Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:01 am 

Watched Nobody last night. While not a great movie, it was entertaining. A Solid 7.5 for me. The comparisons with John Wick are obvious, but while Nobody was less stylish and serious, the action was more brutal. Doc Brown blasting dozens of thugs with a shotgun at the end was a bit much tho.
Fire walk with me"

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:12 am 

Smalley wrote:
But the version of Catwoman in Returns isn't a thief (nor should she have to be, to call back to the point I made about fidelity to the comics not mattering that much), so it makes no sense to evaluate her character based on something that she's not. Besides, Bob Kane admited that he created the character to add some sex appeal to the series, which has been a consistent aspect of the character since, so it only makes sense that Michelle's version of the character would be somewhat sexy as a result, not in a one-dimensional eye candy way, but in a much more intriguing manner, as a lonely, romantically-frusturated secretary who seeks to weaponize her sexuality in order to gain an advantage over the men she's fighting; what's so wrong with that, especially when it results in one of the most iconic, beloved versions of the character?
There is nothing wrong with the description you gave and obviously a fictional character can be portrayed any way that fits your narrative. However to claim I am wrong because Catwoman was created for sex appeal is not true. Of course there is going to be sex appeal to see a woman of strength and sensuality in the male centrist world of 1940. She has been a part of the Batman world since the very first named comic 82 years ago, with the exception of a 12 year period, which was forced by the CCA. No real surprise then that every single iteration of Catwoman since the CCA became archaic has been of cunning thievery and overt sexuality, sometimes even to the point of unbearable cheese.

You know what has been a part of Gotham since the very beginning? Bruce Wayne dressing up in a bat suit to become the vigilante Batman. No matter how you get to that story point, it must be what you eventually get to. So this is true of the Joker and Selina Kyle's place in the story. The Joker is antithetical to everything that is Batman, making him the natural arch nemesis and Selina is more often a villain but has also been in many turbulent romantic plots with Batman. She has always been a professional thief, her occupation pitting her firmly against the very need for Batman's existence, creating the ultimate double cross in the series.

While I agree there is no right or wrong way to write a fictional character, there are certain aspects to a character that you do not change. Seriously if the next incarnation of Batman made him a middle aged leader of a sex trafficking ring who only wears the Batsuit at night to kidnap people; enters this lifestyle because his parents faked their deaths in front of him because they were unable to tame (or deal with) his violent tendencies. Oh yeah and Alfred is not Bruce's butler but a concubine name Shaniqua who he forces to go through sexual reassignment surgery... Yeah I guarantee you a great portion of people, Batman fans and not, would be declaring, This is not Batman!

And in case you think I am wrong here... Christopher Nolan was never a fan of any prior Batmobile design, so much so that he intended for it to never appear in Begins. He conceded and found a way to work it in because he knew that EVERYONE would demand a Batmobile in a Batman movie. So lets cut the bullshit that is You can do whatever you want to characters you do not have the rights to.

EDIT: ... One more thing. This has been a fun discussion but it all started when I wrote that Pfeiffer's version was remembered predominantly for her reliance on overtly sexual dialogue and actions. I am told I was wrong and yet THIS follows in the discussion:
Smalley wrote:
But the version of Catwoman in Returns ... would be somewhat sexy as a result... who seeks to weaponize her sexuality in order to gain an advantage over the men she's fighting...

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:33 am 

Luvers wrote:
While I agree there is no right or wrong way to write a fictional character, there are certain aspects to a character that you do not change. Seriously if the next incarnation of Batman made him a middle aged leader of a sex trafficking ring who only wears the Batsuit at night to kidnap people; enters this lifestyle because his parents faked their deaths in front of him because they were unable to tame (or deal with) his violent tendencies. Oh yeah and Alfred is not Bruce's butler but a concubine name Shaniqua who he forces to go through sexual reassignment surgery... Yeah I guarantee you a great portion of people, Batman fans and not, would be declaring, This is not Batman!

