Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OCD means Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:20 am 

Some parts of Minute of Decay sounds like metal riffs. I don't know... I'm a newbie.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:13 pm 

OCD means Death wrote:
Some parts of Minute of Decay sounds like metal riffs. I don't know... I'm a newbie.

I don't try to overclassify anymore. If you like it, then enjoy the crap out of it until you don't. People will always try to overclassify music genres in a subtle effort to either weed out things or elements they don't like or even to project their sense of superiority without looking like they are projecting their sense of superiority.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:39 pm 

Yes. The Beautiful People, The Reflecting God, New Model No.15, Vodevil, and many others.

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:28 pm 

The whole album Portrait of an American Family is pretty goddamn heavy, I don't know if it's considered metal here but I discovered it via Headbangers Ball and loved it. It has some industrial hints but nowhere near as much as the later albums.

Seeing what a douche he is and not liking the direction he took with his music anyway, I won't listen to his shit anymore. Another stack of CD's I need to purge from my collection.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:04 pm 

The unfortunate thing is that all the overzealous parents who insisted he was bad news appear to have turned out to be right after all.

OCD means Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:41 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
OCD means Death wrote:

I don't try to overclassify anymore. If you like it, then enjoy the crap out of it until you don't. People will always try to overclassify music genres in a subtle effort to either weed out things or elements they don't like or even to project their sense of superiority without looking like they are projecting their sense of superiority.

I guess they are just more like "Noise Rock" in Antichrist Superstar era

OCD means Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:51 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:
The whole album Portrait of an American Family is pretty goddamn heavy, I don't know if it's considered metal here but I discovered it via Headbangers Ball and loved it. It has some industrial hints but nowhere near as much as the later albums.

Seeing what a douche he is and not liking the direction he took with his music anyway, I won't listen to his shit anymore. Another stack of CD's I need to purge from my collection.

I don't listen to "their" music since The Golden Age of Grotesque. ACSS is nice and extreme I have been listening to this album also the demo "Antichrist Final Songs". Mechanical Animals is a huge style detour but I still like some songs like Great Big White World

OCD means Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:52 pm 

Unity wrote:
Yes. The Beautiful People, The Reflecting God, New Model No.15, Vodevil, and many others.

The album TGAOG is off to me cuz it is too electronic

edit: electronic not electrical

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:17 pm 

oldmetalhead wrote:

It is actually in my top 10 of favorite albums. As far as his other releases, I like a song here or there. That's really it. I had befriended Scott Putesky in the early 2000's. He told me his biggest influence, was a guitarist that played with Siouxsie and the Banshees. I believe he told me John McGeoch, which I always thought was kind of interesting. Never heard anyone list him as their biggest influence, even though he was pretty influential. At least in that world. Manson has become another one with LSD. He has fired everyone. He even played all of the guitar on an album or two. Really, he thinks he is in league with Daisy or John 5?

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:40 pm 

I haven't kept up with what he's done since Eat Me, Drink Me so I can't speak to what he's done from that point forward but the majority of Antichrist Superstar is 'metal' to my ears with an industrial tinge what with Reznor and folks from his NIN team involved. Right off the bat with Irresponsible Hate Anthem to The Beautiful People are certainly metal riffs. Little Horn, Angel with the Scabbed Wings, and the title track as well. Tourniquet is debatable but it's a really cool riff.

The title track from Mechanical Animals is heavy as well and several songs from Holy Wood too.

It seems that any metal element left the band with Jeordie White.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:20 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
He has fired everyone. He even played all of the guitar on an album or two. Really, he thinks he is in league with Daisy or John 5?
Which album(s) did he play all of the guitars on? I'm not as clued up as some on Manson admittedly, but I've never heard this.

OCD means Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:12 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:
He has fired everyone. He even played all of the guitar on an album or two. Really, he thinks he is in league with Daisy or John 5?
Which album(s) did he play all of the guitars on? I'm not as clued up as some on Manson admittedly, but I've never heard this.

There are few songs Manson wrote such as Minute of Decay, Godeatgod, and some songs he wrote with his band memebers. So it can't be he played all of the guitar on an album.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:09 am 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
The unfortunate thing is that all the overzealous parents who insisted he was bad news appear to have turned out to be right after all.

^
For the wrong reasons, but yeah.

Bushido
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:27 am 

This is the New Shit does.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:44 pm 

Does it matter? Isn't that subjective?

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Reply to topic