Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:56 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Finally watching Breaking Bad. Never had anything against it, per se, but I stopped watching TV in general around when it started airing, and just never got around to it.

S1 is a goddamn slog, but only because so much of it involves Skyler. Yeah, I know, she's justified in her actions and attitudes, but that doesn't stop Anna Gunn from being a charismatic black hole. She was the worst part of Deadwood, too, and almost made me quit the series by the third or fourth episode. I had to turn to my partner and ask if she's always featured this much, because I would've tuned out if she was.

I'm trying to say that Anna Gunn is bad.

S2 was a major pick-me-up as the real meat starts to sizzle. Poor Jane. Walt is a prick who keeps burning himself because of pride, but Bryan Cranston is such an incredible actor that his shit becomes compelling by force of will.

Yeah. I'm in it now. I'll just skip S1 if I ever do a re-watch after finishing the series. Because fuck Anna Gunn.

I remember holding off on it a few years then watched it in three weeks. I watched first first half of season 5 in one night a month before part 2 aired.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:16 pm 

Of shows that peaked too early and I lost interest in, Ozark, They threw everything into the first 4 episodes or so. There was nowhere to go that was of any interest. Pretty easy to predict where it's going, no need to waste my time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:23 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Of shows that peaked too early and I lost interest in, Ozark, They threw everything into the first 4 episodes or so. There was nowhere to go that was of any interest. Pretty easy to predict where it's going, no need to waste my time.

I remember thinking season 1 was pretty fun. Second season lost me within a few eps - just low quality shit man.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:06 am 

oldmetalhead wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Yeah, BB peaked with season 4. I did not care bout anything the series did after that one.

That's far off, the show and intrigue got better with every season. Very rare show that managed that. Maybe you just lost interest, though, if you were that invested, I don't see how that could have happened.

I didn't like the last season at all. The chemistry between Walter and Jesse was completely gone which is what made the show good in my opinion. As a matter of fact, Jesse's character could have been completely gone from the last season and I wouldn't have noticed. The writers seemed to forget he existed at all.

The season was too long, the story too predictable and all characters suddenly lost their charm. The villains were also the worst of the series so far.

I don't know if the rest of the seasons were improvised as well but a lot of stuff from the last season seemed to have been written on the last moment. It got a point we're everything seemed to revolve about a gun they kept teasing and to everyone's surprise, the gun was used as a gun.

I don't know, I just think the writing of the last season was lazy and not exciting at all. Also it was a chore to watch and all the characters were suddenly imbeciles. I also don't like how in the end the message turned out be "drugs bad". None of the endings of any of the characters was compelling at all to watch.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:32 am 

Empyreal wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

I remember thinking season 1 was pretty fun. Second season lost me within a few eps - just low quality shit man.

I thought season 1 worked really well as it's own isolated thing. If they decided to end it right there I wouldn't have been mad. But, I'm in the middle of the second season and while the start was a bit middling, I'm still enjoying it. Nothing groundbreaking, but most of the characters are engaging enough to hold my interest.

Breaking Bad season 5 is absolute gold. Normally I'm a one or two episodes a day kinda person - I like to let it simmer for a bit before continuing, but I binged the last 6 episodes of Breaking Bad in the middle of the night. I couldn't look away. 10/10 ending for one of the greatest shows of all time.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:57 am 

BB Season 5 was just the climax of it all - everything that had been building up in the other seasons come to a head. Lots of stuff just breaking down, lots of more violence. I especially liked the final eight eps - razor-tense, very economical thriller stuff, excellent build ups to the real stuff in the final few.

henkkjelle wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
oldmetalhead wrote:

I thought season 1 worked really well as it's own isolated thing. If they decided to end it right there I wouldn't have been mad. But, I'm in the middle of the second season and while the start was a bit middling, I'm still enjoying it. Nothing groundbreaking, but most of the characters are engaging enough to hold my interest.

I just remember getting super tired of the constant griping and characters just being overly negative to one another in every line they said - just a really lazy understanding of drama I thought. It's been years though so I dunno.