Unfortunately, I could see something like this getting made, and getting positive reviews.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:55 am 

Luvers wrote:
EDIT: ... One more thing. This has been a fun discussion but it all started when I wrote that Pfeiffer's version was remembered predominantly for her reliance on overtly sexual dialogue and actions. I am told I was wrong and yet THIS follows in the discussion:
Smalley wrote:
But the version of Catwoman in Returns ... would be somewhat sexy as a result... who seeks to weaponize her sexuality in order to gain an advantage over the men she's fighting...
But you're getting that by cherry-picking my posts, and taking those remarks out of their original contexts; again, I never denied that Michelle's version of the character is sexy, my point here is that she wasn't just sexy, and that people remember her Catwoman for a lot more than that. I even gave you an example of what I mean in the post below, with visual evidence to accompany it even, so if that's not a sufficient argument, than I don't know what is: viewtopic.php?p=3040510#p3040510

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 5:09 am 

That's not completely true. People mostly remember her being sexy as Catwoman. It made a sex symbol out of Michelle Pfeiffer.

Luvers

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:26 pm 

Smalley wrote:
But you're getting that by cherry-picking my posts, and taking those remarks out of their original contexts;
I must respectfully disagree here. The reason I "..." some of your passage I quoted is I was concerned with the post being overly long. The bottom line is how you described Pfeiffer's version in the quote I made revolved around, just like her character arc, the sexuality. Something I think you are failing to take into account is I watched Batman Returns in the theater in 1992. So I have been reading reviews/listening to opinions about this particular film for three whole decades. Anytime the topic was broached, it was never about giving an in-depth character analysis of Selina Kyle, instead they just point to any scene she is in and claim they would prefer if they were leather suit she wears in the film. I am not shaming anyone for this of course but it does prove my point that her character revolves around sexuality and that is what people remember her for the most.
Smalley wrote:
I even gave you an example of what I mean in the post below, with visual evidence to accompany it even, so if that's not a sufficient argument, than I don't know what is: viewtopic.php?p=3040510#p3040510
No. All you did was point to a scene where the script required a bit of acting that was different from every other scene her character did until that point, or after. I will concede that it is a very well acted scene and a highlight of the film, but I do not think you get how your effort here actually proves my point even further. The scene does show that the character could have been more, but because you cannot point to any other scene with Catwoman(Not Selina Kyle) to demonstrate further, then the script - just as I began this all with - reduces her to just A Feline In Heat ... A superficial reading of the character.

The storybeat of an emotionally repressed woman who has severe difficulties with interaction directly correlating to being physically unattractive is such a trite level of storytelling. Even if it was Oscar worthy writing, the storybeat does not work when the actress portraying the part is forced to carry said storyline simply with a weird hairstyle or acting clumsy and timid. Pfeiffer is too beautiful of a woman for that storyline to be believable, same with Halley Berry in her train wreck of an effort. Those are not women that anyone would call unattractive or even just "homely and plain", or "most girl-next-door actress". You cannot hide the honed secondary sexual characteristics with a bad hair day and glasses. Imagine if it required less acting on Pfeiffer's part because the effects crew transformed her like they did Colin Ferrel for this latest iteration of the Penguin. Or how the makeup team for the movie Monster took the otherwise stunning Charlize Theron and made her look like Aileen Wuornos. Or, you know...

They could just depict the already fully developed backstory from the Comics which Selina Kyle had been a part of through four decades in 1992, instead of a storyline trite and cringing. Her character's story arc is the same as Kristen Fiig's Cheetah in the pile of vomit that was Wonder Woman 1984.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:02 pm 

Everything Everywhere All At Once is just great. Absolute insanity wrapped around a tender heart.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:23 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
That's not completely true. People mostly remember her being sexy as Catwoman. It made a sex symbol out of Michelle Pfeiffer.
People remember her Catwoman for more than just being sexy, though, and Michelle was already a sex symbol by that point (ever seen The Fabulous Baker Boys?). At any rate, that version of Catwoman was never meant to just be sexy, otherwise, why would they have originally cast Annette Bening, one of the biggest "girl next door" actresses, in the role?

