* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:10 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
AboveTheThrone wrote:
Not to mention the sheer amount of people who have been exonerated after being on death row. Governments tend to just gloss over that fact all the time.

Or cases such as George Stinney Jr., wrongfully executed at fucking 14 years old for two murders he didn't commit. Authorities cannot and must not be trusted with this shit.

Agreed.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:13 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
Starting with digitally torching places like 4chan, because shit, man... how come that cesspool hasn't been shut down yet?

Well this is just the difficult part of it. I don't pay attention to 4chan so I dunno. I'm supportive of shutting down literal neo Nazi sites like Stormfront or whatever - deplatforming. But just trying to levy more censorship becomes a double-sided sword because it can also come down on more left political factions too - and it's like I don't know if I trust the government or a tech company to really just arbitrarily make rules. But for pure neo Nazi content, yes, sure, delete or ban that whenever.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:21 pm 

I get that man, but a website that allows garbage like pedo-bait, openly virulent racism and other such stuff to run rampant is essentially a breeding ground for radical psychopaths. How many of these white supremacist murderers have expressed ties to or used language and rhetoric that originates/is popular there? There's clearly a pattern. I'm not advocating for censorship, I'm saying that if there was a physical space where a bunch of low-lives got together to loudly talk about hating jews and "joke" about how much they like little girls then authorities would've gotten involved a while ago.

JCP524
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:26 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
Starting with digitally torching places like 4chan, because shit, man... how come that cesspool hasn't been shut down yet?

deplatforming. But just trying to levy more censorship becomes a double-sided sword because it can also come down on more left political factions too -

It will not if the right people are in charge.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:30 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
Not to mention the sheer amount of people who have been exonerated after being on death row. Governments tend to just gloss over that fact all the time.

Yeah, I'm not going to lump in people who were put to death by racist governments with little to no evidence of their "guilt" with a white supremacist shithead who very publicly committed a mass murder and provided the entire world with a manifesto to read. I'm pretty sure that guy isn't going to be exonerated, mate.

Yes, capital punishment is wrong, and yes, I'm on a metal forum making a statement about how nice it might be for these monsters to meet a monstrous end. There is absolutely no need to put this monster on the same level as actual innocent people.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:33 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
There is absolutely no need to put this monster on the same level as actual innocent people.

Way to put words in my mouth.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:34 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
I get that man, but a website that allows garbage like pedo-bait, openly virulent racism and other such stuff to run rampant is essentially a breeding ground for radical psychopaths. How many of these white supremacist murderers have expressed ties to or used language and rhetoric that originates/is popular there? There's clearly a pattern. I'm not advocating for censorship, I'm saying that if there was a physical space where a bunch of low-lives got together to loudly talk about hating jews and "joke" about how much they like little girls then authorities would've gotten involved a while ago.

That specific kind of content should be flagged for deletion or bans or whatever. I think the real problem with it is just how, independently, these huge companies have become so big and ubiquitous in life that they have too much power in general.

Quote:
Dumb statement.

There are many good cops, such as the hero that killed terrorist at the capitol on January 6.

Police are not the really problem. We just have too many white supremacists in the ranks.

It is an easily fixable problem.

Nah even if they are good individually they're still part of an institution that needs to be abolished and replaced.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 2:37 pm 

AboveTheThrone wrote:
pyratebastard wrote:
There is absolutely no need to put this monster on the same level as actual innocent people.

Ditto.

We are not saying that this scumbag deserves any sympathy whatsoever. Just that nothing productive is achieved by going all Hamurabi on people, regardless of how despicable they might be. Sure, you get the short-lived "satisfaction" of inflicting pain on someone who arguably deserves it... and then what? All the people he killed are still dead. All the people he traumatized still have to deal with that. And all the problems that created him still exist. Solves absolutely, literally nothing.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:07 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:

I don't pay attention to 4chan so I dunno.

4chan has been a pretty integral part of the indoctrination process for right-wing extremism for something like a decade now if not longer.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 3:22 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
AboveTheThrone wrote:
pyratebastard wrote:

Ditto.

We are not saying that this scumbag deserves any sympathy whatsoever. Just that nothing productive is achieved by going all Hamurabi on people, regardless of how despicable they might be. Sure, you get the short-lived "satisfaction" of inflicting pain on someone who arguably deserves it... and then what? All the people he killed are still dead. All the people he traumatized still have to deal with that. And all the problems that created him still exist. Solves absolutely, literally nothing.

Not only that, but the justice system works in a way that people found guilty of crimes are so beyond a doubt - so in the eyes of the law, the people wrongfully convicted were at the same level of guilt as the Buffalo shooter, because there aren't degrees of "proven guilty". So the justice system cannot, and should not, say "well, here the proof is irrefutable, so he can get the death penalty", because the proof is supposed to be irrefutable all the time.

