Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:37 am 

BastardHead wrote:
(...) have fun learning about Roko's Basilisk. Enjoy your existential meltdown!

If I actually cared about stuff like this I would be telling you to go to hell, hahaha.

TheEtreum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:06 am 

Belief in the "Simulation" is just Christianity 2.0

Spoiler: show
Always remember that metal stands for love, peace and democracy.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:12 pm 

^ Absolutely. And you could say the same about most strains of neopaganism, and hippie beliefs.

I could maybe believe in “misotheism,” an asshole demiurge. But the actual physics of the matrix don’t work(using humans as an energy source, with no sunlight).

It’s for people who are way too into Marilyn Manson, nu metal, and pseudo intellectualism. I was in first grade, when the matrix came out. The Limp Bizkit kids would start arguments with teachers, for the rest of the early 2000s, that the movie was true.

Asshole gods make more sense.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:15 pm 

PETERG wrote:
I just noticed a lot of bot users from India joining the site claiming to be "web designers". How can we report them to the mods so they can delete them?

Users' first posts have to be approved, and then they get burned and died when they try to entry

kalervon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:02 pm 

The simulation hypothesis begs another question: what if the simulators are part of another simulation, etc.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:34 pm 

We live in a world were Laibach played a show in North Korea and where the Capitol was attacked by a buffalo man. The Simulator is doing a really shitty job at hiding itself :lol:

oldmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:40 pm 

No, buffalo shaman didn't attack the Capitol, he entered to sing and protect the muffins. :lol:

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:45 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
We live in a world were Laibach played a show in North Korea and where the Capitol was attacked by a buffalo man. The Simulator is doing a really shitty job at hiding itself :lol:

Maybe the algorithm's chaos variable just got a really high roll for those events, and the machine overlords are still tweaking the max values.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:36 pm 

The Judas Priest thread got me into the mood to listen to Rocka Rolla again. It's not half bad, not as classic as what would come later, but a great listen once in a while. Some riffs sounds a bit like early Sabbath, I wonder if they were an influence on them when writing the songs*. Also the bonus track Diamonds and Rust fits perfectly on the tracklist.

*I just Google it and they're both from Birmingham, so I'm guessing the answer is yes :lol:

PETERG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:56 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:

Laibach cannot be cancelled for they cancel themselves every other song.

RYM

I got places I gotta be!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:57 pm 

A search of the Archives confirms that there is no such thing as Sherlock Holmes-themed metal. Human civilization is not yet complete.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:00 pm 

Holy shit it's Starmere.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:46 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
What's the purpose of having musicians' Myspace pages on the Links tab?

Probably makes more sense than linking their Facebook or Instagram profiles; at least MySpace had the ability to upload music.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:48 pm 

Ahoy, Xl! Drifting back ashore like a skeleton washed up face-down from an antique shipwreck, clad in a few clinging rags. I've been on MA periodically, but mostly just for research/rec purposes. The 2021 Album of the Year discussion summoned me back from the starlit Beyond to comment once more.

You abandoned your old moniker?

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:08 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Ahoy, Xl! Drifting back ashore like a skeleton washed up face-down from an antique shipwreck, clad in a few clinging rags. I've been on MA periodically, but mostly just for research/rec purposes. The 2021 Album of the Year discussion summoned me back from the starlit Beyond to comment once more.

You abandoned your old moniker?

It's good to see one of the MA old timers back from the chasms of infinity! How have you been? And yes, deleted the old account, I needed a good deal of time away from social media due to some health-related reasons, but I was never really planning on staying away forever. It's great to be here.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:44 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
It's good to see one of the MA old timers back from the chasms of infinity! How have you been? And yes, deleted the old account, I needed a good deal of time away from social media due to some health-related reasons, but I was never really planning on staying away forever. It's great to be here.

Social media does seem to be more and more hazardous to one's health these days. Glad you absconded at the right time, and here's hoping you were able to recuperate! I take it that involved a few years' sleep in some type of glowing, pulsating cocoon?

Been well, moved away from NYC at the end of 2020 and now live in upstate NY. Hit a bit of a life crossroads and recently started studying to become a winemaker/viticulturalist :) Now a homeowner with my longtime partner and our dog. Lots of changes! Still love metal (though I'm not exactly able to listen as often as I used to), still make art when I can, and am currently working on a new body of ambient music with my friend that should hopefully see some sort of release this year. Life continues to evolve.

Great to see you're still around, as well as some of the other old(er) guard. I'll probably continue to lurk more than post... I'll be watching, and whispering from behind the walls.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:11 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Social media does seem to be more and more hazardous to one's health these days. Glad you absconded at the right time, and here's hoping you were able to recuperate! I take it that involved a few years' sleep in some type of glowing, pulsating cocoon?

