Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:17 pm 

I don't think you'll miss on a lot of things if you play offline. a lot of messages are the same joke over and over. "Jump here" (and die), variations of "but whole", "No head ahead" for some reason, and randoms "o you don't have the right but o you don't have the right". Also, 90% of the "hidden path ahead" are trolls.

But there are some genuine clues too, and some traps are easily avoided if you heed the messages - and watch for the bloodstains. Personally I prefer the messages on.

Oh and if you leave messages, you get healed a bit when someone rates your message - upvote AND downvote.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:41 pm 

Are you familiar with avantgarde black/death metal band Imperial Triumphant?

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:04 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
Are you familiar with avantgarde black/death metal band Imperial Triumphant?

Yes, they are my favourite video game.

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:20 pm 

That's Aldrich, from Dark Souls 3 by the way. In case anyone else wants to write a snarky comment.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:46 am 

You're right, I didn't remember this boss. Cool t-shirt too. Gotta check this band out.

EvergreenSherbert
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:15 pm 

Funny story, you know how I just bought Elden Ring? Well... I haven't been playing it at all, I actually got sucked back in to Minecraft. It's just so damn relaxing.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:57 am 

I've got like 21 hours into Elden Ring and only just today felt like I was making any progress. Finally got Ranni and Blaidd's questline going proper. Excited to delve into that further.

Anyone else got Card Shark on their radar? Grifting for coinage or just the love of the scam in 1700s France. Drops June 2nd. I'm playing the demo now and it's just as charming as the trailer indicated. Devolver are signed on so you know there's some pedigree. I'm also eyeing Soda Crisis which looks like a purely insane run and gun romp. Waiting for a few more reviews to come to light but the controls seem to be crispy and the action is tight. The shmovement looks right up my alley, similar to Kunai at it's most frenetic (without the sword though, only gunplay).

Okay the Card Shark demo is pretty dang robust. You get taught a range of scams and tricks, some of them honestly took me a minute to figure out. Especially picking up loose cards off the table in an order that benefits my grifting mentor. Now, I'm stupid, so yall will probably get it way faster. But it is SATISFYING when you do get it right. The game requires a bit of memory and just a spot of timing. Really taken aback by how much fun the demo alone is. I think this is gonna be a must-have for me.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:00 pm 

Christ I just beat Elden Ring an hour ago. I had to cheese the final bosses with the invincibility glitch because fuck them. I'm not very good at video games, but I thought I was getting pretty decent at this one, up until these guys. One-shots with heavy armor and over 50 vigor? lol. Whatever. Elden Beast and the Fire Giant are easily the two worst bosses...such a chore to fight...but the others were a ton of fun. I put like 230 hrs into the game, leveled to 204, respecs back and forth between sword of night and flame and rivers of blood (an amazing weapon). There is a huge learning curve if you're new to this developer like I was, but man, I'm glad I played it. This is a seriously deep and impressive game. I hope we get a sequel but for now I have all of the other From Soft games to tackle. I'm torn between starting Bloodborne, Sekiro or Breath of the Wild. Might go with the latter and give my brain and central nervous system a break.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:22 pm 

Which attacks one-shot you? I wore a mix of medium and heavy armor with Vigor 40 and never got one-shot. Maybe I had some elemental resistance to make up for it?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:48 pm 

Yeah nothing the final boss does will one-shot you with this loadout...

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:59 pm 

Spoiler: show
Radagon has a thing where he grabs you and literally pounds you in the head with his weapon and then tosses you the length of the arena.
Was always an instand kill for me, or at the very least that one move depleted >90% of my health.

Last edited by Morrigan on Fri May 27, 2022 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
added spoiler tags

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:56 am 

OK, I don't recall that. I got beaten multiple times by that boss though, so maybe I just didn't notice how much damage it dealt because I was already half-dead.

Check if you have resistance, his attacks all deal holy damage I think. It can make a difference. I had holy resistance for the whole fight thanks to a talisman.

I have to say so far, Elden Ring still beats up Horizon, but that one's also a damned good game. It's gorgeous and vast and the side quests are interesting. I'm also playing Tiny Tina, I love the character I'm playing and the loot is amazing, but there's something about the level design that quite doesn't hit the high notes of Borderlands. The story is hilarious though, there's even a really good Smurf side-quest.

