Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:59 am 

Yeah, what you can expect Chrome to do long-term is basically what IE used to do while they were the dominant browser (I was there Gandalf, 3000 years ago).

Simply put, browsers are implementations of a web specification. Browsers are free to implement that specification as they see fit, but adhereing to that ensures that web can be developed for all browsers. This saves companies a massive amount of money and time when launching new services, because their applications will work on all browsers and there's no need to target different browser implementations specifically. Anyway, when a browser becomes dominant, they are tempted to begin to bend the specifications so that web developers are forced to accommodate for the differences - because no developer wants their application to not work on the dominant browser. The idea is that this would lead to most web development effort being put into making web applications compliant with the altered specification, to the detriment of every other web browser. The worse the performance will be on non-Chrome browsers, the more people will switch to Chrome, solidifying their dominance. Web developers will target Chrome even more intensely, because fewer and fewer users are using any other browser.

So, fuck that noise, of course.

But if that sounds too depressing, remember that IE was way worse at this than Chrome has yet hinted at being. This, too, shall pass.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:06 pm 

YO, DUDE, KANSAS IS FUCKING AWESOME.

LISTEN TO ICARUS - BORNE ON WINGS OF STEEL AND LISTEN TO MAIDEN BEING BORN.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:37 am 

So I stumbled upon this video and I can't help but think that Tony Martin sounds like an old, albeit less-skilled Dio here. :lol:

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:45 am 

It amuses me too much to see an email from Earache saying "Decapitated: 20% off!"
the dismal stench of The Chicken Bone Gallows on the Plains of Mediocre Desolation was unleashed upon the unsuspecting world by the unholy rusty lawnmower molester horde that is Satan's Prenuptial Charcuterie from the endless field of tombs that is Butthill, Alabama

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:42 am 

I find myself listening to the same albums I bought in my high school years. As in, most of what I listen to are albums from the mid to late 2000's. "A Twist in the Myth," "The Book of Heavy Metal," "Enemy of God," "Eidolon," "Rise of the Tyrant," etc. I know it's common for people to be nostalgic of their teenage years, but I think that era of metal was especially good.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:56 am 

I don't remember the exact details, but most people identify most strongly with the music that they listened to when they were 12-13.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:11 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
I don't remember the exact details, but most people identify most strongly with the music that they listened to when they were 12-13.

I believe it. I didn't start listening to metal until I was about 15. Before that, I listened to my parents' pop albums like Billy Joel and Elton John, and still to this day I listen primarily to more melodic metal. So I guess that checks out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:31 pm 

Cobalt - Slow Forever has been rolling over me like a goddamn wave. These guys say they're into Hemingway and Hunter Thompson but honestly this album is the best sonic equivalent of the book Blood Meridian than anything else I have heard. Utter nihilistic oppressive stuff.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:40 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

I think it often extends to early 20s.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:14 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:

Every once in a while, you see these research/survey articles, but they are to be taken with a grain of salt. Often the methodology is shoddy, the sample is not representative... But even beyond that, just knowing people and talking to them about music, we all know that this is largely not true. I mean, at least in my experience it's not true - I'm not like that, and most people I know, whether total fanatics or casual listeners, aren't either. There's always a whiff of sensationalism in these articles. "We're gonna reveal something about your habits that you never thought to be true". And then it's mostly not true anyway, because, of course it's not. :D

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:55 pm 

Yeah, 99.9% of what I listen to was not on my radar back in 2001, and a good majority of it didn't even exist yet.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:59 pm 

I usually see it as a range rather than those two specific years. It's fairly intuitive though, the teenage years are where we're most impressionable with relation to our peers, when we're forming our identities, and when we have the most time to explore. Comparing it to our own experiences and friends who are also musically adventurous skews the sample, because we're not like normal people in that regard.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:30 am 

For the normie population, that doesn’t get really into music, it’s probably teenage years, and 20s, but, to the exclusion of anything else. At least, that’s the biggest trend.

I didn’t even listen to music, at all, until I was 17. I didn’t get the ‘raised on the classics’ upbringing. There was no Led Zeppelin, or AC/DC, playing in the house I grew up in. The first band I got into, was Dying Fetus.

