Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:44 pm 

Nine Inch Nails - Right Where It Belongs

I'm warming up to the more minimal side of NIN that Trent exhibited on With Teeth. This haunting tune is a bit singer-songwritery but that's okay.

Megatokyo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 8:16 pm 

Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc.

There's something about mid-2000s music that just... Captivates me.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:45 am 

Suicide Commando - "Unterwelt"

I don't regularly listen to aggrotech, but it's really good when I'm in the mood for it.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:51 am 

Duran Duran - Seven And The Ragged Tiger

For a short moment in time Duran Duran were THE perfect pop songcrafters. Love each song on this album (and the previous one - "Rio" - is even better!)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:43 pm 

Joy Division - Eternal

Sparse and cold but it really works as a full album, every song building off the last, and a lot of good, meditative grooves and beats.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:01 pm 

Muslimgauze - Intifaxa 1990

It seems many poo-poo on the Extreme years, but they're some of my favorites from him. The graphics do look generically pro, uniform, and goofy; but the albums sound like fully developed, flushed out ideas rather than demos and grouped tape submissions gathered and curated by someone else for release. They probably talk about it in the Vinyl On Demand book, but I haven't read it (yet). They sound like he has an ensemble of percussionists working his ideas, though only one of them credits a group of helping players. My guess is that isn't true anyway, as I haven't been able to find more information on said group. I instantly greatly enjoyed the first album I heard from him, but since then, he's made his way onto my list of favorite artists. A body of work I'll likely be studying until I'm dead, and that isn't just because of how massive it is. A fascinating musical mind. Nobody has really bothered to go near what he did, either. He carved out a niche, and it remains untouched and unique to him. I can think of a couple albums similar, but that's all they are: similar.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:02 pm 

Jon LaJoie MC Vagina - "Show Me Your Genitals"

Everything I know about love, I learned from the master.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:27 am 

The Stone Roses - Waterfall

Quite nice breezy stuff - poppy but with this really subtle, cool guitar playing. Easy flowing tunes.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:34 am 

Prince And The Revolution - Purple Rain

What more can be said? Absolutely stunning performances and tunes. No weak points here.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 12:01 pm 

Ludd Gang - Demo 1999 - anarcho percussion ensemble with minimal electronics and sampled "lyrics" - good stuff, and for when in the mood for more like Militia.

can find it at the great bandcamp page https://sheffieldtapearchive.bandcamp.com/

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 7:22 pm 

Haddaway - Catch a Fire

People remember What is Love? And rightly so, but this has been my favorite for a long time. Very 90's.

Voldra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:05 pm 

Been super into folk/Americana/acoustic stuff recently. Shakey Graves, José Gonzales, Gregory Alan Isakov, the Alabama Shakes, Josiah and the Bonnevilles... etc. also love me some Tame Impala and Bob Iver at the moment.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 10:57 am 

Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist

This is an exhausting piece of work at times but so thrilling too, a more involved, dense punk sound, interesting shit. Some of the best lyrics I've read in ages too.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:30 pm 

The Doors - Light My Fire

Jim Morrison is a very influential singer. I can hear his influence clearly on artists such as Glen Danzig and Ian Astbury of the Cult. The Doors seemed to be ahead of their time. They seemed to have darker themes than most of their contemporaries back in the day.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:44 pm 

Cheap Trick - Dream Police

Smooth, yet rocking, rollin' and tumblin' power-pop with a serious guitar edge? Yes please!

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:56 pm 

Lana Del Rey - Venice Bitch

LDR being awesome for 9 minutes

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:42 pm 

Kaoru Akimoto - Dress Down

I don't know if this fits under the label, but I adore city pop. The Saxophone solo is just wonderful.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:18 pm 

I've been taking a deeper dive into goth. With all the reissues out there, many of them frivolous and unnecessary, I'm surprised Requiem in White doesn't even have a bandcamp page. I believe they opened for Type O Negative on the October Rust tour, too. Some label out there needs to hop on that.

Bauhaus is pretty much in the regular rotation in this house, but I don't often listen to Love and Rockets. I didn't realize how much Black Rebel Motorcycle Club debut borrowed from the s/t L&R album, and for my money, BRMC is one of the best rock bands of the 2000s. The debut is pretty much flawless.