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 10:38 am 

The Sadness - This is a legit horror flick if I ever saw one. Earns all its grotesquery. Gory as fuck but it's all done in a consistent way. The sorrow and awfulness of it all is done in the right way, emphasizing and accentuating what's happening and immersing you in the world. Knowing this was based off a Garth Ennis comic made it make more sense - he's great at doing gore, obscenity and a good story all at once. This looked amazing and the story was like a rocket going at full speed. It hit right where it needed to and succeeded at its mission. Harrowing and compelling.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:41 am 

Damn. Everybody told me that Sorry to Bother You took a turn from stylish to absurd, but I didn't know it took that steep of a turn.

Really, really good film, but one I probably won't revisit too often. It reminded me a lot of Brazil, even without the 1984 backdrop.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:06 pm 

I watched the House of 1000 Corpses trilogy recently. Some of the dialogue was pure cringe and felt massively contrived, but the films were definitely enjoyable and a good blend of thriller/comedy.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 1:26 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Damn. Everybody told me that Sorry to Bother You took a turn from stylish to absurd, but I didn't know it took that steep of a turn.

Really, really good film, but one I probably won't revisit too often. It reminded me a lot of Brazil, even without the 1984 backdrop.

It's a real cool flick. I like the offbeat weird humor and the unique style of it all. And yeah the turn it takes was fucking crazy the first time I saw it.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 4:19 pm 

Son of Godzilla - This is not a good movie, but I enjoy it anyway. I love the innocence of it. I watched this many times as a kid, along with every other Godzilla movie up to Godzilla 1985, and hence it's immune to my typical movie criticisms. Is Minilla stupid and annoying? Yeah. Is it weirdly heartwarming to watch Papa G teach him how to be a proper monster and leave the Kamacuras and Kumonga in flaming heaps? Damn right! Will I take this over modern American Godzilla? Every time.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:35 am 

Anyone excited for the Avatar sequel? The teaser has been out for a couple days. Seems like a good number of people just don't care at all, it's been so long since Avatar came out, a sequel is long overdue. Not sure where I stand yet. I'm not super excited but I'll definitely watch the sequel when it comes out.

Ex El Ex El Ex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:17 am 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
Watched Nobody last night. While not a great movie, it was entertaining. A Solid 7.5 for me. The comparisons with John Wick are obvious, but while Nobody was less stylish and serious, the action was more brutal. Doc Brown blasting dozens of thugs with a shotgun at the end was a bit much tho.

I actually found it a fair bit more enjoyable than the John Wick films, I appreciated the blend of mostly understated comedy and high-octane action. Bits like Odenkirk hitting his head against the bus ticket register thingy like a doofus after getting punched or Doc Brown pretending to be a uselessly senile old codger to get the drop on two assassins added a lot of welcome levity to the thing. I especially enjoyed the first few minutes, were we get an in depth look at the main character's miserably drab life and how it serves as both set up and contrast for what comes after. The transition from middle age crisis drama to balls to the wall craziness is very solid, and it just feels like everyone involved had a lot of fun making it.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 8:57 am 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Anyone excited for the Avatar sequel? The teaser has been out for a couple days. Seems like a good number of people just don't care at all, it's been so long since Avatar came out, a sequel is long overdue. Not sure where I stand yet. I'm not super excited but I'll definitely watch the sequel when it comes out.

When I went to see Dr Strange, there was the preview for Avatar, and it was in 3D... except no one had 3d glasses since it was not a 3D screen. Lol. But yeah, I don't care one bit for Avatar. I liked the first one; I thought it had some imaginative elements, some cool action pieces, but I absolutely - and I can't stress this enough - care for any of the characters. They were really boring. It was a feat back then, but I feel there is a huge uncanny valley with the big Smurfs. I really don't love the world nearly enough to want to see more of it. I didn't get the impression the movie really built up a world that could be expanded meaningfully, unlike Dune and Star Wars. But I'm sure it'll make tons of money because it carries the James Cameron name.