Also, I know sympathy for criminal's loved ones isn't generally high, but the people we put on death row have friends, families, sometimes kids. I'm not sure that taking away someone, even if they've done something terrible, is really fair for these people. We can only look at the woman in Texas who is/was on death row. Her kids fought because they thought she was innocent. I'm not sure what the death penalty will bring, except more pain and sorrow for innocent people. Even if she did it (I believe she didn't)... it serves no purpose. It's always, always barbaric, and any system of death penalty can be weaponized by vile, corrupt politicians. We should say no to that shit, even when we feel strongly someone is pure evil and deserve it.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:19 am 

Big primary night with some major implications for the midterms. For now though, I'll just say that man was it nice to see Carrick Flynn, who came to the Oregon 5th with zero political experience or community familiarity and backed by millions from a cryptocurrency billionaire, lose by a mile to Andrea Salinas.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:39 am 

As long as Fetterman doesn't literally die, I think he's flipping that seat in November. I really can't decide if I want Oz or McCormick to win, because both seem exceptionally weak R candidates. I suppose McCormick would be better purely because of lack of name recognition, but I have a sneaking suspicion Oz would legislate more moderately if a Republican has to win the seat.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:15 am 

pyratebastard wrote:
You know, I'm generally against cruel and unusual punishment, and I don't think that medieval torture museums are a great medium for modern ideas....

..but in the case of these white supremacist mass murderers, I'd be fully okay with bringing back public flaying as an execution method for them. If these idiots are so obsessed with their skin tone that they want to murder people for having a different skin tone, let's fucking take their favorite toy away - slowly, painfully, and publicly.

I'd pay to watch that.

No. I'm not paying to watch people get slaughtered no matter how much they "deserve it".
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:32 am 

Yeah. Good grief, that post is all kinds of wrong.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:43 am 

darkeningday wrote:
As long as Fetterman doesn't literally die, I think he's flipping that seat in November. I really can't decide if I want Oz or McCormick to win, because both seem exceptionally weak R candidates. I suppose McCormick would be better purely because of lack of name recognition, but I have a sneaking suspicion Oz would legislate more moderately if a Republican has to win the seat.

I think Oz gives Dems a better chance of flipping the seat. So far he's proven a lackluster candidate, has shown little appeal in the suburbs of Philadelphia (whose leftward shift has been the only thing balancing out white working class Pennsylvania's sprint to the right), and basically has no roots in Pennsylvania other than getting his medical degree there and then promptly leaving to live in New Jersey. But Fetterman is a great candidate, and I don't think any of the GOP candidates is strong enough to make that race any worse than a toss-up. I also wonder if Mastriano heading the gubernatorial ticket will drag down the eventual Senate nominee. Talk about having zero general election appeal...

Otherwise, seems to have been a decent night for Dems. Besides nominating about the worst gubernatorial candidate in PA, Reps nominated very poor candidates in two of the most competitive NC districts, and Dems have mainly nominated solid candidates, including a strong progressive in KY-3. Cawthorn getting whipped in NC was nice to see too. And in Idaho, incumbent Gov. Little crushed Trump's endorsed candidate (although Little is only marginally better than she is, he's still a pretty far right loon), and the sole candidate for Secretary of State who acknowledges the legitimacy of the 2020 election won the nomination, albeit narrowly. The AG nomination was won by an election denier, though, so we can be sure Idaho will be joining lawsuits to overturn the 2024 results if a Democrat wins.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:14 pm 

If Dems could clone Fetterman and run him in every poorer purple or even red-trending state they would have a supermajority. He runs on a platform every working class swing voter can get behind and has the rhetorical skill to back it up. He's very progressive but is careful to be more moderate on third rail topics like gun control and fossil fuel and doesn't do identity politics. And despite being a literal giant he dresses and looks like an actual human being as opposed to your lab grown Ossoff/Buttigeig/Lamb. No clue why the Democratic establishment hates him so much, trying to tar him as a racist was just nonsensical and no one bought it.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 12:49 pm 

I saw a guy yesterday, wearing a shirt that said "This is the government our founding fathers warned us about!"

Are people still that butthurt about Trump losing?

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:08 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
If Dems could clone Fetterman and run him in every poorer purple or even red-trending state they would have a supermajority. He runs on a platform every working class swing voter can get behind and has the rhetorical skill to back it up. He's very progressive but is careful to be more moderate on third rail topics like gun control and fossil fuel and doesn't do identity politics. And despite being a literal giant he dresses and looks like an actual human being as opposed to your lab grown Ossoff/Buttigeig/Lamb. No clue why the Democratic establishment hates him so much, trying to tar him as a racist was just nonsensical and no one bought it.

The racist thing was mostly from Lamb's campaign and yeah, it didn't really pan out. I think more black voters in PA have mentioned being put off by the fact that a white guy gets to go far in politics without having to look respectable, or by the fact that he blew off a forum with a group of Pennsylvania black clergy.