Been a couple days of early Cocteau Twins and early Kate Bush. It's crazy how strong the 4AD catalogue was in the 80s.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:25 pm 

Uriah Heep - Lady In Black

This song, especially the original version, has to be one of the best acoustic songs / ballads ever made.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:56 pm 

The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar

This is really becoming a band I could just listen to fucking any time. Great and glorious musicality. True songwriting.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:20 pm 

Cocteau Twins - Head Over Heels

As I was making a second pass at the CT albums, I noticed how shrill they were sounding. I was a little distracted on the first go, so I missed it. Listening to the 2003 remasters, which turns out are remixes and remasters by Guthrie himself. CT fans consider them complete revisions of classic albums. I'll never understand why artists, or anyone for that matter, want to revise successful and highly coveted work.

Teleboy1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:48 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar

This is really becoming a band I could just listen to fucking any time. Great and glorious musicality. True songwriting.

I have been a degenerate Stones fan for nearly 40 yrs now. I admire your good taste!! Check out the newest release from the vaults: Live at the El Mocambo 1977.

Manyon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:07 pm 

Waylon Jennings. Lonesome onery' And mean.
I swear it could be a great hard rock song.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:38 pm 

V/A Lonely is an Eyesore 1987

4AD compilation of exclusive tracks (at the time) of goth and indie bands. Includes a Dead Can Dance demo track from 1979. I consider it one of my favorite, and most important, compilations in my music history. The title comes from this amazing Throwing Muses song, "Fish". Kristin Hersh is a true artist and has an interesting story of suffering a concussion as a teenager and then seeing music in colors (synesthesia). A powerhouse lineup with a few great surprises. The first track is ridiculous and sounds like it was made for a hot dog commercial, but the rest is pure class.

https://youtu.be/WxF7lj-6w3A

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:53 am 

A Flock of Seagulls - Space Age Love Song

Along with early Depeche Mode, A Flock of Seagulls were the quintessential synth pop poster boys.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:53 am 

Kate Bush - Never for Ever 1980
Kate Bush - The Dreaming 1982
Hounds of Love 1986 is the one most cite with Kate Bush, but I think I like both of these more. The overall nod goes to Never for Ever...I think. She's one of those artists I don't think I could have appreciated when I was younger. I was exposed to her when I was a late teen, but it was too poppy, too artsy, too theatrical, and not at least a little classic rocky to smooth over the poppy and arty. I still have to be just in an exact mood for her, but I can definitely hear why some consider her a favorite and even goes as far as to call her work perfect. It really is fantastic stuff.

Tones on Tail - Christian Says/Twist 1984
This is just about a perfect single. I can put this on repeat for an hour. If you like Bauhaus and never went beyond them, this can't come more highly recommended.

The Wake - Masked 1993
A cross between The Sisters of Mercy and Bauhaus. Thanks to the youtube suggestion feed. it's good.
https://youtu.be/9PFvCoLdqnU

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:18 am 

Third Eye Blind - Losing a Whole Year

This band name never appealed to me and sounded like something vapid, but this is very solid... tremendously charismatic singing and strong 90s style writing, that sort of vulnerable sound with just the right amount of edge. Not really heavy like a Soundgarden but the writing is good.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 12:39 pm 

The Human League - Travelogue 1990 - many don't know how cool this band was with their first couple of albums.

The Normal - Warm Leatherette 1978 - stone-cold classic synth industrial.

Clock DVA - Sign 1993 - my introduction to the genius of Adi Newton. The final album before going on hiatus. Every album and EP is worth hearing. This one is EBM, but the high level of sci-fi and the futuristic vibe makes it a lot more than that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 3:24 pm 

Sarah Shook - If It's Poison

This is still pretty much unquestionably album of the year for me; so cathartic, a genuine great country/rock/pop hybrid.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:29 pm 

Brendan Perry - The Ark 2010

Somewhere between a dark indie album and Dead Can Dance world music. Really, it's just about all of the former and a return to a vintage style with incredibly rich, contemporary synth sounds and production. I believe he did all of this in his home studio by his lonesome, but it sounds like a lot of money and expertise was thrown at it. Lots of lush detailing. I'm a Dead Can Dance/Perry/Gerrard fanboy, but this doesn't demand any of that. The lyrics can be a little heavyhanded, but he's always been like that. He brains you with masonry, not with subtlety. This crew does no wrong in my book.