Yellowjackets is coming along. Third ep seemed like it was mostly setting stuff up for later. This show really is throwing a lot at you and I hope it finds ways to tie it all together.

The Dexter revival finally had a really enjoyable episode the other day too - maybe this can finally put a good ending to this old show.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:19 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I just remember getting super tired of the constant griping and characters just being overly negative to one another in every line they said - just a really lazy understanding of drama I thought. It's been years though so I dunno.

Oh yeah the show definitely pushes the "everything is grim and fucked up" atmosphere with every single story beat. The cinematography doesn't help to alleviate that either with the ever-present cold blue filter.

Spoiler: show
The show does introduce some glimmers of warmth between some of the characters - like between the old man living with them and the wife, but let's just say it doesn't last long..

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:31 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Those books are a MASSIVE undertaking. I'd like to read them some day, I just don't know that it's ever gonna happen.

Yeah, I started reading them when I was 13. Even though I'm partial to longer series in general, I don't know if I'd have the stamina to make it through 14 books of that length nowadays.

Morrigan wrote:
That's cool, I'll read them!

I read the books ages ago. I stared out liking them then increasingly fell out of favour and nowadays I like to dunk on them more than anything else... but, the show is fine so far. It trims the fat and makes the insufferable characters more likeable. Hah.

I like Lan actually, I think the casting is fine. But I agree they should have kept the prologue. It'd have been a great hook.

Shadar Logoth was totally a Dark Souls level.

Lan's starting to grow on me a bit. I still think he's the weakest actor among the main characters, but he has potential to continue to grow on me. And yeah, Shadar Logoth does look very Souls-ish, haha. Easily the coolest thing visually so far.

I've had family in town all week so I hadn't had much of a chance to respond to this, and I just saw the newest episode this morning. Thoughts:
Spoiler: show
Egwene and Perrin's storyline is almost identical to the books so far, sans Elyas Machera. I'm fine with this, and I think they've done a good job so far. Mat and Rand's is not the same, but pretty similar, until the end of the episode at least, with the Fade and the dead family. I guess it's meant to be ambiguous as to whether the family was killed by the Fade or by Mat. Mat being a murderer would certainly be a quickening/intensifying of the dagger arc. Since I'm not entirely sure yet in that regards I'll withhold judgment on that possibility. Overall I like their characters and Thom, and I think,that bit is going pretty well.

The most different of course is Lan/Moiraine/Nynaeve encountering Logain here. All of the things we see with Logain were "offscreen" in the books, so it's interesting to see some of how it might have gone. I really like Moiraine's dialogue with Logain at the end and then Nynaeve showing her true power by saving Lan. Then the gentling with all the sisters linking was pretty badass, total departure from the books but I think it was a very good choice in this case, easily the coolest part of the episodes and one of the coolest bits so far.

Very excited to see how things progress from here, though things are a bit stagnant with Egwene/Perrin with comparison to things ramping up in the other plot lines. Hopefully we'll see some things progress with their characters next ep. It does seem like they're cutting out Rand/Mat on the boat with Domon as well, which I guess is fine, I very much enjoyed that passage in the books but it doesn't add much other than get them from point A to B and introduce Domon. Overall I'm very pleased thus far.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:16 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

Yellowjackets is coming along. Third ep seemed like it was mostly setting stuff up for later. This show really is throwing a lot at you and I hope it finds ways to tie it all together.

