Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:43 pm 

Rock the casbah? Come on now. Songs like that make me appreciate bands such as Crass even more. Nothing elitist there, just facts.
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:06 pm 

Floodland wrote:
Rock the casbah? Come on now. Songs like that make me appreciate bands such as Crass even more. Nothing elitist there, just facts.

That was from their 6th album, around six years from their start. I'm not a fan myself, but...

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:18 pm 

Black Sabbath isn't a metal band, just listen to "Solitude", that's just new age hippie music, I mean, come on...

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:31 pm 

LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Floodland wrote:
Oh and The Clash I have never considered as punk, in any way, shape or form; just soft rock of the most friendly and conforming kind.

This seems like a pretty elitist view. Sure, they were never the most aggressive punk band, and as they go along they experiment more and more with other styles, but the first two albums I can't see what other genre you're going to call them. You consider "White Riot" and "Safe European Home" as "soft rock?"

The Clash are absolutely punk rock and have always been known as one of the great early punk rock bands.

Obviously they mixed in a lot of that sort of rocksteady and/or early ska influence, but they were always a punk band first and foremost, and to call them "conforming" is just silly.

My favorite song of theirs has always been "Death or Glory", and if this isn't an old school punk song then I don't know what is. They possibly influenced just as many if not more punk bands than almost anyone else: https://youtu.be/2NRSQBSZdKI

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:19 pm 

Yeah. There's plenty of room to not like the Clash (I think all of their work is pretty lame, personally), but not calling one of the most influential punk bands a punk band is silly.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

chuggingpus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:36 am 

favorite punk band of all time is the Stooges

favorite punk band from the 80’s is Genocide
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ9g3dUM134

favorite current punk band is the OC Rippers
https://ocrippers.bandcamp.com/album/bo ... -21-demo-2

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:48 am 

I don't listen to any traditional punk, but I'm a huge fan of modern hardcore punk. My favorites are Knocked Loose, Vein.FM, Every Time I Die, Harm's Way, and Kublai Khan TX. Basically all of the big names in the genre right now.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:09 pm 

I got interested in it, from being interested in metal, so I love bands like GISM, and Integrity. You can be both punk and metal, it’s a “spectrum.”

I think that with a lot of punk, it’s harder for the music to be really memorable, because it tends to be less “artistic” than metal. A lot of the best bands released a small volume of really good material, then broke up, or, were constantly changing their sound. Black Flag is a name that people will think of, when they think of cookie cutter hardcore, but they weren’t. Their experiments really took hardcore to other places, artistically, and it was all accomplished by a bunch of anti-prog hooligan assholes.

I like the Wipers, Hüsker Dü and a lot of other indie rock. Mudhoney, and the other Sub Pop bands are good. I think that “smells like teen spirit” was actually the first pop song I ever liked, back when I was an elitist, who wouldn’t listen to anything that wasn’t “true.” It helped, that Nirvana had some heavier songs, and even after going pop, still had some punk attitude, and kept trolling the mainstream.

I will probably never, ever, be part of the straight edge lifestyle. I love doing cannabis, and credit it with helping me see a way around a lot of trauma induced ways of thinking. And I’ve been a beer snob, from a young age. But I consider Minor Threat to be essential rock music. Ian McKaye wrote the lyrics for most of the songs, while working in a ticket selling job, selling tickets to posers, full of hatred. He didn’t intend for straight edge to become a gang, or even a trend, for anyone else. And most of it avoids generic social commentary, for face to face, street level criticism, of his real life acquaintances.

You can’t ‘save the world,’ if you don’t save yourself. You can’t influence the masses, if you don’t, first, tell your friends, why they should quit fucking around. And they also broke up, and didn’t make another album, just because they could. That’s as punk as you can get.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:05 am 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
I've got a question for people who listed Black Flag. One poster said "pre-Rollins", so that's clear, but a question for the others: Is there a cut-off point and where? Are there only certain parts of their discography you enjoy?