Speaking of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, I loved it. I liked the feeling of urgency brought by the frantic pacing, I liked the
Spoiler: show
more brutal elements, like Black Bolt's head exploding and Reed turning into flesh spaghetti. I know some people didn't care that Wanda became the villain, but the writing was on the wall given the ending of WandaVision... You mean to tell me that the woman who grived by enslaving a whole town, putting their kids in a coma, and forcing them to live her twisted fantasy life under mental pain that makes them want to literally die, who then decided to use a black magic book to find her imaginary kids whom she deluded herself to be a real mother should be a hero, and not a villain? I swear I literally saw people "but we didn't see the book corrupting her!" Jeez, do we need to spell every little things to cinema-goers, these days? Oh, and as an additional clue, the title literally spells "MOM"... America Chavez was ok, her power and backstory are cool. I see why Disney couldn't cut the scene with her lesbian moms to appease bigots - it's literally the scene explaining her whole deal. I hope we see more of her, because that's a cool backstory.
Anyway, cool action pieces, (sometimes) imaginative magic, not as much of Marvel's trademark quips, good surprise cameos, good supporting cast. It's one of my favorite MCU movies, tentatively in 5th or 6th position.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:04 am 

That Dr Strange movie just looks like it's going to be nothing but exposition and special effects vomit. Can't decide if I'll bother. There are certainly a lot talking about it...

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 9:12 am 

I have zero interest in the Avatar sequel.

I also saw Dr Strange over the weekend and would've loved to hear everyone in the theater's opinion on a sequel to a movie that has apparently been in the works for over a decade.

Nothing stood out and based on that preview I have no idea what technology we finally caught up on for James Cameron's movie to finally be made.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Last edited by CoconutBackwards on Mon May 16, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:33 pm 

Avatar did nothing for me when it came out and I'll never forgive it for starting up that whole short-lived 3D movie craze -- the amount of money everyone wasted tacking an extra five bucks onto their movie tickets so they'd get to wear these big dumb glasses from a plastic bag and have to endure blurry, disorienting 3D effects that in most cases weren't intended for the movie in question but were instead cheaply added on in post-production is infuriating. Holy christ am I glad that didn't end up lasting for longer than it did. Fuck nowadays James Cameron and fuck the dozen Avatar sequels he's threatening to churn out over the next 700 years. Count me the hell out. I'd sooner watch more Ridley Scott Alien prequels.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:24 pm 

And no one is in any sort of position to tell James Cameron no to anything, so we have the next ten years mapped out with endless sequels to one, shitty Pocahontas ripoff.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 1:28 pm 

What I hated about the 3D craze was that the theatres made sure we'd be basically forced to watch that version; the non-3D version was the smallest screen (smallest number of seats), at inconvenient hours, with rewer representations per day. So you wanted to watch Harry Potter and the secret of the MCU, you'd have the choice between: 1PM, 1:15PM, 14:PM, 14:30PM, 15:45, 16PM... and so on in 3D... or attend the 11:15AM and 16:45PM non-3D showings. Oh, looks like you'll need to wear a second pair of glasses and pay 5$ more for a cheap effect that's going to give you a migraine! I think Avatar and maybe Coraline were the only standouts, the rest was cheaply done. I really hope his Avatar sequels don't bring that craze back.

And yeah, James Cameron was a great director; even if Titanic was sirupy melodrama with that terrible Celine Dion song, it was an achievement in how it was done. His other movies were all great. But now, once Avatar 9: The Fate of the Fast And Furious 4: Electric Navi Boogaloo will be finally out in theatre, it seems he'll have worked 20+ years on that one franchise, and it seems like a waste to me.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 2:11 pm 

3D glasses are such a fucking pain when you also wear eyeglasses. Having to wear both at the same time is enough to ruin the experience for me.