Been well, moved away from NYC at the end of 2020 and now live in upstate NY. Hit a bit of a life crossroads and recently started studying to become a winemaker/viticulturalist :) Now a homeowner with my longtime partner and our dog. Lots of changes! Still love metal (though I'm not exactly able to listen as often as I used to), still make art when I can, and am currently working on a new body of ambient music with my friend that should hopefully see some sort of release this year. Life continues to evolve.

Great to see you're still around, as well as some of the other old(er) guard. I'll probably continue to lurk more than post... I'll be watching, and whispering from behind the walls.

Thanks man, I'm indeed doing much better now. The cocoon was nice and nutritious, it rejuvenated the old chitinous wings and everything!

It's good to know you're doing great, all of the changes sound good, especially the whole family and new career thing! Make sure to post about your ambient release somewhere in here, would like to give it a listen whenever it becomes available. Great to have ya back, even if it's just lurking inside the walls :-)

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:55 am 

My dad has been hospitalized since January 6th and it's not looking good... Bronchitis, he was coughing and choking after saying a few word, his legs are all red and swollen. The doctors told him his heart is failing and so are his kidneys... This is hitting a lot harder than I expected. :(
Fire walk with me"

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:12 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
My dad has been hospitalized since January 6th and it's not looking good... Bronchitis, he was coughing and choking after saying a few word, his legs are all red and swollen. The doctors told him his heart is failing and so are his kidneys... This is hitting a lot harder than I expected. :(

Sorry to hear that, mate. All the best to you and your family.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:09 pm 

Stay strong Waltz_of_Ghouls. Hopefully there's better direction for your father.

~Guest 280883
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:10 pm 

I can only offer words of support, Waltz_of_Ghouls, and I hope they help you as much as they can in a difficult situation. Hang in there, friend.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:25 pm 

Thanx guys. Spoke to him a few times since then, he said he is slowly getting a bit better, he is really not out of the woods yet...
Fire walk with me"

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:33 am 

BastardHead wrote:
I'm not a philosopher or any other sort of Professional Smart Guy but I personally find the idea that life is a simulation to be both arrogant and cowardly. Arrogant because the entire idea hinges on some massive AI/computer/whatever that can create reality that is somehow still based on the ideas we already have (similar to how ridiculous it is to believe that aliens are both real and all smooth humanoids who are very interested in intergalactic hillbillies like us), which inherently seems to make anybody who believes the theory also believe that they're smarter than everybody else for understanding it in the first place. I'm aware that it's kind of a weird logic loop that you could counter with pointing out that we only know things the simulation tells us but that ties into how I think it's a coward's philosophy. Why bother knowing or learning anything when nothing is "real" anyway? Fuck consequences dude, I could be unplugged any day, yolo. It takes all societal responsibility out of your hands so you don't have to do anything to improve society since who cares? It seems like a very comforting way to come to terms with the fact that the world sucks while making it morally okay to not give a shit about other people.

I know I'm massively oversimplifying it because I can't even spell Beaudrillard and haven't done any serious research into the topic, but based on my extremely rudimentary understanding of the idea plus my interactions with people who believe it, that's how I feel about it.

Though if you're reading this and you happen to believe that some sort of reality-encompassing AI is either inevitable or already running everything, have fun learning about Roko's Basilisk. Enjoy your existential meltdown!

Same caveats, but I agree, plus it doesn't pass Occam's razor. The theory that our universe, in all its incredible complexity is just a simulation, necessitates that a real universe exists too (somewhere down the line) where the simulation was created. Hence, our universe being a simulation is a vastly more complex and unlikely scenario than this universe being real. Simulating a universe to this degree of complexity is a ridiculous notion in its complexity, and the only assumption we can make of the real universe in that case is that it's, if anything, more complex than ours.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:52 am 

I'd already been playing the new Conception album, and now am playing Ark - Burn the Sun. Ingenious riffing and emotional catharsis through hooks/choruses. Love it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePAqUc958vQ&t=2077s

Definitely up there with making this style a serious one to contend with.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:14 am 

I used to like that Ark album but I tried revisiting it some time ago and got bored halfway through. Prog in that form does not do it for me these days (possibly because of my ongoing metalpunk and hardcore punk fix).

Still love me some Psychotic Waltz though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:50 pm 

It's magnificent. It's very unconventional for metal with all the mellower melodies and such but the playing and writing are just so good. The drumming is wild, Jorn's vocal work is magnetic and charismatic. I'm pretty awe-struck actually.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:53 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
It's magnificent. It's very unconventional for metal with all the mellower melodies and such but the playing and writing are just so good. The drumming is wild, Jorn's vocal work is magnetic and charismatic. I'm pretty awe-struck actually.