I'm asking because I've learned over the years that I like pretty much every single thing they released, not counting that unfortunate reunion album (and even that's more mediocre than outright bad).

Now, I know My War is big among the sludge crowds, but I like the following three (Slip it In, Loose Nut and In My Head) just as much. To me, all those albums stand up to the classic that is Damaged.

This being a metal board, how does everyone feel about the punk/metal hybrid on those records?

(Hell, I even love the crazy improv stuff on Family Man and The Process of Weeding Out.)

I read an interview with Glenn Danzig many years ago where he talked about some of the punk bands he liked and, referring to Black Flag, he said something to the effect of "It's not pre- and post-Henry, its really pre- and post-Chuck" and that makes sense because once Chuck was out the band was truly just Greg's vision and when people talk about the Rollins stuff they don't like, they mostly seem to be referring to "My War" and beyond. I love all that stuff and I even enjoy the first two Gone albums to some extent. Unfortunately, Greg lost the plot somewhere along the way and everything just became aimless noodling and wasted jamming. Watching videos of the most recent incarnations of Black Flag is sad because Greg is really awful.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:34 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
Wahn_nhaW wrote:
I've got a question for people who listed Black Flag. One poster said "pre-Rollins", so that's clear, but a question for the others: Is there a cut-off point and where? Are there only certain parts of their discography you enjoy?

I'm asking because I've learned over the years that I like pretty much every single thing they released, not counting that unfortunate reunion album (and even that's more mediocre than outright bad).

Now, I know My War is big among the sludge crowds, but I like the following three (Slip it In, Loose Nut and In My Head) just as much. To me, all those albums stand up to the classic that is Damaged.

This being a metal board, how does everyone feel about the punk/metal hybrid on those records?

(Hell, I even love the crazy improv stuff on Family Man and The Process of Weeding Out.)

I read an interview with Glenn Danzig many years ago where he talked about some of the punk bands he liked and, referring to Black Flag, he said something to the effect of "It's not pre- and post-Henry, its really pre- and post-Chuck" and that makes sense because once Chuck was out the band was truly just Greg's vision and when people talk about the Rollins stuff they don't like, they mostly seem to be referring to "My War" and beyond. I love all that stuff and I even enjoy the first two Gone albums to some extent. Unfortunately, Greg lost the plot somewhere along the way and everything just became aimless noodling and wasted jamming. Watching videos of the most recent incarnations of Black Flag is sad because Greg is really awful.

Not a bad point, but what complicates things is that Dukowski was there when a lot of those song were written. I'm sure you're aware of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Demos

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:13 pm 

Wahn_nhaW wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:
Wahn_nhaW wrote:

Not a bad point, but what complicates things is that Dukowski was there when a lot of those song were written. I'm sure you're aware of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Demos

This is truth, but once Chuck was out, those songs and albums were ultimately executed via Greg's vision. I mean, really, the band was always pretty much Greg's vision, although Chuck exerted considerable influence (more than Henry, really). And the 1982 demos are awesome. I wish that line up had done more!

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:40 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
This is truth, but once Chuck was out, those songs and albums were ultimately executed via Greg's vision. I mean, really, the band was always pretty much Greg's vision, although Chuck exerted considerable influence (more than Henry, really). And the 1982 demos are awesome. I wish that line up had done more!

You're right, and I gotta say, I prefer it that way. My War and Slip it In are pretty demented and all the better for it. Maybe Dukowski would have made them more grounded.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:21 am 

Huge punk fan here.
The Exploited, GBH, Discharge, Amebix, Antisect, English Dogs, Rudimentary Peni, Conflict, Dead Kennedys, Misfits, The Casualties, Bad Religion, Anti Cimex, Wolfbrigade, Hellshock, etc etc...
Also lots of Spanish punk such as Eskorbuto, Vómito, Andanada 7, early SA, Chicharrica, Sudor, Silla Eléctrica, Último Gobierno...
And I'm a sucker for aggressive female punk vocals: Sacrilege (of course), Death Evocation, Lifeless Dark, After the bombs, Misantropic, Slant...
I would say I'm pretty much 50% metalhead and 50% punk.

