Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:59 am 

Being that band is too ambiguous on their metalcore style, was eager to see who on this site digs these guys, what your favourite album is etc
I feel like these have continuously put out high quality releases even when it seems like they've hit peak, they just keep pushing out excellent tunes.

Generically "Jane Doe" is my favourite BUT still feel like "You Fail Me", "No Heroes", "Axe to Fall", "All We Love We Leave Behind" & "The Dusk in Us" are all fantastic releases that follow up if not surpass in their own ways. I might give a list of more in-depth mini-reviews on each album depending how ya'll respond ;)

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:27 am 

Jane Doe was the top of the mountain for me.

It's been all downhill from there for me.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:51 pm 

You Fail Me is one of my favorite albums. Not a great fan of the last three though.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:12 pm 

I love Converge. "The Dusk In Us" was great and I can't wait to hear the new album with Chelsea Wolfe. That should be interesting.

My love for them starts with Jane Doe onwards.

pyratebastard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:06 pm 

I never knew much about them, but I saw the "Jane Doe" set at the Philadelphia Beer & Metal Festival a few weekends ago and they were pretty kickass!

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:54 pm 

I love all the guitar work on their later albums, not a fan of the vocals. Thaw is my favourite song.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:16 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Jane Doe was the top of the mountain for me.

It's been all downhill from there for me.

Ah damn, I love a lot of their later stuff but yeah that album was a game changer

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:20 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
You Fail Me is one of my favorite albums. Not a great fan of the last three though.

Yeah I remember at age 15 watching Rage TV at 1am in the morning and "Eagles Become Vultures" came on, blew me away. Shortly followed by Krisiun's "Murderer" clip. A had 2 new bands to jam after that.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:21 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
I love Converge. "The Dusk In Us" was great and I can't wait to hear the new album with Chelsea Wolfe. That should be interesting.

My love for them starts with Jane Doe onwards.

I love that album, yeah looking for ward to "Bloodmoon". Their 2016 live footage with Chelsea Wolfe was pretty great so I have high hopes.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:22 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
I never knew much about them, but I saw the "Jane Doe" set at the Philadelphia Beer & Metal Festival a few weekends ago and they were pretty kickass!

Jealous as mate. Gutted I've missed seeing them live :(

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:23 pm 

693 wrote:
I love all the guitar work on their later albums, not a fan of the vocals. Thaw is my favourite song.

I've grown to like his vocals especially the punk style moaning vocals he does - an acquired taste

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:24 pm 

The Slayer riffs on Petitioning the Empty Sky are quality. Good record. I believe it is "Phoenix in Flames" from Jane Doe that is the musical representation of a cheetah at full speed latching onto the neck of its prey and then tumbling in a cloud of limbs, chaos, death, and dust for however long it takes hundreds of pounds of two beings to come to a state of rest from 80MPH.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:48 pm 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
I can't wait to hear the new album with Chelsea Wolfe. That should be interesting.

Converge is a band I heard before I was ready for them. Other than a limited amount of death metal and the odd thing here and there I wasn't really into noisy music in the mid-00s when I last consciously checked them out. That's still a struggle of mine, but I've had far more experience with extreme music even outside of metal since then, though there still isn't much non-melodic hardcore that I'm into. Bad Brains is kind of an exception, though it was the reggae songs that kept me going. Anyway, collaborating with her has piqued my interest, so it might be time to give Converge another shot.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:59 am 

I'll be honest, I don't like them as much as I probably should, but I can see why they're such an influential band. I listened to Jane Doe, and I just couldn't get past the vocals. But everything else was amazing. I'll probably give the album another listen sometime soon, maybe I just have to get used to the vocals.

Does anyone have suggestions for which other albums I should try? Preferably one where the vocals are less grainy and shit.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:38 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I'll be honest, I don't like them as much as I probably should, but I can see why they're such an influential band. I listened to Jane Doe, and I just couldn't get past the vocals. But everything else was amazing. I'll probably give the album another listen sometime soon, maybe I just have to get used to the vocals.

Does anyone have suggestions for which other albums I should try? Preferably one where the vocals are less grainy and shit.

Try Axe To Fall or All We Love We Leave Behind.

Last FM

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:51 am 

I tried Axe to Fall. This band is really great, I don't think I've ever tapped my foot harder than I did while I was listening to that album.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:45 pm 

That new album with Chelsea Wolfe is really different. Definitely their most experimental.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:19 am 

Auselesspileofflesh wrote:
That new album with Chelsea Wolfe is really different. Definitely their most experimental.