Luvers

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:19 am 

Curious_dead wrote:
And yeah, James Cameron was a great director; even if Titanic was sirupy melodrama with that terrible Celine Dion song, it was an achievement in how it was done. His other movies were all great. But now, once Avatar 9: The Fate of the Fast And Furious 4: Electric Navi Boogaloo will be finally out in theatre, it seems he'll have worked 20+ years on that one franchise, and it seems like a waste to me.
I disagree. Besides the spectacle of building half of the ship and the CGI approach (which has not aged gracefully) the story he told was not just trite and juvenile, it underscores all of the real people whose stories were far more compelling. Oh well, I guess if you want a more accurate telling of the Titanic, with excellent performances by the cast, watch A Night To Remember from 1958.

Know what is even worse about that dreadful Celine Dion song? It came from a melody created by the late James Horner called Rose, which is actually a very poignant piano piece. That is the one thing I will give Titanic credit for and that is the amazing musical score, but it is the legendary James Horner after all, so it is definitely not surprising.

I will admit that I cried at the end of Titanic, like really hard. Not for either Romeo & Juli... err... sorry Jack & Rose or for anyone else. Was not even for 1500 people entering the Atlantic. I teared up because there would now be a diamond that is as big as my palm and worth more than a few countries have in GDP, either laying on the ocean floor or swallowed by some big fish. How many lives could that item have helped? Such a waste... Old Rose deserved to be pushed into the damn sea after that action.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:29 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I have zero interest in the Avatar sequel.

I also saw Dr Strange over the weekend and would've loved to hear everyone in the theater's opinion on a sequel to a movie that has apparently been in the works for over a decade.

Nothing stood out and based on that preview I have no idea what technology we finally caught up on for James Cameron's movie to finally be made.

I have a small softspot for Avatar as I think the worldbuilding is neat and it's simply really fun to look at all the cool designs. I don't mind it being a rip-off storywise. Mildly excited for Avatar 2 for those reasons.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:49 pm 

The Northman wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. Pretty weak compared to The Witch and The Lighthouse.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:38 pm 

Rest in peace, Vangelis...
= (

ThStealthK wrote:

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:28 pm 

I was pissed off after spending eight bucks on a ticket to go see Firestarter (2022). I remember liking the creepy techno-thriller vibe of the 80s adaptation starring Drew Barrymore back when I saw it as a kid. Looking back on it, it was not a very good film but it was one of the more faithful adaptations to the author’s source material. It got the job done. That was long before I read the novel (which turned out to be among my very favorites from King.) Even going in without high expectations, this movie was fucking awful! Horrible acting (though the actress was who played Charlie was ok) and boring as fuck. But worst of all, I hated how they deviated from the book. I don’t read a lot of fiction, horror or otherwise, but I can now totally relate to how readers who enjoyed a book feel when the movie fucks it up. The producers basically took Firestarter and tried to turn it into a bad Stranger Things episode. Oh, and I’ll never watch anything starring Zac Efron ever again. He is always in terrible movies.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:36 pm 

Everything everywhere all at once was really good. I don’t really like the use of edgelord imagery, but, other than that, it was really good. It’s like if “it’s a wonderful life” had had effort put into writing the script, and weren’t Christian propaganda. Unlike the matrix, I might actually watch this, more than once.

It’s very relatable.
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

BloodMoonRising
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 4:59 pm 

Two times in my life have I walked out of a movie theater before the movie ended, and The Northman was one of those times. What an absolute, insufferable, garbage of a movie, holy shit.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:58 am 

I can see not liking it as much as his other movies, I might put the other two before it as well, but I don't get how it was "walk out of the theater bad."

Men - Rory Kinnear must have gone nuts when he saw everything he would be doing in this. Pretty simple story, and one that horror has well-tread before, but Garland does it well by taking the visual experience so far into complete funhouse-freakshow land. I wasn't sure about parts of the beginning, maybe the flashbacks were too blunt and exposition-y. A lot of these sorts of movies will skimp on character in favor of special effects and scares, and this movie isn't really trying to establish itself as a literary vehicle. But as a whole experience of horror cinema I really fucking liked it.

