Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mystic_Druid_Princess
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:42 pm 

I want to have an underground black metal theme as my entrance music. AEW was the first mainstream company to have an extreme metal song as a wrestlers theme. Malakai Blacks theme is black/sludge metal

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:33 pm 

Mystic_Druid_Princess wrote:
AEW was the first mainstream company to have an extreme metal song as a wrestlers theme.

Jerry Lynn came out to early Fear Factory, when they were still playing industrial death metal, in ECW when it was broadcast on national television. Seth Rollins also has a pretty deathcore-ish entrance theme in WWE.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:48 am 

AEW Has Made Professional Wrestling Fun Again

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:50 am 

Smalley wrote:

AEW is still a work in progress. They really need to get rid of that "smart mark" attitude, and assume that their fans all don't follow underground indy wrestling with 200 views per show on YouTube. They also need to do something about every match needing to have every flip and move. It feels like they are going in the right direction, but then they'll do something stupid, like the Jericho-MJF feud, which lasted 9 months too long.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:03 pm 

Counterpoint: those indie guys who only have 200 views get major pops when they stroll out on TV for the first time.

Otherwise, I generally agree. It seems the only match types offered are gymnastics routines, telegraphed hardcore, and lame "your turn, my turn" King's Road cosplay. Damn shame that the company that gave us the wonderful Cody/Dustin match a few years back is just offering the same thing each show that a local indie can offer.

darkeningday wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:12 am 

Holy shit, this was fucking emotional:

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

ljjnico
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:23 am 

Is it just me or has the fame gone right to Charlotte Flair's head? Especially with the way she's treated her now former BFF Becky Lynch and how the championship handover went down on SmackDown with Charlotte deliberately dropping the Raw women's world championship.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:51 pm 

Yes and no. She's clearly got an ego, as anybody pushed as hard as she's been as quick as she's been would, but I find it refreshing that an "independent contractor" is starting to hold their ground again.

darkeningday wrote:

ljjnico
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:46 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Yes and no. She's clearly got an ego, as anybody pushed as hard as she's been as quick as she's been would, but I find it refreshing that an "independent contractor" is starting to hold their ground again.

That segment on SmackDown with Toni Storm was the absolute drizzling shits however. Charlotte should be taking Toni deadly seriously as she's won both top women's titles in STARDOM plus the 5★Star GP and Cinderella Tournament in the same year before signing with the WWE and she's also a former NXT UK women's champion as well as the 2018 Mae Young Classic.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:44 pm 

Having not seen the segment (because WWE has been unwatchable for years), I can only counter by saying that nothing done outside of WWE matters within WWE. The rare exceptions have been during, and immediately after, the Monday Night Wars.

darkeningday wrote:

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:48 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Counterpoint: those indie guys who only have 200 views get major pops when they stroll out on TV for the first time.

Otherwise, I generally agree. It seems the only match types offered are gymnastics routines, telegraphed hardcore, and lame "your turn, my turn" King's Road cosplay. Damn shame that the company that gave us the wonderful Cody/Dustin match a few years back is just offering the same thing each show that a local indie can offer.

Agreed. I don't really follow any pro-wrestling any more (I haven't got the time nor the interest enough) but AEW intrigues me. The way they use talent on short term contracts. The way they grab a lot of interesting people from all over the place etc. But the wrestling itself, while ok, doesn't appeal to me. I can't wait for the gymnastics routine type wrestling to go out of fashion. I also loved Cody vs Dustin - amazing storytelling! I also love it when a match feels like a fight ala AJPW in the 90's, NOAH in the 00's or NJPW in the 10's.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

GratefulDeadInside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:22 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
I seem to be the biggest (or at least most vocal) fan on the boards, but I know some others (Festivus, Subrick) watch it as well. Seems like there's a few who used to and dropped off.

Lately I've been getting back into CZW (Combat Zone Wrestling). It started as an American version of BJW (Big Japan Pro Wrestling), a deathmatch-focused company where barbed wire, glass, thumbtacks, and copious bloodshed is the norm. It evolved into something resembling latter-day ECW with less emphasis on the ultraviolence and more on the athleticism of the undercard, doubled down on the gore for a brief period, and has found a pretty good balance of both under the booking of DJ Hyde. Lucky 13 is a favorite, as are OI4K (when Dave Crist isn't being a lazy fuck), but the big selling point on their last 5 years or so has to be Sami Callihan. He had a very brief run in NXT as Solomon Crowe before recently being granted his release, so it's likely he'll return, but there's something about how he treats his matches that make them stand out. There's a sense of urgency to his movement that makes it feel like he's legitimately trying to win a fight for his life that is sorely missing from too much modern wrestling.

Here's one of the better CZW matches of the last few years, Sami Callihan vs. Danny Havoc in the Cage of Death (a modified cage featuring various implements of bloodletting).