But we all know the GOTY is yet to come. Stray will release soon-ish, probably mid-July. I never asked for a cyberpunk cat game, but it looks really interesting.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:56 am 

Should I play Sekiro or Bloodborne???

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:11 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Should I play Sekiro or Bloodborne???

I hated Sekiro with a passion due to the mechanics, so I would definitely say Bloodbourne.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:57 pm 

Bloodborne x 1000.

It's still FromSoft's best game.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 1:03 pm 

I preferred Elden RIng to Bloodborne, but Bloodborne may be number 2.

Sekmiro is another beast altogether. Basically no RPG elements, you need to be at least decent at parrying, and there are a lot of bosses and demi-bosses, with small areas in-between. If you like parrying and timing attacks, though, I hear it's great, just not my cup of tea.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:11 pm 

I'll throw in a vote for Bloodborne as well - it's my favorite of the ones I've finished. Really enjoy the aesthetics and atmosphere and all that sort of thing. If you can, don't skip The Old Hunters DLC, it's got arguably some of the best fights in the game, as well as tying some loose ends in the story/lore together a bit more, as is often the case with their post-release content.

Sekiro is good stuff, too, but (as mentioned above) easily the most different of From's games like this - certainly not in a bad way, it's a great game too!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:22 am 

I finished Little Nightmares 2. I never played the first one but I don't think you need to unless you're invested in the story. I really enjoyed it. Plenty of horror themes without the jump scares. If there's a third installment then I'm all in for it. Highly recommend playing it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:38 am 

Cool, I started Bloodborne. Great atmosphere so far, with familiar combat techniques and leveling. Even though it isn't open world, the levels still seem big enough to give me the gratification that comes with exploration and finding secrets. One odd thing is that there isn't a jump button. I feel like the game could be 10x more fun (and it's pretty fun as it is) if it allowed you to jump to dodge. Maybe I'm too used to Elden Ring, who knows. But yeah, took me an hour to beat Father Gascoigne, but I'm making some progress.

Long shot but has anyone bought or tested the Asus Flow X13 with the external GPU? I'm thinking of getting it.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:09 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Cool, I started Bloodborne. Great atmosphere so far, with familiar combat techniques and leveling. Even though it isn't open world, the levels still seem big enough to give me the gratification that comes with exploration and finding secrets. One odd thing is that there isn't a jump button. I feel like the game could be 10x more fun (and it's pretty fun as it is) if it allowed you to jump to dodge. Maybe I'm too used to Elden Ring, who knows. But yeah, took me an hour to beat Father Gascoigne, but I'm making some progress.

Long shot but has anyone bought or tested the Asus Flow X13 with the external GPU? I'm thinking of getting it.

Yeah, it feels weird going back to old From Software games that don't allow you to jump. Also, Bloodborne is the only one of their games you can't play at 60 fps which is really odd and disorienting at first, I'm just so used to playing games with higher fps it's a bit nauseating at first. I really hope a remake gets released at some point, it's also their best imho. Don't miss the DLC, it's excellent.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:17 am 

The Red Strings Club was fantastic. Best narrative game I've played since Disco Elysium. If you're into sci-fi narrative and pixel art it's as must.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:57 am 

I did it. I fucked up and bought Evil Dead even though I knew not to, but it's Evil Dead and I couldn't resist.

It's complete garbage. Everything I hate about multiplayer games rolled into one game.

Get dumped onto a team with three other people. They all run around grabbing everything while I'm just chasing behind figuring out what I'm supposed to be doing. I attempt to explore the map, but soon realize there's a car horn blasting, because they've already done everything in the area there is to do and they're waiting for me to get in the car, so we can go to the next spot and I can continue to not know where the gameplay is. There's some kind of stupid "fear meter" that gets filled from not being in the light or some stupid shit. Eventually if it fills up, you become "Possessed" and the A.I. takes control of your player and starts attacking your team. It's a horribly disorienting shit experience of a video game that I will never touch again.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

AlexMercer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:26 pm 

Right now i.m playing Iron Front Liberation 1944 and it,s good.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:14 pm 

Grabbed Souldiers from steam and forgot I had pre-ordered Card Shark because I loved the demo so much. I'm excited to dig into Souldiers though. There are some real dumb reviews on Steam where people didn't play with the controls long enough to figure out how to crouch attack or use a save point. Don't believe anyone telling you it's a roguelike or whatever. It's a true metroidvania as best I can tell. I love the JRPG inspired graphics in a more action oriented setting. Just blazing through the little tutorial and it's accompanying boss I feel like the controls are very tight. There is a light/heavy attack which shows some Souls influence but the movement is crispy and I LOVE when a Metroidvania doesn't make you take damage for rolling through an enemy.