That last thing, I think, speaks to why Fetterman has been distrusted by 'the establishment'. I think he's a great progressive and a strong candidate but the guy is terrible at building relationships. After three years as Lieutenant Governor, not only has he not built any kind of working relationship with the main power players in Harrisburg, he's gone out of his way to avoid doing so. When he launched his campaign, he did minimal outreach to major PA leaders, organizations, and legislators. He didn't even seek the endorsement of his successor as Mayor of Braddock, which may be for the better, since he neglected to meet with her after she took office and is fairly unpopular with the rest of the Braddock City Council for his habit of not attending Council meetings when he was mayor. And I gotta say, his debate performance was... underwhelming, to put it charitably.

Obviously, Fetterman's overwhelming success in the primary shows pretty clearly that you don't need to hobnob with capitol bigwigs and make nice with politicians to win. But it does explain why the PA establishment didn't exactly rally around him. He didn't even try. I don't think that's going to hurt him at all in the general though.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:36 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Yeah. Good grief, that post is all kinds of wrong.

Thank you.

Concerning last night's news, I'm honestly very surprised that Madison Cawthorn conceded, especially after such a tight race. I did not think he was capable of doing that. It disturbs me that he still nearly won considering everything that has come out about him, though I know the "incumbent boost" is always strong regardless of how terrible a politician may be.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:16 pm 

Hey, maybe I can forget he exists. That'd be great news.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:18 pm 

Wait, my idiot representative lost the primary? This is a happy day indeed.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:34 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
I saw a guy yesterday, wearing a shirt that said "This is the government our founding fathers warned us about!"

The GOP party line is STILL "2020 was stolen." This isn't going away.

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:54 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
EvergreenSherbert wrote:

The GOP party line is STILL "2020 was stolen." This isn't going away.

I wouldn't be surprised if they still kept on beating that dead horse 10 years from now.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:31 am 

They'll do that for any election really, that's how they are going to control the narrative. If they lose it must be fraud.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:31 am 

What's hilarious is that if anyone paid attention, they'd realize most of the fraud (not nearly enough to sway any election one way or the other) was committed by Republicans, and almost every audit uncovered more votes for Biden than the initial count. Nevermind the anti-vote tactics put forth by the GOP, such as gerrymandering, closing polls in strategic areas, reducing hours to register to vote or to vote, requiring some specific ID to vote... or, the very important thing to do to protect election sanctity - prevent volunteers from providing water and food to people who need to stand in lines for hours! Now, that's where the real cheating happens. Not imaginary immigrants or stuffed ballots or mail-in voting.

No, they prefer to watch 2000 Mules and be outraged about imaginary things. Nevermind that if anyone had serious evidence of wrongdoing, they'd present it to the authorities... they wouldn't make a movie about it.

CoffeeCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 9:41 am 

Last edited by CoffeeCat on Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:25 am 

Oh, it's absolutely on its way.

And it's already here, too. We have idiots in Canada whining that their "first amendment" rights are being violated. The truckers in Ottawa wanted their January 6th moment, that's why it started as a protest against vaccine mandates and became a generalized "kick Trudeau out" shitshow. The Roe decision leak has awoken the anti-choice crowd.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:06 am 

Why hasn't there been an actual investigation into the numerous sexual assault allegations towards Trump? I never put much stock in the Russiagate stuff, but there are--what--26 women making claims against him? And a couple weeks ago, that scumfuck James Comey said Trump shouldn't be prosecuted for anything. In my opinion, the whole reason Trump was so adamant about getting re-elected was because he knew he could be charged the second he left office.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:14 am 

CoffeeCat wrote:
So given Trump, the January coup attempt, the sheer obstructionist approach of the current Republican Party members in Congress, the packing of the courts with Republican judges, and now the apparent backsliding on basic human rights for minorities, are we at the point where we can safely say the United States has passed the threshold and is now well and truly on its way to being an authoritarian regime?

I agree with this statement, but it really matters which side of this you're on.

I'm assuming that most Republicans would not agree that we are an authoritarian regime and once their "team" is back in charge this will all be fixed.

As long as we only have two parties and two ways to look at things there is no nuance. One side is "right" and one side is "wrong" depending on who wins the election.

I'm so sick of politics in America and I have absolutely zero hope for our future.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:41 am 

CoffeeCat wrote:
So given Trump, the January coup attempt, the sheer obstructionist approach of the current Republican Party members in Congress, the packing of the courts with Republican judges, and now the apparent backsliding on basic human rights for minorities, are we at the point where we can safely say the United States has passed the threshold and is now well and truly on its way to being an authoritarian regime?

I don't think we're 'well and truly' on our way. But the door's been opened for the first time and I don't know if there's any turning back from here.