Same. While I love the show so far, I just hope they don't do an AHS and throw too many things into the pot.
Fire walk with me"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:59 pm 

So far the parts from the past where they're stuck in the woods are the best by far, but I'm sure they'll throw in some other twists with the modern parts too.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:11 pm 

One of the ways I judge a series is whether it ages well with repeated watches. If it is truly a great story, it'll hold up both over time and over many watches later. I found Breaking Bad falls apart to a significant degree with even a second watch. I watched it air from first episode to last. I liked it. With shows I really like, I'll watch an episode 2 or 3 times the week it airs. Something will resonate, and I can't get it out of my head. Those are the best shows to me. I couldn't do that with Breaking Bad. I found I never felt like watching them a second time. I also didn't anticipate, or get excited, about the upcoming episodes while a season was in play. I started watching the series a second time, and I think I made it up through sometime in season 2. Don't get me wrong. I think it was a very good show, but it doesn't rank up there with the greats, like the aforementioned The Wire.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:45 pm 

I'm loving how the theme of Breaking Bad is unrepentant pride. Every major decision by Walt, Skyler, and even Gus has been linked to their ego. Hank is there, too, but the PTSD factors in for a good chunk and that informs most of his decisions between the Salamanca shootout and his re-investigating the Heisenberg meth.

I'm halfway through S4, and I'm trying to figure out Gus's long game with Jesse. I think Walt's right in the general motivation between it, but I'm also getting a sense of earnestness in placing Jesse into positions where he could potentially thrive and prove very useful.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:49 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
I didn't like the last season at all. The chemistry between Walter and Jesse was completely gone which is what made the show good in my opinion. As a matter of fact, Jesse's character could have been completely gone from the last season and I wouldn't have noticed. The writers seemed to forget he existed at all.

The season was too long, the story too predictable and all characters suddenly lost their charm. The villains were also the worst of the series so far.
I don't see how Todd or Jack and his gang were significantly worse as villains than Tuco was, with his cliched, one-dimensional methhead outbursts, though. And if you ask me, what they did with them wasn't fundamentally different from what The Shield (a fellow modern GOAT show) did with the villians during their final two seasons; I mean, they had already had Lieutenant Kavanaugh dominate the story, who was the most compelling antagonist they ever wrote, and trying to duplicate that would likely be a waste of time, so they focused more on the conflicts between the main cast, which worked out fantastically. So, IMO, doing that was the right thing with that show, and it was the right decision with Breaking Bad as well.
ZenoMarx wrote:
One of the ways I judge a series is whether it ages well with repeated watches. If it is truly a great story, it'll hold up both over time and over many watches later. I found Breaking Bad falls apart to a significant degree with even a second watch. I watched it air from first episode to last. I liked it. With shows I really like, I'll watch an episode 2 or 3 times the week it airs. Something will resonate, and I can't get it out of my head. Those are the best shows to me. I couldn't do that with Breaking Bad. I found I never felt like watching them a second time. I also didn't anticipate, or get excited, about the upcoming episodes while a season was in play. I started watching the series a second time, and I think I made it up through sometime in season 2. Don't get me wrong. I think it was a very good show, but it doesn't rank up there with the greats, like the aforementioned The Wire.
I didn't like The Wire as much as BB; I mean, don't get me wrong, it was an ambitious, well-written show (at least for the most part), but it was also a pretty low-energy experience in general, which prevented it from grabbing me the same way that Bad did.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:55 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
First off, I think the casting was excellent with the exception of Daniel Henney as Lan, he looks far too young for the part and just really brings nothing to the character. Yes, he's supposed to be stoic, but he feels more lifeless than stoic to me, just really flat acting in general.

I hope you've seen the latest episode because I thought he was great in that last scene. But tbh I've liked his portrayal since the beginning.

And they've made him younger so there's a less awkward age gap between him and you-know-who for modern viewers.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:04 am 

By_Inheritance wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:
First off, I think the casting was excellent with the exception of Daniel Henney as Lan, he looks far too young for the part and just really brings nothing to the character. Yes, he's supposed to be stoic, but he feels more lifeless than stoic to me, just really flat acting in general.

I hope you've seen the latest episode because I thought he was great in that last scene. But tbh I've liked his portrayal since the beginning.

And they've made him younger so there's a less awkward age gap between him and you-know-who for modern viewers.

