Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:04 pm 

I really, really love Oculus... :[

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:14 pm 

I mean I don't dislike anything I've seen from him (I did skip Ouija 2) - but coming off of Absentia, Oculus was a mild disappointment for me, not knowing what he'd do after.

Update, finished it... good stuff, if not as good as his best work. The story was stuff you've seen from Stephen King and others before, but the real draw to Midnight Mass was this really soulful, philosophical kind of rumination the characters had, a real development and trajectory for a lot of them. There were big ideas behind it all. That set it apart. The last episode did get pretty over-wrought and the dialogue got a bit much, but when it was good it was very good.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:37 am 

Did not care at all for Squid Games. It felt like Black Mirror in the worst ways, where it's 5% interesting concept, 85% hammering home in paragraphs what should only take a sentence, and 10% kinda/sorta delivering on its promise. A perfect example of an idea that would've made for a great movie but is turned into a dull TV series.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fkDiHhzEak

These both look good to me so far.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:28 am 

Been watching Sneaky Pete. Not quite as good as Justified, but still pretty great.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:01 pm 

Midnight Mass is...yeeeesh. Got 40 minutes in and figured out the twist of the series (confirmed by reading spoilers) because, yes, I've seen Silver Bullet and Salem's Lot. No amount of "rumination" can make me think that the bland cinematography, shit dialogue, or "I'll just stare at the floor to show that I'm thinking depressed thoughts" levels of amateur acting (like the kind found in college shorts) are worth wasting another 6.5 hours on this drivel.

Horror only works past the 90 minute mark if there's actual flavor to the dish. This had all the promise of a bland pot roast where the secret ingredient is an extra glass of water.

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:37 pm 

So SNL is actually funny again? Amazing that just adding two genuinely brilliant comedians, James Austin Johnson and Sarah Squirm can suddenly make your show not suck!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:27 pm 

Squid Game... I don't usually like these kinds of shows that have to go so far over the top to make a social point, and I tend to prefer more grounded ways of telling these kinds of social messages (i.e. just not shit with a bunch of armed guards and everyone forced to wear weird matching jumpsuits and whatnot.) It's just more interesting to confine yourself to real-life shit if you're making such a real point.

But at least this seems to have backed it up by actually humanizing the characters. I'm only three eps in but it feels weighty enough to get me interested. Pretty brutal harsh violence and intense stakes.

That said...

Spoiler: show
I think the real weakness of these shows is that you already know you have like 10 whole episodes, so you don't plausibly think the main identified characters are gonna get killed off in episode 3. Shows can surprise you with this sometimes, but even ones like GOT, famous for supposedly killing off characters any time, usually stuck to a formula. I guess I'll see if this show can surprise me this way.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:54 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
So SNL is actually funny again? Amazing that just adding two genuinely brilliant comedians, James Austin Johnson and Sarah Squirm can suddenly make your show not suck!

I can't even imagine what it would take to get me to watch SNL again.

Norm MacDonald doing weekend update is about the level of impossibility I would need to turn that on again (or certain hosts).
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:03 am 

Netflix's Two Sentence Horror Stories is a shitload of fun... some of the stuff in this second season is a bit too on the nose with the writing, but at the same time I really fucking like how this stuff is giving horror stories involving current, diverse issues and characters. The stories have quite a lot of cool ideas.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:31 pm 

If you have AMC+, do yourself a favor and check out Kevin Can F**k Himself. Part pitch perfect satire of the generic "dumb schlub husband with a hot wife" sitcom, part character study of what happens in that hot wife's life when she isn't taking care of her idiot husband. Brilliant work by star Annie Murphy (Alexis from Schitt's Creek), great writing, and a lot of in-jokes about Massachusetts life if you're familiar with the region.

darkeningday wrote:

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:31 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Squid Game... I don't usually like these kinds of shows that have to go so far over the top to make a social point, and I tend to prefer more grounded ways of telling these kinds of social messages (i.e. just not shit with a bunch of armed guards and everyone forced to wear weird matching jumpsuits and whatnot.) It's just more interesting to confine yourself to real-life shit if you're making such a real point.

But at least this seems to have backed it up by actually humanizing the characters. I'm only three eps in but it feels weighty enough to get me interested. Pretty brutal harsh violence and intense stakes.

That said...