Ehhhh. I tried a couple of times to get into it and I just don't get it I guess. It's much too mellow and non-rocking for my tastes. I actually like a lot of mellow music but here it does not do it for me. One thing I will say - Jorn is excellent on that album.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:55 pm 

"Non-rocking"? Are you sure you heard the same album? I'm not sure what you're expecting, it's prog metal with a lot of non-metal influences, it's not supposed to be full-on extreme metal or anything like that. But lots of the songs just heavier at some point, particularly "Burn the Sun", "Noose", "Absolute Zero", "Resurrection", and "Heal the Waters". Way more rocking than something recent like say, Leprous. But even the softer material like "Just a Little" (still aggressive at points) is amazing, or "Silent Is the Rain", which doesn't need to have anything harder.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:03 pm 

Leprous bores me to tears so that is not a good comparison. I did not expect extreme metal or thrash or some metalpunk but I will say this: the riffs do almost nothing for me. I generally do not like prog metal so these riff styling just bore me. Even when they get heavier they just do not grab me. I want a riff to grab me and shake me up a little when we are talking about metal. The soft stuff to me is a cure for insomnia. I guess this type of music is just not for me at this point in my life.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:46 pm 

Zdan wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Ehhhh. I tried a couple of times to get into it and I just don't get it I guess. It's much too mellow and non-rocking for my tastes. I actually like a lot of mellow music but here it does not do it for me. One thing I will say - Jorn is excellent on that album.

I wouldn't really want it to rock much harder than it does. This is stuff with genuine character. There's plenty of other stuff I go to for the more headstrong aggression. I think of this as almost metal jazz kind of shit - though I am sure actual jazz freaks may think different. But it's got a lot of cool playing.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:51 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Zdan wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I wouldn't really want it to rock much harder than it does. This is stuff with genuine character. There's plenty of other stuff I go to for the more headstrong aggression.

I get that it has a character of its own. That I do not deny. I guess my conclusion is that particular character is not for me. I just prefer more "meaty" stuff as far as riffs go. Psychotic Waltz is a good example - prog metal that still rocks me hard as hell (especially on the debut album).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:02 pm 

I really like both. Just different moods and sounds overall.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:07 pm 

Possibly. Early PW had pronounced thrash influence and was more groovy and well....psychedelic in their approach. The riffage was also more pronounced - at least to me. That just appeals to me I guess.

~Guest 1454256
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:06 pm 

I love that Ark album. The bass on that is bonkers.

I never really bothered with Jorn's solo career, but "Worldchanger" is a pretty good album (it fits in nicely with Ark and Beyond Twilight - probably for me because I got into all 3 at the same time). Never bothered with anything he did after that though. Hellhammer of all people does guest drums on that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:37 pm 

Deadened wrote:
I love that Ark album. The bass on that is bonkers.

I never really bothered with Jorn's solo career, but "Worldchanger" is a pretty good album (it fits in nicely with Ark and Beyond Twilight - probably for me because I got into all 3 at the same time). Never bothered with anything he did after that though. Hellhammer of all people does guest drums on that.

Yeah it's almost as crazy as some of the tech stuff - it's just more geared to smooth melodies than jagged technicality, but the playing's fucking tight. And yeah I never really played much Jorn solo shit. I think I first heard him in Avantasia or that Masterplan debut.

~Guest 1454256
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:25 pm 

I almost had the urge to revisit Ark's debut, but recalled how half-baked that one was (I actually sold that one off several years ago). Amazing jump in quality from album 1 to 2.

Not sure why I didn't bother with the first few post-Worldchanger Jorn albums - some Pagan's Mind members were on those. Guess some of the middling reviews dissuaded me *shrug*

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:49 pm 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/jan/26/confess-the-band-jailed-for-playing-metal-in-iran

An article about the Iranian band Confess that had to flee the country some years ago.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:54 pm 

I probably won't like Groove/Thrash, but I'm gonna this band just out of respect.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:19 pm 

This Black Mark Production page on Bandcamp can't be official, right? I'm no expert on Bathory/Black Mark but to my knowledge the label haven't been run by anyone since back in the day.

https://blackmarkproduction.bandcamp.com/

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:44 am 

Dembo wrote:
This Black Mark Production page on Bandcamp can't be official, right? I'm no expert on Bathory/Black Mark but to my knowledge the label haven't been run by anyone since back in the day.

https://blackmarkproduction.bandcamp.com/

What is the issue here?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 305, 306, 307, 308, 309, 310, 311 ... 332  Next