Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:49 am 

Very sad news to report. never really paid much attention to Meat Loaf, but... :( nevertheless
Quote:
Iconic rock singer Meat Loaf has died at the age of 74.

The news of his passing was confirmed on the musician's Facebook page by his family.

"Our hearts are broken to announce that the incomparable Meat Loaf passed away tonight surrounded by his wife Deborah, daughters Pearl and Amanda and close friends," the post said.

Meat Loaf's amazing career spanned six decades and saw him sell over 100 million albums worldwide and star in over 65 movies, including "Fight Club", "Focus", "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and "Wayne's World".

His "Bat Out Of Hell" remains one of the 10 top-selling albums of all time.

"We know how much he meant to so many of you and we truly appreciate all of the love and support as we move through this time of grief in losing such an inspiring artist and beautiful man," the post added.

"We thank you for your understanding of our need for privacy at this time.

"From his heart to your souls…don't ever stop rocking!"

No cause of death has yet been revealed.

The Dallas-born singer's real name was Marvin Lee Aday.

His 1993 hit "I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)" earned him a Grammy Award.

"Bat Out Of Hell" was also adapted as a stage musical, written by longtime collaborator Jim Steinman.

Metal Sludge was the first media outlet to report that Meat Loaf was "on his deathbed" on Thursday (January 20).

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:07 am 

Weird timing. About 2 weeks ago, I decided to listen to a bunch of Meatloaf tracks randomly. He has a couple deep cuts that are REALLY great, and are borderline heavy metal.

The song "In The Land Of The Pig, The Butcher Is King" is pretty heavy. And if you like Savatage and their big ballads, then i absolutely whole-heartedly suggest "I Couldn't Have Said It Better Myself" and "What About Love"

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:20 am 

I've never bothered with his music, but he was solid as "Bob" in Fight Club.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:46 am 

Not a fan of his solo work, but the songs he sang on the early Ted Nugent albums are fantastic!

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:57 am 

I can see paradise by the dashboard light...

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:42 pm 

That sucks. He was a great singer. Rest in power.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:29 pm 

Some of my earliest musical memories are of Meat Loaf. My dad had a cassette of Bat Out of Hell that we used to listen to in the car. We also had some sort of compilation of videos on VHS. I distinctly remember watching the Bat stuff, Dead Ringer for Love and, for some strange reason, Razor's Edge, over and over.

I rank Bat Out of Hell as one of the greatest albums ever (top 10 easy), and For Crying Out Loud as one of the best vocal performances ever. The second part is comfortably in the top 50 (probably top 30). The third part is also a great album, as are Dead Ringer, Couldn't Have Said It Better and Welcome to the Neighbourhood. Even the more overlooked albums have some good songs, although I think he (and Jim) ended on a weak note with Braver Than We Are.

He really struggled with his voice in later years, but he always gave his all and left everything out there on stage.

RIP Meat.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:54 pm 

Never liked him. All of his "hits" he did not write. He was a COVID denier who died of COVID. Fuck him! :)

Like your reviews?

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:31 pm 

His role in The Rocky Horror Picture Show was iconic and some of his music was really amazing. Along with the three Bat Out of Hell records, I can certainly recommend Welcome to the Neighbourhood and Couldn't Have Said It Better.

I attended one of his concerts in Ottawa back in 2016. The arena was almost sold out. The music sounded great but a lot of it quite obviously came from a tape. He looked frail on stage. A few days later, he collapsed on stage during another concert.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:20 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Never liked him. All of his "hits" he did not write. He was a COVID denier who died of COVID. Fuck him! :)

This is a little harsh.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:36 pm 

I actually found out about the news earlier today in school. Really sucks to see such a legend like him go away. Gonna be blasting Bat Out of Hell front and back in honor of him today.

BleedingMoon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:03 pm 

Anti mask, strongly hinted to be anti vaxx, comorbidities for days, one of those "they're controlling us" people.....RIP and all, but play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:41 pm 

BleedingMoon wrote:
Anti mask, strongly hinted to be anti vaxx, comorbidities for days, one of those "they're controlling us" people.....RIP and all, but play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Yeah I've heard a bit of his music and liked him in Fight Club/Rocky Horror fine, but I can't say I really feel sorry for the guy - but that said his work meant a lot to a lot of people, so it's just one of those situations.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:00 pm 

Grew up around his music and saw him live in 2004, he put on a great show and we had a blast. Fuck covid. RIP Meat.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:46 pm 

Without covid he might have held on longer perhaps a few years or a few more after that.

Don't see why he couldn't.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:48 am 

Loved him in Fight Club, and loved his music. Too bad he earned his Herman Caine award by being a fool, but I've been a fan of his voice ever since I was a little kid. Shame.

Exister
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:34 pm 

mjollnir wrote:

Mind you I'm not a fan (I was a '93 baby, wasn't really exposed to his music beyond clips from VH1), but what does him not "writing" his hits have to do with anything? As far as I know he never claimed to have written the songs himself, and he considered himself more of an actor who happens to sing than a musician anyway.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:32 pm 

This guy's death was very preventable, from what I understand. First big celebrity I hear about dying of Covid.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:56 am 

One thing I have to say about Meat Loaf is that he is the non-metal performer with the most metal album artwork ever. (Cypress Hill and Molly Hatchet also come to mind.)

Bat Out of Hell has to have the most metal looking album cover for a non-metal album.

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:36 pm 

Required Fields wrote:
One thing I have to say about Meat Loaf is that he is the non-metal performer with the most metal album artwork ever. (Cypress Hill and Molly Hatchet also come to mind.)

Bat Out of Hell has to have the most metal looking album cover for a non-metal album.

yeah, the original bat out of hell album cover spooked me out as a kid!

was never a huge fan but appreciated his vocals and that first album of course

he seemed to be all over the place with his vocals in later years. i remember a few of us watching three bats live, and he sounded terrible at times.

RIP

Reply to topic