I actually tried that, I think last week. I really enjoyed it. Definitely different, but in a good way. Might have to check out Chelsea Wolfe's music.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:13 am 

We talk about it more in this thread (and also some in the Decibel top 40 of 2021 thread).

https://forum.metal-archives.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=132985

For Chelsea, I'd recommend Hiss Spun to hear something somewhat similar to the Converge collaboration, it's basically a doom/sludge album (though not quite metallic and riffy enough to be on M-A). Her other albums have lesser amounts of that sound and more focus on spooky, ethereal, gothic folk and rock and darkwave. Pain Is Beauty is my favorite of them.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:28 pm 

As someone who isn't too into metalcore, "Jane Doe" is starting to grow on me. I've especially been getting into the tracks "Heaven In Her Arms" and "Jane Doe" in particular.

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:42 pm 

I guess I'll be the contrarian and confess that I'm absolutely apathetic to Jane Doe. The trifecta that followed, though (You Fail Me > No Heroes > Axe to Fall)? Stellar.

...But in general I'd say that it's one of the three bands that occupy this weird niche I have of bands that I appreciate greatly, but only have a very few albums that I actually like (the other two being Cult of Luna and Esoteric).
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:32 pm 

I listened to Jane Doe again yesterday, and it finally clicked for me. I actually appreciate the vocals now, even if I can't understand a word of them, and the lyrics don't match up. Only line I got was "I want out" in the title track, and that's enough for me. Basically summarizes the lyrical theme for the whole album.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:02 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I listened to Jane Doe again yesterday, and it finally clicked for me. I actually appreciate the vocals now, even if I can't understand a word of them, and the lyrics don't match up. Only line I got was "I want out" in the title track, and that's enough for me. Basically summarizes the lyrical theme for the whole album.

Greatest character arc of all time?

All kidding aside, have you seen the lyric sheets of the CD booklet? They're a hot mess, and intentionally so:

Spoiler: show

It first annoyed me when I got the CD, I wanted to read the lyrics dammit! But then I understood that it was all a part of the album, makes the whole thing seem that much more feverous and delirious. From Genius.com:

Quote:
As with all of the songs on this album, “Jane Doe” doesn’t have any accurate official lyrics. The liner notes are distorted, revealing only a few words. Converge released the lyrics on their website, but they share more similarities with poems rather than a coherent transcription.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:05 am 

Korpgud wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:

All kidding aside, have you seen the lyric sheets of the CD booklet? They're a hot mess, and intentionally so:

It first annoyed me when I got the CD, I wanted to read the lyrics dammit! But then I understood that it was all a part of the album, makes the whole thing seem that much more feverous and delirious. From Genius.com:

Quote:
As with all of the songs on this album, “Jane Doe” doesn’t have any accurate official lyrics. The liner notes are distorted, revealing only a few words. Converge released the lyrics on their website, but they share more similarities with poems rather than a coherent transcription.

Yup, I actually contribute on Genius.com, so it pissed me off even more. I spent half an hour trying to figure out the real lyrics for the title track then gave up.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:46 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Korpgud wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:

Quote:

Yup, I actually contribute on Genius.com, so it pissed me off even more. I spent half an hour trying to figure out the real lyrics for the title track then gave up.

Anyone who can actually figure out the lyrics to Jane Doe deserves a Nobel Prize.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:44 pm 

I've seen Converge live twice in two different sized venues, and they are much more at home at a small venue. Even Bannon said something about that at the smaller venue.

This sort of hardcore (or branch thereof) music is better live when the audience is right next to the stage.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:32 am 

^ no doubt. Only caught them live once. The sound was a bit meh, but the intimacy of the small venue still made for a really memorable experience. I've seen similar bands on bigger stages though, and I know it doesn't really work.

I'm wondering when we'll get another OG Converge album. I do like some of the stuff on Blood Moon, but it's not mainly what I listen to Converge for. And The Dusk in Us left me disappointed, I still haven't gotten into that one. But I love AWLWLB, and any band that can manage to release such a beast of an album so many years into their career / so many years after their classic, is a band I have confidence in.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:56 pm 

I've seen Converge 3 times and the first time was a fucking riot. One of the best shows I've ever been to.

Last FM

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:22 pm 

The Bloodmoon: I album is stunning. Loved The Dusk In Us too and am rocking the Beautiful Ruin EP now too - six minutes of fucking pure carnage and mayhem.

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:20 am 

^oath. They're a pretty diverse band

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:39 am 

alexo666 wrote:
I've seen Converge 3 times and the first time was a fucking riot. One of the best shows I've ever been to.

Envious that you've seen them that many times.
I missed them on their "All We Love We Leave Behind" Australian Tour and then missed their most recent one due to selling out at a shitty venue and I worked early mornings as a cleaner. Next tour I am not missing out.

Reply to topic