Card Shark is something different entirely. That game is special. I understand the mass appeal may not be there but I'm hoping it catches some momentum and becomes an indie darling.

Curious_dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:11 am 

Lots of news these days. Looking forward to Stray (a game where you play a cat in a cyberpunk world), Season (a chill game about exploring a world on a bike and cataloguing the past), Eternights (hack and slash/dating sim mix), but if you have PS VR, there is also a VR Horizon game that looks cool. SFVI also looks special, it seems like they learned from SFV and decided not to focus only on multiplayer, and of course, FFXVI which I am glad brings back the Fantasy - tired of every game looking more sci-fi with some fantasy, rather than the other way around.

luis_punisher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:48 pm 

I just bought Doom (1993) for Switch, it was pretty cheap. I had only played Doom 2016 and Eternal before, which I love both. But man, that game rocks, has aged well, and it's still quite challenging.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:25 am 

The original Doom games are king. All old id Software first person shooters are. The first of their kind, and still easily among the best.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:58 am 

So now that graphics cards should be getting cheaper, what should I look to replace my RTX 2060 OC? I'm not in a hurry but I'm a bit lost to be honest. Will the 3060 TI be enough of an improvement?

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:43 pm 

I'm pretty sure some versions of the 2080 still beat the 3060, but don't quote me on that.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:10 pm 

Gravetemplar wrote:
So now that graphics cards should be getting cheaper, what should I look to replace my RTX 2060 OC? I'm not in a hurry but I'm a bit lost to be honest. Will the 3060 TI be enough of an improvement?

It's going to depend on a few things, including the games you play, the framerate you aim to hit, and the resolution you play at.

I pulled up this benchmark aggregation site and put the two cards in question in. Especially if you can sell your card after you upgrade, it wouldn't be the worst thing, but if you are just using a 60hz 1080p monitor, you could very well already be maxing out everything as long as there's not an issue elsewhere (CPU holding back performance). It might not realistically result in meaningful improvement on your individual machine, if that were the case.

This article about/documenting the start of the price decrease could be useful general information, and the same site does an ongoing feature for suggested graphics cards at different price points for different use cases (read: game resolution/framerate/settings). The 3060 Ti is actually featured, and described as "Good for 1440p Gaming", which makes sense given what I mentioned about it seeming potentially overkill for 1080p.

Crypto bullshit aside, waiting is generally a fine default choice, as you in the future will be able to obtain greater performing hardware for lesser sums of money, be it an older higher end card or a newer mid range card or whatever the situation may end up being. If you're not sure, and you aren't experiencing issues with playing the games you want to play, just waiting and letting the dust settle a bit more isn't a bad plan.

Hopefully some of this all can be helpful for you, even if it might not be the most straightforward answer. I can weigh in more if it is desired, but at some point it does come down to personal financial choice and how much a certain level of upgrade is worthwhile or justifiable to the individual.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:41 am 

SolstafirAquilaria wrote:
Gravetemplar wrote:

It's going to depend on a few things, including the games you play, the framerate you aim to hit, and the resolution you play at.

I pulled up this benchmark aggregation site and put the two cards in question in. Especially if you can sell your card after you upgrade, it wouldn't be the worst thing, but if you are just using a 60hz 1080p monitor, you could very well already be maxing out everything as long as there's not an issue elsewhere (CPU holding back performance). It might not realistically result in meaningful improvement on your individual machine, if that were the case.

This article about/documenting the start of the price decrease could be useful general information, and the same site does an ongoing feature for suggested graphics cards at different price points for different use cases (read: game resolution/framerate/settings). The 3060 Ti is actually featured, and described as "Good for 1440p Gaming", which makes sense given what I mentioned about it seeming potentially overkill for 1080p.