CoconutBackwards wrote:
As long as we only have two parties and two ways to look at things there is no nuance. One side is "right" and one side is "wrong" depending on who wins the election.

This didn't start because we have two parties, it started because one of the parties, a couple of decades ago, decided it was acceptable to accuse the other party of wanting to destroy America, to reject their patriotism, and to exploit and intensify political polarization for electoral benefit. I'm definitely not saying politics in the days of yore was perfect, or always courteous, but there's a reason it's only been in the last decade or so that you've seen candidates really reject the results of elections or refuse to concede; it's not a feature of the two party system. For the most part, up until the early 90s, you could run against the other party without denying that they wanted to make the country a better place. Republicans decided that they no longer wanted to accept the premise that the difference between the parties was purely ideological. And as soon as you accuse your opponents of literally trying to destroy the country, you're paving the way for getting rid of elections, because now the most important thing is making sure your opponents have no way of coming to power at all.

So yeah, don't think it's the two party system. Around the same period in which we've seen the rise of anti-democratic forces in the US, we've seen a similar trend in multi-party systems around the world.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:22 pm 

Curious_dead wrote:
What's hilarious is that if anyone paid attention, they'd realize most of the fraud (not nearly enough to sway any election one way or the other) was committed by Republicans
This is where I can buy into the idea of fake news, but what it really is, is lazily made news. You could watch days and says of straight coverage on "the election was stolen, and here is why it wasn't", and this basic element would never be mentioned. They might quickly drop in "these were the same ballots that got some Rs elected too", but they never delve deeper into the fraud itself. It drives me nuts. Break it down into numbers for the dimwits. Admit there was 2000 fraud cases, and then point out that X number were D and Y number were R. It doesn't matter whether it would change the overall outcome, but partisans from both parties think fraud, be it small or large, is fraud all in one direction. It's common sense to know it wasn't, but one thing we lack in the US is common sense. I don't expect Fox News to ever present a fair news piece, but any of the others could point out basic logic. They failed on this level during the pandemic, too. "We don't have to explain that. That's obvious." Sorry, but nothing is obvious to a country of idiots. Point out the obvious, down to tying shoelaces.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:00 am 

Maybe I should make a thread detailing how corrupt the FBI and other federal agencies are. You know--the same people who spend millions of dollars and countless man-hours coercing mentally ill teens into fake terror plots they themselves have created. No wonder the FBI is crying that they can't find anyone who wants to work as an informant for them.

Oh, and let's not mention how their forensic hair analysis has been debunked, but they use it anyway--even in capital cases.

But they're really good guys, everyone.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:46 pm 

Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
I'm not advocating for censorship, I'm saying that if there was a physical space where a bunch of low-lives got together to loudly talk about hating jews and "joke" about how much they like little girls then authorities would've gotten involved a while ago.

...you haven't been to a lot of townie dives, have you?

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:18 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Ex El Ex El Ex wrote:
I'm not advocating for censorship, I'm saying that if there was a physical space where a bunch of low-lives got together to loudly talk about hating jews and "joke" about how much they like little girls then authorities would've gotten involved a while ago.

...you haven't been to a lot of townie dives, have you?

I do not really know what a townie dive is, and fortunately, from the sound of it.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 12:08 am 

…and now Trump just retweeted (retruthed or whatever via his shitty social media platform) calling for civil war. As someone who has heard right wing rhetoric like this for nearly 30 years, I’m basically saying at this point do it and get it over with or STFU because I’m sick and tired of hearing it especially from idiots I used to call “friends” who basically got radicalized thanks to this shitstain. Moreover it would be funny to see them get quickly stomped out.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:18 pm 

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/24/us/shooting-robb-elementary-uvalde?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Fucking hell...

It's getting quite hard to not call the USA a shithole country. I just don't see how this country could ever save itself.
Fire walk with me"

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:45 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
It's getting quite hard to not call the USA a shithole country. I just don't see how this country could ever save itself.

I'd say we've been a shithole since the Supreme Court ruled against counting every vote in Florida in 2000. It's only been getting shittier and shittier since.

Only_Perception wrote:

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:32 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:

I'd say we've been a shithole since the Supreme Court ruled against counting every vote in Florida in 2000. It's only been getting shittier and shittier since.

But then again, if you try and point out the problems in this country, people are simply gonna shut you down as "anti-American" or even accuse you of being a communist or something along those lines. I mean, the insulin here cost more than every other country in this world combined! Our politicians keep saying America can't afford universal healthcare, yet they don't hesitate to throw more money into the already humongous military budget. :scratch:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:16 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/05/24/us/shooting-robb-elementary-uvalde?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Fucking hell...

A country in which it's easier to get guns than health care is absolutely a shithole country.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:19 pm 

It's not hard at all to call the US a dystopian shithole, yeah.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 69  Next