Last edited by Lagartija on Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:31 am 

Acrobat wrote:
I mean, if you're a metal fan and you can't find some punk you love (or vice versa), there's something wrong with you.

My thoughts entirely.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:51 pm 

Whole lotta glossing over Wendy O and the Plasmatics, by myself included, and we need to remedy that.

Wendy O was a fucking goddess.

darkeningday wrote:

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:56 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Whole lotta glossing over Wendy O and the Plasmatics, by myself included, and we need to remedy that.

Wendy O was a fucking goddess.

Yes, I also liked The Plasmatics.

And for some reason when I think of the Plasmatics I also think of shock rock, though in no way similar at all, The Mentors are hilarious IMO, and have some punk elements.

If not for them I'm not sure Gwar would even exist, but we might be going a bit far astray to call them punk.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:01 am 

Maybe based on the later works, but early Gwar (including the first LP) was straight up punk, and that attitude (and general song structure) stayed true until Brockie died.

darkeningday wrote:

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:26 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Maybe based on the later works, but early Gwar (including the first LP) was straight up punk, and that attitude (and general song structure) stayed true until Brockie died.

Well I'm a huge fan of early Gwar but I think they were definitely both metal and punk, probably a little bit more metal, but either way they were always great.

I think the last album of theirs I heard was We Kill Everything so I really haven't followed them much since Brockie died and my favorite albums were the early ones, especially This Toilet Earth, Scums Dogs of the Universe and America Must be Destroyed.

They were always a fusion of metal and punk. You can't say there wasn't metal in there.

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:51 am 

brain hammer wrote:
I'm old and played in a punk band in the early 90s. We started playing Lookout Records inspired fast pop punk and later went screamo/metal. Biggest bands I've ever played shows with back then were Madball, Blanks 77, SNFU, Lifetime, and Shift. I was lucky to grow up on the East Coast, so I've seen a lot of legendary hardcore bands like Bad Brains, Warzone, Killing Time, Cause For Alarm, Sick Of It All, Slapshot and Murphys Law multiple times. Lots of newer (to me) bands like Earth Crisis, Snapcase, Deadguy, Bloodlet, Converge, too many to remember. I'm a metalhead and a punk for life.

"I against I" by Bad Brains is one of my favorite albums!

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:09 am 

Dead Kennedys
Bad Brains
Pure Hell
Adrenalin OD
Buzzcocks
Wire
The Offspring
Discharge

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:17 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
They were always a fusion of metal and punk. You can't say there wasn't metal in there.

Never would...outside of Hell-O, which is pure punk.

darkeningday wrote:

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:07 am 

I'm not the biggest punk rock fan but I did listen to my share of punk/hardcore bands in the past. The Clash is absolutely the best punk rock band there is. I'm also into Dead Kennedys, Black Flag and Agnostic Front. I also was into '90s pop punk like Green Day and the Offspring even '77 revivalists Rancid.

Here in the Philippines in the '80s, the underground music scene was dominated by hardcore and punk bands. Here's just a few of them:

Betrayed

G.I. and the Idiots

Intoxication of Violence (IOV)

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:40 am 

Y'all need depression.

Texas King
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:57 pm 

My favorite punk bands:

Sex Pistols
Dead Kennedys
The Damned
(early) Clash
Stiff Little Fingers
Bad Brains
Discharge

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:18 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I've gotten more and more into different types of punk over the years and honestly for a long time it's been my goal to get my knowledge of punk and all its sub-genres to be 50% of what my knowledge of metal is, but that goal is still far far off.

Siege
United Mutation
The Neos
The Fix
Plain Wrap!
Septic Death
X-Braniax
Hummingbird of Death

I know there's others I'm forgetting. I'm always trying to get into more punk, as well as other genres, but they generally take a backseat to metal so I have to make time for them.