I think the real weakness of these shows is that you already know you have like 10 whole episodes, so you don't plausibly think the main identified characters are gonna get killed off in episode 3. Shows can surprise you with this sometimes, but even ones like GOT, famous for supposedly killing off characters any time, usually stuck to a formula. I guess I'll see if this show can surprise me this way.
I just finished this series myself. I also am not usually into this kind of show. This was very enjoyable. They did a great job of keeping me on the edge of my seat.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:45 am 

I've pretty much realized that if a show is #1 on Netflix's "Top Ten" I'm not gonna like it.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:28 am 

Same. It pisses me off that Daybreak, which was unceremoniously canceled by Netflix after only one season, is now listed in the "must watch" lists. The show was a brilliant take on post-apocalyptic fiction, blending the Walking Dead and Mad Max with stuff like Ferris Bueller's Day Off and featured an incredible cast. It felt like if Dan Harmon and the Russo brothers did a season of Community set in a zombie wasteland.

Maybe the renewed interest will get a second season greenlit, but I somehow doubt it.

Locke & Key S2 has dropped. It's about the same as the first season, so far, with some good service paid to the main parts of the comics, but I really, really do not care for how it's veering away from the source material. It doesn't help that the finale of the comics is the only time I've ever gotten emotional reading a comic book, but it seems to me that Joe Hill's work is suffering the same fate as his father's in that film/TV adaptations just seem to miss the mark.

darkeningday wrote:

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:57 am 

Recently I was watching one of the many inane batshit bigfoot documentaries on probably the discovery channel and they asked a group of investigators to raise their hands if they believe bigfoot is an actual creature and almost everyone did. Allow me to use some logic and you tell me if I have legit points or not.

In the thousands of years of the "phenomenon" not one single carcass has been discovered. Not one lol so there goes the proof all ready. It is non existent.

In the thousands of years of human weapons not one has been shot or stabbed dead. Even though sometimes these "sightings" take place 20 30 yards away or whatever and also sometimes right in the clear with no forests or obstructions to get in the way.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:47 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
Recently I was watching one of the many inane batshit bigfoot documentaries on probably the discovery channel and they asked a group of investigators to raise their hands if they believe bigfoot is an actual creature and almost everyone did. Allow me to use some logic and you tell me if I have legit points or not.

In the thousands of years of the "phenomenon" not one single carcass has been discovered. Not one lol so there goes the proof all ready. It is non existent.

In the thousands of years of human weapons not one has been shot or stabbed dead. Even though sometimes these "sightings" take place 20 30 yards away or whatever and also sometimes right in the clear with no forests or obstructions to get in the way.

I've always said the same thing, somebody would have found some remains at some point. I think it's mostly a man made hoax. There might be some cases where what was seen or heard was just an escaped ape or something.

The chupacabra hasn't turned up as a real species either, usually just some coyote with mange.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:07 am 

I know there's not a lot of other fans here, but I figured I'd throw my thoughts regarding the first three episodes of Wheel of Time out there and see if anyone responds, as a long time fan of the book series finally getting to see it come to the screen is pretty big for me.

First off, I think the casting was excellent with the exception of Daniel Henney as Lan, he looks far too young for the part and just really brings nothing to the character. Yes, he's supposed to be stoic, but he feels more lifeless than stoic to me, just really flat acting in general. Otherwise I think all the actors are very strong choices for their characters. I hadn't really seen Rosamund Pike in much else so I wasn't sure what to think of her, but I think she really gets Moiraine. I've heard people saying they don't like the character, but she's really not supposed to be likeable especially at first, so I think that's fine.

Obviously they skipped a bunch of stuff from the books,
getting to Shadar Logoth in the second episode versus like a third of the way through book one, though as far as actual events they mainly just skipped Baerlon, which is fine - Min can easily be brought in later, and they already took care of Nynaeve catching up with them, so it's not a big deal. An easy cut, really, and one that makes sense. I was alarmed at first by the lack of Thom, but they brought him in for the third episode so I'm fine with that.

I do think the visuals on Moiraine channeling are pretty lame, and I think it was a very poor decision not to include the Lews Therin/Ishamael prologue scene from the book, it really sets the tone for the series and provides a hook so the slow intro doesn't throw people off. And even with how much they skipped, the first episode is still rather slow - stuff like Egwene "becoming a woman" is really unnecessary, and just drags things out more. Still, I like most of the other choices they've made, and I've found I'm even OK with the Perrin's wife thing - it speeds up the character arc, which is helpful without as much time to explore characters overall.

