Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:50 pm 

Installing Death's Door right now, as a little treat to myself for getting a new job.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:50 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Installing Death's Door right now, as a little treat to myself for getting a new job.

I've been gifted that, but so far I find it pretty underwhelming...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:00 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

I hope the new job goes well.

I don't have anything relevant to say about Death's Door, but I LOVED Resident Evil 8. I'm a glutton for that RE4 gameplay. Plus, I've enjoyed the story and where I think they're headed with it after this game.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:02 pm 

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. They hired me on the spot which always feels nice. It's a place that manufactures 3D printed orthodontic retainers. A bit of a pay cut from my last gig but also a HUGE step away from being slaved to a desk in a phone center.

My wife is OBSESSED with the Resident Evil games but she literally only wants to play RE4 over and over. Maybe I should turn her onto 8!

Morrigan I remember you mentioning that! Anything in particular about it? Just a snoozefest for you? I'm glad to have snagged it on sale. I'm honestly a sucker for the love letters to old Zelda. Hyper Light Drifter will forever be my favorite game of all time. Death's Door doesn't feel on that level, by initial impressions, but I do like the way combat and exploration feels. I wouldn't say there's been too much difficulty thus far but I've only defeated the tutorial boss that was like a big cathedral. It took me two attempts. Also a corvid with a sword is peak character design in my book.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:23 pm 

I really liked Death's Doors. It's obviously not as good as Hyper Light Drifter but it really scratched the itch of an isometric Zelda-like combat focused game. More games like it? I already know Bastion, Children of Morta, Transistor, etc.

Currently playing the complete version of Ghost of Tsushima on PS5. It made me like the game even more. The lethal difficulty is pretty cool, you actually have to think encounters a bit more and it's always great to see a game that relies on faster combat for high difficult settings instead of spongy enemies. Iki Island is cool so far.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:54 pm 

I just found it boring. It's not awful, but it doesn't do anything exceptional, and it's kind of a slog. Movement speed is excruciatingly slow (game devs, if I'm spamming the dodge button just to get from point A to point B faster than moving normally, you have failed -- sorry), most maps are fairly uninteresting (the witch house was ok), and it just doesn't grab me. I don't know if I'll continue honestly.

FWIW I do like it a bit more than Hyper Light Drifter, which I found really really boring and dropped fairly quickly...

The crow character is cute though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:27 pm 

Bioshock Infinite is one of the best games I've ever played. I can't describe how I felt while playing it for the first time, the entire setting and art style is the perfect vibe, even the dialogue and flashy combat still sticks with me.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:05 am 

Just finished INSIDE and what the actual fuck did I just play. I was really loving it until...

Spoiler: show
THE BLOB.

Fefnir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:20 pm 

DanielG06 wrote:
Bioshock Infinite is one of the best games I've ever played. I can't describe how I felt while playing it for the first time, the entire setting and art style is the perfect vibe, even the dialogue and flashy combat still sticks with me.

Agree with you. probably one of my top games,even after so many years of first playing it. Every aspect of the game (Plot,gameplay,graphics) shooked me. i wish the other games in the saga were as good as that one

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:04 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Just finished INSIDE and what the actual fuck did I just play. I was really loving it until...

THE BLOB.

You didn't like that?!

Easily one of the most batshit crazy endings to a game ever. I fucking loved it!

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:07 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:

THE BLOB.

I loved that actually. Limbo is such an amazing game, so you need something crazy like that to hold up to it.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:51 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

THE BLOB.

I loved that actually. Limbo is such an amazing game, so you need something crazy like that to hold up to it.

I don't know, I was expecting something different. I didn't hate it either, it just felt a bit cheap and broke the immersion for me. Once the initial shock fades away I felt indifference.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:37 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

THE BLOB.

I don't know, I was expecting something different. I didn't hate it either, it just felt a bit cheap and broke the immersion for me. Once the initial shock fades away I felt indifference.

I actually felt a strange sense of closure.

You know, when the blob lays down in the sun.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:41 pm 

What Remains of Edith finch on the other hand was exquisite.