Crypto bullshit aside, waiting is generally a fine default choice, as you in the future will be able to obtain greater performing hardware for lesser sums of money, be it an older higher end card or a newer mid range card or whatever the situation may end up being. If you're not sure, and you aren't experiencing issues with playing the games you want to play, just waiting and letting the dust settle a bit more isn't a bad plan.

Hopefully some of this all can be helpful for you, even if it might not be the most straightforward answer. I can weigh in more if it is desired, but at some point it does come down to personal financial choice and how much a certain level of upgrade is worthwhile or justifiable to the individual.

Thanks for the response. I've been playing on my 1080p monitor, mostly because AAA games won't run on the 1440p one (I have a dual setup). My CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT so I think my GPU is currently the weakest link on my PC. As you say I wanted to start using the 1440p monitor and I had read the 3060 Ti was a good choice. Glad to know it's indeed an option.

I think I'll wait a little but at least now I know where to star, will keep an eye on those sites. Thanks again!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:07 pm 

Just finished Disco Elysium yesterday. That game was certainly...a game. What I thought was going to be a simple "solve the murder" case turned into something a lot more convoluted. In the end I didn't even manage to do all the missions, such as...
Spoiler: show
getting the two signatures for Evrart (despite trying), or looking in the chimney for the Doomed Commercial Area, or finding out why Harry kept looking at a blank wall behind the library (was that even anything?), or even read that book from Steben.

That said, it ended up being a huge pleasure to play. The voice acting was incredibly detailed. The story is rich but you can ignore a lot of it if you're not interested in that part. Great work, ZA/UM!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:22 am 

I bought a Switch 4 weeks ago and just opened it last night. Hooked it up to my TV and had no sound. Researched and saw I'm one of many who have this problem. I tweaked my tv settings but still can't get sound. Not sure why. Whatever, I bought it for travel anyway, so the next thing I did was turn it on in handheld mode. Synced my earbuds and everything works fine. I inserted Breath of the Wild and started playing and ho-ly-shit the game font is small. I mean, it's so tiny that it honestly might make the game unplayable for me. Even with my glasses on I can't read anything unless the machine is literally less than a foot from my face. How on earth could they allow that to pass an inspection check lol?? I took it out and put in Dark Souls remastered and the same thing - tiny, microscopic fonts. What an absolute joke. Hopefully it'll be tolerable enough to kill 3-5 hours on an airplane, but man, it's a disappointment.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:20 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
I bought a Switch 4 weeks ago and just opened it last night. Hooked it up to my TV and had no sound. Researched and saw I'm one of many who have this problem. I tweaked my tv settings but still can't get sound. Not sure why. Whatever, I bought it for travel anyway, so the next thing I did was turn it on in handheld mode. Synced my earbuds and everything works fine. I inserted Breath of the Wild and started playing and ho-ly-shit the game font is small. I mean, it's so tiny that it honestly might make the game unplayable for me. Even with my glasses on I can't read anything unless the machine is literally less than a foot from my face. How on earth could they allow that to pass an inspection check lol?? I took it out and put in Dark Souls remastered and the same thing - tiny, microscopic fonts. What an absolute joke. Hopefully it'll be tolerable enough to kill 3-5 hours on an airplane, but man, it's a disappointment.

^
Is font-size problem really a thing? I play my Switch on hand-held mode at least 70% of the time and don't recall ever feeling like the size of font was a problem. I haven't played it for a couple months, but yeah.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:20 am 

Yes it's a problem. There's a Reddit thread with like 2000 replies on the topic and everyone's complaning.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:38 pm 

I just finished Norco. Sci fi + magic realism + ppetty cool point an click game. Not sure if I really understood what's going on but I loved it.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:47 pm 

Cuphead DLC's out!!!

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:09 pm 

RE3 was cool but not as great as RE2. Now waiting for the RE4 remake.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:39 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Cuphead DLC's out!!!

The what?

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:34 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Razakel wrote:
Cuphead DLC's out!!!

The what?
This: https://youtu.be/LRprhHugJNY

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 927, 928, 929, 930, 931, 932, 933 ... 940  Next