Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
saphuchan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:30 pm 

In my little music world, I say my favourite music genres out of Metal and Rock would have to be Electronic or Emo Rap.
Lil Peep, Lil Tracy, nothing, nowhere -- and so on. Those are some good Emo/SoundCloud rappers.

Now for Electronic, I enjoy Vaporwave/Dark Synth/Future Funk -- much more as well..some artists I grew up on are, Skrillex, Mr. Kitty, Yung Bae, etc.
Now, I find that Future Funk is a highly needed electronic sound that needs to be added to your playlists if you enjoy Electronic music. :)

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:00 pm 

Apart from metal (-not enjoying rock-), I'm most fond of harsh noise (the 90's Japanese output mainly) and Dungeon Synth. Sometimes, my lust for harsh noise even overrides that for any whatsoever brillant death/black combo.

Bryan White
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:32 pm 

Lots love the swans.

That band performs loud enough harm crowd people. I saw them to be kind tour. After the show…I was doctors office told I’ll be receiving infusion of Remicade…when you take Remicade you’ll fight for life to take it.

I was a lot legal trouble at time but I didn’t go jail or prison…

I think it’s one of the reason their titled 2016 album the glowing man because definitely glowing at the time. When I went saw the swans I was married to metal in bad way at time…being married to metal was fun towards end it felt like my brain was magnet for metal/steel

Anybody band that performs loud enough to harm crowd people are not very good

I remember being at the show & there was a guy on ground with pure liquid pouring out ears…i totally confuse at that point

The Swans are awful band

Sword of Skelos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:45 pm 

I used to like grunge despite the hate metalheads have for it. I haven't listened to that for a long time, with the exception of a few songs here and there. I also like 90s rap, but the only things I currently have on my old man ipod are Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, and Onyx. Everything else I listen to, beyond classical, is just weird shit I like for whatever reason like - Aqua, Bjork and Sugarcubes, Heino, Highland Bagpipe bands, Aquabats, Curve, The Breeders.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:31 am 

I like lots of ambient as long as it doesn't really have a beat. Anything from tangerine dream/Klaus Schulze's early electronic ambient, dungeon synth, post-rocky stuff like Hammock, drone like Tim Hecker, stars of the lid, A Winged Victory for the Sullen, Thomas Koner, minimalist classical like Satie, Part, Richter, Einaudi, Glass, the classic Brian Enoesque ambient sound, and ritual ambient like Draugurinn and Forndom.

I pejoratively call it sad girl pop, but basically minimal, melancholic solo singer stuff - Marissa Nadler, (actually my favourite artist these days, leading my last fm by quiet a lot) Lana Del Rey, Billie Eilish and Kari Rueslatten's solo stuff are the main ones. I've got other artists through last fm recs downloaded and added to my sad girl pop playlist on youtube music, but I'm so bad at listening to actual albums these days cause I rarely get the chance to pay full attention at work, so other similar artists I've mostly just heard a bit on shuffle. I always liked the gothic doom stuff with female vocals so I guess getting into that is something of a natural evolution.

Other than that: whatever you'd call what Bjork and Kate Bush does, shoegaze, but only really the classics (slowdive, MBV, Cocteau twins), early goth stuff, synthwave, harsh noise, the realllllll dumb goregrind and gorenoise that doesn't make it on the archives, but I listen to a lot less of it than the two genres I put first. Used to listen to more shoegaze than I do now, I kind of need to be in the mood for it these days. I also like listening to some of the really weird shit that came out with early electronics like musique concrete and the weirder end of classical like Stockhausen, Xenakis, Cage and Schoenberg.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:42 pm 

50/50 metal and classical for me. Mainly symphonies and string quartets.
Other than that, the only genre I like as a whole is neo-prog: IQ, Pallas, Arena, Galahad etc. I also count (reformed) Kaipa among these.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:33 pm 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
I pejoratively call it sad girl pop, but basically minimal, melancholic solo singer stuff - Marissa Nadler, (actually my favourite artist these days, leading my last fm by quiet a lot) Lana Del Rey, Billie Eilish and Kari Rueslatten's solo stuff are the main ones. I've got other artists through last fm recs downloaded and added to my sad girl pop playlist on youtube music, but I'm so bad at listening to actual albums these days cause I rarely get the chance to pay full attention at work, so other similar artists I've mostly just heard a bit on shuffle. I always liked the gothic doom stuff with female vocals so I guess getting into that is something of a natural evolution.

Yeah, it's pretty much the same journey for me. Most of the artists don't really have enough in common to properly be a genre, be I kind of like funeral folk/pop as an umbrella category to catch everyone from Chelsea Wolfe to Emma Ruth Rundle to Anna von Hausswolff to Zola Jesus and such. Probably my current favorite modern musical movement. Synthwave/darksynth (Perturbator, Lazerhawk, The Midnight), instrumental-oriented progressive rock/metal/jazz/fusion/djent (Plini, David Maxim Micic, Sithu Aye), and melodic/atmospheric doom (Hanging Garden, The Answer Lies in the Black Void, Shedfromthebody) are the other three big ones.

Opus wrote:
Other than that, the only genre I like as a whole is neo-prog: IQ, Pallas, Arena, Galahad etc. I also count (reformed) Kaipa among these.

Do you like Kayak? Nilsson in Kaipa and Singor in Kayak are possibly my favorite modern prog rock guitarists, they balance dazzling technicality, melodicism, and uniqueness like few others.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3