I am mad Narg was left out (legitimately, though he's also become kind of a meme in the community), and I would've preferred seeing Mordeth in Shadar Logoth rather than Mat just finding the dagger. Otherwise, though, I've enjoyed it a pretty good amount, and I'm champing at the bit to see the rest!

If no one else cares I won't continue throwing my thoughts into the aether, I just figured I'd see if there was anyone else here interested in discussing it. If so thanks for reading!

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:02 pm 

Watched the first episode of Yellowjackets last night and I loved it a lot. Oh and that leg injury, ugh haha
Fire walk with me"

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:46 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
I know there's not a lot of other fans here, but I figured I'd throw my thoughts regarding the first three episodes of Wheel of Time out there and see if anyone responds, as a long time fan of the book series finally getting to see it come to the screen is pretty big for me.

First off, I think the casting was excellent with the exception of Daniel Henney as Lan, he looks far too young for the part and just really brings nothing to the character. Yes, he's supposed to be stoic, but he feels more lifeless than stoic to me, just really flat acting in general. Otherwise I think all the actors are very strong choices for their characters. I hadn't really seen Rosamund Pike in much else so I wasn't sure what to think of her, but I think she really gets Moiraine. I've heard people saying they don't like the character, but she's really not supposed to be likeable especially at first, so I think that's fine.

getting to Shadar Logoth in the second episode versus like a third of the way through book one, though as far as actual events they mainly just skipped Baerlon, which is fine - Min can easily be brought in later, and they already took care of Nynaeve catching up with them, so it's not a big deal. An easy cut, really, and one that makes sense. I was alarmed at first by the lack of Thom, but they brought him in for the third episode so I'm fine with that.

I do think the visuals on Moiraine channeling are pretty lame, and I think it was a very poor decision not to include the Lews Therin/Ishamael prologue scene from the book, it really sets the tone for the series and provides a hook so the slow intro doesn't throw people off. And even with how much they skipped, the first episode is still rather slow - stuff like Egwene "becoming a woman" is really unnecessary, and just drags things out more. Still, I like most of the other choices they've made, and I've found I'm even OK with the Perrin's wife thing - it speeds up the character arc, which is helpful without as much time to explore characters overall.

I am mad Narg was left out (legitimately, though he's also become kind of a meme in the community), and I would've preferred seeing Mordeth in Shadar Logoth rather than Mat just finding the dagger. Otherwise, though, I've enjoyed it a pretty good amount, and I'm champing at the bit to see the rest!

If no one else cares I won't continue throwing my thoughts into the aether, I just figured I'd see if there was anyone else here interested in discussing it. If so thanks for reading!

That's cool, I'll read them!

I read the books ages ago. I stared out liking them then increasingly fell out of favour and nowadays I like to dunk on them more than anything else... but, the show is fine so far. It trims the fat and makes the insufferable characters more likeable. Hah.

I like Lan actually, I think the casting is fine. But I agree they should have kept the prologue. It'd have been a great hook.

Shadar Logoth was totally a Dark Souls level.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:08 am 

Finally watching X-Files with a handful left of season 1. Cant believe it took me so long.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:23 am 

WHITE LOTUS is probably show to beat this year for me. I don't need likable characters; the dysfunction and animosity and awkwardness of all these people makes it razor-tense and also entertaining. Deft, ruthless social satire. I really just found it all fascinating. Too short at just 6 eps.

YELLOWJACKETS - This is building some interesting stuff. It's got some teenage drama and then mystery and intrigue, and also a wilderness survival plot that seems like it's going to get absolutely fucking bonkers. Lots going on. Definitely a sense of depravity - no skimping on the violence. I'll be curious to see how it develops.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:00 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

That's cool, I'll read them!

I read the books ages ago. I stared out liking them then increasingly fell out of favour and nowadays I like to dunk on them more than anything else... but, the show is fine so far. It trims the fat and makes the insufferable characters more likeable. Hah.

I like Lan actually, I think the casting is fine. But I agree they should have kept the prologue. It'd have been a great hook.

Shadar Logoth was totally a Dark Souls level.

Those books are a MASSIVE undertaking. I'd like to read them some day, I just don't know that it's ever gonna happen.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:59 am 

Finally watching Breaking Bad. Never had anything against it, per se, but I stopped watching TV in general around when it started airing, and just never got around to it.