Yeah, as I said in my post about episode 4, I thought his performance had improved there and he's starting to grow on me. I hadn't thought about that reason for making him younger, actually, but now that I think about it you're probably right. I don't really think it's necessary, but it may make that relationship more palatable for some.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:44 am 

Almost done with S4 of Breaking Bad, just the season finale left. The cartel party was great, and I'm loving Walt's VERY MUCH DESERVED paranoia. I know what happens in S4E13, because memes exist, but seeing the build to it is going to make it oh so satisfying.

When Walt is spinning the revolver on the table, and it keeps pointing back to him? **chef's kiss**

darkeningday wrote:

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:52 pm 

The North Water (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7660970/)

Really ugly and sweat-smelling series done this year. Colin Farrell surprised me big time. Blood and pus galore! It's a tale of a whale-hunting trip gone wrong, set to the latter half of 1800's. RECOMMENDED!

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:28 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Almost done with S4 of Breaking Bad, just the season finale left. The cartel party was great, and I'm loving Walt's VERY MUCH DESERVED paranoia. I know what happens in S4E13, because memes exist, but seeing the build to it is going to make it oh so satisfying.

When Walt is spinning the revolver on the table, and it keeps pointing back to him? **chef's kiss**

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:43 am 

I wasn't wrong. S4 finale delivered on all the right notes. The series could end right here and I'd be happy, but I know the Fall of Heisenberg is something that a) does happen, and b) NEEDS to happen. Lily of the Valley...yeah. He's got it coming.

S5 opener has me mad because that breakfast looked great. It's silly, but the waitress mentioning a Boston suburb that is actually near Boston (Swampscott) made me happy. You can take the Masshole out of Mass, but can't take the yadda yadda hadda.

Jim Beaver elevates anything he's in, and I wish he was in the show more. He played the arms dealer that Walt bought the revolver from, as well as the new toy that I can't wait to see used in S5E1.

darkeningday wrote:

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:35 pm 

Oh, here's a fun question. For those of you who watched Supernatural, on what season did you give up on it?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:15 pm 

Never did (benefits of watching them all on Netflix from 2016 till the end last year), but those last 4 seasons were rough. S10 was the last one I'd actively call "good," but even that is a bit of a stretch at times. Anything involving Mary was on the weaker side.

Even then, S14 has the second best season finale of the entire series (second only to S5's "Swansong").

darkeningday wrote:

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:57 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Oh, here's a fun question. For those of you who watched Supernatural, on what season did you give up on it?

I think 7 or 8. After Dean was trapped in purgatory or something, I think? I did catch a few episodes of the latter seasons, notably Scoobynatural. Also, despite the drop in quality post season 5, I did like the dynamic with the brothers and Castiel and the episode where they enter "our" world and find their actor selves. Best "funny" episode they did, and probably among my favorite in the series. I always thought they were at their best when they were doing funnier episodes. I mean, the show clearly didn't have the budget to do a "two bros. fight hordes of monsters to prevent the apocalypse", fighting hellhounds the actors were literally fighting imaginary monsters on camera, it was cringe as fuck.

I'd love to see an alternate dimension thing where the series got a budget worthy of its ambitions.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:15 pm 

Four episodes in and Yellowjackets is becoming one of my favorite series of the last few years. I like how they manage to keep you interested in the mystery(mysteries even) while not rushing anything.
Fire walk with me"

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:31 pm 

Nearly finished with season 2 of the '00s Battlestar Galactica reboot. I watched the series around ten years ago and loved it. It feels even better this second time through.

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:33 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:

It was/is a phenomenal series. Anti-heroes everywhere....and you cant help but feeling miserable and "dirty" from it. It creeps under the skin...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:38 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Four episodes in and Yellowjackets is becoming one of my favorite series of the last few years. I like how they manage to keep you interested in the mystery(mysteries even) while not rushing anything.

It hasn't been living up to what I hoped from the first two eps; hoping it picks up soon.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:02 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:

It hasn't been living up to what I hoped from the first two eps; hoping it picks up soon.

What did you think of episode 5?

