Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Floodland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:46 pm 

There's music far superior to metal in every aspect and much more rewarding.
My life long experience has made me realize any of these styles would result in immense pleasure, making you forget metal has even ever existed:
Martial Industrial
Neoclassical
Punk rock (the British kind, e.g. Crass)
Hardcore Punk
Post Punk
Gothic rock a-la Bauhaus, Sisters Of Mercy
Avantgarde a-la Diamanda Gallas
No Wave a-la Swans
electronic music a-la Diabolous Rising, Raism, Frontline Assembly, Skinny Puppy, Controlled Bleeding
New Wave of the early or pseudo early stuff with strong Eighties vibe
Progressive rock such as Rush (mainly stuff like Moving Pictures, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows)
Miscellaneous mentioning of: Austrian Pazuzu, French Shub Niggurath, Puissance, Arditi, Magma, Die Verbannten Kinder Evas, Devil Doll, Laibach (Macbeth is amazing), Lacrimosa, Laeather Strip, Tangerine Dream...
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote: I'm not interested in doing a trade anymore. I saw your post history and all you do is complain and call everything nazi. I'm not a nazi or racist but it's annoying as shit. Don't bother to respond. I won't read it.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:37 pm 

Floodland wrote:
lots of nonsense

If there ever was a case of leave the hall, this is it!

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:38 pm 

I like lots of that stuff (and plenty more, jazz-fusion, hard bop, Arabic chamber jazz, mugam, Hindustani Indian classical, darksynth, ethereal wave, progressive bluegrass, roots reggae, Mande music, etc.), and metalheads who only listen to metal and don't explore other non-mainstream genres are definitely missing out, but to say all of that is superior to metal is ridiculous. It's all varied great types of music for different flavors and moods.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:44 am 

Howdy, it seems I'm late to this party, but I need some rec myself.

What I'm looking is some sort of soft or upbeat minimal or acoustic rock/metal, without melancholic touches like Anathema or Antimatter, or Green Carnation, and so forth. Something pleasant and catchy without additional heavy luggage.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:15 am 

Xymosys wrote:
Howdy, it seems I'm late to this party, but I need some rec myself.

What I'm looking is some sort of soft or upbeat minimal or acoustic rock/metal, without melancholic touches like Anathema or Antimatter, or Green Carnation, and so forth. Something pleasant and catchy without additional heavy luggage.

They are listed here as a metal band, but try the album "Mute Boy, Sad Girl" by Autumnblaze if you haven't heard it.
In terms of stuff not archived as being attached to metal, Blackfield's self-titled album is pretty nice.

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:25 am 

I'm thinking you might be misinterpreting what Xymosys is looking for. It seems the "without melodic touches" indicates he's looking for happier, more optimistic bands, essentially the opposite of the ones he listed. And in that case, Autumnblaze's gothic, black metal, and doom influences don't fit with that, and that Blackfield album is also pretty melancholic.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:36 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
LithoJazzoSphere wrote:
Killing Joke has had a quite long and winding career, and I'm not nearly as familiar with it as I'd like, but their early post-punk albums are especially good.

Huge Killing Joke fan here, I'd say their later stuff is even better: Pandemonium, Democracy, Killing Joke (2003) and Hosannas From the Basements of Hell is an amazing run of 4 consecutive great albums. You should check them if you're not familiar with them.

I can't express enough how much killing joke is awesome.

I have been digging alot of non metal artist lately , one is a satanic doo whop band called Twin Temple:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7upcari_WxB_cPhVvIFELc8J2j1sxrnM

Another is a synth new wave band called Choir Boy and this is one of my favorite albums from last year

https://youtu.be/tE7_58dNsk4

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:09 pm 

Taking a 2 week break and then listening to your favourite stuff again is like seeing colours for the first time again. Sometimes it's good to take a break and works surprisingly well.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:11 pm 

I dare say it happens to everyone. You need a palate cleanser or two and/or a break before diving into the heavy metal again.
Give these a chance :

Depressive Silence
Spoiler: show

Secret Stairways

Marvel83

Russian Doomer Music vol.3 (Superior)

Gladiator OST

Funkadelic

JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:55 am 

Surprised Dead Can Dance has not been mentioned.

Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Serpent's Egg
Aion

Kirakishou
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:34 am 

Lydster wrote:
If you want some easy listening, try the first two Oasis albums. I don't know how anyone couldn't like 'Rock N' Roll Star', 'Slide Away' and 'Champagne Supernova'. Some of their singles were annoyingly overplayed back in the day, but their best songs tended to be album tracks and b sides.

I would recommend Acquiesce, Cast No Shadow, and Little By Little as well for starter songs.
Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds is a good continuation on that for sure, I didn't like Liam's stuff as much.

As for the OP, I would recommend these:

'Children Of The Omnissiah' off the Warhammer 40k Mechanicus OST for a soothing, warped, swirling mechanic chant to put you in a trance.
YĪN YĪN - The Rabbit That Hunts Tigers (Entire Album)
Battles - The Yabba

And if all else fails just throw on a WEEN album, the farthest you can get from Metal.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:01 pm 

One of my favorite new millennium rock albums, if not my very favorite, is the first Black Rebel Motorcycle Club album from 2001. The songs, the track sequencing, the production, the tones, the atmosphere...it has it all. If the name bothers you, which is understandable, think of them as BRMC. A classic indie rock album that didn't happen in the 80s.

You could take this thread a lot of ways. So many genres to explore. You could get sidetracked from metal for the next decade or two. I'd ask: what genres of music interest you? As in, do any genres in particular interest you that you know little about? Would help a lot in making recommendations.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2