Emergency - Bunch of high school kids find a passed-out girl on the floor of their place and undergo a trek to get her help. Pretty good, if PSA-ish kind of movie. Very solid acting and character stuff. I think it made its point well.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:18 am 

Yeah, The Northman wasn't any good, but it wasn't "walk out of the theater bad" either.

In Die Nacht
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:21 pm 

Friends and I are having a long running debate.....last great comedy? We are all in our mid thirties and can't recall anything funny since 2015 or 16. We had a classic run before that though.....Simon Pegg & Nick Frost movies, Broken Lizard (ALL classics), Walk Hard, Tropic Thunder, MacGruber....stuff we can still watch and quote to this day. We all are drawing total blanks.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:37 pm 

In Die Nacht wrote:
Friends and I are having a long running debate.....last great comedy? We are all in our mid thirties and can't recall anything funny since 2015 or 16. We had a classic run before that though.....Simon Pegg & Nick Frost movies, Broken Lizard (ALL classics), Walk Hard, Tropic Thunder, MacGruber....stuff we can still watch and quote to this day. We all are drawing total blanks.

Does Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse counts? I had fun with that one. I also had fun with both Deadpool and Deadpool 2. I wouldn't say any of these films are 10/10 films but I don't tend to enjoy comedies. I feel like it's a "genre' better explored in series.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 1:40 pm 

I like mostly TV comedies from recent years - BoJack, White Lotus, Hacks, I Think You Should Leave, Detroiters which I've started watching lately.

A lot of the Mickey Reece movies have a kinda dark absurdist humor I like too.

In Die Nacht
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:02 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
In Die Nacht wrote:

Does Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse counts? I had fun with that one. I also had fun with both Deadpool and Deadpool 2. I wouldn't say any of these films are 10/10 films but I don't tend to enjoy comedies. I feel like it's a "genre' better explored in series.

No, not including quippy superhero stuff. Straight comedy films.

Man, wish spoof movies would come back. Maybe Top Gun: Maverick shall beget Hot Shots: Topper.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:37 pm 

In Die Nacht wrote:

Last memorable one for me was the Anchorman : The Legend of Ron Burgundy.
Fire walk with me"

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:53 pm 

I genuinely can't remember the last comedy I watched. It's been almost exclusively horror for me for the past three years. Though I watched a few standup specials like two years ago... Chris Tucker's from 2015 was pretty good.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 6:01 pm 

BloodMoonRising wrote:
Two times in my life have I walked out of a movie theater before the movie ended, and The Northman was one of those times. What an absolute, insufferable, garbage of a movie, holy shit.

What on earth were you expecting when you went into it? Did you watch any trailers? Have you seen any of Robert Eggers other films?
I loved it. Gritty, savage, epic and beautiful to watch. Metal as fuck!

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:37 pm 

Watched the new Doctor Strange movie. Enjoyed it overall. Pretty spOoOoOky.

Shit got pretty weird during the climax, with all the "souls of the damned" and him possessing a dead body. Seems like they really wanted a spooky movie, but they forgot to put the spooky everywhere else, so they crammed it all into the climax. The rest was pretty great though. The appearance of Charles Xavier has me interested, is this hinting at how they're going to bring the X-Men into the MCU?

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:45 pm 

EvergreenSherbert wrote:
Watched the new Doctor Strange movie. Enjoyed it overall. Pretty spOoOoOky.

Shit got pretty weird during the climax, with all the "souls of the damned" and him possessing a dead body. Seems like they really wanted a spooky movie, but they forgot to put the spooky everywhere else, so they crammed it all into the climax. The rest was pretty great though. The appearance of Charles Xavier has me interested, is this hinting at how they're going to bring the X-Men into the MCU?

Well, Sam (Evil Fuckin Dead) Raimi directed, which added a touch of horror to it that I certainly appreciated and that Bruce Campbell cameo was ace. I've enjoyed both of the Dr Strange films, which kinda surprised me because he never appealed to me at all as a character back when I read comics in the 80's.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 798, 799, 800, 801, 802, 803, 804 ... 818  Next