Ha ha ha ha, someone mentioned Hummingbird of Death! Props to you, bro!

I'm surprised anybody's even heard of this band.
Yeah, they are (were? if they're still around...) a killer local band, playing the hyper fast shit which I loved, but they weren't that well known outside Idaho, as far as I know.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:27 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
To call Minor Threat hardcore punk is redundant, and someone who is primarily a punk listener would refer to them as just hardcore. It's weird how everyone wants to add the suffixes "punk" or "core" to everything. My opinion on that is not the evolution of language, but the generational re-terming of things as they aren't from that time and maybe need to put their mark on everything. Any linguists or sociologists in here?

I'd wager that this has more to do with the fact that the Hatebreed style of mid paced chuggy hardcore has so firmly become it's own thing with its own spinoff subgenres like beatdown that it just kinda makes sense to retroactively change "hardcore" to "hardcore punk" to help differentiate the very different styles. Yeah I know Bad Brains and Minor Threat came before Madball and Sub Zero, blame the punk scene for doing it backwards and not just coming up with a new name.

Anyway, to contribute to the original intent of the thread, it's definitely not uncommon for metalheads to also like punk, but I do think I'm a bit of an oddity in the "headbangers who like punk" camp due to the fact that I really don't care for the hardcore stylings and much, much prefer the more melodic skatershit. Old school hardcore, youth crew, d-beat, crust, just none of it really works for me all that much. I like Black Flag as much as anybody but I've listened to Discharge like twice in the last decade. I guess I do like one subsect of hardcore in that I primarily listen to melodic hardcore but ya know.

My favorite band of all time is Bad Religion. They weren't necessarily my gateway into punk but they were the first punk band I got really obsessed with and wound up truly opening the doors to the whole genre for me. There was probably a solid month or two in 2009 where they were literally the only band I listened to. Seeing them play a Riot Fest Aftershow in a small bar with a max capacity of like 150 people was the closest thing to a religious experience I ever had. My "obscure" favorite is without a doubt The Rebel Spell and I'm absolutely heartbroken that I hadn't heard of them until the vocalist died. Absolutely phenomenal melodic hardcore that utterly dominated my listening schedule for the last year and a half despite only having like two hours of music recorded. The first album is solid but their stretch from Days of Rage through Last Run is completely unfuckwithable, with the Four Songs About Freedom EP being quite possibly my favorite fifteen minutes of music of all time. Can't Fool Me is a top ten all time song for me and I am a Rifle isn't far behind really. Can't gush enough, check em out if you have an interest in the style. I'm also an absolutely massive sucker for the Fat Wreck sound, so basically anything super fast and mega melodic is bound to be a hit with me.

If you're primarily a metal guy and want to give punk a try, I suggest actually not starting with the more metal-friendly bands like DRI or Amebix or Discharge or whatever, and would instead point you towards Propagandhi. It might make sense to go for more metallic bands but honestly I think you should take a genre on its own merits instead of looking for outliers who already appeal to you, and in that respect Propagandhi is the perfect middle ground where they are a punk band that plays by punk rules but also throws in loads of little metalisms for any wayward headbangers to latch onto. They're recognizable as a great representative of punk to an outsider while still being incredibly unique and having basically no soundalike clones that I can think of. They have so many great songs that metal fans could easily enjoy. Just uhh... skip the first two albums if any of these songs intrigue you. I like them plenty but they're very different and they didn't really become the beast they currently are until Today's Empires, Tomorrow's Ashes.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:32 pm 

ZenoMarx wrote:
To call Minor Threat hardcore punk is redundant, and someone who is primarily a punk listener would refer to them as just hardcore. It's weird how everyone wants to add the suffixes "punk" or "core" to everything. My opinion on that is not the evolution of language, but the generational re-terming of things as they aren't from that time and maybe need to put their mark on everything. Any linguists or sociologists in here?