Clock DVA - The Hacker 1988 - brilliant.

Voldra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:47 pm 

Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan. Because there is no bad time for Black Sabbath.

Judas Maiden
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:56 pm 

Dave Matthews Band - Crash Into Me

Probably the only Dave Matthews Band song I can tolerate. I don't understand how this band got so big. Their music isn't exceptional. There were more bands who who were better than them back in the '90s.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:55 am 

Elend - Sunwar the Dead 2004

This came by way of looking for anything similar to Dead Can Dance. It's more neoclassical and stringy than DCD. It's less worldly and tribal, though it does have the very welcomed use of timpanis (never enough timpani). The vocalist has nowhere near the appeal of either DCD member. We're talking about such a niche style, or area, of music that the DCD reference is unavoidable, but the two really aren't much alike. This is a very good album, and if I remember correctly, the best of the series.

I don't pay attention to these things, but I see it mentioned in threads often enough to bring it up here. It's weird that Elend is listed here.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 3:34 pm 

Throwing Muses...

How is this band not included in every grunge discussion? Her songwriting is really good and interesting. Love her guitar tones, too. The drummer is solid and sharp and anchors the band in every way. I don't see people talk about them much, but they're as good as most in the genre or style. You want to talk about a compelling artist and person? Kristen Hersh. She's not destructive nuts. She's seemingly on the edge of being unhinged in a prolifically creative way. Always writing stories, lyrics, and songs. Came to one of their last albums with 70 songs. I sense she's seldomly without an instrument or pen in hand.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:06 pm 

Bauhaus - This is for When...Hammersmith Palais on 9th November 1981 from the Mask 3CD
Bauhaus - Press the Eject and Give Me the Tape (live compiled from 1981 and 1982)

This band was a powerhouse live. I bet their shows were incredible. One of those that would make the list if I had a time machine.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:01 am 

Mai Yamane & Yoko Kanno - Blue

God, there are some really underrated tracks on these Cowboy Bebop soundtracks. The hits deserve their due, but stuff like this is why I love Yoko Kanno. Really emotive stuff.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:54 pm 

Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues

This is fucking killer. Big heavy stomping and great vocals. Need to dig into the lyrics.

Teleboy1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:01 pm 

The Band - Woodstock 1969 Bootleg

Short, but great, set from these guys. Blues, Country, Soul, and Rock 'n' Roll all wrapped into one package. Three great lead singers and soaring vocal harmonies. Nothing not to like here.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:27 pm 

Punky punk has never been my thing, especially the 70's stuff, but as I get older, the more interest I have in it.

Buzzcocks - Spiral Scratch 1977 - nearly everyone points to Singles Going Steady to cut their teeth with them, but I beg to differ. This 7" is just about perfect. 4 tracks in ten minutes, and each is unique and as catchy as it gets. So memorable that it wouldn't be surprising if you're thinking about these songs all day. *I also think their first two albums are better places to start than Singles Going Steady, but oh well.

I'm about to say something really stupid. Like when people declare Seasons in the Abyss, South of Heaven, or God Hates Us All the best Slayer album. You know, just ridiculous babble that comes from exposure to something decades later and not understanding, or giving adequate weight, to context. Or just having shit taste. So here goes...

The Damned - Phantasmagoria 1985 - I think this might be my favorite The Damned album. I'm more into early goth rock than I am early punk, so that is a big factor. Not something I'd put a ton of money on, but as of today, I think I'll stand behind this. Good songs and classic goth vibes. Sure, it's cheesy, but I'm good with that too.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:47 pm 

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Juju 1981

Such a great album, and I could listen to "Monitor" for an hour. A track you could put on repeat and not be bothered to move to another. Cruising guitars, bass guitar like bridge cables, and hypnotic vocals. This might turn people off, but I feel that track is the blueprint for Gwen Stefani's style and a good portion of what No Doubt did.

The Creatures - Wild Things 1981 // Feast 1983

A collaboration between Siouxsie and Budgie, the drummer. Cool rhythm driven tracks with her crooning, along with synth atmospheres. I'm new to this, and I like it a lot. Makes me think of New Model Army's rhythm driving music, but I just watched a NMA documentary. I could be imagining things.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next