Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:51 am 

My girlfriend is starting to watch Friends for the first time - she's never seen it before (just one of those shows she missed out on watching when she was growing up). She's loving it. For me, I think Chandler is a good character with a lot of witty, sarcastic lines that give me a genuine laugh. Overall, I find the show overrated (just my own personal opinion, of course). The constant tug-of-war between Ross and Rachel was a huge deal when the show was on air, but becomes such a grating feature now.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:15 am 

You'd have to pay me to sit down and watch Friends.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:49 am 

MikeyC wrote:
My girlfriend is starting to watch Friends for the first time - she's never seen it before (just one of those shows she missed out on watching when she was growing up). She's loving it. For me, I think Chandler is a good character with a lot of witty, sarcastic lines that give me a genuine laugh. Overall, I find the show overrated (just my own personal opinion, of course). The constant tug-of-war between Ross and Rachel was a huge deal when the show was on air, but becomes such a grating feature now.

Some characters were flanderized to a point, and the thing with Ross and Rachel was dragged out for too long. Phoebe, Monica and Chandler are the ebst characters - Monica and Chandler have the best relationship, Phoebe because she manages to avoid the drama of falling for her friends. It's definitely a product of its time, but I still think it's usually more funny than not.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:41 pm 

MikeyC wrote:

Seinfeld > Friends

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:39 pm 

Judas Maiden wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Seinfeld > Friends

Curb Your Enthusiasm is much better than Seinfeld. I also like Seinfeld a lot but the Larry monologues are atrocious and I fucking hate the bassline at the end of each one. Otherwise I agree it has aged a lot better than Friends.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:38 pm 

I agree that Seinfeld is better than Friends, and I go back to watching that all the time. Curb Your Enthusiasm is a good show, too, but it's a super different beast to Seinfeld. I haven't watched that in a long time.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:28 am 

Squid Game. Decided to see what all the fuss was about. This show was a lot more violent than I expected. Not really sure what I expected, to be honest. Despite a few setbacks I thought it was a very well put-together series. If there's a season 2 I will watch it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:41 am 

Took a break from Better Call Saul to binge the new season of Letterkenny.

While the show may never again reach its S6 highs, at least the three seasons after S7 have been getting better and better. It's easy to forget that the show is a part-time gig for most of the cast, but with everybody back in full swing and without scheduling issues? They all deliver and nobody overstays their welcome.

S10 highlights include rare interaction between Wayne and Shoresy, a really good "stop being a pussy" demonstration to the guys about why prostate exams aren't as bad as a woman seeing an OBGYN, the McMurrays regaling some of their exploits to Gail, some great interactions between the hockey players and the Skids.

It was a very brisk season, but a very good one nonetheless.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:31 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Judas Maiden wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

Seinfeld > Friends

Curb Your Enthusiasm is much better than Seinfeld. I also like Seinfeld a lot but the Larry monologues are atrocious and I fucking hate the bassline at the end of each one. Otherwise I agree it has aged a lot better than Friends.

CYE is a good show but not as iconic and funny as Seinfeld.

Recent TV series I've been watching:

The Witcher season 2 - 4 episodes in and I'm quite bored with the season so far but still watching to see if it gets more interesting.

Hawkeye - excellent series that is timely as it coincides with the holiday season. I absolutely love Hailey Steinfeld as Kate Bishop as she's charming, cute and badass all in one.

Narcos: Mexico season 3 - just as gritty as the first two seasons. It wasn't a satisfying ending though and I expected it as the stories its based on is still being written.

Seinfeld - I can't get enough of this series. I've watched it on TV, rewatched it on DVD, rewatched it again via downloaded torrent files and now rewatching it on Netflix.

Eagerly waiting for these series next years:

Ozark season 4 - I hope this series comes to a satisfying conclusion.

Better Call Saul season 6 - another series coming to a close next year. I read that there will be more episodes for this final season.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:29 pm 

For me the biggest problem with Seinfeld is that Jerry Seinfeld isn't funny. No matter how much they tried, the other three characters were much better. Which is why I think Curb Your Enthusiasm is a lot better, it has the best moments of George and Elaine x1000 condensed into Larry's character without the unfunny Jerry moments.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:07 am 

Witcher season 2- Visually amazing, but half of it felt like filler. Good finale at least.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:52 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Witcher season 2- Visually amazing, but half of it felt like filler. Good finale at least.

Yeah, I was bored with the first 4 episodes and then it picks up after that. The other disappointing thing about this season is that Yennifer didn't show her tits (though there was one scene that was so close). Oh well, looking forward to seeing her tits next season.