I'll probably be adding some talk of Dragon Gate, Progress, ICW, PWG, and (of course) WWE to this sooner rather than later. There's way more wrestling out there than WWE if you have any interest in the pseudo-sport, and most of it's better.

I am a fully admitted pro-wrestling fanatic. I'm not manchild levels of into it but damn, I'm obsessed with this dumb stuff. Attitude era WWF is literally an action movie performed infront of a crowd.

ljjnico
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:57 am 

Is it just me or has Mandy Rose massively improved ever since her return to NXT? She definitely has the look and the charisma but now it looks like she's finally improving in the ring. Jacy Jayne will hopefully learn a thing or 2 from Gigi Dolin (she's into metal music like fellow wrestlers Rhea Ripley, Shotzi Blackheart and Damian Priest) and Mandy.

ljjnico
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:59 am 

Also babyface and heel turns for 2022?

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:28 am 

Hi guys; sorry for the long post, but I've been wondering... how much blame do you think world champions REALLY deserve if they fail to draw during their reigns? After all, when people pick the "worst" world champ in WWE history, most of them seem to point to Kevin Nash first, due to the failure of his reign as Diesel back in '94/'95, but I feel part of that was due to the way McMahon and company were pushing him as a bland, white meat babyface (since, even back in the 80's, the face champions still had some amount of color to their personalities). And, while you could argue that Nash failed to play the role well, I feel that that's more due to the company not playing to his strengths as a performer, since he obviously got over later during the NWO angle.

Also, another factor was the overall creative direction of the company, since Nash was obviously champion in the middle of the New Generation era, when pretty much NO ONE was drawing, at least not when compared to the Golden Age. It feels like some people tend to place all of a promotions's woes on whoever's the current "face of the company", but does anyone really think WWE would've done business like the Attitude-era in 1995 if Stone Cold had just been the champ, but exactly everything else had stayed the same, including all the goofy "occupational gimmicks" down the card, like Isaac Yankem, DDS? What are your thoughts?

ThStealthK wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:14 pm 

The flipside to your defense of Diesel's title run is that business was measurably better before, and after, his reign. Bret Hart's run from WM10 to the Backlund loss, and his run from Survivor Series '95 to WM12, both drew better house show and international business than Diesel's did. A major part of this is on Vince for the booking decisions, namely taking away Diesel's "tweener" attitude that made him stand out and replacing it with the generic "smiling baby face" act that he wanted the top guy to portray, but Nash's further ME runs in WCW didn't prove him as much a draw, either.

The idea of the top champion being to blame for good/bad attendance was always flawed, but it's probably the easiest way to gage overall product interest. There's even been a notable difference in these past few years with whether or not Roman Reigns has been at or near the top, for instance, with shows where he's headlining doing better than ones that he isn't involved in. Ultimately, this idea is outdated, in that I don't think pro wrestling can ever go back to the "one big name" booking of yesteryear, not after the "ensemble cast" formula proved so perfect in the late 90s/early 00s (an often disregarded reason as to why business went down post-Invasion, IMO), but with there being clear income discrepancies when one talent is on top versus another? It's still a relevant metric.

darkeningday wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:05 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
The flipside to your defense of Diesel's title run is that business was measurably better before, and after, his reign. Bret Hart's run from WM10 to the Backlund loss, and his run from Survivor Series '95 to WM12, both drew better house show and international business than Diesel's did. A major part of this is on Vince for the booking decisions, namely taking away Diesel's "tweener" attitude that made him stand out and replacing it with the generic "smiling baby face" act that he wanted the top guy to portray, but Nash's further ME runs in WCW didn't prove him as much a draw, either.

The idea of the top champion being to blame for good/bad attendance was always flawed, but it's probably the easiest way to gage overall product interest. There's even been a notable difference in these past few years with whether or not Roman Reigns has been at or near the top, for instance, with shows where he's headlining doing better than ones that he isn't involved in. Ultimately, this idea is outdated, in that I don't think pro wrestling can ever go back to the "one big name" booking of yesteryear, not after the "ensemble cast" formula proved so perfect in the late 90s/early 00s (an often disregarded reason as to why business went down post-Invasion, IMO), but with there being clear income discrepancies when one talent is on top versus another? It's still a relevant metric.
I'm not saying that business wasn't poor during Diesel's time as world champ (of course it was, because there are objective ways to measure that); what I am saying, though, is that business during the New Generation era was still down in general when compared to where the Federation was at during the 80's, whether it was Bret, Shawn Michaels, Sid Vicious, or whoever else was holding the belt (heck, business even kept going down in '91 when they put it back on Hogan after Warrior flamed out), but Diesel just so happened to be champ during one of the WWF's worst years ever on a creative front, so it's no surprise that business would also be down as well. I guess my main point is that it feels like some people just point to the general business a promotion is doing during a champ's reign as the sole measure of whether they're any good or not, but I think doing that creates the false impression that the champion is predominantly responsible for how well the promotion's doing, when it's more the other way around, and it's how well the promotion is doing in general creatively that's more responsible for what kind of business whoever the "face" is at the time draws.