I like to say hardcore punk, because "hardcore" is also a term in other genres.

Fefnir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:21 pm 

Dead Kennedys Uber Alles!
Besides that, Pennywise and NOFX for the 90's punk, (would include some bad religion songs but they never conviced me.) And Adolescents S/T album

Sword of Skelos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:51 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I think the last album of theirs I heard was We Kill Everything

Oh Nooooo! That is a terrible place to stop. That is easily their worst. I forgive them, as being so experimental allowed them a huge range of creativity, but that one was not so good. Every full album after that is solid metal, with punk undertones, and very good. Blood of the Gods is more hard shock rock, I suppose.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:44 pm 

'Violence has arrived' is a great record.
RIP Dave Brockie, I interviewed him once and he was great to chat to, huge punk fan too.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:13 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I'm also an absolutely massive sucker for the Fat Wreck sound, so basically anything super fast and mega melodic is bound to be a hit with me.

I'm not sure I've quite thought of it this way before, but it seems like the power metal of punk. Not the super fluffy power or the grittiest USPM, but more like the analog to Helloween.

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:31 am 

I really only like the snotty 76-7 stuff like The Damned, X-Ray Spex, The Drones, Slaughter And The Dogs, Boys Next Door, Dead Boys, The Saints, Eater, The Adverts, London, Cock Sparrer...

~Guest 2944
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:01 am 

How does East Bay Ray rank among guitarists? Punk guitarists and or guitarists in general. I prefer guitarists that use effects, over shredding. Tom Morello, Daisy Berkowitz and Miguel Rascon. Where do you think EBR ranks?

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:38 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:
How does East Bay Ray rank among guitarists? Punk guitarists and or guitarists in general. I prefer guitarists that use effects, over shredding. Tom Morello, Daisy Berkowitz and Miguel Rascon. Where do you think EBR ranks?
Because of the Punk documentary, I revisiting the DKs a bit. 5-minute tracks on Frankenchrist is too longwinded for me, but that album does spotlight how much East Bay Ray can sound like David Gilmour. At times, I swear he's borrowing note for note from Meddle. All the DK guys are good players.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:02 pm 

Sword of Skelos wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I think the last album of theirs I heard was We Kill Everything

Oh Nooooo! That is a terrible place to stop. That is easily their worst. I forgive them, as being so experimental allowed them a huge range of creativity, but that one was not so good. Every full album after that is solid metal, with punk undertones, and very good. Blood of the Gods is more hard shock rock, I suppose.

Yeah, I was just thinking the other day I'm going to download all the albums since then that I missed.

I always loved them.

My favorite is still This Toilet Earth, but Scumdogs of the Universe and America Must be Destroyed aren't far behind.

Not sure if anything they have done since can top those but I'll have to see.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:45 pm 

wizard_of_bore wrote:

I feel like the DKs were really underrated as players.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:27 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
wizard_of_bore wrote:

I feel like the DKs were really underrated as players.

I don't know, East Bay Ray and D. H. Peligro are held in high regard everywhere DK is mentioned from what I've noticed.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:44 am 

Figured i might getban answer here...

What happened with the recording on Minor Threats cover of Steppin Stone? Fades from a mono sounding with no bass, to having a more full sound.

Accident or intentional?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:07 pm 

I wondered about that myself. That one track seems to have a completely different production and guitar sound than the rest of the tracks on the album. It was obviously recorded during a different session, and probably added to the album as an afterthought.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:54 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
My favorite is still This Toilet Earth, but Scumdogs of the Universe and America Must be Destroyed aren't far behind.

Not sure if anything they have done since can top those but I'll have to see.

They literally put out their best work after you stopped listening. Violence Has Arrived, War Party, Beyond HellI, and Lust in Space are what kinda re-canonized the band, especially with the singles off War Party ("Bring Back the Bomb" and the title track).

darkeningday wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next