CorpseHammer999
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:42 pm 

If your a fan of Tactics games. Check out The Last Spell. It's on steam just picked it up on sale. Very metal and getting some army of darkness vibes. You protect a group of wizards from hordes of undead as they try to complete a spell that will rid the land of the evil skeletons and shit. Also really been enjoying The Legend of Grimrock. Great dungeon crawler. Old school game play but has great mechanics and feel. I really want to get out of that dungeon.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:58 pm 

This is insane.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:44 am 

Nioh 2 is so hard...like right away. I hope the first mission is supposed to be training me to run away from big scary Yokai cause that's mostly what I'm doing. Jesus.

Character creation was worth 19.99 tho. Legit super fun.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:30 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Nioh 2 is so hard...like right away. I hope the first mission is supposed to be training me to run away from big scary Yokai cause that's mostly what I'm doing. Jesus.

Yeah, that one is hard in a bad way. Most enemies are just sponges with unblockable attacks. I managed to end it because I'm stubborn but unless the 3 one improves a lot I won't play it.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:01 pm 

Finished Beyond: Two Souls. Once you get past the janky controls, it's actually a really good game. You play as Jodie and jump through her life at different stages to find out why she is bound to another soul named Aiden. Some parts of the story are really heavy while some are a little lighter in approach. Lots of cutscenes to progress the story so if that's not your thing you won't like it. Otherwise it's a really great game and worth playing.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:42 pm 

What video games do you recommend to listen music to?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:51 pm 

Hades is my favorite game to listen to music during. Everspace is pretty good too.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:18 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
What video games do you recommend to listen music to?

I find that RTS or city building games are good for this, since the music isn't necessary (personally) to the enjoyment of the game. I'll play games such as Cities: Skylines, Planet Zoo/Coaster, Dawn of Man, etc. as I can play the game and listen to great tunes at the same time. I find this doesn't work with FPS games.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:05 am 

I got Terminator: Resistance on sale and it's definitely worth the $20, or whatever I spent on it.

It's basically a complete ripoff of Fallout 3, but in the world of Terminator and I'm really enjoying it.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:16 pm 

I got a new PC. Been playing some games from last decade (or more) that I missed:

- Control (warped scheme)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky (really looks marvelous, those day and weather effects)
- Far Cry 3 (I play it to get some sun)
- Metro Exodus (probably the best Metro game, really love the plot!!!)
- The Sinking City (cool one, even though walking/boating 'round the city isn't)

I need to try:
- Fallout 4
- Deus Ex - Mankind Divided
- Dishonored 2

What else I need?!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:51 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Most enemies are just sponges with unblockable attacks.

???

Not one enemy in this game is a "sponge", and "unblockable" attacks can either be dodged or burst-countered.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:23 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:
Most enemies are just sponges with unblockable attacks.

???

Not one enemy in this game is a "sponge", and "unblockable" attacks can either be dodged or burst-countered.

I repeat, most enemies are just sponges and they have grabs and unblockable attacks. Other people seem to think the same. You can’t counter grabs, unless they’re burst attacks. Also tons of farming to get elixirs.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/24 ... 2/78483739

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/ ... e_attacks/

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:39 am 

Why are you linking to these posts...? "See, these other clueless players on GameFAQs and Reddit agree with me"? Is that supposed to be convincing... :lol:

Enemies are absolutely not sponges. Unless you play wrong and ignore all the game mechanics or something.

The grabs are unblockable but they can be dodged.

There is also no elixir farming, this is nonsense. You gain more elixirs by finding kodamas, and the Healer kodama blessing will have you swimming in them anyway, and even if you still need more you can just trade at the Bazaar.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:00 am 

Lane wrote:
I got a new PC.

Awesome. What are the specs?

Lane wrote:
Metro Exodus (probably the best Metro game, really love the plot!!!)

I really need to try this one again. I got part way through it and I kept getting lost and running out of ammo. I agree that the story was good but maybe I was playing it wrong, haha.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:28 pm 

So uh... what a day in video game news huh :oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:35 pm 

On the one hand, I don't like big companies getting bigger.