ThStealthK wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:23 am 

The Undertaker to Be Inducted Into the WWE Hall of Fame This Year

ThStealthK wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:58 am 

WWE Reportedly Pushing for a Steve Austin Match at WrestleMania 38

ThStealthK wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:47 am 

Austin/Owen is confirmed, last I heard.

Still kinda hammers home why I stopped watching when the big MEs and paydays are given to guys who either have, or should have, retired ~20 years ago.

darkeningday wrote:

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:06 pm 

Anyone know if there is any way to watch old Attitude-era Raw episodes other than WWE network?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:06 pm 

There used to be a torrent site that featured a ton of footage that isn't usually available anywhere else (even the Network), and I knew that "taped on air" episodes of Raw were in there, but the site's host was on a Russian server.

darkeningday wrote:

Megatokyo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:08 am 

Am I the only one who's really fucking tired of this Roman v Brock feud? This shit has been going on since 2015 and Vince still expects me to get excited about it.

The whole "champion v champion" thing is kinda neat but mannn, this is boring.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:49 am 

I think its helped that Lesnar is doing "the real him", which Ive been reading that a lot of people like, instead of having Paul heyman talk for him. I just looked at the card and really wonder what theyre thinking making it two nights. At least half the matches look like filler.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:00 am 

Holy shit, have you guys heard about what's happening with Scott Hall?:

= (

ThStealthK wrote:

LordOfTheGallows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:18 am 

Fuck that's so sad man. He really turned his life around in the past few years and then this happens.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:26 pm 

He's still alive, last I heard. They pulled it several hours ago and He's still hanging in there. Hopefully he can pull through, but it's not likely.

darkeningday wrote:

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:28 pm 

I hate to break it to you all, but we lost Scott Hall :(

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... rt-attacks

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:32 pm 

Time to "say goodnight" to The Bad Guy one last time...

ThStealthK wrote:

Last edited by Smalley on Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:38 pm 

Fuck. Pour one out for the Bad Guy.

darkeningday wrote:

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:18 pm 

Devastated. Guy was a monument of my youth.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:27 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Fuck. Pour one out for the Bad Guy.

Perhaps something non-alcoholic would be most fitting since he battled addiction for most of his adult life. I think most saw him not lasting into old age but it is a shame that it happened this way after a few years of finally being clean.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Megatokyo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:31 am 

Slater922 wrote:
I hate to break it to you all, but we lost Scott Hall :(

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... rt-attacks

Best heel in wrestling. RIP.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:56 pm 

It's gonna be so much more depressing to watch a lot of my favorite wrestling channels now too, considering how OSW Review did a lengthy series on WWF pay-per-views from the New Generation era (which obviously featured Razor Ramon a lot), while Wrestling Bios' Reliving The War series has literally had his "You want a war? You're gonna get one..." soundbite in the intro of every episode since this one:

= (

ThStealthK wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:52 pm 

OSW Review is the best. That is all.

darkeningday wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:45 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
OSW Review is the best. That is all.
*fist bump* Them, Wrestling Bios, and Wrestling With Wregret are my three top go-to channels for wrestling on Youtube; love 'em!

ThStealthK wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:54 am 

Although even they mess up sometimes, like Wregret putting the "Pillman's got a gun" segment on this list:

I mean, who cares if it didn't break Nitro's 83 week streak, or if the channel was upset about it? It was one of the biggest precursors to the most iconic period in company history, and it was one of Austin's most iconic moments to boot! Who cares about anything else?

ThStealthK wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:15 pm 

It was also a favorite entry on WrestleCrap, and talked about in the book that RD put out a year before he wrote The Death of WCW. There was also blowback and backlash over police officers drawing their weapons during an nWo segment around that same time, and major heat ~6 years later when somebody pulled a gun during an early TNA segment, so it wasn't a WWF exclusive gripe.

darkeningday wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:52 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
It was also a favorite entry on WrestleCrap, and talked about in the book that RD put out a year before he wrote The Death of WCW. There was also blowback and backlash over police officers drawing their weapons during an nWo segment around that same time, and major heat ~6 years later when somebody pulled a gun during an early TNA segment, so it wasn't a WWF exclusive gripe.
Yeah, but it's still the most iconic moment on Raw that year, by far; I mean, seriously, what other moments on that show from '96 come close to "Pillman's got a gun"?

ThStealthK wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:12 am 

Alright, I'll give you that

darkeningday wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next