979 anymore, so by that metric, NWOBHM is dead and gone. If it's the sound you mean, then where do you draw the line between Traditional Heavy Metal and modern NWOBHM?

On that note, I certainly wouldn't be against something like a Third Wave of British Heavy Metal that was basically NWOBHM + some later influences, but the New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal is basically already that. QED.

TheEtreum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:30 pm 

Grunge.

Spoiler: show
Always remember that metal stands for love, peace and democracy.

Fefnir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:27 pm 

I don't think there is such thing as "dead genres" but genres that just passed their time of glory,there is musicians that just technically ended their careers years ago but yet people still listens to them. Music can't just die because is not a living being.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:27 am 

Electronic dance music was everywhere for a hot minute back in the early 2010s, but it seems to have majorly fallen out of mainstream significance and its big artists haven't released anything of note in quite a while. Plus, most have moved on from dance stuff and instead do pop or hip-hop stuff now.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:58 pm 

EDM isn't anywhere close to being dead. Just look in the Billboard hot 100 and you'll find a bunch of songs in that mold.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:30 pm 

It's all hip-hop and pop-derived stuff now. There hasn't been much dubstep, brostep, electro house, or any material like NCS or Monstercat used to release at their peak kicking around on the charts for a while.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:47 am 

Those are very specific types of EDM there, you're moving the goal posts. But even then, huge artists like Deadmau5 have done electro house tracks in the past few years. It's less popular, sure, but nowhere close to "largely dead" like numerous other styles mentioned earlier in this thread are.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:30 pm 

EDM (hate that term) isn't dead, it's just evolved. Songs like these are almost impossible to escape from in radio stations

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:20 pm 

I mean, all I have to do is look at the hot 100 and it takes me all the way to...the second song, to find something EDM-derived (Kid Laroi/Justin Bieber "Stay").

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:51 pm 

Industrial metal? As in what Black Magnet and Realize are doing. It was never a prolific genre, but with those two bands, I was hoping for more to come. It doesn't look like that will happen.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:23 pm 

It's clearly no longer in vogue like it was in the 90s, but there's still plenty of newer industrial metal around, Mick Gordon's Doom OSTs, Circle of Dust, Godflesh, Rammstein, Fear Factory, Author & Punisher, Neurotech, etc.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2