Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:14 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Nah. I'm giving it to BCS too. I fucking love BB but there's something about BCS that speaks to me more. I don't think the stories are similar either, on the surface you can say Jimmy to Saul is like Walter to Heisenberg but not really... since the character development and the storytelling are so rich (I find), they are vastly different. I enjoy the family/relationships/lawyer stuff more than the meth mafia stuff actually (nothing wrong with those).

And I am a complete fanboy of McKean. And I like Kim a lot! Way more than I liked Skyler! :P
Well, I think BCS is good, just not great the way BB was, for a number of reasons; first off, while Saul has its occasionally thrilling moments, Bad was still more of a Thriller overall, which gives it a greater, more gripping intensity in general, IMO. Besides that, I also don't find BCS to be as emotionally intense either as a drama, so I feel that BB is a superior show overall when it comes to either aspect (for example, Saul never made me feel as much quiet, desperate emotion as this one montage did:) https://youtu.be/wiVSSw_-LO8

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:35 am 

Both are great, but BCS has a je ne sais quoi to it that makes every episode watchable due to its grander use of comedy and, overall, smaller story. It's a little more junk food, but it also doesn't insist upon itself to the same degree that BB does.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:23 am 

The only thing I'd say hampers BCS at times is the occasional fanservice-y feeling of using old characters - but even "hamper" would be a strong word for it, since I never really get bored with the show at all. I've read they're bringing back Walt and Jesse for the final season. They have to have some big shit planned for that. And BB is such a big, rich world that they've earned the right to do fanservice-y things anyway. The core of it is the Jimmy and Kim relationship, and Jimmy's hangups with his brother - a gold mine of writing there.

Finished Mr. Robot a while ago. Really good show. An interesting case in that pretty much everything from S1 to the finale was planned out and purposeful, which doesn't always seem to be the case - the creator had it in mind to be a full movie and it shows in how things come back, themes evolve and twists are revealed in a more deft way than some shows do. Not perfect, but by the final two seasons it is quite an intriguing, soulful world and set of characters. The last 5-6 episodes or so are flawless. The show is at once a leftist rally against capitalism, a meditation on the self and identity and mental illness - it's a lot to take in and actually does pull it off.

And I got through Severance too, another very cool show. Acidic, warped nightmare satire of work culture. Adam Scott is great. The world is dystopian and surrealistic and the writing and acting are strong. I usually like it better when shows don't emphasize the Big Mysteries that will inevitably be solved, with every character somehow connected, etc - but this is drawing me in so far.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:42 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Both are great, but BCS has a je ne sais quoi to it that makes every episode watchable due to its grander use of comedy and, overall, smaller story. It's a little more junk food, but it also doesn't insist upon itself to the same degree that BB does.
"Insists upon itself"? What does that mean?

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:25 pm 

It's official: Vince Gilligan is the FromSoftware of the TV thread.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:34 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

Please, don't insult From Software like this.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:40 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The only thing I'd say hampers BCS at times is the occasional fanservice-y feeling of using old characters - but even "hamper" would be a strong word for it, since I never really get bored with the show at all. I've read they're bringing back Walt and Jesse for the final season. They have to have some big shit planned for that. And BB is such a big, rich world that they've earned the right to do fanservice-y things anyway. The core of it is the Jimmy and Kim relationship, and Jimmy's hangups with his brother - a gold mine of writing there.
BCS has done a good job in general of exploring the background to the world of BB, but its very nature as a prequel still makes it feel staler than its parent show, and I can't help but feel that Gilligan's immense talent would've been better served by creating an entirely original series (like the way that BB was one), instead of partially going over the same ground again.

ThStealthK wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:27 am 

Gravetemplar wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Please, don't insult From Software like this.

ThStealthK wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:38 am 

Aaron Paul on Breaking Bad's "embarrassment of riches"

ThStealthK wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:34 am 

Smalley wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
BCS has done a good job in general of exploring the background to the world of BB, but its very nature as a prequel still makes it feel staler than its parent show, and I can't help but feel that Gilligan's immense talent would've been better served by creating an entirely original series (like the way that BB was one), instead of partially going over the same ground again.

There's a point where I'd agree with that, if they make anything else after this. BCS doesn't feel stale to me. The experiments they're doing with character and world-building in reverse make it really interesting. Gilligan has said there could be other stories down the line, but ultimately I think BCS, BB and El Camino are fine and don't need anything more after that - there's a point where the mystery and intrigue would be dissipated after that, if you do another spinoff with Kim or Mike, etc - we already have enough good stuff now.