Last edited by Metantoine on Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned 2 weeks for being a creep. Fucking hell, dude.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:27 pm 

Can't tell if serious, but if that's what you're interested in then go play the games. You'll see all the nudes you want there. The show is a totally inferior product.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:41 pm 

Having some snow days this week and nothing else to do I indulged on Cobra Kai. Great show! If you grew up in the 80's, you will especially like it but it's awesome nonetheless. Highly recommend, It's a 9/10.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:20 pm 

Cobra Kai is on another level, particularly in terms of nostalgia trips. It pays homage while continuing the story and contains some surprisingly well-rounded characters. Hawk, especially, is a favorite.

darkeningday wrote:

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:25 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Cobra Kai is on another level, particularly in terms of nostalgia trips. It pays homage while continuing the story and contains some surprisingly well-rounded characters. Hawk, especially, is a favorite.

I totally identify with Johnny, even though I hated him in the original movies.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:03 am 

If you could judge TV objectively, Epix's Get Shorty is about as close to perfect as you can get. Stellar acting (Chris O'Dowd and Ray Ramono headline, with a revolving guest list that would make Extras salivate), great writing, top-shelf production values, it's got it all. I'm left with almost nothing to complain about, which if you know me is a bit like bitterman giving a mainstream death metal album a 100. The only reason this series didn't become a cult hit is because of its terrible tie-in title (the show has nothing to do with the book/movie of the same name, clearly added post facto to give the show more buy-in) and the fact no one has or ever will watch Epix. Otherwise this gangster-cum-movie producer pitch-black comedy drama would've been mentioned in the same breath as your Sopranos or your Breaking Bads. It's really that good.

Yet I personally kinda hate the show and was more glad to see it end than wish for a fourth season. Every character--while brilliantly written and acted--is uniquely detestable in his or her own way. There is not a single one I didn't want to see the life wrung out of in extended and excruciating fashion and one of the mains is literally a child. The show's unrelenting bleakness and cruelty was by design, but it doesn't really translate into enjoyable television.

If you value great TV you owe it to yourself to check it out and it's all free on Prime. If you're after something fun or god forbid relaxing you should probably steer clear.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:25 pm 

Better Call Saul update:
We're on S4 now, I think either episode 4 or 5. I can say that I'd be far more likely to return to this than I am Breaking Bad, namely because the characters all seem much more layered and each episode remains entertaining from start to finish. I also prefer shows with multiple character arcs going on than one or two.

I don't see the disdain that others have for when the cartel gets involved. If anything, it's making Mike become even better as a character. Chuck was devastating.

I'm not looking forward to however Kim and Jimmy finally split up, because it needs to happen (as Kim is nowhere seen in BB), but their relationship is fantastic.

darkeningday wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:31 pm 

^ BCS is like the more dramatic, character-focused alternative to the action and crime-story focused Breaking Bad.

Dexter: New Blood is done. The last few eps were actually really good and made me appreciate the show again. It's nice that the team behind this really took it seriously and tried to make something great - it didn't always succeed but there were a lot of impressive parts. Final ep was great.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:54 pm 

Well, Better Call Saul did grow on me some over time, but I still have to prefer Bad to it since I think Saul can't help but feel like it's in the shadow of its father show somewhat...

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:54 pm 

I kinda like them both the same. I'm rewatching BB now and it's as good or better than ever. Both got plenty of merit really.

REQUIEM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:42 pm 

for fans of SF, anyone seen Foundation? i enjoyed it.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:45 pm 

Immortal666 wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

Yeah, I was bored with the first 4 episodes and then it picks up after that. The other disappointing thing about this season is that Yennifer didn't show her tits (though there was one scene that was so close). Oh well, looking forward to seeing her tits next season.

Man, you fuckers can't take a joke anymore? Is this board run by woke moralists? You guys definitely take the fun out of everything.

Back to topic, I just started with the first 3 episode of Peacemaker. An offshoot from The Suicide Squad movie, this series picks up where the movie left off. I'm loving this series as it has more of the sex (and tits), violence and humor we've come to expect from John Cena's character. Added plus is that Peacemeaker's a hair metal fan and even stole some LPs and CDs from the chick/monster he just killed. Nice to see Cinderella get some props on 2022 TV.

Sword of Skelos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:05 pm 

Immortal666 wrote:
Man, you fuckers can't take a joke anymore? Is this board run by woke moralists? You guys definitely take the fun out of everything.