On the other hand, if that can lead to a culture change at Activision and bring back talent to Blizzard, well, I can't say I'm really opposed.

Now, if they keep the likes of Bobby Kottick, that will be a major disappointment.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:35 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

Oh, what happened?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:20 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

Yeah, that one is hard in a bad way. Most enemies are just sponges with unblockable attacks. I managed to end it because I'm stubborn but unless the 3 one improves a lot I won't play it.

I LOVED Nioh 2. I do think they made the first mission a little too hard, that first big Yokai guy killed me a few times at least. It does get easier though as you get better gear and skills. By the end of the game I was beating missions/bosses without dying and just felt like a one-man wrecking crew. Used the big sword mostly in the beginning and then switched more to axe and combo of both. Some of the DLC was still hard AF and I didn't finish all of it.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:51 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Oh, what happened?

Microsoft acquired Activision-Blizzard.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:56 am 

Late to the party on Deathloop, but holy shit this is an extremely creative and well-made video game. Have you guys played it??

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:10 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Late to the party on Deathloop, but holy shit this is an extremely creative and well-made video game. Have you guys played it??

This is on my wishlist on Steam. There looks to be some negative reviews on it, mostly regarding crashing and bugs in the game. It's also $99.95 AUD so I'm holding out. So no, I haven't played it but it's on my radar. Good to see you enjoyed it - gives me more hope that I will, too.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:21 am 

Still pounding away at Super Robot Wars 30 in my spare time. Love love LOVE the game but they could really amp up the difficulty sometimes. Most stages are a total cakewalk and the bosses too. They do not have to go back the difficulty of the early SRW games but give me some challenge once in a while.

nephilim80
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:30 am 

Almost finishing Kingdoms of Amalur Re-Reckoning, too bad it was originally released close to Skyrim. It deserved to be way bigger than it is.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:43 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

Yeah, I'm playing it right now. With Genshin, Guardians of the Galaxy and Assassins's Creed Valhalla, I'm stretched a bit thin, but I've made good progress.

At first I thought it was fine, but then it clicked. It's a really cool game with unconventional ideas. For instance, it's a loop, but also not really a rogue-like, even if it may seem like it early on. The game includes some Dark Souls elements, like having to recover your stuff after death or how other players can invade your game. And the level design is one of the best. The style that oozes from the various areas is excellent, and the music is one of my favorite in recent memory. Lots of style, but lots of substance too. Also, the beginninghas a lots of tutorial, but ultimately the game is hands off at a certain point, almost to the point of feeling overwhelming.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

This is on my wishlist on Steam. There looks to be some negative reviews on it, mostly regarding crashing and bugs in the game. It's also $99.95 AUD so I'm holding out. So no, I haven't played it but it's on my radar. Good to see you enjoyed it - gives me more hope that I will, too.

I have it on PS5 and it froze once but that's it. I play it a lot. Not sure how it runs on PC though.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:30 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

Yeah, I'm playing it right now. With Genshin, Guardians of the Galaxy and Assassins's Creed Valhalla, I'm stretched a bit thin, but I've made good progress.

At first I thought it was fine, but then it clicked. It's a really cool game with unconventional ideas. For instance, it's a loop, but also not really a rogue-like, even if it may seem like it early on. The game includes some Dark Souls elements, like having to recover your stuff after death or how other players can invade your game. And the level design is one of the best. The style that oozes from the various areas is excellent, and the music is one of my favorite in recent memory. Lots of style, but lots of substance too. Also, the beginninghas a lots of tutorial, but ultimately the game is hands off at a certain point, almost to the point of feeling overwhelming.

Yeah, I agree with that. At first, I was close to giving up because I had no idea what I was doing. But then I figured out how to play and it absolutely clicked with me. It's a surprisingly deep game, but yeah, you're right about the level design and music. Top notch. Also, the voice acting is killer and the dialogue cracks me up. It's just a fun, challenging, weird game. I don't play a lot of games, so this was like a breath of fresh air to me.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 916, 917, 918, 919, 920, 921, 922 ... 940  Next