I had gotten access to better internet(not 56k dialup), and could watch YouTube videos. Some kid, who I got high with, before class, had thrash and death metal shirts, and I, being a teenager with edgelord curiosity, asked him which bands were really insane, and violent. He told me “when you get home, get on YouTube, and look up Dying Fetus, kill your mother/rape your dog.”

Naturally, this sounded like something cool, and I quickly learned, to hate falses, and to not false, and be an elitist. I’m now more open minded about music, but that’s how I eventually ended up here.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:01 pm 

I'm hard of hearing, so I didn't really pay attention to music much when I was a kid. It was only around 14-15 years old when my friends were into Pantera and Sabbath and stuff that I really started diving in. I like a lot of the shit I played in high school still, but also so much more than that.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:30 am 

The guy that runs I, Voidhanger Records has been diagnosed with covid and is apparently in a pretty bad way. From the I, Voidhanger Facebook:

Quote:
I, Voidhanger records mastermind is fighting against Covid at the hospital.
We wish to him the very best in this challenge .
Label activity will be on hold until he will be back on duty.
Metal Odyssey eshop (official eshop of I, Voidhanger records) is still active to support the label.
"Our fight will never end
For it is the legacy of the true"

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Gabriele Gramaglia of Cosmic Putrefaction and Vertebra Atlantis here.
Luciano, the leader of the label, asked me to give you all this communication that I do with heavy heart and the utmost concern.
Unfortunately Luciano is now hospitalized in sub-intensive care unit and he is not fine at all.
I was incredibly shocked when I received this news from him and my hands right now are trembling.
That is the major reason for delays in communication with him that may have occur to anyone, me included, the past few weeks, and that is the worst I could ever have thought of.
Right now all we can do is to gather around him with our hearts and just hope and wish him nothing but the best.
I'll try to be in touch with him as much as possible and I will keep you posted as soon as possible about his conditions.
Thanks a lot for the attention,
Gabriele

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:52 pm 

Lmao Hasan Piker got banned (temporarily) from Twitch for saying "cracker."
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:04 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Lmao Hasan Piker got banned (temporarily) from Twitch for saying "cracker."

KEKW

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:38 pm 

Vaush has been banned, also.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:31 pm 

Yes those statements have to be taken with a grain of salt, but if you happen to get into something awesome before 16, I think you'll be more into it than someone who got into it at 20.

I got into Led Zep, Black Sabbath, old Scorpions and Deep Purple when I was around 14 and until 16. I am now bound to pursue fandom of that universe until the rest of my life. I'll get down to solo Cozy Powell albums and obscure stuff that has to do with the Deep Purple family so I can feel like I'm discovering more old stuff.

I was also in so-called hair metal, and thrash, at the same age, and into grunge (somewhat) at 17, and death metal, black metal at 19, etc.. but I'm now just a casual fan of those genres.

And the stuff I was into at 12-13, like hair metal, AC/DC, "new" Scorpions.. also just a very casual fan now

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:48 pm 

Aforementioned problem with Discogs - gone. Everything back to normal. No Firefox updates, no changes made to the system, which makes me think it was something to do with the site itself.

saphuchan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:34 am 

ive lost complete track of time in here

what time is it :(

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:18 pm 

Just figured out a strange fact. Assuming every person who ever lived made it to the age of 70 years old and you lined up all the feces exerted from all the humans since the dawn of humans. And then you lined the feces up in a straight line we get this huge number. 2,200,000,000,000 miles of feces lined up in a straight line.

Over two trillion miles. :bow:

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:38 pm 

And on that note.... why do some grindcore and death metal bands revolve their lyrics around feces? I mean, who's that for? Is their target demographic elementary school kids?

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:14 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
And on that note.... why do some grindcore and death metal bands revolve their lyrics around feces? I mean, who's that for? Is their target demographic elementary school kids?

Wait, you mean you don't like shit?

Nah, to be honest I don't have a serious answer to that.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:56 am 

I'm not entirely sure, but I do find it puzzling that people pretend Gutalax are some kind of novelty when Lugubrum released two conceptual albums about the shitter like over a whole decade earlier and it's not even their best material.

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:06 pm 

In Mob Rules, when Ronnie goes "AAAHHH COME ON!!!" in the intro.. I used to think of it as a rallying cry of someone leading a horde or a mob, going into an epic fight.
But nowadays, that my life has gotten me where I am, in my mid-40s and nothing exciting going on, it sounds more like an exasperation cry..
Like when something should be working but it's not.