While I liked ep 4, it did not make the story progress as much as I would have liked. Ep 5 was quite better on this front. The forest part really reach a point of no return for the survivors... shit is gonna hit the fan soon I feel. And present day Misty is quite the creep...
Fire walk with me"

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:47 pm 

2 episodes left in Breaking Bad.

S5 started off rocky, feeling like S1, but holy hot damn FUUUUUUCK does it kick into gear around episode 9 or so.

darkeningday wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:07 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
2 episodes left in Breaking Bad.

S5 started off rocky, feeling like S1, but holy hot damn FUUUUUUCK does it kick into gear around episode 9 or so.
"Ozymandias" is still one of the most heart-crushing episodes of TV I've ever seen, easily.

ThStealthK wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:23 pm 

Finished it.

Yeah. Every bit as great as people made it out to be. This is the first time since Deadwood I've seen a drama that lived up to the hype.

If I'm ranking the seasons, I go...

5 starts slow, showing the mundanity of Walt's life trying to start the business proper, but picks up in spades. My only regret, I guess, is that Uncle Frank feels more like somebody to be used as a build to Gus, even with the atrocities committed under his command.

Can't wait to watch El Camino and then start up Better Call Saul.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:46 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:

What did you think of episode 5?

While I liked ep 4, it did not make the story progress as much as I would have liked. Ep 5 was quite better on this front. The forest part really reach a point of no return for the survivors... shit is gonna hit the fan soon I feel. And present day Misty is quite the creep...

It's pretty enjoyable but I just don't really see what the connection is with the past and present scenes. The scenes in the past are also way more interesting, while the ones in the present have this kind of hokey mystery that I just can't really get into yet. I appreciate that it's trying to build shit up, but it feels like it's really taking its time and depending on audience good-will here. But the acting is good enough that I'm not bored.

saphuchan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:52 pm 

when I watch TV its usually when I watch football or basketball, NFL or ESPN. I have youtube TV so I get those channels easily.
sometimes when I get bored I watch cooking channels like the FoodNetwork.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:56 pm 

I'm in the process of re-watching Mad Men. Top 2 or 3 series IMO. This series would never make it beyond a pitch in 2021. There's zero chance any network in 2021 would touch this type of show, with these characters, in these situations, in that time period. I don't believe they would even dare to tempt cancel culture.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:23 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Finished it.

Yeah. Every bit as great as people made it out to be. This is the first time since Deadwood I've seen a drama that lived up to the hype.

If I'm ranking the seasons, I go...

5 starts slow, showing the mundanity of Walt's life trying to start the business proper, but picks up in spades. My only regret, I guess, is that Uncle Frank feels more like somebody to be used as a build to Gus, even with the atrocities committed under his command.

Can't wait to watch El Camino and then start up Better Call Saul.
Huzzah, another convertee to the cult of Bad...

ThStealthK wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:53 pm 

Better Call Saul's recent few seasons have been easily the equal of BB's best stuff - hope you like that as well.

I'm really digging Succession recently. Excellent work, great characters and pitch black, dry satire.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:30 pm 

I liked Better Call Saul a lot better when it was a show about lawyers. The recent seasons with the cartel stuff have been much worse and a lot more predictable imho.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:48 pm 

Nah the way those two worlds have been slowly colliding into eachother has been masterful so far and every season has been an improvement on the last.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:52 pm 

Like with BB season 5, the way BCS is evolving just seems like the way the story has to go. The writing and characters have only gotten better. But my last rewatch, I mean I'd say even S2 was already almost flawless and had all these interesting themes.

saphuchan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:25 pm 

ok so I watch TV often because i have lots of time on my hands due to winter break and everything, so a show I've gotten back into (and absolutely love) would have to be "Friends"

this show is awesome, genuinely love it. its a 90's classic, and has dry humor which I love.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:53 pm 

Only two groups of Americans love Friends: suburban moms and college kids.

I suppose that's the trade for suburban moms taking the haircuts of college punk girls all those years ago.

darkeningday wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 182  Next