Haha, I'm wondering the same.

I watched Witcher season 1 but have had no time to watch more. We may never see old school sword and sorcery on screen again, but so far this is close.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:07 am 

One episode left of Archive 81 to go. The penultimate episode drags a bit, but only because it staggers the excellent tension that's been built for the prior six episodes and not because it's actively bad (it may feature the best acting of the series). The mediocre acting actually helps keep the focus on the mood and the execution of the idea, leading to a very Carpenter vibe.

darkeningday wrote:

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
One episode left of Archive 81 to go. The penultimate episode drags a bit, but only because it staggers the excellent tension that's been built for the prior six episodes and not because it's actively bad (it may feature the best acting of the series). The mediocre acting actually helps keep the focus on the mood and the execution of the idea, leading to a very Carpenter vibe.

Watched the first 2 episodes last night and midway through the first one I was hooked already.
Fire walk with me"

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:58 pm 

Finished it. Episode 7 loses the solid pacing a bit, for reasons that will be obvious once you get to it, but the finale was solid enough. You can probably just expunge episode 7 entirely and the finale will feel much tighter.

darkeningday wrote:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:28 am 

I didn't even know about Archive 81 until I read the previous messages and here we are on episode 7 already...

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:04 pm 

It's 8 episodes, all dropped at once on Netflix. The first 6 are Carpenter-esque in how they present the goings on in a very workman style that makes the more outlandish parts stand out even more.

darkeningday wrote:

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:07 pm 

What I meant is that I've already watched 7 episodes, I'm watching the final one right now.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:41 pm 

That makes more sense. Pretty great for the first six at least, eh?

darkeningday wrote:

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:26 am 

Just finished Ozark Season 4 part one. Oh man that was intense, now I want more!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:44 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
That makes more sense. Pretty great for the first six at least, eh?

Yeah, the first 6 were amazing. Such a shame the last two were just ok. So much building and what they showed on those two last episodes wasn't scary (or interesting) at all. They killed all the mystery when they showed the flashbacks.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:09 pm 

I also finished Archive 81 yesterday. I totally understand the feeling towards episode 7, but I still liked it. Overall the series was great and I'm already looking forward to a season 2, which I'm sure there will be.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:53 pm 

I liked episode 7, and while the ending of the season wasn't that bad, nothing topped the first 6 episodes.
Fire walk with me"

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:15 am 

Mandalorian/Boba Fett:

Peak Star Wars. Best thing since the original trilogy. What a time to be a fan. FINALLY.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:38 am 

I'm busy wathing The Mandalorian at the moment. and wow, eventhough it feel super-slowed down (almost in a theatrical way ), it gives me old school western / Kurosawa / Tarantino / Robert Rodriguez vibes.... Love it . I appreciate how they went for this different calm style , yet still being super attentful for (under-the-radar fan-service and respect for cinema in general; Magnificent Seven, Tremors, Return of The King, Aliens, Terminator Judgement Day... Yes, I noticed it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also the whole thing with the missions and the rewards gives me a heavy urge to play some Old Republic again :lol:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:21 am 

Hap & Leonard is a pretty fun show, like the popcorn version of Justified. Such a damn shame Michael K Williams passed, because he and James Purefoy had amazing chemistry.

darkeningday wrote:

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:47 am 

Machine_Dead wrote:
I'm busy wathing The Mandalorian at the moment. and wow, eventhough it feel super-slowed down (almost in a theatrical way ), it gives me old school western / Kurosawa / Tarantino / Robert Rodriguez vibes.... Love it . I appreciate how they went for this different calm style , yet still being super attentful for (under-the-radar fan-service and respect for cinema in general; Magnificent Seven, Tremors, Return of The King, Aliens, Terminator Judgement Day... Yes, I noticed it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Also the whole thing with the missions and the rewards gives me a heavy urge to play some Old Republic again :lol:

The series screams "someone, make a Star Wars bounty hunter game where you get armor upgrades and unlock the jetpack and stuff".

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:47 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Mandalorian/Boba Fett:

Peak Star Wars. Best thing since the original trilogy. What a time to be a fan. FINALLY.

Agreed on Mando! But I've heard less good things about Boba. And after watching a clip showing a very awkward fighting scene and hearing complaints about Boba's character having been disneyfied into oblivion I'm hesitant to check it out. I really want to watch a show starring Boba as a ruthless crime boss instead of a "tough guy with a heart of gold", but I don't think I'm gonna get that.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 182  Next