My car won't start.. "AAAHHH, COME ONNN!!"

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:23 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Usually adults. But, ones that are still stuck in junior high, mentally. I say this, because while you have the rare exception, like Gutalax, that just talk about feces, most are also about coprophilia, or rape. Just edge, for the sake of edge. Death core bands, that scream about misogyny slasher violence against ex girlfriends, sometimes have big fan bases. Death and grind bands that focus on feces, can brag that they’re way more underground, and all the “pussies” are too shocked to listen to them. The only live shows of such bands, from my YouTube research, seem to be scattered club shows, in Mexico, and obscene extreme fest.

I think it’s less serious, than most death metal bands, with controversial lyrics. There’s one, called Urtikaria Anal, which wear gimp masks onstage, and have a dominatrix whipping them. Might be fun to see live, I think. But the music is usually less important than shock imagery, and usually isn’t very good. I’ve yet to find a fecal lyrics band that isn’t shit music.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:19 am 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I’ve yet to find a fecal lyrics band that isn’t shit music.

That's kinda the point though, right? :lol:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:39 am 

Lugubrum is legit amazing, but it's not like they only sing about shit. They just have an extremely brown aura. Easily one of the greatest black metal bands of all time though.

For the few hip hop fans here: I just discovered SonnyJim and it's like a unicorn sighting. A UK rapper that I'm actually OBSESSED with. I've been a diehard rap fan since 3rd grade (now 35) and I've NEVER found a european rapper I could tolerate let alone get psyched about. Can't recommend the album "New Phone Who Dis" highly enough. He doesn't try to sound American, he doesn't try to sound hype. His beat selection is the epitome of grimy NY boom bap shit. Dope word play. I can't handle how good this is, it's like when I first discovered Griselda.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:01 pm 

I'm not well versed in UK hip-hop, but I'm am quite fond of The Four Owls. Leaf Dog is the best MC of that band too.
Fire walk with me"

Last edited by Waltz_of_Ghouls on Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:35 am 

Doing chores sucks.
Doing chores because someone else demands it also sucks.
Doing chores that are in your field but not getting the chance to do them properly, because your dads and uncles play the big man with everything, and just being there for the extra help sucks major ass.
Doing chores and being reminded that "you still do not know jack shit even if you are studying engineering" - because studying engineering means that you learn anything about anything - sucks the most nipple twisting, head bashing, shit storming ass.

Rant end. Sorry y'all but this was not my day.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:14 am 

I keep reading these articles where Sammy Hagar claims he was approached by Pantera’s management to replace Phil Anselmo.

I know it’s a bullshit story, and I am sure there are a few Pantera songs he could actually pull off, but the thought of Sammy Hagar of all people trying to do stuff like “Fucking Hostile” or “Slaughtered” or “Suicide Note Pt. 2” is absolutely hysterical to me.
Obliteration

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:32 am 

I just turned 50. ...yay...

I'm going to go to sauna with my loyal friend Horna the Cat, drink a few beers, and then maybe post a few brainteaser wordplay thingies, like last year. Been lazy, though, just eight done at this point. I had some trouble during the past week, including ramming my lady friend's car when backing out of the yard and whatnot, so time has not been kind to my aspirations. But I may be able to squeeze a few more before Boxing Day, and perhaps someone has some fun with them.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:49 pm 

Happy birthday, dude!

Merry Christmas everyone. I'm going to spend it at work but hopefully all you guys get to do something fun today. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:19 pm 

Happy birthday Napero. Here is to another 50 years of you in this world. A metalhead alive makes the world a better place.

Merry Christmas to everyone. Hope that Santa brings you the best presents.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:16 pm 

Delicious night time scotch.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:16 am 

I've been on this site for years but it's my first time in this thread (one of very few times I've ventured beyond 'Metal discussion', and that was only to visit 'Favourite punk bands').
So what's this all about then? Random bollocks-talking?
PS: Happy whatever.

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:32 pm 

Yeah, this is the post whatever, shoot the shit thread.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:54 pm 

In case you didn't know.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 2:40 pm 

Opus wrote:
In case you didn't know.

...I'm just gonna assume this is a parody. There is NO WAY that this was made to be taken seriously.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 303, 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309 ... 332  Next