Re: the Aaron Paul thing - I'd never heard of this Dual movie. Never seen any of that Stearns guy's work actually. It's playing near me, I might go see it later.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:34 am 

I love ATHF with a passion.

It has moved to Youtube for now and is called Aqua Teen Hunger Force: Aquadonk Side Pieces.

Here's the first episode from yesterday (It's real short, but they're apparently putting out one a day for the next two weeks):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVPXbl6 ... e=emb_logo
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:45 am 

I fucking loved everything about Severance. Everything. Can't wait for season 2!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:47 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
I fucking loved everything about Severance. Everything. Can't wait for season 2!

Spoiler: show
I wish it wasn't one of these shows that's like 'oh what's the mystery going to be, keep in tune for the next plot twist, everything is connected.' But even for that it is extremely well acted and written - very good.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:28 am 

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:

Same here, one of the best of the year for sure. Very Kaufman-esque premise, excellent cast and build-up and I like what it has to say. I hope the story makes sense in the end but I am enjoying it anyway.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:35 pm 

The final season of Better Call Saul is on! I'm looking forward to how it ends and leads up to Breaking Bad and if we'll see Walter and Jesse actually appear in it.

Also currently watching "Winning Time: the Rise of the Lakers Dynasty" even though I'm a Celtics fan. Larry Bird and the Celtics are the villains here obviously. Apparently this was not authorized by the Lakers hence a lot of what happened on it has been discredited by the real-life versions of the characters in the series. So I'm watching this and treating it like a fictionalized account rather than a biography.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:31 pm 

Well, I finished Breaking Bad last night. What a fucking great show. Those last few episodes really cranked up the insanity, too. I loved it.

I'll have to go watch Better Call Saul eventually, but I've got some movies to catch up on this weekend first.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:42 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
Well, I finished Breaking Bad last night. What a fucking great show. Those last few episodes really cranked up the insanity, too. I loved it.

I'll have to go watch Better Call Saul eventually, but I've got some movies to catch up on this weekend first.
Hell yeah, dude!

ThStealthK wrote:

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:10 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:

Did you just start it recently and if so, how long did it take you to finish the whole series?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 1:31 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
pyratebastard wrote:

Did you just start it recently and if so, how long did it take you to finish the whole series?

Early April-ish. I watched a couple episodes here and there.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:06 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:

You should also watch "El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie" which is a sequel/epilogue to the series. It gives a fitting resolution to what happens to Jesse.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 4:22 pm 

Anyone else watching the Halo TV show here? A new episode just dropped today and 7 episodes in, the series has yet to improve.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:07 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Anyone else watching the Halo TV show here? A new episode just dropped today and 7 episodes in, the series has yet to improve.

Is it a live action series or an animated one?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:19 pm 

It's live action and it's bad too. Purely as a standalone TV show, it would just be mediocre ("diet Mandalorian" is a good descriptor), but as an adaptation of a game series it's a miserable failure for many reasons.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:50 pm 

Crazy, I love it and my dad does too. Neither of us have any knowledge of the games, though. The standout is Merrimen from Den of Thieves but everyone except the holographic lady (who I believe is the sole holdover from the game--no surprise there) is solid. Very enjoyable series if you like space opera on a seemingly infinite budget, fills the void left by The Expanse pretty well.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:08 pm 

The only way I see anyone enjoying it is if they didn't play the games ever. All the characters that are also present in the games like Master Chief and Cortana are mischaracterized (except Halsey, she's just as much of a rotten, evil bitch as she is in the game lore), the central female character (Kwan) is weak as hell and her character arc is boring as hell, and the people who wrote the series didn't even look at the games for reference. It's like they just read the Wikipedia article for the games and then wrote a TV show based solely on the Wikipedia page.

But even from the perspective of it not being an adaptation of a game series, it's still a bad show with bad characters.