S1 is a goddamn slog, but only because so much of it involves Skyler. Yeah, I know, she's justified in her actions and attitudes, but that doesn't stop Anna Gunn from being a charismatic black hole. She was the worst part of Deadwood, too, and almost made me quit the series by the third or fourth episode. I had to turn to my partner and ask if she's always featured this much, because I would've tuned out if she was.

I'm trying to say that Anna Gunn is bad.

S2 was a major pick-me-up as the real meat starts to sizzle. Poor Jane. Walt is a prick who keeps burning himself because of pride, but Bryan Cranston is such an incredible actor that his shit becomes compelling by force of will.

Yeah. I'm in it now. I'll just skip S1 if I ever do a re-watch after finishing the series. Because fuck Anna Gunn.

darkeningday wrote:

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:07 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
If you have AMC+, do yourself a favor and check out Kevin Can F**k Himself. Part pitch perfect satire of the generic "dumb schlub husband with a hot wife" sitcom, part character study of what happens in that hot wife's life when she isn't taking care of her idiot husband. Brilliant work by star Annie Murphy (Alexis from Schitt's Creek), great writing, and a lot of in-jokes about Massachusetts life if you're familiar with the region.

Not what I was thinking as I struggled through it. For those who like All in the Family from the 70s, this was somewhat a nod to that. It was more interesting from a technical standpoint and directorially than writing, story, character, or acting. I found those latter things mediocre at best.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:14 pm 

Anna Gunn is a treasure, what a shit take

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:22 pm 

Curious, has anyone seen Legion? I felt schizophrenic after watching that.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:07 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Anna Gunn is a treasure, what a shit take

Each their own, but "I'm the worst part of two otherwise incredible TV shows" isn't particularly endearing.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:19 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Curious, has anyone seen Legion? I felt schizophrenic after watching that.

Season 2 is like watching Scorsese or some arthouse director do a superhero story - arresting stuff.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:38 am 

In his next post acid_bukkake will bemoan how Simon Templeman ruined Just Shoot Me!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:43 am 

Skylar White's character is hated by lot's of people but the actress (Anna Gunn) did a great job and that is why so many are divided on her. The IFT episode really pissed me off but Walter was lying to her, even if it was for the benefit of the family, so you can take sides but you can't say she wasn't a strong figure in that show, like her or not.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:31 am 

darkeningday wrote:
In his next post acid_bukkake will bemoan how Simon Templeman ruined Just Shoot Me!

Nah, more likely to go after Laura San Giacomo

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:10 pm 

I think a lot of people disliked Skyler's character because they thought BB was supposed to be a show that had any truly moral, totally likable characters. I thought Anna Gunn did great at portraying exactly the kind of person Skyler was supposed to be.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:24 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I think a lot of people disliked Skyler's character because they thought BB was supposed to be a show that had any truly moral, totally likable characters. I thought Anna Gunn did great at portraying exactly the kind of person Skyler was supposed to be.

Good observation and I think it's a very similar parallel to the show The Wire, which is the best show ever. BB is on more a micro level compared to the complexity of The Wire but plays on some of the same themes, you have unmoral people at every level.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:58 pm 

Ultimately it's a show about a lot of people doing bad things, which is how a lot of these stories succeed.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:00 pm 

Empy's probably right, because I'm liking Skyler as S3 closes. Anna Gunn is still the weak part of the show (I'm imagining her and Betsy Brandt switching roles and kinda digging the dichotomy there), IMO, but she's given more to do than just be a Reaganite nag and working with it.

It's a goddamn shame Aaron Paul hasn't done much more after this, because the episodes focusing on Jesse have been my favorites so far.

S4 is off to a solid start and, though I know the fate of Gus (cultural osmosis and internet memes), I think the only main anyagonist of a series I've felt was this menacing may have been Wynn Duffy from the early seasons of Justified (whose actor is Jesse's 12-step coach).

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:06 pm 

Yeah if you're onto S4 by now then you know where it's heading with Skyler's character. I was trying not to say any spoilers, but it does keep going.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:28 pm 

Yeah, BB peaked with season 4. I did not care bout anything the series did after that one.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:24 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Yeah, BB peaked with season 4. I did not care bout anything the series did after that one.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:50 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

That's far off, the show and intrigue got better with every season. Very rare show that managed that. Maybe you just lost interest, though, if you were that invested, I don't see how that could have happened.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:51 pm 

The final BB season was easily the best - and the rest of the show was still very good on its own too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 182  Next