The central female character, Kwan, is weak as hell (like I said already). She goes from "Master Chief, you killed my mom and I hate you" to "Please Master Chief don't leave me here on this asteroid city, you need to protect me" in two episodes flat. Her primary motivation is to go back to her homeworld and take it back from a dude cosplaying as Hitler by "finding her father's generals". The one moment where she has a genuine moment of strength is when she ambushes Soren-066, an ex-Spartan, and it looks like she's gonna shoot him and leave him for dead in the desert, but she chickens the fuck out and just steals his car instead. That moment pissed me off infinitely because they had one chance, one massive chance there to give her some development as an independent person but she chickens out and Soren ends up saving her ass again in the next episode.

They tried to also paint the UNSC as this big bad evil empire (it's literally the Galactic Empire from Star Wars), which has some merit in the canon lore, but they really played it up here and made it one of the major things that drives the plot. There is so little material from the Halo storylines in the show. That brings me to a reason why I think that a Halo show, and indeed, any adaptation of a story based video game, is doomed to fail. As a player of Halo, a story-driven game with tons of lore and world building, you are quite literally a playable character in what is already a very good TV show being played out on your screen. If you try to retell the story in another medium, or simply create an alternate storyline altogether with the game's characters, it will just only be bad. First option, you just rehash shit. Second option, you shit on the established lore and mischaracterize people.

They also committed two major Halo no-nos in THE PILOT EPISODE, of all things. Master Chief shows his face, which has never been done in the games on purpose, and he also has a major emotional development, despite supposedly being an emotionless Spartan. The one time that happened in the games was in Halo 4, and it was because his literal only friend, Cortana, "died". That was the right moment for a monumental character change like that to occur, and it had a massive impact because this emotionless Spartan was actually feeling loss for once and realized that he cared for Cortana and was scared to lose her. When you know how much was done to the Spartan's minds to make them not feel anything and obey all orders, a character change like that is hugely impactful.

The wrong moment for a change like that to occur is where Master Chief (before he removes his emotional regulator) was ordered to kill a prisoner that he took and refused because it was "wrong", as it is in the TV show. They also fucked up Cortana's origins, if only in what she was created for. The creation process of Cortana depicted in the show was actually really good for showing how soulless Halsey is. The one thing they got right was one of the most fucked up characters in the games, and I actually give them credit for that because you don't see much of her in the games. Halsey gets a lot of screen time in the show.

Back to Master Chief, he's barely ever fully in his armor and there is NO FUCKING ACTION in the show, even though Halo is an action game. There have been approximately three or four genuine full-on fight scenes in the entire thing so far, so when the Spartans do appear, they just clunk around in their half-ton suits of armor without their helmets and mutter in monotones. The entire show is just so generic, boring, contains crappy characters that are in no way faithful to the games, and so unlike the games in other respects that I fail to see how it could be truly enjoyable, even to someone who never touched the games. I could go on about much more that I dislike about the show, but this post is long enough as it is. The show is Halo in name only.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 12:11 am 

I don't much like Kwan. She's the weakest link of the flesh and blood characters. But all of your other criticisms are about the show not being like the game, which I can't comment on. The lack of action I greatly prefer; the opening fight scene was really video gamey and bored me. Conversely, the dialog, acting (not Cortana) and stunning production values are a treat. If Master Chief kept his hat on all the time it would 1) look like a ripoff of Mandalorian and 2) we'd miss out on Pablo's stellar performance.

I feel confident in saying if you're not intimately familiar with the games but do like sci-fi, you'll like the show. Just get past the very generic opening 30 minutes.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 2:30 am 

I don't subscribe to the notion that it would look like a Mandalorian ripoff if Master Chief kept his helmet on all the time. Halo had the faceless protagonist thing going well before the Mandalorian, and the Halo show is already being compared to the Mandalorian anyway. The show's story would be passable if they didn't give Halo names and appearances to everything. If you bring well-established stuff like that into a show, there's an obligation to uphold some accuracy, and you don't even have to rehash stories, you could just make the characters actual good ones that were faithful to their canon personalities. At least make the new characters good or do good shit.

The other Spartans are all but useless. Like I said, they just clunk around in their armor and mutter in monotones. The only significant thing they do is help with alien linguistics. The one who gets a slightly bigger role, Kai-125, is just funny with her little "edgy" phase when she dyes her hair pink with gun polish. I find it funny that alarms went off everywhere in Halsey's lab when John removed his emotional regulation device, but no one batted an eye when Kai did. The shitty dysfunctional family style interplay that reads like a high school drama between Miranda and Jacob Keyes and Halsey is also totally useless (they actually are a family in canon lore, but you'd barely know it from the games).

I think the Halo show could have been better with more episodic storylines instead of a big overarching one. But if we're doing Star Wars comparisons, then it'd probably get compared to The Clone Wars.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:58 am 

BARRY is doing some great stuff. This is an exciting, hilarious, vexing, suspenseful fucking show. I don't know what's going to happen this season at all. So far it's already nuts.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:05 pm 

Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
It's live action and it's bad too. Purely as a standalone TV show, it would just be mediocre ("diet Mandalorian" is a good descriptor), but as an adaptation of a game series it's a miserable failure for many reasons.

Oh. I guess I'll pass on that one. Never been a fan of the video game anyway so I don't think it would appeal to me,

I just finished watching the final season of Ozark. Part 2 of the final season to be exact. I feel the ending was a bit rushed. A lot of things transpired in just a few episodes. It's like they were running out of time and wanted to end it pronto. What did you guys think of it?

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:26 pm 

Judas Maiden wrote:
I just finished watching the final season of Ozark. Part 2 of the final season to be exact. I feel the ending was a bit rushed. A lot of things transpired in just a few episodes. It's like they were running out of time and wanted to end it pronto. What did you guys think of it?

As a big fan of this show, there is no need to say I was highly disappointed. I feel the ending was pretty realistic though and it proved what we already knew: The Byrdes are really shitty people.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:04 pm 

kazhard wrote:
Judas Maiden wrote:

As a big fan of this show, there is no need to say I was highly disappointed. I feel the ending was pretty realistic though and it proved what we already knew: The Byrdes are really shitty people.

Okay, I guess it wasn't just me who was disappointed with how it ended. I'm disappointed because all series long we're led on to believe that Marty will eventually get his family safe from the cartel.
But it turned out that they eventually sided with the baddies and though realistic, it was morally bankrupt.
I would've preferred a different ending and I've seen several Youtube videos with this in mind and I'll see what they have to say.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:05 pm 

The first episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds was super solid on first watch. The premise was classic TNG stuff, and Anson Mount is great. I'm watching the second episode shortly!

Episode 2 was excellent! It's got that classic Trek feel again. Less grim and gritty, more aspirational.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:35 am 

Loved it but it did feel more like TOS or TAS than TNG to me, steeped in the style of nu-Trek (not inherently a bad thing, in fact it worked quite well). Wish Nahsil and other veteran Trekkies were here to revel in the surprising non terribleness of it all.

May be a bit too early to call but Anson Mount might be my favorite captain since Picard. Hopefully he won't get a show when he's 81 called Strange New Pike.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:42 am 

Season 2 of Russian Doll was very good again. Hopefully it's not Netflix'd and there's a 3rd season. Lead girl Natasha Lyonne is a pleasure to watch with her crass attitude, dry humour, and occasional serious bits.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:34 am 

We don't deserve Natasha Lyonne, but I'm damn happy we have her. She's been on a goddamn roll since getting clean years ago.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:36 am 

I remember thinking the first Russian Doll season was fairly alright, but I couldn't understand how there would ever be another season. Guess I might check it out if it's that good...

Better Call Saul is just killing it this season.

Also been watching Detroiters. Funny as fuck. Very weird but also lighthearted and goofy. Tim Robinson's great.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:50 pm 

Yea, I also liked Russian Doll. It wasn't as good ass the first one but still fun to watch.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 10:09 pm 

Binged the 3rd season of Love Death & Robots last night. Fantastic animated anthology series with short stories covering Sci-fi, horror, comedy etc. Some episodes are naturally better than others but the standard is overall very high. The animation style varies each episode which is cool too. Anthology series' are a bit hit and miss for me, but this is a definite hit.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:01 pm 

I tend to pick and choose with Love Death and Robots, but Jibaro was maybe a masterpiece.

Voldra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:28 pm 

Judas Maiden wrote:
pyratebastard wrote:

You should also watch "El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie" which is a sequel/epilogue to the series. It gives a fitting resolution to what happens to Jesse.

I just finished it now with a few friends. I thought it was great. I'm glad they went the direction with it they did. A lot of series that have a movie add-on usually fuck it up either by going off the rails with it to the point it breaks character development or by relying too much on nostalgia. My only complaint is sometimes the flashbacks were a little confusing because the actors look a lot different than they did back then for the most part.

Last edited by Voldra on Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 182  Next